Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor Tribute Thread

LetThePointsSoar

Heard it was the 10 year anniversary on the way in to work today. 

I remember when I heard he died. Got a text from a friend early in the morning. Looked at my phone and couldn't believe it. Just an empty feeling. 

Still get choked up thinking about it. 

Btw, I mentioned this before one of the coolest things I've ever  seen is logging onto cowboyszone that morning to find they changed the board colors from blue and white to burgundy and white and had a little tribute to Sean. 

That was an awesome display. Much respect. 

RIP 21

Probably the greatest pure talent the skins franchise has ever had.  Taken far too early in his life.  Forget about football, tragic losing someone with a family too soon.  

Loved watching him play and is one of the main reasons I decided to play safety.  I hope his family is doing well...RIP 21

Without a doubt my favourite player. I will remember hearing about his death. I was driving to work and the sports update came on the every 20 minutes. 

Incalled everyone one I know to say what happened. 

Very tough day at work. Then watching the whole rest of the evening of tributes. 

The tiing tgat tgat was troubling also that they said he was doing well the night before. 

What a player. RIP 21

Glad someone started this as I remember 10 years ago we all essentially vowed "gone but never forgotten" 

I'll definitely never forget that day.

I woke up to the phone call from a friend who was driving into work and I was a bit out of sorts from just waking up but the long pause and the words "we lost him" were clear as ever. I just sank my head deep into my pillow and thought this can't be real. how? why? didn't matter anymore.

As I got up and got ready for my day of college, I grabbed my jersey - my first jersey I ever got that wasn't a hand me down or given to me - white ST 21. 

Through the day I received a wide range of support. Even when I got to work later that day, I took it off and pinned it to the wall for everyone to see. 

To this day, there's not a game that goes by where I don't think "gosh, what would we be like if he was still around?" a void that has literally not been filled since he passed. 

I remember watching games thinking when things were going bad, it was slipping away or just we needed a spark - "sean's gonna do it. he'll get a pick or strip - something, he'll change the game" and more often than not, he did.

I know for sure, we'll never see this kind of talent again - we'll see close (as we do now even) but never the same. 

He truly was special. A lot has changed in my life but one thing hasn't..... it still sucks, 10 years later. 

RIP ST21

The 10-year anniversary of Sean's death brings me back to this board. I doubt anyone remembers me because I haven't posted in years. Anyway, my heart is heavy today as I remember Sean. He was taken from us so senselessly and much too soon. The biggest loss is that a daughter lost her father, a fiancee lost the man with whom she intended to spend the rest of her life, parents lost a child, friends lost someone special to them. Losing one of the greatest safeties of all time was, and continues to be, a huge blow to Redskins Nation. Besides loving how Sean helped the Redskins excel, I also loved watching Sean's passion and ferocity on the field.  The nickname MEAST was well earned (that's half man, half beast).  To me, Sean's legacy is more than unbelievable football highlights and continuing to inspire another generation of football players.  For all of us, he is an example that we should always give our best, do things with all of your heart, and follow your passions. #RIP21 #GoneTooSoon #NeverForgotten #SeanTaylor #ST #MEAST #GOAT

Only talking about the player, not the man, which clearly the latter is 99.99999% of what matters:

I've gotten married and had two kids since he was killed.  He's been my favorite player since he was drafted, my signature hasn't changed except to add bubba to the list I wish I didn't have, he's the only jersey I wear, and one of my kids was to be his namesake but genders didn't work out (clearly I hate my kids).

I hate that my kids will never understand what I'm showing them when I point out his play.  It's all in non-HD and every safety since has wanted to be him and his been a B-rate version at best (Chancellor) and an F-rate at worst (not Chancellor).  It's like appreciating the counter run today when you didn't know football in the 70's or before.  You just can't.

As for those dumb arguments prior to his death about whether or not he was good, I feel just as strongly about him being a god in cleats (as I said well before he was taken from us) as I did then.  There's no martyrdom or postmortem mythology there; he really was that good.

There are two types of people:  Those who appreciated what kind of a once-in-a-lifetime player he was, and those who missed out.

I've told this story before, but I've been a Redskins fan since I was 5 years old, but my very first Redskins game I got to see live didn't come until I was 29.  I showed up, wearing my favorite players' jersey, none other than Sean Taylor's #21, and I couldn't wait to see him live.  He got hurt that day, and little did we all know that it would be the last time he would ever set foot on a field.

