Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Sounds like Allen is trying to change the narrative thru the media to salvage his reputation so that when (not if) he gets fired from the Redskins he can find another cushy job on another team.  Anyone know of any owners as dumb as Snyder who would hire this fool?

Interestingly Allen was supposedly hired on the behest of Mike Shanahan - essentially Bruce was someone Mike knew he could steam roll into agreeing everything for him.- Allen was a facilitator. 

Interestingly I think this is what Allen is a  facilitator and this is a little bit of his down fall. 

I am one of the few people who kind of stick up for Bruce Allen - but in reality I am more of the mold that I think he is medocre. I am however a huge stability guy. I like what we have right now - on the field - and to a degree in the scouting set up - My worry about ousting Bruce is that it upsets the whole apple cart, and while others will argue that is no bad thing - in my oppinion - stability wins championships. If you could replace Allen with someone better without disrupting everything  then awesome. 

But in my opinion Bruce is a facilitator - He trys to get things done. I like for example under Allen that we tried to beef up the scouting system, that we employed outside contractors (to a degree)  - I actually think Bruce does for the most part let people get on with things - I have heard a lot about Bruce not listening to his scouts - but I think the oppositite - Bruce does listen to his scouts because he realises they know more than he does. 

As a backroom facilitator I actually think Bruce is okay to good - The issue is - he is not seen as a backroom facilitator - He is seen as a guy that is expected to run a football organization and make football decisions. And here i think is where some of the issues stem from - 

- Firstlty as a facilitator he is someone who gives life to someone else's idea and gets it done - Which is great - But it is often reactionary - He lacks his own clear vision - Which is fine when you surround yourself with capable people -

- I think there are capable people at Redskins park - I like Eric Shaffer - I think Kyle Smith is a good guy (in his own right) Scott Campbell , and Alex Santos are solid guys too. And this is the issue - If Allen also knows that there are possibly more capable people in the organization, this could make him paranoid and more than a little controlling and intimidating - to cover up for his failings. It is fine to be a facilitator - to be in on every decision and listening to people - a good manager does that - but a good manager does not inspire fear - and does not attract the nickname of the prince of darkness   - which is the more disturbing thing. 

- I think the ironic thing here is Bruce will survice this by being shuffled off to work exculisvly on the stadium deal - now that this is out in the open - i think it becomes a self fore-filling prophesy - Which might mean he will still be around football - and the Redskins a lot longer than most would imagine .. 

- 

4 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Only thing is no way McVay takes a job Gruden was fired from solely to move him in. 

Thats true... but we also extended Gruden locking him up through 2020... Had we been able to retain Kirk at a decent value, McVay may not have been looking elsewhere knowing that we'd currently be entering the final year of Grudens deal and that (at the time) he was 2 years away from being the frontrunner as HC within a team, system, lockerroom that he'd been in for essentially his entire coaching career.... Not to mention the fact that no team or coach wants to go into a lame duck season, so chances are we would have dismissed Jay this past offseason, gone about the interview process, and McVay could have been the successor. 

Meanwhile....what is Alex Smith up to?

I read that Cousins is down in Atlanta working out with his new Vikings teammates plus other players like Sanu of the Falcons.  Getting a head start on the season.

I hope Smith isn’t down in the Caribbean carrying boulders at the bottom of the ocean.

at $20 million a year football should be a year round occupation....and leaders set the example for the team....

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Fan's @Russellmania621 to the Junkies just now. "Dan is furious with Bruce...he is very frustrated with the leadership of the organization and the constant embarrassments PR wise."

1 reply3 retweets3 likes

Please don’t say this was an old April fools joke and is real. If it’s real there maybe hope after all

3 hours ago, Tay said:

Russell insinuated that Scot was a disaster at Redskins park early in his tenure. Scot's actions apparently led to him being fired

I'm pretty sure the early disaster they are talking about was the report about Scott and the reporter hooking up.  Russini right?

14 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Meanwhile....what is Alex Smith up to?

