Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

16 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I hear you on this, I live in the Baltimore area and it's so hard to keep my daughter allied with the skins and not flock to the dirty birds with RG3. lol.  All her friends root for either the Ravens or some other out of state bandwagon team like the pats or broncos.  I think she will always hate Dallas, NY, and the Eagles so at least I dont have to worry about that. But its hard to tell her to root for the skins when we make public mistake after public mistake, and the team down the road won a super bowl she remembers.

Yeah its not easy.   Some say based on last years ratings-stadium attendance they see some apathy creeping in.  I'd say with some rare exceptions most people do care about who is in charge of the team.  I think you can escape a guy like Bruce running things if they were really good but the 7-9, 8-8 stuff doesn't really float from what I've noticed the typical fan's boat to the degree where they can overlook everything else. 

That's why I can actually get Dan's issue with Bruce if Chris Russell is correct which is stop doing and saying things that embarrass the team.  For me its not fun turning on a draft program and hearing your front office (from their point of view) is the worst run in the league and all the other crap we are exposed to.

Fans that grew up with the team for years are immune to that stuff but knowing some youngish fans (not just my kids) I don't think the Redskins are a sexy team to like for out of towners.  And that's a change from the past.   I became a Redskins fan even though I didn't grow up in DC.  I heard Matthew McConaughey story of what made him a Redskins fan coming from Texas.    My bet is I don't see that happening much with new generations.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah its not easy.   Some say based on last years ratings-stadium attendance they see some apathy creeping in.  I'd say with some rare exceptions most people do care about who is in charge of the team.  I think you can escape a guy like Bruce running things if they were really good but the 7-9, 8-8 stuff doesn't really float from what I've noticed the typical fan's boat to the degree where they can overlook everything else.  That's why I can actually get Dan's issue with Bruce if Chris Russell is correct which is stop doing and saying things that embarrass the team and yeah its not fun turning on a draft program and hearing your front office (from their point of view) is the worst run in the league and all the other crap we are exposed to.

Fans that grew up with the team for years are immune to that stuff but knowing some youngish fans (not just my kids) the Redskins aren't a sexy team to like.   I became a Redskins fan even though I didn't grow up in DC.  I heard Matthew McConaughey story of what made him a Redskins fan coming from Texas.    My bet is I don't see that happening much with new generations.  

The whole name thing doesnt help either, so yeah I doubt we get as many/if any converts from out of area as we did on past.  As a long time fan and DC native, I kind of relish the bad boy image due to the name issue, but not when it's buffoonery in the front office...

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The point is, I won't let the perception of anyone in the front office--my own perception or the conventional wisdom--dictate how I should view moves made by the team. I just focus on the moves themselves. I will care "who made the sausage" if I get food poisoning lol...if it's wel made, I'll just come back again. I they fire their chef and the new cook makes the food just as well if not better, fantastic. Notice that nowhere in there did I say "Well, I no longer get the runs when eating here, so I'm happy" lol...

I get the point if Bruce was a new guy and we are judging him fresh.  I might like or not like Bruce's next move but either way he's not at the tipping point with me where I'd like or dislike him purely based on what's next.  For my opinion to change that globally it would have to be a macro move.  I've heard hours and hours of things about him and made many observations.  I think most people are comfortable having a global view of the dude. 

I can care less about conventional wisdom or the media's take.  For example, I love the idea of taking a RB at 13.  Most of the local media thinks that makes me a moron.   Having said that just because the media doesn't like Bruce doesn't make them wrong.  I actually don't think its a coincidence that they like Jay and Kirk for example and not Bruce.  Personality, maybe?  And personality IMO matters.

I think the formula of having a good QB driving a below-average team to being average or better is the formula for 90% of the NFL, not just the Redskins.

I looked it up as part of another debate.  Most of the playoff teams had more going for them than just that.  Most of them for example could run the ball well.  Some were good at stopping the run.  Some had good special teams.  The Saints were mediocre for years with this formula that you say 90% of teams have.  And I do agree they have mediocrity nailed.  

