Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

If Rivera is working off the draft board/reports of Kyle and his scouts while he evaluates them, this MIGHT make sense. 

It is not unusual to wait until after the draft for scout turnover. Waiting that long to name a GM would be odd, unless he has someone in mind who is under contract until after the draft. That's when those contracts run out and big changes are made in scouting departments, months after other big coaching and FO changes. That part is normal.

If he doesn't know which scouts we have that he can trust, it might make sense to use their work but be the final say in that first offseason while you get the scouting department how you want it. A lot of "your" guys might not be available until after the draft anyways, like I said above.

This might not be a case of Rivera having permanent/forever control of the draft. But hey....at least we'll know who to blame. Right? 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I am not concerned. Once he saw we lost today he was RUNNING up to Ashburn for that 2nd pick and Chase Young. He has to be salivating at the young defensive players we have already. Add Young and his 4-3 attacking defense and you might have something special here.

We have the talent to be a pretty devastating defense. :cheers:

2 minutes ago, charles mannley said:

I don’t know how much I believe this. He was fired mid season.  I may be a tad emotional, but really want something fresh that doesn’t smell like Snyder.

I wouldn't read much into the mis season firing. Hard to know how much of that was due to preference/organizational vision (the owner didnt hire him) pure performance or something else.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

So Rivera said he wanted final control over the 46 and a say in the roster and a relationship with the GM, we "negotiate" with him and say he gets full control over everything?

It's Dan pretending to be turning everything over which never actually happens.

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

So Rivera said he wanted final control over the 46 and a say in the roster and a relationship with the GM, we "negotiate" with him and say he gets full control over everything?

I like Rivera more than some here do.  But to me their level of desperation or so it seems feels a bit odd.  He isn't Belichick.   It feels like Rivera's agent is playing them -- where he's saying give him the world now otherwise the bidding will begin for him this week and Dan is taking the bait.   If these rumors are true. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I want Kyle Smith to have final say on the draft. 

My guess is that if he’s as good as everybody says he is, he basically will have final say in setting the board.  

Ron isn’t going to scout every player in college. He’ll trust the scouts.  But an exec needs to be responsible, and that’s not Kyle.  Not yet.  

However the way I read it, after the draft Kyle could be elevated to GM. Or they’ll bring in somebody else to have personnel control.  

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My guess is that if he’s as good as everybody says he is, he basically will have final say in setting the board.  

Ron isn’t going to scout every player in college. He’ll trust the scouts.  But an exec needs to be responsible, and that’s not Kyle.  Not yet.  

However the way I read it, after the draft Kyle could be elevated to GM. Or they’ll bring in somebody else to have personnel control.  

This is pretty much how I read it as well. Not that Rivera is getting some permanent Belichick/Parcells type of deal. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Rivera more than some here do.  But to me their level of desperation or so it seems feels a bit odd.  He isn't Belichick.   It feels like Rivera's agent is playing them -- where he's saying give him the world now otherwise the bidding will begin for him this week and Dan is taking the bait.   If these rumors are true. 

I feel like we will learn a lot on Black Monday. The problem is that Ron doesn't seem like a guy to tarnish his rep by saying yes then no. But he'll probably see a new job open up and say "let me see what this other team is saying" and then we will either have to offer more money, more power, or find somebody new

The good thing about all this is that it seems like this is just what Ted Leonsis went through with the Wizards and we got Tommy Shephard out of it. Maybe we will get some good stuff in the end too. 

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Which is then a disaster because no one is qualified.  So yeah worry.

Why isn't he qualified?  Kyle was raised around talent evaluators and his scouting department has shown he can find good players in any round including undrafted rookies.

Was McVay qualified to be the Rams coach?

Archived