I read that Cousins is down in Atlanta working out with his new Vikings teammates plus other players like Sanu of the Falcons.  Getting a head start on the season.

Smith said already that he doesn't really believe in the whole concept of getting together early with your receivers. He says it "looks nice" but that it doesn't accomplish much, as I recall. So don't expect to see him doing what Kirk is doing. 

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Please don’t say this was an old April fools joke and is real. If it’s real there maybe hope after all

I heard Russell talking about this yesterday. All I can say is, it's like being angry at a piece of dog crap because it stinks. It's been proven many times over that it stinks. It's genetically structured to stink. That's what dog crap does. Clean up the dog crap instead of cursing it. Then again, this is Snyder we're talking about.

34 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

a good manager does that - but a good manager does not inspire fear - and does not attract the nickname of the prince of darkness   - which is the more disturbing thing. 

That's Snyder in a nutshell. The guy (Snyder) has zero knowledge of how to build and inspire a team, both on the field and within that office. Communication has always been known to suck out there (we've seen plenty of examples of that just recently), people don't have each others' backs, it's an "every man for himself" situation. So it's no wonder he hires people who do the same thing. It's like Keim said recently: if you want to win longterm, you have to hire well, starting at the top, because that trickles down to EVERY FACET of the team. Unfortunately, the owner is who he is, a telemarketing goon, so the hope of him hiring someone who actually knows how to build the crucial intangibles of a team are pretty slim. Allen is definitely NOT that guy. As he's proven throughout his career. 

20 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Smith said already that he doesn't really believe in the whole concept of getting together early with your receivers. He says it "looks nice" but that it doesn't accomplish much, as I recall.

He could very well be right on that front, but I couldn't help but hear it as "My wife won't let me".  :ols:

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Actually, no you can't. There is a site that does exactly what you are saying - putting a weight on the players lost. The chart is below. The Redskins were 2nd only to AZ. In terms of man game lost the Redskins were 6th. So the cost of our players lost was higher than others. Another site - I believe USA Today showed us as having lost the highest number of starter games due to injury.

What weight do they assign to the QB?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Russell is alone on this theory of the Bruce element of the Scot story.  But this isn't his first tale on this count.  Now, he doesn't describe Bruce here as you say as the "hero".  It's that it was Bruce's hire.  If it flamed out so fast then Bruce looked like a dolt.

I've said this on this thread and others many times, there is no narrative on Scot that makes Bruce look like the winner.  Whether he was fired justifiably or not, its Bruce's hire.  His hand picked guy.

As for what happened with Scot, Russell never elaborates.  But for me from the get go I trust that Scot had to go because Russell said so back then -- my thing on Bruce is what does he do next?  And IMO unfortunately what he did next played right into the hands of the Scot's camp narrative which was Bruce wanted the power himself.  True or not true that's how it played out.

Russell in particular has overly stressed that Scot really never had the power from the get go and the little power he had he lost there fast.  Russell has described Bruce as the villain in most narratives relating to the Redskins.  And for the Scot story he paints both Scot and Bruce as co-villains.

That's been my read of the situation as well.  I just thought this was a really weird line: "Ultimately, Dan wanted to get him fired long before he ultimately did. Bruce tried to repair it, hold on, fix it, couldn't, and then that's what led to the hasty firing."

It makes it seem as though Bruce was trying desperately to stop Dan from firing Scot for almost 2 years.  That line is just really inconsistent with what I've been hearing since Scot got fired; hence, my skepticism, and my hope that it isn't true.  Even if that line wasn't trying to paint Bruce as the hero, the thing I take most issue with is how much of the villain Dan was in that situation if it is true... much more of a villain than I thought.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's been my read of the situation as well.  I just thought this was a really weird line: "Ultimately, Dan wanted to get him fired long before he ultimately did. Bruce tried to repair it, hold on, fix it, couldn't, and then that's what led to the hasty firing."