I care, but in comparison to winning I care a LOT less lol...as the saying goes, winning cures everything. Plus I care more about unethical dealings than bad publicity. The one quote about not being sure you can take Allen at his word bothered me, but again I'd rather know the details behind the quote and the poll before letting either affect me too much.

It's not the first rodeo though of people questioning Bruce's character or how he operates.   We don't hear for example the same as to Schaffer and Schaffer actually negotiates some of these deals himself.  Coincidence?  If so why would people have some odd ax to grind with Bruce or why is Bruce so misunderstood?

Want to try a mental exercise? The type I do intrinsically because I can't help myself? lol...imagine the poll being conducted in the opposite direction, with NFL GMs and team presidents ranking agents as trustworthy and most and least prepared for contract discussions. Then take it a step further....what if the agents that viewed the Skins, Browns and Bengals so low were themselves ranked at the bottom by the GMs. Would that tell you anything...it would me.

This point and some of the others lend to the idea that Bruce is somewhat of a new discovery.  Lets keep an open mind and give the dude a break.  I am not at a tipping point with Bruce where one article or survey sways me one way or another.  And its not because I just enjoy disliking the job he's doing just for the heck of it or i really liked what he had cooking but changed my mind because someone in the media ran a bad report.

Like I said my opinion has changed and evolved on many key figures in the organization over time including Bruce.  I am not stuck on a position but if things start flying at me from multiple directions and I see things that to me look classless and idiotic with my own eyes like when he read that Kirk press release -- it ALL together paints a picture.

In short what I've seen publicly about Bruce has actually flowed perfectly as opposed to conflicted to what people have said about him.

And I agree he's a so so personnel guy and knows how to build a so so team but I give him lower marks than so so because of what he is doing publicly to the perception about the team.  We are IMO almost back to square one (Vinny's days) to the lack of respect we get for how things are run here.

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

"The most trusted guy was Ozzie Newsome and he's the guy what whored Ryan Grant" - Sports Junkies

I was listening, Junkies also not too kind to Bruce.  They were going on about how Bruce is a bad guy and is bad at his job and if you meet Bruce like they did that notion becomes clear as a bell.

I'd add the Junkies were much rougher on Bruce than Bell was, the USA Today writer, Bell was making points but dancing around them a little versus being overly explicit without trying to sound too harsh. You had to read between the lines a little with them. Fortunately he did two segments so it was easier to piece things together that way.   The Junkies on the other hand were just ripping Bruce's head off with a sledge hammer.  I recall one of the Junkies in another segment said Bruce is the biggest villain in DC sports. 

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

"The most trusted guy was Ozzie Newsome and he's the guy what whored Ryan Grant" - Sports Junkies

I was just listening to this. Hilarious. One of them also said, "I wouldn't be in the same room as that douche (Allen). That guy is just a piece of garbage. All you've got to do is meet him. Everyone knows. There's a reason he was voted least trusted, biggest piece of garbage. In fairness, even to Bruce, who is the biggest piece of garbage in the league, it is a popularity contest, too. It just shows he's not popular, too. So he's not just a piece of garbage, he's an unpopular piece of garbage." 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Out of all the stuff that was said during that entire segment about Bruce being a steaming pile of dung, you chose this quote for this thread?

I realize it was done in an effort to discredit the poll, those who answered the poll, or both, but C'mon man.  SIP did a good job providing the context for the poll not too far back.  There was some elaboration into why Ozzie and Bill were rated so highly even though they can be known to be shrewd negotiators as well.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Out of all the stuff that was said during that entire segment about Bruce being a steaming pile of dung, you chose this quote for this thread?

I thought that was the funniest and the most awkward. I'm not here to argue the poll or whatever. i have questions about it but its low on my totem pole. I just choose to laugh right now at things I find funny.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I thought that was the funniest

Over this?

