Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

41 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Miami is trash until further notice. That have no real pieces left on the roster, and are not anywhere close to playoff contention. By the time they might be, their rivals will have already reloaded. 

To be fair for the fins, by the time they will be faire their rivals will be:

- Patriots without Belichick & Brady. Which means they'll be back to ground 0. Fall will be hard for them and their fans (2020? 2021 max).

- Bills. OK, I can give you that.

- Jets. Nuf' said here....

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

LOL at firing Furher Coughlin in 2020 being a foolish move.  That's rich.  I mean if there's one single person in the league who rivals Bruce for being out of touch with the game, it's gotta be him.

Coughlin won 2 SB. Bruce none...

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Again, most of us can stomach losing, so long as an honest and coordinated approach is being attempted.  

I can stomach many things with this team but Bruce being unclassy and snaky...

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Seeing Grant Paulsen advocate for the dumpster fires that are the Dolphins and Jags reminds me of @BatteredFanSyndrome telling us all offseason about how the Browns were “doing things the right way”.

And I will say this about the Phins and Jags...they haven’t won anything at all in almost 50 years, or ever, but their fans don’t boycott because hot-take radio guys tell them to.  So they have that going for them!

I realize being random and wrong is your forte and all...

But you’ve got the wrong guy.  I did no such thing.  I mean if you consider me saying that stripping the team of bad contracts, gathering draft picks, hiring a GM with actual experience, and getting out of his way is the right way, then guilty as charged.  But I have never been all-in on Mayfield, Kitchens, how OBJ fits in there and the list goes on.  You’ll find nothing of the sort  of me telling you all offseason how all that stuff is the right way.  That said, I still think the Browns have a better chance of achieving success than the Skins if things stay status quo here.

I don’t need the local media to explain to me what’s already clear as day to everyone not waving ‘6-3’ never forget flags on their Mazda 6.

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Greggggg would have been a trash hire, too.  

LOL at firing Furher Coughlin in 2020 being a foolish move.  That's rich.  I mean if there's one single person in the league who rivals Bruce for being out of touch with the game, it's gotta be him.

Look, there's no telling if a rebuild like Miami or Cleveland actually will pan out.  They have to draft well, hire well, AND find some luck along the way.  At least they are TRYING though.  The more high picks you have, the better the odds.  Those franchises gave themselves an honest assesment and are attempting to rebuild from the ground up.  When have we ever done anything remotely close to that?

Again, most of us can stomach losing, so long as an honest and coordinated approach is being attempted.  

I wouldn’t scoff at Coughlins achievements either with NY or Jax. He moved Dante Fowler, a bust, for a 3rd last year ( Quincey Williams) and a 5th this year, drafted a better edge rusher in Josh Allen ( 10 sacks 2 FF), and the future franchise qb in the 6th, while securing two firsts this year and next year! That’s awesome. On top of that, they were competitive all year. 

Hmm...

"Khan created the position of executive vice president of football operations when he hired Coughlin in January 2017, because he believed the organization needed someone with more football knowledge and experience. Khan also gave Coughlin, the first coach in team history, final say over all football decisions. Until then, general manager Dave Caldwell had the final say.

Not many teams operate with that structure because it can create confusion inside the building regarding who is really in charge -- especially if the person ultimately in charge can't help but meddle in coaching decisions, which is what a league source says happened in Jacksonville with Coughlin."

And, BTW, the Jaguars just went to the AFCCG 2 years ago. That's further than the Redskins have gone in almost 30 years and they fired Coughin anyway.

Meanwhile in Washington:

Beavis.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bou

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28330738/with-tom-coughlin-happens-next-jaguars

25 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I wouldn’t scoff at Coughlins achievements either with NY or Jax. He moved Dante Fowler, a bust, for a 3rd last year ( Quincey Williams) and a 5th this year, drafted a better edge rusher in Josh Allen ( 10 sacks 2 FF), and the future franchise qb in the 6th, while securing two firsts this year and next year! That’s awesome. On top of that, they were competitive all year. 

