Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

There was never a power struggle. Scot was only given complete control over the roster, and outside of Cullen Jenkins being brought back (or let go) and Scot not being able to initiate extension talks w/Kirk’s agent earlier in the 2015 season (he did so later in the season), that power was never usurped. Skins leaked it was due to Scot’s drinking. Beat reporters would add validity to that claim by saying they knew stuff that had them believing Scot did need to be fired but felt the Skins were smearing him on the way out. An arbitrator also agreed that the Skins fires Scot “with cause” when Scot lost his arbitration grievance against the Skins.

and anyone who fears Bruce will be a conniving villain who will undermine anyone brought in to take his place if he isn’t removed completely from the organization, think about it...why would removing him totally from the organization keep him from still having Snyder’s ear even though he’s not on the payroll? Bruce wasn’t forging documents and framing others from within Redskins Park...if anything, he was simply convincing Snyder to see things his way. That can be done whether he’s on the payroll or not. Did Vinny Cerrato not teach us anything? lol...

Bruce just seems like a guy who would do anything to get his way. And besides that he’s just seems very spiteful the way he handled the Trent Williams situation low balling kirks contract smering jay on the way out. he brings more dysfunction In every he does 

15 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Kinda like Callahan?

Kinda like Callahan in what way? No, a guy like Callahan is not what I'm talking about. Running ourselves out of football games week after week but feeling better about it isn't a new culture or identity. Callahan sucks. 

11 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Absolutely excellent rookie wide reciever..with a couple other decent looking rookie wr's..a running back with some injury history but also showed promise....a what looks now to be a promising young qb..a good young d line with the possibility to draft chase young and Rivera is a defensive coach...I say it all checks..

Gee, you make it sound like we’ve got a lot of pieces in place to have a consistent winner for years.  It’s almost as if the general manager has done a fine job of building a football team.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Gee, you make it sound like we’ve got a lot of pieces in place to have a consistent winner for years.  It’s almost as if the general manager has done a fine job of building a football team.

Thats kyle smith and the college scouting department.... not the GM.

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Thats kyle smith and the college scouting department.... not the GM.

So make him GM then.

I don’t think this team is one defensive minded coach away from a winning franchise though, not even close.  This needs an identity that it can get behind.  Right now, it’s just a bunch of guys, some of who are ok at football.

This is the most busy I have been on this site in years. You got Bruces reign of terror about to end, New coaching candidates to talk about and the College Football playoffs all going on at the same time. I honestly cant remember the last time I had 4 different tabs open on this site. It feels refreshing.

Just now, Springfield said:

So make him GM then.

I don’t think this team is one defensive minded coach away from a winning franchise though, not even close.  This needs an identity that it can get behind.  Right now, it’s just a bunch of guys, some of who are ok at football.

I wouldnt hate Kyle Smith as GM, but i do think as shift in defensive philosophy changes the dynamic greatly.    Our talent on the defensive side of the ball far exceeds its current production, i firmly believe that 

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Can someone tell me what connections Bruce has within the federal circles? I do understand it is a different beast all together to get a stadium deal on protected ground compared to all other cities, but I dont understand why Bruce is best suited for the job.

Probably has something to do with his bro's contacts. 

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I wouldnt hate Kyle Smith as GM, but i do think as shift in defensive philosophy changes the dynamic greatly.    Our talent on the defensive side of the ball far exceeds its current production, i firmly believe that 

That’s cool, get a DC who knows how to motivate and game plan.

Id really enjoy watching an offensive powerhouse of a team for once.  We had one of those, for like a season.  It was fun.  That’s what I want.

I hate smash mouth defensive football where you win games 24 to 17.

IF its true that Bruce is ONLY around to work on the new stadium deal, then Im actually totally fine with thisBecause, I dont really want a new stadium right now, and I think Bruce is pulling Dan's leg about how much influence he really has politically, and ]]]]Im almost positive that he's whispering into Dan's ear, "We're Damned Close.".  So Bruce staying on is actually a good way to make sure a new stadium is not in the near future.  

As for why I dont want a new stadium deal, its a laundry list of things.  But basically, it boils down to this.  I think that Dan thinks that a new stadium will magically somehow forgive the past 20 years of resentment that have built towards this organization for it ineptness and generally sleazy modus operundi.   Dan needs to understand that the fundamental problem is not Fedex (Gibbs II had that place rocking at times) , its the whole money-grubbing culture AND the product on the field. 