One of them also said, "I wouldn't be in the same room as that douche (Allen). That guy is just a piece of garbage. All you've got to do is meet him. Everyone knows. There's a reason he was voted least trusted, biggest piece of garbage. In fairness, even to Bruce, who is the biggest piece of garbage in the league, it is a popularity contest, too. It just shows he's not popular, too. So he's not just a piece of garbage, he's an unpopular piece of garbage." 

Well, perhaps its more sad and true than it is funny, but...

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Over this?

Well, perhaps its more sad and true than it is funny, but...

But that's EB's normal take on him. Its nothing new so yeah I found it more funny. EB challenging him to a boxing match was funny the first time around but not as much any more. Grant and Danny calling him Goose Allen was a funny segment the first time, but not as much any more.

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But that's EB's normal take on him. Its nothing new so yeah I found it more funny. EB challenging him to a boxing match was funny the first time around but not as much any more. Grant and Danny calling him Goose Allen was a funny segment the first time, but not as much any more.

The Grant-Danny winning off the field one which they still do on occasion I think is funny -- not so much goofing on the line but the callers descriptions of their versions of winning off the field.

I got to give Bruce this for his faults -- he does lend to some humorous radio segments up there with Vinny.  The Kurt-Kirk stuff reminds me of the Vinny always botching Orkapo's name.   I predict the Kirk press release is going to go down as a classic when he leaves -- that one is going to grow and be part of the lore.   His comments about the QB and also with his litany of things the President of the team too should be judged by their W-L record -- I'd bet money will be played again by the radio to death whenever he gets reassigned. 

"I wouldn't be in the same room as that douche (Allen). That guy is just a piece of garbage. All you've got to do is meet him. Everyone knows. There's a reason he was voted least trusted, biggest piece of garbage. In fairness, even to Bruce, who is the biggest piece of garbage in the league, it is a popularity contest, too. It just shows he's not popular, too. So he's not just a piece of garbage, he's an unpopular piece of garbage." 

But then again, most people wouldn't want to be in the same room with the guy that provided that quote either. 

Sounds like the lashing out of a prepubescent child who didn't get the contract or new General Manager he wanted for Christmas.

47 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

But then again, most people wouldn't want to be in the same room with the guy that provided that quote either. 

Sounds like the lashing out of a prepubescent child who didn't get the contract or new General Manager he wanted for Christmas.

:ols:  Actually, I'd be willing to bet that the Junkies have more fans than Bruce Allen does.

Eagles beat guy - again Bruce has brought the front office back to square one as a national punch line.

Tv87_sDN_bigger.jpgJimmy Kempski @JimmyKempski 18h18 hours ago
More

If you're an Eagles' fan I would say the following are the ideal outcomes for the first round of the draft for the other 3 NFCE teams: Giants: Draft Saquon. Cowboys: Panic trade up for WR. Redskins: Allow Bruce Allen to keep making decisions.

Get me a GM with a strong background in pro-personnel over one in college scouting. We'll build the college scouting under him to help with the college side/ the draft. Someone that knows not only the players in the league right now, but more importantly all the guys within the division in order to build the team to defeat them and make the playoffs. 

Give me that pro-personnel guy for the job and we'll have a quality GM at the top of the pyramid. 

Hail. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eagles beat guy - again Bruce has brought the front office back to square one as a national punch line.

Tv87_sDN_bigger.jpgJimmy Kempski @JimmyKempski 18h18 hours ago
More

If you're an Eagles' fan I would say the following are the ideal outcomes for the first round of the draft for the other 3 NFCE teams: Giants: Draft Saquon. Cowboys: Panic trade up for WR. Redskins: Allow Bruce Allen to keep making decisions.

I wouldn't call Saquon to the Giants as ideal, really.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-spot-bull****-polls-in-the-news-1825467166/amp?__twitter_impression=true

As old as the NCPP’s twenty questions are, they’re still a good starting point. They’re intended for journalists writing about polls—but now that more bad polls make it into media reports, these questions are useful for readers. They include “Who paid for the poll?” and “What is the sampling error?” and questions about who was actually surveyed. (The NCPP elaborates on the implications of each answer.)