It's not really about a transaction level assessment with him, though he also drafted a RB #4 and traded away the best corner in the game.

He cultivated a culture so outdated that the NFLPA literally warmed players not to go to Jax.  He does not fit the league anymore, regardless of his previous accomplishments.

More on the Meyer thing from Chris Russell -

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/gm-report/does-meyer-make-sense

Does Meyer Make Sense?

Urban Meyer was at the Redskins game Sunday as everyone is aware but apparently he wasn't in Dan Snyder's box for any other reason than being a guest of Terry McLaurin. 

OK, that's a nice story. Assuming it's true. It's interesting that if Meyer was just a guest of McLaurin's that he wound up in the owners' box. 

The Redskins might not even have a chance if they want it.  Nobody seems to want them. 

There was a report that Meyer was consulting Dan Snyder on the head coaching search. I've heard that's not true, but I can't prove it as the process is shrouded in mystery.

There was also informed speculation from Chris Spielman of FOX, who was in town for the Redskins game Sunday, that Meyer would prefer to be an NFL executive as opposed to coaching.

That would seem to verify what Meyer apparently told Brit Hume of FOX.

Spielman, on his podcast, seemed to confirm that this is the direction Meyer would want to go, without directly saying it. 

"What makes everybody think Urban would coach?" Spielman asked.

"He knows how to hire pretty good coaches" "Why not put him as a, I don't want to say a GM role, but more as a president's type position?" 

"Urban knows Dan Snyder," Spielman said. Meyer certainly knows Alex Smith, who we know is very much growing in influence. The two sat together in Snyder's box and Meyer was Smith's college coach as well. 

The question for me is two-fold: Is it a good idea to add Urban Meyer to the Washington Redskins organization?

I say yes! First and foremost, anything that ensures that Bruce Allen is out of the organization is the correct choice. Allen has to go or nothing will ever improve. 

The next issue (assuming you said yes) is what role and what structure?

If I had my choice - as I said on 106.7 The FAN & Radio.com - I would be more comfortable with Meyer as a head coach than a general manager role because he of course has been successful in that role. 

There's no guarantee at all that he would be successful on the NFL level as he was in three different stops in college. However, I think he has a chance. 

Meyer has said before that the Cowboys job is the appealing gig but money and power can change a lot about how someone feels. What if Snyder waves $10 million and "full power" over everyone? You know (ahem) like he gave to Mike Shanahan. 

I do not think Meyer would be a good fit as a general manager and essentially top football person in an organization. 

Why? He's never done that role in any way and of course, an NFL franchise is enormously different than running a major college program because of the salary cap and CBA restrictions. Roster limitations also play into it as well. 

I would be willing to strongly consider a "President of Football Operations" role IF and only IF, Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith stay with the organization and the three make up a triangular football power hierarchy. 

Schaffer would obviously remain very instrumental in the salary cap, contracts and legal issues along with being a good, genuine person. Schaffer could retain his Senior Vice President of Football Operations title.

Kyle Smith would either be the General Manager or the Senior Vice President of Player Personnel. I'm honestly not sure what they would do with Doug Williams. 

My understanding is and always has been that Williams is mostly in a figure-head type role so I am all for him staying, but the Redskins need a new direction, even if they are promoting from within, in my suggested power structure. 

The next question that I'd have if Meyer takes on any sort of role with the Redskins and isn't just using them for more money and leverage is this? 

What is his relationship with Dwayne Haskins? 

"He's got a good relationship with Dwayne. He's got a great relationship with Terry," Spielman said.  That's an interesting answer from Spielman, and it might explain why Haskins supposedly had no idea Meyer would be there despite McLaurin inviting him. 

Weird, right? 

Good doesn't mean great and if that's true, Meyer will either have to deal with whatever he doesn't love OR he'll be honest and it might cost him the job. 

