Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cardboard glory

Spaceman Spiff

Judging by the crowd here at the Tailgate, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who geeked out on baseball cards when I was a kid.  I went through spurts of collecting football and basketball cards, but always stuck with baseball cards from the time I was 6 to about the time I was 15-16.  I still have them at my parents house, my mom is under strict orders not to touch any of them or throw them away.  Even the boxes and boxes of worthless late 80s, early 90s Topps cards.  

Curious to see what your favorites are and the stories behind them.

Some of my favorites:

9_2707a_lg.jpeg

it seems stupid and a bit homoerotic now, but this card was amazing when you got it in a pack of 1990 Score baseball cards.  Seeing this card still brings back awesome memories of being a kid, thinking Bo Jackson was a god and stopping everything when you pulled this card out of a pack no matter how many times you got it.

82ToppsRipken-3.jpg

Growing up in Northern VA, well before the Nationals came to town, the Orioles were my team.  Unfortunately, they still are as I can't bring myself to tear away from the team that's caused me more heartache and disappointment over the years than great memories and winning.  

But Cal Ripken was my guy growing up.  Was there for 2,130, 2131 and, coincidentally, the game he sat out to stop the streak.  I had posters of him all over my room, HAD to wear #8 in Little League and had all his stats memorized.  Needless to say I was through the roof when I got this card one year for Christmas.  Still have it tucked away somewhere in a nice plastic case.  

31etrG9cpCL.jpg

I always thought this card was hilarious.  They couldn't give this poor **** a better photo?  

144492.jpg

The 1974 Jim Palmer.  When I was about 10 my dad and I went to visit my grandmother.  I had no idea at the time but my uncle collected baseball cards for one year, 1974, and had a box of them upstairs in the attic at my grandmothers house.  Sorted by teams, rubber bands wrapped around them.  Grandma let me keep the doubles of any card he had and this was one of them.  He'd just gotten elected to the Hall of Fame so I knew he must have been good, that was my 10 year old logic.  I always liked the shadow over the eyes, looked like a real badass to me when I was a kid.  Then I learned he also modeled underwear.  

Never could figure out what the blob was next to him.  I always figured it was Boog Powell.

DHKEUEmUAAA40d8.jpg

I mean...come on.  

1994-Upper-Deck-Michael-Jordan-213x300.j

I remember getting this one in a pack and thinking it was one of the cooler cards I'd ever received.  I never got the one of him taking batting practice for the Sox in the 1991 set until much later, so this was the next best thing.

35517.jpg

To this day, I still don't have the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. card as I collected mostly Topps.  The 1989 Griffey Jr. was THE CARD.  In a lot of ways, it still is.  This was my substitute and I had no shortage of them.  

What are your favorites?

Also, this also a productivity killer . https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lets-celebrate-ken-griffey-jr-s-birthday-special-25-year-old-baseball-cards-011539666.html This guy meets up with famous retired players and other celebrities and they go through old packs together and put together trades.  It's fun to watch someone like Eric Davis or Bobby Bonilla go through cards and tell stories about the guys they find in the packs.  The Alyssa Milano and Hank Azaria episodes are fun.

Gave all of mine to my little brother. 

It was fun... it was not a real investment to me. 

Gave him all of my comics also. 

He kept them and sold them and made about 15k. 

Pretty cool gift. 

Most valuable one that I gave him was a hologram card of the Lombardi trophy. 

Archived