Work behind the scenes to actually become a part of the community -- I dunno donate some money to fix schools, finance some scholarship programs, etc. etc.  At the same time, donate to the campaigns of whatever officials would be in charge of voting on a new stadium, and give them something to work with through your charitable contributions to the city.  At the same time, rebuild the product on the field -- no shortcuts, no splashy hires -- just professionally and patiently build a team.  You do all that, and theyll come running to you for a new stadium deal.  

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So now fans are being entitled for wanting to be sure Bruce is officially, actually out the door before being happy about it? Come on. Don't be a damn lemming. 

Not really a lemming, I tend to like the fact that the first step has been taken.....not to offend the non entitled fans out there of course. Lemming......funny dude.

The dude who broke the Marvin Lewis story this morning already said Marvin plays to bring Hue Jackson in a package deal.  If that goes down, I predict Jackson becomes for the offense what Haz and Barry were for the defense.  We got all these articles and rankings showing Hue isn't good at his job but he will be defended because hey he got a bad lot. So lets throw that out the window and start fresh and forget about all of that.  Then we likely wonder why it hasn't so much worked here either?  🤨

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/10/29/18035166/cleveland-browns-hue-jackson-todd-haley-hot-seat-rumors-excuses-losses-steelers

And now we know. Time did, in fact, run out for Hue Jackson. The Browns fired him Monday morning after a loss to the Steelers. He brought this on himself. The drama last week with him threatening to get involved with the play calling and then shifting the blame for it caught up to him. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley got the axe too.

What is Hue Jackson good at? If you ask the Browns head coach himself, he’d tell you offense is his specialty. “That’s what I know,” he claimed last week, after an overtime loss to the Buccaneers. His declaration came with a promise to jump in and help embattled offensive coordinator Todd Haley “figure out” why the Browns couldn’t score enough points to win games.

They scored 18 points in a loss to the Steelers. Six of those points came with just 13 seconds left in the game and Pittsburgh’s defense in cruise control with a 33-12 lead.

So what exactly did Jackson do to help the offense this week? Nobody knows. Not even Hue Jackson!

When he was asked about those comments after this week’s loss, Jackson brushed it off.

“I don’t want to talk about or give [credence] to anything about last week,’’ Jackson said after Sunday’s game. “I said what I said out of frustration. That’s over and done with.”

There he was clearly annoyed that reporters had the audacity to bring up the declaration he made waaaaaay in the past, a whole dang week ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/22/hue-jackson-life-after-cleveland-browns

'I Failed Tremendously': Hue Jackson on the Blues After the Browns

The former Cleveland coach is grappling with life in the shadow of his 3-36-1 record. But those numbers only begin to tell the story of his losses.

President of Football Operations: Urban Meyer

GM: Kyle Smith

HC: Rivera or someone else, I'm slightly less worried if the above is in place.

This could be fun imo, but would need to see how it all goes down. Don't love the HC candidates we're linked with. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So now fans are being entitled for wanting to be sure Bruce is officially, actually out the door before being happy about it? Come on. Don't be a damn lemming. 

I got the impression that the different cars were the different head coach candidates, not anything having to do with Bruce. “If Marvin Lewis is the hire I’m through” type of posts...

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Id really enjoy watching an offensive powerhouse of a team for once.  We had one of those, for like a season.  It was fun.  That’s what I want.

Dont sleep on Kevin OConnell.  I think weve seen a bit of an evolution as Haskins has developed over the last few weeks.  Even if it was against a bad Giants team and a bad Eagles team.... we scored 27 and 35 primarily through the air and likely with a limited playbook 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've told you many times (even in a PM 😀) I didn't care of Jay stays or goes, my point was he's not the top problem here.  My obsession as to volume of posts has been about removing Bruce.   Your obsession as for the number of posts has been removing Jay.   My Christmas has come today sort of.  Yours weeks ago. ;)

I’ve been extremely clear that BOTH had to go because Bruce was a disaster of a football exec and Nay is a bad coach.  And this “Christmas” actually feels much better to me than when Jay was fired because I thought that was a day late and a dollar short. 

If they missed the boat by 2.5 years (the day after the 2016 finale was the right time to do it)  then what would a few more meaningless games matter? 

But playing along.  Your top issue with Jay seem to be his play calling. 

That actually wasn’t my top issue with Jay.  It was the most obvious in game day situations, but it wasn’t my biggest issue. 

My my biggest issue with Jay is that he was so stuck on the idea that his system worked and he basically refused to adapt, either to players or situations.  He also made horrific coaching staff hires, the team wasn’t well prepared, and the same lack of attention to detail was evident from day 1 through the day he was fired.  

So the dude who actually hired Jay to call plays in Cincy and complementing him like crazy is a dude who floats your boat?    

