Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Stormy said:

Rivera’s defense was utter trash this year in Carolina (how could it not be with Perry Fewell as DB coach?), and hasn’t been as good in general since McDermott left for Buffalo. Here’s hoping he can assemble the right staff to rekindle the defensive magic, while keeping KOC at OC. I think we have a better base of defensive talent for him to work with than the past few Panthers teams have. 

But let's be sceptical. That Bears D he coached was loaded. Even I could have made that work.

Was his work with SD that good? He switched his D style to fit the personal there, well done. But was it really a good unit? 

It looks like McDermott had big role in success in Carolina. 

I'm with the posters that say this is a huge blow to Bruce's ego.  He was "the man" for 10 years and now is being told publicly that he's too incompetent from a football standpoint to be involved. 

However, he can still hang around to help out with the new stadium fiasco.  If he had any pride he would resign and retire. If he sticks around, I think it would be a pretty big mea culpa.

Rivera doesn't impress me much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Rivera

2011- 6-10

2012- 7-9

2013- 12-4 , 0-1 in playoffs- lost divisional game

2014- 7-8-1, 1-1 in playoffs- lost divisional game: Won division with losing record

2015- 15-1, 2-1 in playoffs- lost Superbowl

2016- 6-10

2017- 11-5, 0-1 in playoffs- lost wild card game

2018- 7-9

2019- 5-7, fired after 12 weeks.

76-63-1, 3-4 in playoffs

He was on shakey ground in late 2012.  Tepper could've fired him after last year but gave him one more shot.

He's really underwhelming. Just a retread who will eventually flame out here.  Marvin Lewis would be even worse, with same result.

Especially, if we ended up hiring Urban Meyer as GM; shouldn't Urban pick the guy. Urban can get us a young up and coming college coach or even an NFL coach.

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You’re failing to realize that Ron Rivera’s resume would be AMAZING if he coached this trash ass organization. Trying to downplay his accomplishments is asinine coming from a Redskins fan.

He had 3 winning seasons in 9 years-- how is he a good coach?!

Just now, cgm110 said:

He had 3 winning seasons in 9 years-- how is he a good coach?!

First of all they were a 2-14 dumpster fire when he inherited the team.  By year 3 he won the division and made the playoffs the next two seasons, including the Super Bowl.  What about any of that doesn’t scream better than anything the Skins have had in 20+ years??

Ron wouldn't be that successful here.

It's rare for coaches to be successful on their second gig unless they weren't that successful in their first gig.

Andy Reid hasn't yet duplicated the record he had in Philadelphia with Kansas City. 5 Championship game appearances.  Only one so far with Chiefs.

Jimmy Johnson wasn't that successful in Miami, compare to Dallas.

Ron is coach that I don't see long term consistent success. I give him 4 years before he's fired.

This team needs a fresh start.  A new GM with his own personnel guys and the gm bring in a new, younger coach.

Ron here, means we just promoted someone already here.  We need a clean slate and not be affliated with anyone here and we young first time nfl coach- hungry to prove his mark.  We don't need some fired retread, just desperate to still be an NFL head coach.  So, he will take what he can.  

I have a slight concern Dan is going to go overboard and create some kind of over complicated GM/Exec structure above the HC position. Seems like he's about to throw some serious investment/cash/resource at that structure.

Not saying that is a negative all, Bruce moving out of the picture is an instant win, just need to make sure the end result of these moves is a workable situation for the organisation.

Needs to have clearly defined roles and authoritative responsibilities to make it work, especially with individuals with strong egos and or dictator type tendencies.

36 minutes ago, -JB- said:

First of all they were a 2-14 dumpster fire when he inherited the team.  By year 3 he won the division and made the playoffs the next two seasons, including the Super Bowl.  What about any of that doesn’t scream better than anything the Skins have had in 20+ years??

Shanny had won 2 superbowls and everyon thought he'd turn as around-- he lasted 4 seasons

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Rivera doesn't impress me much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Rivera

2011- 6-10

2012- 7-9

2013- 12-4 , 0-1 in playoffs- lost divisional game

2014- 7-8-1, 1-1 in playoffs- lost divisional game: Won division with losing record

2015- 15-1, 2-1 in playoffs- lost Superbowl

2016- 6-10

2017- 11-5, 0-1 in playoffs- lost wild card game

2018- 7-9

2019- 5-7, fired after 12 weeks.

76-63-1, 3-4 in playoffs

He was on shakey ground in late 2012.  Tepper could've fired him after last year but gave him one more shot.

He's really underwhelming. Just a retread who will eventually flame out here.  Marvin Lewis would be even worse, with same result.

Especially, if we ended up hiring Urban Meyer as GM; shouldn't Urban pick the guy. Urban can get us a young up and coming college coach or even an NFL coach.

Of course Synder should hire a GM first and let the GM pick a coach.  Why would Synder do something that makes sense?

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Well, you’ve figured it out.  Nobody wins here.  

I don't disagree, but a guy who had a losing record in 2/3 of his seasons isn't who I see as rejuvenating this team.... I'd rather take a flyer on a young guy like Robert Saleh and give him 3-4 years than a guy whos failed before 

41 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It's better than what we've had for sure, but it's still mediocrity overall. Yes, mediocrity is a lot better than "abysmal" but it's hard to get excited about this guy's résumé if you're looking for someone to lead the organization back to consistent winning. 

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Winning coach of the year multiple

times and going to playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons & playing in a Super Bowl sure screams of mediocrity.  Where do you guys come up with this ****???

Look, I don't hate the guy, and like I said, he's an improvement over anything we've had for the last 10 years. But yeah, he's mediocre. The best argument you could make is that he's in the "upper level" of mediocre. He has an overall winning percentage of .546 in 9 years. Never had back to back winning seasons. Six losing seasons out of nine. What about that DOESN'T scream mediocre? 

Archived