Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Leslie Frazier has never coached in Carolina. From what I gather, he has no connection to Ron at all.  

I think he's talking about Sean McDermott who was Ron's DC in Carolina before taking the Bills HC job.  And Brandon Beane was the Asst GM in Carolina before getting the GM job in Buffalo.  

It's a valid question.  Did the Panthers success follow those two to Buffalo.  

7 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Leslie Frazier has never coached in Carolina. From what I gather, he has no connection to Ron at all.  

Are you trolling me? ,😂

Sean McDermott was Ron his DC for the success years. And Brandon Beane was a high FO guy does years in Carolina. 

1 minute ago, drowland said:

I think he's talking about Sean McDermott who was Ron's DC in Carolina before taking the Bills HC job.  And Brandon Beane was the Asst GM in Carolina before getting the GM job in Buffalo.  

It's a valid question.  Did the Panthers success follow those two to Buffalo.  

This :)

14 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

One perk to Rivera is we will play more of a 4-3 so we can actually make use of our DEs and not drop them into coverage. 

I like that, and can’t help but think Clemson’s hybrid LB Simmons may be viewed as near equal value to an edge rusher like Young in that defense? I still think I prefer Young to trading back a few spots to try to grab Simmons and add picks. 

Rivera’s defense was utter trash this year in Carolina (how could it not be with Perry Fewell as DB coach?), and hasn’t been as good in general since McDermott left for Buffalo. Here’s hoping he can assemble the right staff to rekindle the defensive magic, while keeping KOC at OC. I think we have a better base of defensive talent for him to work with than the past few Panthers teams have. 

7 minutes ago, dyst said:

Someone else mentioned it earlier but even being in contention for a name like Rivera is pretty remarkable given the clownshow that is Ashburn. 

NFL jobs are highly desirable no matter the franchise.  Working with ownership that might be difficult is part of the job, and the coaches who are good enough to get and keep HC gigs are copers and competitors that focus on finding solutions to problems instead of excuses to back out.  And there is a definite appeal to the idea of being the guy who turns around the Redskins.

5 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Another indictment of Allen; Sweat better pan out because we gave up the 34th pick in a deep draft to get him.

Agreed, and another related flaw of our structure and process, is that I get the feeling that moving back up to grab Sweat was partly to appease Gruden who was petulant about taking Haskins with our 1st. 

This is why the talent evaluators and decision makers need to be able to do their jobs without the shenanigans of the dysfunctional committee approach engendered in the current Redskins F.O. structure. 

PS: I think Sweat will pan out, and fare better in a 4-3 under improved DC design. 

4 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Another indictment of Allen; Sweat better pan out because we gave up the 34th pick in a deep draft to get him.

Sweat is Kerrigans replacement. I have no worries about him going forward. Pair Sweat and Young together on the DL, with some creative blitzes drawn up, and I feel really good about our defense. 

4 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Valid point, not only that, sweat was known as a 4-3 d end, but was asked to play in 3-4 and drop into coverage, so not exactly a great scheme fit for what we were doing.  So if we are giving up valuable assets to get guys who aren't exactly addressing our needs, who is making those calls?  Has it definitely been Bruce?  I know that's an easy dig on him, but for all the ppl who are hoping Kyle Smith be brought back, can't some of these questionable moves be attributed to him as well?  

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He ran a 3-4 before he got to Carolina. He seems to run what the personnel dictates. Which is just crazy.

He is crazy.  Don't you know you have to force your scheme onto whatever group is in front of you?  We have years of Redskins coaches who can attest to what a good idea that is.

13 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

This is where trading Trent could help recoup that.  Or if they do take Chase Young #2, trade Kerrigan.  With the way Anderson has come on the 2nd half of the year they can afford to move someone.  

36 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I could live with Meyer, at least I know allen won't bully him out of power. My only question is who will replace him in 2 years when he quits with "health concerns ".

That still hurts man...

I just don't see why Meyer would take this job but not pick the HC. Wouldn't that be the recruitment to come here. 

56 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Agreed, and another related flaw of our structure and process, is that I get the feeling that moving back up to grab Sweat was partly to appease Gruden who was petulant about taking Haskins with our 1st. 

Yes i agree with that, Gruden pretty much gave that impression post draft that he wanted Sweat at #15

Archived