It makes it seem as though Bruce was trying desperately to stop Dan from firing Scot for almost 2 years.  That line is just really inconsistent with what I've been hearing since Scot got fired; hence, my skepticism, and my hope that it isn't true.  Even if that line wasn't trying to paint Bruce as the hero, the thing I take most issue with is how much of the villain Dan was in that situation if it is true... much more of a villain than I thought.

I don't know if it is true or not, but if it is, it is Bruce saving face at Dans expense.  Thats gonna go over like a lead balloon.  Is Bruce really that solid in his job at Redskins Park???

30 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I've heard Russell speak about it multiple times on the air.  The impression he gives is that they had no issues with Scot's work but there were two problems.

A.  Scot didn't get the power that he expected and that boiled into frustration when there was disagreement. In short, Scot didn't get the final say.  So when things happened that he didn't approve, he wasn't a happy camper. And his power lessened and lessened over time to the extent that in the beginning of 2017 he didn't have a say in the Kirk contract.

B.  There were some antics relating to Scot that were embarrassing from a personal nature that took place at Redskins Park.  

Russell never got into what those antics were but he leaves the impression that it wasn't per se about drinking.  And he referred more than once that things started going south big time starting with Scot's wife's tweet about Dianne Russini.  He also said Scot's wife's tweet with the super bowl ring and the tweet showing Scot in Redskins garb at Whole Foods were the final straws.  

Taking that all in -- it doesn't add up.  So I am guessing somehow there is a wild story in the mix of all of this.  Reason I think so is Russell could have just easily said he was drinking and there were some escapades from that.  But the way he holds back on that front gives me the vibe there is some wild stories possibly that happened.   

If so, I don't think Dan wanted him gone for power reasons.  According to Russell's story, it was Dan who implored Bruce to hire a top football guy in the first place.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I haven’t followed all of this very closely. Why was Scot being in Skins garb in Whole Foods a bad thing?

You got me but its part of the Russell narrative in previous segments.  The puzzle to me is:

Scot's wife

Scot

Russini?

Media leaks

Antics

Twitter

How that all adds up together, I got no idea.  But those are the bread crumbs that Russell has laid out where he's refused to elaborate and say what he knows.  I am guessing based on that its juicy because anything that's generic-drinking related I'd think he'd share because that fits the current speculation so he wouldn't be sharing anything earth shattering.

4 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Snyder should be upset because three talented people..Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan and Kirk Cousins... have left the Redskins and all three have a shot at winning the Super Bowl way before the Redskins ever get within miles of getting things right.  Imagine this....the Redskins could have fired Gruden and given the HC to McVay who would have then brought in Wade Phillips and would in turn have been able to keep Cousins in Washington making the team a bonafide playoff contender.  We had those people here in our building and weren’t able to make the moves to keep them.  We would have then been dreaming of 11-5 or better and playoffs. SMH

Was thinking about my previous post and it hit me.  Does anyone think that the Rams or 49ers would have chosen Gruden for HC if McVay, Kyle Shanahan and Gruden were all available?

I don’t.  I think Gruden wouldn’t even be on many lists of candidates for open HC jobs.

I understand why Shanahan was gone...but McVay would have been an upgrade.  A young and brilliant coach who players can relate to and whom Cousins was also close to.  Yet the Redskins extend a vanilla coach who has yet to install a pro running game even with Callahan as OLine coach and has been unable to get the defense fixed.  Fire Gruden and promote McVay in-house would have solved most of our problems yet the FO isn’t bold enough nor creative enough to make those type of changes.

Allen instead extends his buddy Gruden to 2020 and makes the boneheaded move to make Williams a pseudo GM in title only.  Both moves made to solidify his position as boss man.

McVay with Matt Lefluer running the offense...Wade Phillips running the defense with players hand picked that he knows would fit his schemes...and Cousins signed long term would have finally put the team over the hump IMO.

it was all there for the taking yet we chased them away.

BTW....Schaffer is looking good also.  Add him to the above and we would finally look like a professional team but only if Snyder would learn to back off the football side and do only what owners should be involved with like building a new billion dollar state-of-the-art training facility and stop being so cheap.  Snyder is the new Donald Sterling of sports.

