Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

Great news about the Prince of Darkness being gone.

This morning Mike Golic on ESPN radio is commenting about the Head Coach helping to pick the General Manager.

He said while it has been done before he is not aware of any NFL situation where it WORKED.  Your thoughts....??

He's wrong.

Buffalo - McDermott/Beane

San Fran - Shanahan and then Lynch (though Kyle didn't pick him).

Patriots - Belichick hired by Kraft and not a GM. Belichick essentially picked himself as GM.

Chiefs - Andy Reid in place before current GM was promoted.

Ravens - Harbaugh in place before current GM promoted. 

Steelers - Tomlin hired directly by Rooneys'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jerry Jones saying he thinks the Redskins will shine like a penny - I hate this. Our owners co-own a yacht. Are best friends. And compliment each other openly. I equate this to the way I feel about pro wrestling nowadays - keep kayfabe alive damnit. Be friends outside of the spectacle, but at least allow us to think you guys hate each other. Stage a fist fight or something. Maybe have Jerry power bomb Dan through a (gimmicked) table. Or just bring them to a Bills game and have them do it for real.

Who's Kay Fabe & where's she GM'd at before?  

:silly: 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Wouldnt Schaffer be a more natural fit as President while Kyle takes the GM position?

Yeah Schaffer really makes no sense as a GM. He isn't so much a football guy as a he is a numbers/cap guru. 

500 pages.

WOW.

Time to kill this one & pick it up in one of the other ongoing threads. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

To me anyway, there doesn't seem to be a set way that the NFL conducts hiring both the head coach and GM at the same time. Not counting the Redskins, 4 NFC teams hired the GM first, 5 NFC teams hired the coach first, and 6 NFC teams never had to make that choice.

I could have missed something, right now don't give a damn lol...like I said, this was tedious as **** at times.

Oof, so many things wrong with the method you used to arrive to this conclusion, but at least you admitted it was tedious and you didn’t want to delve deeper, so I can see why. 

I’ll skip the issues you already mentioned about the research and how limited it was. 

The biggest problem here is I’m not sure why you’d ignore all the times a GM was already in place and either lead or had a hand in the search for a new coach, and just relegated it to what’s happening with the Skins now, but there are extenuating circumstances that make it difficult to hire a new GM when coaches get fired at the end of the season due to the timing. 

So this doesn’t change much of anything in terms of how the NFL operates. The only thing this proves is that the scouting department and its head executive are largely in place around the NFL at the end of a season when coaches get fired, their contracts aren’t up, and thus it’s harder to hire them at that time since it’s a smaller pool of candidates. 

Still, you see it happening often, which actually makes it more significant to the general point being made about which should come first. 

Only separating it so that you’re looking exclusively at GMs and HCs being fired at the same time and what happens next simply doesn’t effect the reality of those positions and which is prioritized during the hiring process. It also ignores which teams were successful and which teams weren’t in how they did it. 

Also, was it only GMs you looked at or did you include various other titles that largely fill the same role, like EVP of Football Operations? 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

He's wrong.

Buffalo - McDermott/Beane

San Fran - Shanahan and then Lynch (though Kyle didn't pick him).

Patriots - Belichick hired by Kraft and not a GM. Belichick essentially picked himself as GM.

Chiefs - Andy Reid in place before current GM was promoted.

Ravens - Harbaugh in place before current GM promoted. 

Steelers - Tomlin hired directly by Rooneys'.

I wouldn’t count the Chiefs since he was already in house, which likely means they already had that planned out. 

Ravens had Newsome at GM at the time Harbaugh was hired

Steelers had Kevin Colbert at Director of Football Operations (they actually never had someone with the GM title until 2011 when they just gave it to Colbert himself) who was heavily involved in hiring Tomlin. 

But, yeah, it can work. It’s more about how the roles are structured after the hiring process, but I definitely believe the organizational priority is better one way than the other. 

——————————————

Oops, just saw that TK closed this thread, sorry fellas. I don’t feel like copy and pasting this elsewhere... so, uhm, you guys can do it and post it in the “Allen fired” thread or something if you want to continue this discussion. :ols: 

Edited by thesubmittedone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2