Ben Standig of the Athletic, earlier this week, wrote "how candidates view Haskins, and Washington’s level of rigidity with keeping their young passer in the starting lineup will shape the process. This cuts both ways with Meyer. Haskins’ lone starting season at Ohio State doubled as Meyer’s last. The coach also received a long look under the hood during Haskins’ three-years on campus. Whatever concerns exist with Haskins did not just emerge upon arriving in Washington."

That doesn't exactly say anything specific but if you read between the words, it seems like Meyer might not have full confidence in Haskins. 

Meyer talked openly about this recently while praising Haskins as the best quarterback ever at Ohio State. He added that Haskins maturity and leadership was not good when he first arrived in Columbus. 

My best guess is that Meyer is annoyed by some things but he'll be able to get past it if he's offered the top football executive role or something similar. 

One last one for the road: The Redskins should not ask Meyer to be the head coach and top decision maker contractually. It didn't work with Shanahan when he had that in his contract and immediately, the Redskins cut him down at his knees based on what I've heard from multiple people. 

You do NOT want the same type of dysfunction again. Yes, removing Allen would help but it would not solve everything and specifically could come crashing down when dealing with Haskins moving forward. 

22 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/gm-report/does-meyer-make-sense

Does Meyer Make Sense?

Urban Meyer was at the Redskins game Sunday as everyone is aware but apparently he wasn't in Dan Snyder's box for any other reason than being a guest of Terry McLaurin. 

OK, that's a nice story. Assuming it's true. It's interesting that if Meyer was just a guest of McLaurin's that he wound up in the owners' box. 

The Redskins might not even have a chance if they want it.  Nobody seems to want them. 

There was a report that Meyer was consulting Dan Snyder on the head coaching search. I've heard that's not true, but I can't prove it as the process is shrouded in mystery.

There was also informed speculation from Chris Spielman of FOX, who was in town for the Redskins game Sunday, that Meyer would prefer to be an NFL executive as opposed to coaching.

That would seem to verify what Meyer apparently told Brit Hume of FOX.

Spielman, on his podcast, seemed to confirm that this is the direction Meyer would want to go, without directly saying it. 

"What makes everybody think Urban would coach?" Spielman asked.

"He knows how to hire pretty good coaches" "Why not put him as a, I don't want to say a GM role, but more as a president's type position?" 

"Urban knows Dan Snyder," Spielman said. Meyer certainly knows Alex Smith, who we know is very much growing in influence. The two sat together in Snyder's box and Meyer was Smith's college coach as well. 

The question for me is two-fold: Is it a good idea to add Urban Meyer to the Washington Redskins organization?

I say yes! First and foremost, anything that ensures that Bruce Allen is out of the organization is the correct choice. Allen has to go or nothing will ever improve. 

The next issue (assuming you said yes) is what role and what structure?

If I had my choice - as I said on 106.7 The FAN & Radio.com - I would be more comfortable with Meyer as a head coach than a general manager role because he of course has been successful in that role. 

There's no guarantee at all that he would be successful on the NFL level as he was in three different stops in college. However, I think he has a chance. 

Meyer has said before that the Cowboys job is the appealing gig but money and power can change a lot about how someone feels. What if Snyder waves $10 million and "full power" over everyone? You know (ahem) like he gave to Mike Shanahan. 

I do not think Meyer would be a good fit as a general manager and essentially top football person in an organization. 

Why? He's never done that role in any way and of course, an NFL franchise is enormously different than running a major college program because of the salary cap and CBA restrictions. Roster limitations also play into it as well. 

I would be willing to strongly consider a "President of Football Operations" role IF and only IF, Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith stay with the organization and the three make up a triangular football power hierarchy. 

Schaffer would obviously remain very instrumental in the salary cap, contracts and legal issues along with being a good, genuine person. Schaffer could retain his Senior Vice President of Football Operations title.

Kyle Smith would either be the General Manager or the Senior Vice President of Player Personnel. I'm honestly not sure what they would do with Doug Williams. 

My understanding is and always has been that Williams is mostly in a figure-head type role so I am all for him staying, but the Redskins need a new direction, even if they are promoting from within, in my suggested power structure. 