As I've repeatedly said, he’s not my first choice but I think he’s better than a lot of folks think.  Jay might be a good OC and a bad HC.  Norv is.  Others are.  And I didn’t go back and watch all of the Cincy film but I don’t think this ridiculous religious belief you have to run on every first down started until he got here.  At least on the games against the Redskins I didn’t notice it.

I'd add the dude in the mix is known to be another clueless one with clock management.  He has flat out said he doesn't think it's his responsibility to motivate players.  He's been criticized for his own players for being super conservative and not going for the jugular.  As far as I can tell, he hasn't really called defensive plays in well over a decade -- the NFL has changed a lot since.  We've heard no rumors of any other NFL team interested in the dude and he's the coach that is interested in this job.  I actually give a lower score for anyone who supposedly really wants to come here -- simple reason is I take that as no offers anywhere else.

The way you motivate players in the NFL is through preparation. 

The clock management thing is troubling.  And I’m not sure about how conservative he was or wasn’t.  

But they won more than they lost.  And he got his team to the playoffs just about every other year.

Id take those kind of results at this point.

Marvin isn't a disaster IMO.  But the more I've researched him, the more "meh" he comes off to me.  It's not just about his slightly over 500 record.    For me he doesn't have the traits I look for.

Did Jay?  If you answer yes, then you need to look for new traits. 

He won't IMO be a disaster but he's an uninspired choice.  At 61, how hungry could the dude be?  At least Rivera has some fire to him among other things. 

I’d prefer Rivera by a lot. I’d also be very interested in Bienemy.  Obviously Meyer or Riley would be intriguing.

My point is just that Marvin is an upgrade to Jay and Callahan.  And I would give him a shot to see how it played out.  I prefer him to Bowles, McCarthy, and maybe Gregg Williams.  

10 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

A ton of info. in this Post article, and if true:

Probable Bruce’s replacement: Urban Meyer

Probable GM: Louis Riddick

Probable HC: Rivera or Lewis

‘Can totally see Snyder going this direction. 

Just read it.  Comes off Rivera is the top choice but Rivera prefers to go to the Giants and work with Gettleman if that plays out.  Other choices Lewis.  Bieniemy.

Urban in a FO role.  Riddick, too.

i have no idea who I want. Perhaps giving Josh McDaniels another shot. New England seems to know how to utilize it's scheme with the players instead of forcing the players to fit into the scheme. McDaniels  i would think would hopefully keep this ideal. 

I keep seeing Williams name pop up with the fans. Why? How soon fans have forgotten his "bend but don't break" defense that sucked so bad it allowed teams to put lots of yardage up on us. Lewis... IDK, I like the coach. I like what he did with Cinci keeping them in the playoffs it seemed every year except recently. The question is what changed recently that caused his team to suck and not get it turned around. Rivera? another I have no clue about. I was never really impressed by him as a coach. Not sure why. Fans make fun of Marty but Marty turned the team around after 5 or 6 games and left it with a winning season. Marty was also the only one to stand up to DS and tell him to bus off. I'd prefer Marty back if anything else. I really don't want a coach that is going to come in and be DS's best buddy. I want a coach that is going to come in and tell DS to let them run the team. I want a coach who knows what it takes to win, knows how to get to the Super Bowl, and is not afraid to say back off and let me do my job I was hired for. Heck, DS should want that as well. At some point as a businessman you have to look at the big picture and see that there is one common denominator. You've changed everything, HC, DC, OC, WR, QB, evern GM and the team is still the same. What is the common denominator? What is the one thing that has not changed? ...the owner. Maybe it's time to take a huge step back. Hire someone who knows how to build a winning team, let them hire a coach that knows what it takes to get to the SB, and back off and let them do their jobs and reap the benifits... ie: more wins equals more sales of merchandise, more tickets to the stadium sold, more food purchased, etc, etc, 

I think we can agree Allen needs to have nothing to do with the players. I'd prefer him fired. Gone. He has had 10 years of middle of the road. Time to move on. Allen did not make this team better. 

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I just want to win man. I dont care if it is 2-0 every week. 

If the story about Lewis and Jackson being a package deal is true I dont want any part of it. Hugh Jackson became a poison in Cleveland. Unwilling to take fault for anything that went on with that disaster. We are just getting rid of one of those guys in Allen. I dont want another one in the building.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813786-hiring-hue-jackson-a-catastrophe-waiting-to-happen-for-nfl-teams?share=other

31 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

Bruce just seems like a guy who would do anything to get his way. And besides that he’s just seems very spiteful the way he handled the Trent Williams situation low balling kirks contract smering jay on the way out. he brings more dysfunction In every he does 

How did he smear Jay on the way out? What did I miss?

Archived