I miss the good old days when the Redskins had a flamboyant billionaire owner in Jack Kent Cooke who knew what his role was.  He hired the best GM the Redskins ever had in Bobby Beathard who earned his chops as a scout for the Miami Dolphins and he let Beathard pick the coach who ended up being Joe Gibbs. The 1980’s was our golden era.

Cooke did whatever it took to help the team succeed.  He built not one but two... at that time state-of-the-art...facilities and also built the current stadium out of pocket to accommodate the huge waiting list of fans that couldn’t fit in the old RFK Stadium.  He also made it fun by having Duke Zeibart bring cakes to Redskins Park after victories.

Snyder hasn’t done anything in 20 years.  He bought the team, training facility and stadium highly leveraged.  The only major improvement has been the indoor bubble practice field which is the cheapest way to go when most colleges and just about every other NFL teams have a more permanent steel structures.  This came after more than a decade of having nowhere to practice in bad weather forcing the team to rent out ballrooms in conference centers to do walk throughs.  That bubble by the way collapsed during a snow storm a few years ago.

it has become our curse as fans that Cooke’s son John didn’t win the bidding process to buy the Redskins and we ended up with a young, inexperienced and incompetent owner who just happened to make some money during the heyday of telemarketing.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I haven’t followed all of this very closely. Why was Scot being in Skins garb in Whole Foods a bad thing?

I'm still a little fuzzy on the Dave Chappelle clone angle too ... 

Does that intersect with Kirk's illuminati ties? Don't know. 

Or maybe, seeing as Russell is the ONLY  one saying any of this, its all just a bunch of baloney?

Lets remember this is the same guy who has lied multiple times in the past, and thought Jim Haslett was actually good.  Stop feeding the Chris Russell troll.  Absolutely nothing about how anyone has acted in this, Scot, Allen, etc, add up with what Russell has said.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Or maybe, seeing as Russell is the ONLY  one saying any of this, its all just a bunch of baloney?

The stuff he’s saying isn’t the kind of stuff most beat guys are going to get.  It’s pretty obvious that he’s got someone in Ashburn feeding him this stuff, atleast for the past year or two.  Russell is absolutely an annoying personality to listen to, but he’s been closer to the Ashburn dirt of late than anyone else.

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The stuff he’s saying isn’t the kind of stuff most beat guys are going to get.  It’s pretty obvious that he’s got someone in Ashburn feeding him this stuff, atleast for the past year or two.  Russell is absolutely an annoying personality to listen to, but he’s been closer to the Ashburn dirt of late than anyone else.

He’s right though, none of it really adds up.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You got me but its part of the Russell narrative in previous segments.  The puzzle to me is:

Scot's wife

Scot

Russini?

Media leaks

Antics

Twitter

How that all adds up together, I got no idea.  But those are the bread crumbs that Russell has laid out where he's refused to elaborate and say what he knows.  I am guessing based on that its juicy because anything that's generic-drinking related I'd think he'd share because that fits the current speculation so he wouldn't be sharing anything earth shattering.

I thought the story was that Russini leaked news about the QB to start the season and scooped a story no one else had then Scott’s wife posted some cryptic messages online which we took to mean that russini hit the casting couch to get the scoop.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2015/09/02/scot-mccloughan-dianna-russini-redskins-husband/

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Lets remember this is the same guy who has lied multiple times in the past, and thought Jim Haslett was actually good.  Stop feeding the Chris Russell troll.  Absolutely nothing about how anyone has acted in this, Scot, Allen, etc, add up with what Russell has said.

I agree, im not sure how trustworthy this source is... felt that way as soon as I read it.  Anyone else I wouldnt question it so much, but he is such a basher/heel that I question the validity of the report. 

What’s so unbelievable about what he’s saying though?  Why wouldn’t Dan be less than impressed with how Bruce has handled things, particularly the past three years?  Why wouldn’t Bruce’s seat be hot?

I guess I’m just not seeing what’s so crazy about what he’s saying.  Other than Dan being smart enough to know Bruce is a loser.

Archived