Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

4 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Points allowed per game is a bad metric.for evaluating defenses.

LOL you have got to be kidding?  yards are meaningless if you dont get in the endzone.  its skewed as well because when the pats blow a team away and let them rack up garbage yards, it goes against their stats.

and brady rode corey dillon and a ridiculous defense to his first 3 rings.  he was barely throwing for 20 TDs a season those years.  

58 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

watching carr, the redskins would be remiss to not sign cousins.

carr and stafford have a combined 260 million in contracts, and exactly ZERO playoff wins between them both.

someone tell me again how cousins doesnt deserved to be paid like these two after the 3 seasons in a row hes put up with zero run game and zero defense?

5 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

This is sarcasm, right?

Look at points per drive or points per play instead.  Or yards per play.  Even better, use an advanced metric like DVOA.

In every one of their super bowl years, the Pats defense has been somewhere between average and elite.  Usually closer to elite.  Now that I re-read your original post, this is what you were saying.  So we basically agree, just a disagreement over the points per game stat.

2 hours ago, Garcon More Wine said:

and brady rode corey dillon and a ridiculous defense to his first 3 rings.  he was barely throwing for 20 TDs a season those years. 

Brady for his first three rings = game manager

Brady during his ten year SB drought = elite

Brady for his last two SB rings = still elite, also taking a pay cut so his team can afford better talent..

Also, the difference between winning and losing a SB often comes down to luck. Ever Brady SB has been won or lost by less than seven points.  He could easily be 7-0.  Or 2-5.

8 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Points allowed per game is a bad metric.for evaluating defenses.

How? Clearly it’s important the defense didn’t allow many points and the team won Super Bowls...I’m not saying Cousins is Brady  but I am saying he can win with a decent team and that’s not true of 80 percent of players that play his position. Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, are all guys that Kirk is comparable to and have gotten to the big game, all have had ups and downs mediocre seasons etc but their organizations stuck with them and these guys got them to Super Bowls and more years than not had their teams competitive Cousins is very capable of this and has improved every year he’s been in the league the Redskins can’t afford to let him walk unless everyone is ready for 25 more years of guys like Jason Campbell Rex Grossman Danny Wuerffel etc..

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

How

Because it's partly dependent on two factors outside the defense's control: Number of drives per game and average starting field position.

It also doesn't reward the defense enough for takeaways/defensive scoring.

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Danny Wuerffel

I'm having Vietnam flashbacks.....and I wasn't even in Vietnam.

Thinking about Cousins, it still needs to be pointed out that we have not won a playoff game with him and have only made the playoffs once. He and Gruden get measured on how they do in big games and they're both on the wrong side of positive in my opinion. Both KC and Gruden get off to poor starts and both struggle to nail down must win games. While it's certainly not all KC's fault, he is part of the reason for our mediocre seasons the past two years. Here's how I see him:

Positives: Great guy, accurate passer, good arm, some mobility, good enough to win with the right pieces around him, effective runner when he runs, durable, has great numbers for a season. Good team player, 

Negatives: Field vision is suspect, appears to lack confidence in his own ability, rarely carries a team, struggles in big games...especially at home, doesn't extend plays compared to upper echelon QB's in the league, has trouble in the red zone getting TD's.

Now, in his defense, KC hasn't had the security of being handed the keys to the car by management being told "this is your team, we're behind you 100%". I would imagine that could make a big difference in his confidence and overall play. So, my answer to keeping Cousins is a little complex but to simplify it, if the management in place is not sold on him as the guy to take us to the promiseland then don't pay him and move on. Go get your own guy. However, if we dump Bruce and new management likes what they've seen then go all in and make it known to him that you're fully committed to him.

Personally, I'd move on from KC as I'm not convinced he has what it takes to win the big games. I like him, but feel we can do better in the draft. I'd also move on from Jay Gruden for similar reasons....great guy but has shown that we can get close but not do enough to win big games. The Saints game was very telling for me with both KC and JG. 

50 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I keep reading things like "If we dump Bruce" and that Bruce may be in trouble. Does that have any validity? Is it a real rumbling, besides us, that that could happen?

Not sure why people are saying this. They should know that Bruce is not going anywhere. Bruce is tied to the new stadium deal that he is working on so he will be here for awhile. 

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My question for those that feel "we can do better in the draft", WHY?

Where does history suggest that we can do that?  Anything is possible, but certainly not probable.  Why would you dump someone proven at a position that only handful of guys on earth can play at?  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

That goes double in this circumstance.  We aren't the Browns or Giants where we can walk into Rosen/Darnold.  Even Allen and maybe Mayfield go before our pick.    So you got 2 likely scenarios:

A.  Give up a kings ransom to go up 10-12 spots in the draft.  Meaning it would be likely two seasons without first and maybe 2nd rounders that we can use to upgrade other positions because we'd have to expend it here.  So the idea that we let Kirk go and just build this monster defense to me is likely a fantasy because it wouldn't happen via the draft unless they get really likely with later picks or be one of the rare situations where you do it via FA.  