The next question that I'd have if Meyer takes on any sort of role with the Redskins and isn't just using them for more money and leverage is this? 

What is his relationship with Dwayne Haskins? 

"He's got a good relationship with Dwayne. He's got a great relationship with Terry," Spielman said.  That's an interesting answer from Spielman, and it might explain why Haskins supposedly had no idea Meyer would be there despite McLaurin inviting him. 

Weird, right? 

Good doesn't mean great and if that's true, Meyer will either have to deal with whatever he doesn't love OR he'll be honest and it might cost him the job. 

Ben Standig of the Athletic, earlier this week, wrote "how candidates view Haskins, and Washington’s level of rigidity with keeping their young passer in the starting lineup will shape the process. This cuts both ways with Meyer. Haskins’ lone starting season at Ohio State doubled as Meyer’s last. The coach also received a long look under the hood during Haskins’ three-years on campus. Whatever concerns exist with Haskins did not just emerge upon arriving in Washington."

That doesn't exactly say anything specific but if you read between the words, it seems like Meyer might not have full confidence in Haskins. 

Meyer talked openly about this recently while praising Haskins as the best quarterback ever at Ohio State. He added that Haskins maturity and leadership was not good when he first arrived in Columbus. 

My best guess is that Meyer is annoyed by some things but he'll be able to get past it if he's offered the top football executive role or something similar. 

One last one for the road: The Redskins should not ask Meyer to be the head coach and top decision maker contractually. It didn't work with Shanahan when he had that in his contract and immediately, the Redskins cut him down at his knees based on what I've heard from multiple people. 

You do NOT want the same type of dysfunction again. Yes, removing Allen would help but it would not solve everything and specifically could come crashing down when dealing with Haskins moving forward. 

Great article by Russell.  Wish more of the best writers dove as deep as he does.  Thx for sharing.  

29 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I can easily see Meyer taking over as President but not GM.  I'd want Smith held in that position.  Big Q is does Day (Meyer influence) give up security at Ohio St. to come to Washington or does Bienemy become HC (Smith influence).  I personally want Schaffer and Smith to stay.  I'm good with Meyer being President if all the other things happened.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I can easily see Meyer taking over as President but not GM.  I'd want Smith held in that position.  Big Q is does Day (Meyer influence) give up security at Ohio St. to come to Washington or does Bienemy become HC (Smith influence).  I personally want Schaffer and Smith to stay.  I'm good with Meyer being President if all the other things happened.

I agree w/ Russell in that I’d want Meyer to act as HC over just be President. Fine if it’s both.  The former HC as President hasn’t shown great results (e.g. Parcells -> Miami, Holmgren -> Browns).

If he would only be President, I think you have to let him pick all his own guys.  We all like Kyle Smith, but he’d have to be a fit for Meyer too. 

If he comes, I hope he coaches. 

2 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Look, there's no telling if a rebuild like Miami or Cleveland actually will pan out.  They have to draft well, hire well, AND find some luck along the way.  At least they are TRYING though.  The more high picks you have, the better the odds.  Those franchises gave themselves an honest assesment and are attempting to rebuild from the ground up.  When have we ever done anything remotely close to that?

What's always cracked me up about people who pull the "but there's no guarantee a rebuild will work" line (apart from the general intellectual laziness of using the word 'guarantee' as a shortcut to avoid actual reasoning) is- what's the alternative? Well, we've seen the alternative. It's what Washington, Miami and Cincinnati have been doing for years. Basically going all-in on trying to be competitive every year, settling for competing rather than contending, with no plan to ever do more. And the results we can see from those organizations- when it works, you get sporadic first round playoff losses mixed with 6 and 7 win years.

And, of course, it's still as liable to not work, as we see Cincy and the Skins possibly ending up as the two worst teams in the league this year (Miami is trying to get off the mediocrity train, so I'm not counting their results as part of that).

But, you know, it's possible a rebuild won't work, so I suppose we should never try to do any better than mediocrity. 