Still have the ticket to this day from November 11, 2007.

Hate it.  The world lost a great one.  Never forgotten.

Hail.

Happened the day after my birthday and had the day off work, was living at home with my mom while the home I purchased was being renovated.  She woke up me up early in the AM and said Sean Taylor had been shot.  I immediately woke up which I rarely do, and turned on CNN and saw the helicopter view of his house and all that was going on.  I recall being shaken up but naively thinking because he was shot in the leg, that he'd be okay but might miss the rest of the season.

The very next morning I was scheduled to go to work and my mom woke me up again, this time earlier in the a.m. and said "I'm sorry Michael, he died".  I was so shocked and saddened and felt sort of guilty about it.  Like why am I so broken up over a football player I've never met?  I actually called into work that morning.  In fairness, I really hated my job at that time.  I just honestly felt depressed and conflicted with why it was hitting me so hard.  I recall watching endless coverage about it and damn near crying.

My last memory of him was actually the Cardinals vs. Redskins game at Fed Ex that I attended with a friend of mine that is a lifelong Cardinals fan.  I remember we were both inebriated, Sean had a pick and I was just screaming in my friends face "Sean F'ing Taylor baby! Wooooohh!".  Not long after his death, I purchased several 21 stickers on Ebay.  I've had quite a few vehicles since that time and I just placed the last one I had square in the middle of the back window of the truck I bought last summer.

RIP Sean.

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

I've told this story before, but I've been a Redskins fan since I was 5 years old, but my very first Redskins game I got to see live didn't come until I was 29.  I showed up, wearing my favorite players' jersey, none other than Sean Taylor's #21, and I couldn't wait to see him live.  He got hurt that day, and little did we all know that it would be the last time he would ever set foot on a field.

Hail.

I was there, too.  Not my first, but man, when he hurt his knee it was like watching Superman get injured.  I remember watching him walk back to the locker room, and I still can't believe that's the last time I'll ever see him.

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

Hail.

I was there, too.  Not my first, but man, when he hurt his knee it was like watching Superman get injured.  I remember watching him walk back to the locker room, and I still can't believe that's the last time I'll ever see him.

17 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Hey man, I was just about to PM you.  Didn't you make that amazing video after he died, the "As Long As We Remember Sean Taylor Forever" one?  For some reason I can't find it in non-crap bitrate anywhere.

Thanks!

Here's a link to a good quality version. I've seen other people upload it and change the music, which sucks, because even if you don't like the song, it was edited directly to the music. 

Anyway ... sad day. 

dissident2, your video helped get me through dealing with Sean's death.  It still hits me hard, especially every November 27 and April 1 as well as random times -- and I always pull up your video.  I love that you used uplifting music rather than something morbid and haunting.  It is a great celebration of Sean's unbelievable football career, which of course was much too short. 

My dad was still working with Snyder and the Redskins back then. I remember him mentioning a few days before thanksgiving that Dan and Sean Taylor might join us for thanksgiving. That Monday morning when I was waking up for school, my mom said my dad had left home around 6 AM because of what happened. That was a pretty rough day... that following week I remember being at the Redskins vs Bills game at FedEx. The mood in the stadium after we lost that game...that was the saddest I've ever seen it. RIP #21. 

43 minutes ago, Burgundy&Gold4Ever said:

dissident2, your video helped get me through dealing with Sean's death.  It still hits me hard, especially every November 27 and April 1 as well as random times -- and I always pull up your video.  I love that you used uplifting music rather than something morbid and haunting.  It is a great celebration of Sean's unbelievable football career, which of course was much too short. 

Thank you, that means a ton! It helped me get through it, too. There were so many videos that were great, but they were just so gut-wrenchingly sad and depressing. Which obviously couldn't be helped. Not that this one is really cheerful, but I really wanted to do something that celebrated what the man did and that left some sort of positive feeling at the end. I remember that morning so well when it was announced that he'd died.  I went to bed hoping he'd be OK, as they were reporting that he was responding somewhat to the treatment and may be coming out of his coma. I was so shocked to hear that he'd died. I was also really surprised by how upset it made me.  Not that I wasn't going to be upset for the death of a fellow human being way too soon, but I didn't know the guy, had never met him. But man ... something about the way he played was just so inspiring and uplifting. So pure. He just had an aura about him on the field. To have him representing OUR team inspired so much pride. 

Anyway, I'm making myself veklempt now ... thanks for the kind words. :)

Archived