Cohen suggests some new questions: Were the respondents chosen randomly, or did they “opt in” to a survey embedded in a CNN article? The latter skews results a lot, and if those respondents didn’t also answer some demographic questions, it’s hard to un-skew the results. (Cohen says that SurveyMonkey’s respondents tend to be more highly educated, which SurveyMonkey adjusts for, but that otherwise their demographics tend to match national census data.) So with any poll, and especially any online poll, check how the respondents were selected.

I don’t think anyone here is under the impression that this is some super duper scientific survey.

Sure, media can use creative polling to fit their narrative and garner clicks.  But I :ols: at the notion that was done here as a means to discredit poor Bruce Allen.

It seems like a rather simple poll created specifically for this time of year in between FA and the draft.  I realize some of you guys don’t think Bruce is all that bad and to each their own on that front.  But I’m not sure how you can look at what’s transpired over the past few years, his overall history as an exec and person, and come away surprised that he’s not highly thought of.  As if there must be something else at play.

Alright here’s another way to frame the disagreement around Bruce and going to be as brief as possible because I’m sure it will fall on deaf ears.

It’s not that I or some others necessarily love Bruce or the job he’s doing. We are just skeptical how much of this media hoopla surrounding Bruce/Redskins FO is actually honest to god truth, or if the Redskins after 25 years of mediocrity and some of Dan’s past transgressions, to go along with the name controversy, etc make us an easy media target that many latch onto. And before you fire back with “well yeah, they deserve it,” I get it I really do. It’s not a matter of me or some of the others thinking we are the epitome of a well run franchise and the best of the best from the top down. We pretty clearly are not. With that said, some of these agent polls and grant and Danny shows seem like tossing fuel on a fire to rile up all the fans who have latched onto the narrative that Bruce is some sabotaging, narcissistic, evil guy who is the biggest douche of all time. That eagles tweet posted on here. The guy knew by saying something controversial like that it would end up on some redskins board and get him a bunch more clicks and traffic. That’s his goal. If he said something like “Select Da’Ron Payne” it wouldn’t have been posted here and no one would give two craps or pay his Twitter any attention.

Quick something I would like to point out. I vividly remember reading articles during RG3’s magical 7-0 run down the stretch in ‘12 calling Griffin the next big thing in sports, incredible natural born leader, Dan Snyder and the Redskins finally did something right, we were poised to have a 10+ year run with OUR own star QB. That was the talk of the town. That was pretty shortly after the darkest of the dark with the Zorn years that brought Bruce and a FO shakeup in the first place. What do you think the articles in 2009 were saying? What were Eagles beat guys tweeting? What were Grant and Danny talking about? I’m sure it was vastly different than 2012. Media narratives can change in a blink when it comes to sports.

So to continue, Bruce was still here in 2012, and according to many still in charge since he can be credited with all 9 seasons of wins and losses, but I digress. Did Bruce between the years of 2012 and 2018 evolve into some monster? Were there polls about Bruce Allen rating him the least trustworthy executive when he won executive of the year with the Raiders? No, cause the Raiders were winning and no one cares if there’s a douche in the front office. 

Im sure a lot of what is said about Bruce is true. No one is really saying or fighting for Bruce as this FO savior. We just don’t pay the media and local sources nearly as much attention with the realization most of it can be taken with a grain of salt. Like @Califan007 said, judge the moves by the moves themselves. If you remove all of the extra noise, truly deep delve into our roster and study how we have been operating the past 4 seasons since Gruden arrived, I think you would find reality and the narrative that some carry around here and how some in the media portray them do not align. And it’s that fact that annoys people or make it seem like they are sticking up for Bruce Allen or whatever. 

Perhaps its its a different philosophy in general. Some prefer to immerse themselves in media and formulate opinions. Some don’t care about all of that. Some are positive, some negative. That’s way more what lends itself to disagreement than judging whether or not Bruce is good at his job or not. That’s just my perspective though, and I hope it makes sense, but for some reason I envision someone quoting me and bringing up Bruce’s draft history, lol. 

Archived