Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

To strengthen your point, Pete Carroll was an NFL guy and had two NFL head coaching jobs (Jets and Patriots) before coaching at USC. 

Not a right or wrong, but I don’t get too hung up on Super Bowls being the end all be all to any argument, it’s so damn hard to win it and so much has to go your way in a season. I don’t have a full spectrum of college coaches making the transition to the NFL to use historical data to support being in support of Meyer, but from afar I like what he’s accomplished and him being at the forefront football trends. I can appreciate a guy being wired this way, not to mention the reports of how maniacal he is in the details and his overall work ethic. The organization is starving for this kind of brain power, innovation, leadership etc..

Throw my guy Alex Smith in there and I’m ready to get back into battle with all those who hate Dan and the organization ;)  Admittedly, this year has provided me no ammunition lol

Nice info, and if they pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat, I’m sure I’ll get sucked back in. I almost hope he comes in to run the organization and not coach. He’s highly prone to burn out and it would be too much for him to be in charge of everything I think. A competitive guy like him usually enjoys a challenge.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm specifically referencing the story Doug told on Radio either right after the draft where he told the story that Jay was hot to trot on drafting Quinn in the 5th round and Doug said HE told him to wait and they would get him later.  Might he have been taking credit for Kyle? I don't know.  I don't know if there are quotes from this radio interview somewhere, but I heard it and posted about it pretty much immediately in the context of Jay wanting a guy who was going to possibly go undrafted in the 5th.

Doug was sortof laughing as he said it, like he had to rein Jay in and tell him it was ok, and they should wait on Quinn.  

I know the story you are referring to, I've listened to it myself.  But the way I took your post was that Kyle-Doug tag team wise make draft decisions?  If not, then I misinterpreted your point.  Most say its all Kyle with the scouts working under him.  Jay on occasion falls for a dude -- Ionnaidis, Holcomb, Quinn -- and otherwise, Kyle makes the recommendation and then there is a vote by committee on said prospects with Doug being one of those votes.  

51 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Also, Spurrier has traumatized us all, but he was a rare dude lol His work ethic was laughable. Meyer is wired muuuuch differently which one could use to criticize hiring him, as he could burn out in the middle of the process. Worth the risk, in my view, but can understand the argument. 

He's quit twice but maybe in this case they see it as an advantage with the idea is to groom O'Connell to take over.  I am ok if its Urban Meyer.  The key to me is Bruce has to be out the door.  And hopefully they elevate Kyle or bring someone else to run with the FO with real personnel pedigree.

I got no problem if Alex is part of the FO, I just don't want him or any rookie type running the FO.  Having said that I doubt they do it where they gave him the reigns.  

Alex (like Joe Gibbs) is a cool person that I endorse Danny to play with.  Bruce I think doubles down on some of Dan's worst instincts and nastiness.  Alex on the other hand is a stand up dude, super nice guy, classy.  I prefer Dan to play in the school yard with the nice boys.  And Alex would be one of those people.

42 minutes ago, wit33 said:

To strengthen your point, Pete Carroll was an NFL guy and had two NFL head coaching jobs (Jets and Patriots) before coaching at USC. 

Not a right or wrong, but I don’t get too hung up on Super Bowls being the end all be all to any argument, it’s so damn hard to win it and so much has to go your way in a season. I don’t have a full spectrum of college coaches making the transition to the NFL to use historical data to support being in support of Meyer, but from afar I like what he’s accomplished and him being at the forefront football trends. I can appreciate a guy being wired this way, not to mention the reports of how maniacal he is in the details and his overall work ethic. The organization is starving for this kind of brain power, innovation, leadership etc..

Throw my guy Alex Smith in there and I’m ready to get back into battle with all those who hate Dan and the organization ;)  Admittedly, this year has provided me no ammunition lol

I guess the hope of a championship is why I watch

I guess I’m at the point where I’ll believe it when I see it, for every spectacular scenario that’s being hinted at, there’s someone throwing cold water on it as well. I’m looking at the worst case scenario: Bruce and some uninspired retread, or someone completely unqualified for the job. I hope I’m wrong but sometimes I feel like this franchise exists to rob me of any joy

9 minutes ago, alwaysaskin said:

I guess I’m at the point where I’ll believe it when I see it, for every spectacular scenario that’s being hinted at, there’s someone throwing cold water on it as well. I’m looking at the worst case scenario: Bruce and some uninspired retread, or someone completely unqualified for the job. I hope I’m wrong but sometimes I feel like this franchise exists to rob me of any joy

Agreed

Just caught up with Keim’s and Finlay’s Podcasts from today.