B.  Rely on the next tier of QBs that land at your pick.  When you start relying on the 2nd tier of QBs -- the odds of success become much lower for success.  People cite the rare exceptions but if I recall you are talking about a 15% chance of success.

So these are the circumstances when everything is normal.  That's tough enough. Here we'd be counting on Bruce-Doug defying the odds.  Where we'd be riding on the premise that these dudes aren't just ordinary personnel guys, they are special so if we have to pay through the nose in an RG3 style trade up -- this time they will get it right -- and they are so good at what they do that you don't have to worry about building up the defense without first/2nd rounders for a couple of years because they will find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.  Or yeah don't worry give Bruce-Dan the keys to the QB kingdom and with their mid first round pick, they won't pick the next Gabbert or Ponder or J. Locker or Josh Freeman on and on and on.   They will get a Watson.

Anything is possible but in short you are asking for a team who has bombed at this position so many times to just kill it this time.  That puts a lot of pressure on Bruce-Doug.  I am not a big fan of either's personnel skills.   I am definitely a mile away from thinking these guys are really special as personnel guys because that's what we'd be depending on for this to go well.  That or just wild good luck.   

17 minutes ago, zskins said:

Not sure why people are saying this. They should know that Bruce is not going anywhere. Bruce is tied to the new stadium deal that he is working on so he will be here for awhile. 

If Bruce lets Kirk go and our team goes into the abyss I think Bruce will seal his fate, maybe he won't get fired until after next year but its coming.

The only thing that will save him is a shiny new toy to replace Kirk.

It'd be a damn shame to say the least, if Bruce Allen is allowed to lose Kirk Cousins or pay 34M to keep him for one more season, and keep his job.  Simply the fact that we're having this discussion is enough alone to call for Bruce's firing.  I realize Danny doesn't want to lose his buddy Bruce, but he will have no choice but to can him if either of the two things I posted above happen.  The minority owners will get involved and force Dan's hand if the rumblings out there have even a shed of truth to them.

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It'd be a damn shame to say the least, if Bruce Allen is allowed to lose Kirk Cousins or pay 34M to keep him for one more season, and keep his job.  Simply the fact that we're having this discussion is enough alone to call for Bruce's firing.  I realize Danny doesn't want to lose his buddy Bruce, but he will have no choice but to can him if either of the two things I posted above happen.  The minority owners will get involved and force Dan's hand if the rumblings out there have even a shed of truth to them.

The 29M Transition Tag will keep Cousins for another year if Kirk doesn't want to be here and a record-setting contract offer will keep Cousins here long-term if Kirk wants to be here, the 34M Franchise Tag is not needed. 

No idea how things will play out...but I see Cousins gone in 2018.  I predict the following scenario....Elway fires Vance Joseph...hires Mike Shanahan as HC...Kubiak moves from Broncos consultant to OC...and Broncos sign Cousins in FA.  Sounds crazy until you do the logic.  Elway is in it to win championships....period.  He fired John Fox after making it to the Super Bowl then missing the following year.  Elway is not afraid to make tough decisions.  Elway is friends with Shanahan and from something I recently read, they talk frequently.  Elway admires Shanahan and by giving him another shot with the Broncos with Denver being his home city, Shanahan will be motivated and would likely accept the position to redeem himself.  I don't see ego in play here because Elway has won a Super Bowl already without Shanahan and it would come across as a bold and selfless move that will only increase Elway's legacy.   Kubiak has also made it known recently that he wants back into coaching as a OC and not as HC.  Elway can't go over the head of Joseph and hire Kubiak as his OC because it would be awkward so Elway needs to clean house.  Kubiak is already in the building working in some capacity and would have no problem working under Shanahan again and he knows the offense since it was taught to him by Shanahan.  All three men above are friends and all three can work together and the transition would be seamless allowing the Broncos to win before the window closes on their stellar defense.  Now this is where Cousins comes in.  Broncos desperately need a quarterback and the best one available will be Cousins.  Cousins was drafted by Shanahan who has continually praised him as a top 5 quarterback that can lead a team to the Super Bowl.  Cousins knows the offense...knows the coach...and wants to be wanted.  No one will want him more than Denver now that 49ers look set with Garappolo.   Having these three on board will turn the team around IMO.  Cousins will have receivers and a running game in a system he already knows with a defense to take a lot of the pressure off him.  But there is one other major reason this makes sense.  The biggest obstacle to getting to the Super Bowl is Patriots with Brady and Belichick.  Belichick and Shanahan are both the same age...both have had successful careers as a HC and have won Super Bowls...and both were considered 'geniuses' as OC...Shanahan with offense and Belichick with defense.  Elway needs a HC with experience that can beat New England and not another flavor of the year top coordinator.   This is a match made in heaven....and if it happens then Denver becomes my new team.  The salary cap issue at Denver can be arranged by letting some players go and by having Von Miller restructuring his contract.  Denver can come up with the $ 30 million a year without gutting the roster and still be highly compeitive.  This is my prediction.

Archived