Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Was Rivera actually known for good defenses in CAR? Seems like people just repeat things. Over 65% of his seasons there were losing seasons, despite having a franchise QB in place. He seems overrated just because people like him and he talks the talk. I know Gentleman sucked, but come on.

Just speaking for myself but I've always associated Carolina with solid, hard nosed defense over the last 10 years.  Feel like the offense usually holds that team back.

Again, hes not my first choice, but much prefer him to the McCarthy/Marvin/Gregggg/Bowles grouping when talking re-treads.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Paulsen doubled down on the radio today, Rivera is the top choice.  Marvin Lewis is the next choice and if its Marvin he'd be a dual power guy with some personnel say. 

I would love to know what kind of staff either would pick.  If Marvin ousts KOC for Hugh Jackson, that’s a hard no for me.  

Ron has struggled a bit finding a competent OC, finally landing on Norv.  

Again, my preference, as long as it’s not dictated to either one is to leave KOC as OC for continuity, and have either one fix this mess of a defense. 

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The reason I like Rivera is because he fully embraced what Cam could do and went with it, instead of trying to force Cam into being something he is not.

The defenses have been good and they play a tough brand of football. 

He is accountable for his record.  But I think Cam injury situation, Gettleman being Gettleman, and a few other factors need to be considered as well.

Also, he seems like a stand up guy, no nonsense, but players like him. 

He’s not Lombardi, but I like a lot about him.  

Ironically, by embracing what he could do ended up destroying him. Cam took many hits and had too many qb sneaks. I suppose it worked in the interim as he won mvp and made it to the super bowl

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Paulsen doubled down on the radio today, Rivera is the top choice.  Marvin Lewis is the next choice and if its Marvin he'd be a dual power guy with some personnel say. 

Like I said yesterday, job has already been offered to Rivera. He's waiting to see what happens in NY & Dallas.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Reference Bruce Allen "reassignment" chatter this is an interesting tidbit from Andrew Livingston inside the tweet comments - 

"They’re not keeping him, they’re just not embarrassing him."

Not embarrassing him?!

Shouldn't they be leaking videos of him being drunk in public?  Having "inside sources" telling fans about all the shady things he's been doing wrong for the last 10 years on his way out?  Smearing his name and burning any bridges he has left?

Why break tradition now?

9 minutes ago, TK said:

Like I said yesterday, job has already been offered to Rivera. He's waiting to see what happens in NY & Dallas.

Weird, would the Redskins just sit and wait for him to cross out his other top options? I guess we’ll see. Totally ignorant, but not how I’d roll, would want the guy to be completely invested in joining, especially when a 5 year type guaranteed deal is on the table. 

Pass. 

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Weird, would the Redskins just sit and wait for him to cross out his other top options? I guess we’ll see. Totally ignorant, but not how I’d roll, would want the guy to be completely invested in joining, especially when a 5 year guaranteed deal is on the table.

Pass. 

Thanks for sharing TK. 

Totally agree wit33.  He’s not good enough to be worth waiting on. Surprised Snyder would do this, unless it’s some sort of negotiating tactic.

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Weird, would the Redskins just sit and wait for him to cross out his other top options? I guess we’ll see. Totally ignorant, but not how I’d roll, would want the guy to be completely invested in joining, especially when a 5 year type guaranteed deal is on the table. 

Pass. 

Especially given he prefers both our division rivals (can't blame him, just think it could hurt us to wait on him if he drags it along and then goes to either of them while our secondary options got hired as well).

3 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Thanks for sharing TK. 

Totally agree wit33.  He’s not good enough to be worth waiting on. Surprised Snyder would do this, unless it’s some sort of negotiating tactic.

I think he's waiting to see if NY cans Gettleman 

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Idk. Rivera just doesn't feel like the "splash" I would expect from Snyder. Especially if he's trying to flashbang us into being blinded to a mere quaint reshuffling of the existing FO. 

Zorn. Jay.   Neither were splashy.  

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Especially given he prefers both our division rivals (can't blame him, just think it could hurt us to wait on him if he drags it along and then goes to either of them while our secondary options got hired as well).

We won’t wait.  If he doesn’t accept tomorrow Dan will hire Marvin

I know any given sunday and all that, but just feels off that Rivera is the guy Snyder would be infatuated with after our terrible team just beat him and got him fired. Maybe he is listening to other people. You just have to hope it's the right people.

2 minutes ago, TK said:

I think he's waiting to see if NY cans Gettleman 

According to one report, Gettleman's job is safe.  Two of their owners split though on firing Shurmur. 

1 minute ago, TK said:

I mentioned him yesterday too. And I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Me, too.  As far as pedigree of the ones being discussed Rick Smith jumps out to me. 

Has anyone done a deep dive on Rick Smith's drafts after the first round (where I know he did pretty well)?

Getting a true football guy in here who isn't tied to Snyder would be nice, but messing with our rookie drafts might not be a good idea with what Kyle Smith has done. 

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I would love to know what kind of staff either would pick.  If Marvin ousts KOC for Hugh Jackson, that’s a hard no for me.  

Ron has struggled a bit finding a competent OC, finally landing on Norv.  

Again, my preference, as long as it’s not dictated to either one is to leave KOC as OC for continuity, and have either one fix this mess of a defense. 

From what I can pick up on talk radio today, different segments by different people.

It feels like Rivera seems more concerned with who the GM is than anything else.  Marvin less so because he himself wants to be part of the GM-FO team.

It seems like almost 100%, Hue Jackson comes with Marvin.  Marvin loved Hue it seems the same way Dan loves Bruce -- they are very tight.  Marvin hired him in Cincy.  then when Cleveland canned Hue, Mavin hired him back within season.   Then when Marvin was canned in Cincy, he openly lobbied for Hue to be his replacement.   And the dude who broke the Marvin stuff yesterday said on Fox radio that he hired Hue is a packaged deal with Marvin.  I'd presume Hue would be like Marvin's right hand man assistant coach. 

Ron Rivera is exactly the type of hire you make when you dont really understand football and you are aiming to just be respectable, not actually good.  Rivera, who is a defensive coach, managed 2 top 10 defenses in his 9  years in Carolina.  Thats kind of poor.  If he cant figure out how to coach his side of the ball, and he cant figure out how to build a winner(7 wins or less 3 of the last 4 seasons) then almost surely hes never going to be a great coach.  Hes better than the Jay Grudens of the world, but an NFL GM who knows what they are doing and wants to build a dominant team would not hire him.

And having option 2 as the Duo who failed at the Bengals and Browns is laughable.  But it fits.

Archived