Keim seems to waffling as to what happens with Bruce, he expects some type of FO change.

He said he’s heard there is some interest in Marvin Lewis and vice versa.

Finlay is betting hard that Bruce is out and won’t be reassigned. He thinks if they don’t they’d have one heck of a fan revolt. He said he was told by someone 3 months ago that Bruce is a goner.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim seems to waffling as to what happens with Bruce, he expects some type of FO change.

Finlay is betting hard that Bruce is out and won’t be reassigned. He thinks if they don’t they’d have one heck of a fan revolt. He said he was told by someone 3 months ago that Bruce is a goner.

I listened to both as well.  My thought remains one person knows what’s going on and that one person isn’t saying boo to anybody and everybody else is guessing and reading tea leaves. 

I also think Bruce will be out because of financial reasons.  But that’s just a guess, just like everybody else’s guesses.  

I think it could happen tomorrow, there’s a possibility it breaks Saturday but that’s somewhat unlikely, or most likely late Sunday Night/Early Monday morning. 

I think the whole staff is gone, minus a holdover or two, by 8am Monday.  Even money the Skins announce a new GM/HC at that time. 

I THINK based on Callahan being an interim coach, theoretically they can interview candidates while he’s in place.  I could be wrong about that.  

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to both as well.  My thought remains one person knows what’s going on and that one person isn’t saying boo to anybody and everybody else is guessing and reading tea leaves. 

I also think Bruce will be out because of financial reasons.  But that’s just a guess, just like everybody else’s guesses.  

I think it could happen tomorrow, there’s a possibility it breaks Saturday but that’s somewhat unlikely, or most likely late Sunday Night/Early Monday morning. 

I think the whole staff is gone, minus a holdover or two, by 8am Monday.  Even money the Skins announce a new GM/HC at that time. 

I THINK based on Callahan being an interim coach, theoretically they can interview candidates while he’s in place.  I could be wrong about that.  

5 hours ago, BigHuv21 said:

Wont deal with Bruce because he's on the other side of the building or wont deal with Bruce because its a him or me ultimatum?  BIG DIFFERENCE

6 hours ago, TK said:

Meyer won’t deal with Bruce

:) 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Marvin Lewis? Nothing personal against the guy, but ugh. Maybe I am just hating for the sake of hating at this point. 

I think I want someone not at all associated with this team or Allen or Tampa.

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Some of the beat guys have been upfront on it.  They have people they talk to in that FO but those same people don't have a direct pipeline to Dan.   But since they are in the building they are closer to the action so their vibes and feelings about it are better than nothing but far from gospel. 

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he's out too.  But my guess for awhile has been its because of the coach Dan wants who won't want to deal with him.  Most beat guys think Bruce is likely out but most also don't think Dan wants to do it but circumstances force him.  The money should be part of the reason.   But some who cover the team think Dan really really digs Bruce so he doesn't love the idea of getting rid of his close pal but they think he ultimately does.

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Finlay on a different podcast said he thought it could go down late Friday.

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think so.  I recall they somehow interviewed Jerry Gray for the Rooney Rule pre Shanny.  I don't know how they'd do it here.  

10 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

There's no way it's Marvin Lewis. Surely Dan knows better that that one.... Right?!?  ...if it ends up being Marvin, I'm out of here. 

For a long time. 

No kiddin?..I think he would be a good hire..specialy if we do draft that guy from Ohio state...umm chase lol

5 minutes ago, glongest said:

I would seriously question Alex Smith's mental analysis capacity if he retired and forfeited $20 mill in exchange for a front office job at what maybe a mill a year.  Why would he do that?

Because it will be way more than that, most likely.  Especially if he's taking on a GM role similar to Elway or the guy in SF.

Archived