Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

One tidbit that's never left my mind was shortly after Scot got canned, Chick Hernandez's tweet "Kirk Cousins camp indicates that he will never negotiate a long term deal in Washington if Bruce Allen is still team president."  He deleted that tweet shortly thereafter.  But I never thought it came from nowhere and always thought it meant something.  Chick even doubled down on it's legitimacy the night of the Alex Smith trade.  If Kirk's camp was willing to relay that to Chick, I find it very hard to believe that the Redskins themselves were caught off guard by it.

Again, a remotely competent FO finds out if they can get a contract done early in the offseason and, if they realize it's unlikely, solicits trade offers for him. The idea that people are excusing waiting until July and then throwing out a lowball offer and acting surprised they couldn't reach an accord, is frankly hysterical.

Of course, that all assume Bruce actually had any intent to get anything done with Kirk last year, which he surely didn't.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He’s saying that May is entirely too late to offer the deal, worse is waiting until the weekend before the deadline to see where his head is at.

O.K. so making their second offer in May, and then after no responses and just before the deadline, inquiring if a deal is even possible.

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But it’s not a good look if they offered even less than that prior to the May 2nd offer.

Many NFL executives, coaches and agents at the NFL combine said they believe that a contract averaging $20 million per year ( the Redskins offered ) would be a fair offer for Cousins, - Washington Post - March 2, 2017

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not sure how I missed that or maybe I didn’t and simply don’t remember.  But it’s not a good look if they offered even less than that prior to the May 2nd offer.

There were reports that they made the offer early in the offseason, and assured Cousins another one was coming later, then came back with the same offer. Don't know how accurate that is.

Point remains, if you have a major asset like that, and the realistic options are 1 year, $24 mil and then lose for nothing, trade, or sign long-term, any GM worth a barista's salary finds out before the FA period starts if a long-term deal is likely.

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

There were reports that they made the offer early in the offseason ( 20 mill ), and assured Cousins another one was coming later ( that's what they did,) then came back with the same offer.( False ) Don't know how accurate that is.

Half-way accurate.

I would love to walk into the next meeting with Dan, Bruce, Jay, Doug and whoever else and say this:

"Listen up, when are you boys gonna figure it out that the way to become a dominant team in this league is to build the offensive line and get a stud running back in here? The last time we made a serious commitment to the run we made the playoffs with Alfred Morris, an unknown back, who dominated games. Back in our heyday we won 3 Super Bowls with a dominant offensive line and a commitment to the running game. Trade back in the first round, draft an offensive lineman and stud running back and commit to the run. Sign a run stopping lineman in free agency and grab one of the available safety's and get to work....this is not rocket science, the blueprint was drawn up by our own HOF legendary head coach so get your heads out of your asses and do what he did. Now all of you get the hell out of here and go do some soul searching."

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Man, y’all are still talking about Cousins?  He’s gone, he got overpaid like he wanted.  Good for him.  Let’s move on.

Well apparently people still want to talk about Kirk and his big fat contract. These people can just go here instead to do that. ;)

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I would love to walk into the next meeting with Dan, Bruce, Jay, Doug and whoever else and say this:

"Listen up, when are you boys gonna figure it out that the way to become a dominant team in this league is to build the offensive line and get a stud running back in here? The last time we made a serious commitment to the run we made the playoffs with Alfred Morris, an unknown back, who dominated games. Back in our heyday we won 3 Super Bowls with a dominant offensive line and a commitment to the running game. Trade back in the first round, draft an offensive lineman and stud running back and commit to the run. Sign a run stopping lineman in free agency and grab one of the available safety's and get to work....this is not rocket science, the blueprint was drawn up by our own HOF legendary head coach so get your heads out of your asses and do what he did. Now all of you get the hell out of here and go do some soul searching."

I feel you.  But, in all honesty, there wasn’t really a strong commitment to the running game.  Morris was a 6th round pick.  Really just struck lightening in a bottle with RG3 & the zone read option...

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe, still in those last 5/6 superbowls I haven't seen a dominant running game from both teams and huge OLs.

I'm seeing tough D though in most cases.

If your blueprint of success is the Dallas Cowboys... Well, they're going nowhere in playoffs despise having a huge OL and a stud RB. Mostly because they have a crappy D.

Offense fills-in stadium, Defense wins Championship.

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe, still in those last 5/6 superbowls I haven't seen a dominant running game from both teams and huge OLs.

I'm seeing tough D though in most cases.

If your blueprint of success is the Dallas Cowboys... Well, they're going nowhere in playoffs despise having a huge OL and a stud RB. Mostly because they have a crappy D.

Offense fills-in stadium, Defense wins Championship.

Keep in mind the league is cyclical. At some point everyone is going to go small. And then the large massive OL and strong running game will be extremely difficult to stop. 

But you cant totally go that route and sacrifice a passing game either with the league where it’s at currently.

23 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't think it was ever denied that Kirk wanted to make all the money. And once he played under the second tag, it was pretty obvious what he had played himself into.

No one is going to say, "I'm going to change how the NFL does contracts," because that would be suicide in a negotiation. But I've been explaining exactly how this was all going to play out as soon as I realized that Kirk was thrilled to play one year under the tag.

Last year, before he signed the second tender, I said that the Skins starting point had to be $75 million guaranteed. A year later, Kirk signed for $82 guaranteed.

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE ACCEPT THE FACT THAT I KNOW EVERYTHING?!?!?!?!

Then there is no excuse that he walked away for no compensation. Teams are trading players more than I've ever seen and we let the most sought-after to-be FA walk for a comp pick. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Then there is no excuse that he walked away for no compensation. Teams are trading players more than I've ever seen and we let the most sought-after to-be FA walk for a comp pick. 

The only way to get compensation was to trade him under a tag either last year or the year before. And he still had the leverage, because all you would have been trading is a guy on a one year deal.

There was never a good way of trading him.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The only way to get compensation was to trade him under a tag either last year or the year before. And he still had the leverage, because all you would have been trading is a guy on a one year deal.

You sure?

We just traded for a guy on a one year deal... Sending a 3rd and a promising guy in the process.

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm not saying they could have maxed out the return, but if they had traded him on the tag after 2015, they actually would have been giving the trade partner two years of team control since they'd have the $24M second franchise option too. 

Archived