Meyer is a winner. We don't have any proven winners in our front office or on our coaching staff. If he is truly interested and committed to making this franchise great again then i am all for giving him the keys.....most especially if it means canning Bruce. I know he hasn't won in the NFL but he's still a winner and will bring in good coaches/players.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

What's always cracked me up about people who pull the "but there's no guarantee a rebuild will work

But, you know, it's possible a rebuild won't work, so I suppose we should never try to do any better than mediocrity. 

Agree. Also I think it brings home a sad point if we are knocking the Browns for their rebuild not taking them to the promised land yet even though regardless they are clearly better than our team at least for now.

Just 2 seasons ago and for a long time running they have been the absolute bottom of the NFL. The Browns have been the number 1 laughing stock.

2 years later they have twice the amount of wins we do. We by far have replaced them as the laughingstock team, so I don’t see how we got the last laugh? If u ask coaches right now which team would they want to take over the Redskins or Browns, I’d guess they’d all take the Browns.

The Browns problem IMO is their HC. And Mayfield having an RG3 like mega sophomore slump. 

Rebuilds take time but if you do it right that’s how you build sustainable winners. And agree there are no guarantees. It’s about playing the odds.  

Dan has done the we are close version of playing the odds for years. He has eschewed the rebuild method and we’ve seen the results.  The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting the results to change.

The Dolphins got tired of the we are close method and are trying something new. No way to know if it works but at least they are trying to do it differently.

I’m not sure that anyone is knocking the browns/bengals/dolphins/jags for their attempt at rebuilding. It’s something that we have somewhat tried, but have failed because we commit to half-measures. I personally don’t think we should be regarding them any higher on the chart because just like us they fail to create an atmosphere that could be successful. 

Kitchens shouldn’t have been coach, and OBJ shouldn’t have been sought. Marvin Lewis should not have lasted that long, and AJ Green should have been moved At the deadline. Jax removed the one man that brought any semblance of success to the franchise in favor of what wasn’t working prior to his return. Miami. 

I think we have an opportunity to succeed in place. We have produced a lot of talented front office personnel here: LaFluer, McVay, Shanahan, Williams. But we haven’t committed to any of them, and allowed Allen to poison the well. I don’t really care who they bring in at coach as long as we elevate Kyle Smith to GM, and remove Bruce Allen immediately. Part of being a good GM is having good relations with other GMs, free agents, and players, as well as putting the team in the right position to succeed. I think KS can do that.  

9 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'd have no problem with this structure and its something I was thinking when I first heard it. If he couldn't handle the college job twice, I'm thinking he wouldn't last long in the NFL role. But the President sets a direction for the franchise and basically I could start seeing the things Snyder said about Bruce holding true for Meyer - like he comes from a culture of winning. 

Would I expect Meyer to be on the phone doing trades or in the booth telling the coach when to challenge a call? Nope. But lets say that the next coach is EB or KOC - two first time guys who may want to have easy practices or be players type guys. I'd think that Meyer would be more hard nosed than that and wouldn't allow that. But in some ways it becomes that he'd be like a figurehead because of his past successes and would be looking for coaches who are like him and telling Schaffer and Smith to look for players that have a certain mentality like his OSU guys. 

I'd be for it. 

Hello REDSKINS fans, would just like to chime in as a former Bills fan (HTTR), things changed up there once the Pegulas got rid of Russ Brandon! He too was reassigned throughout the years! Point is, there can be NO reassignment, Bruce must go!!! As a diehard NATS fan(2006), I so bad want to be a Redskins fan, but Allen must go!!!!

As for what to do after Brucifer is gone?

My initial thought was Eliot Wolf to run things with McCarthy as HC, for stability.

Y’all make some valid points with Schaefer? and Kyle Smith though, with say a Rivera? Meyer would definitely be a BIG splash, for sure. Bienemy is Zorn 2.0, I agree. KOC is just not ready, sorry. Anyway, thanks for letting me chime in, look forward to hanging with y’all!!

8 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I’m not sure that anyone is knocking the browns/bengals/dolphins/jags for their attempt at rebuilding. It’s something that we have somewhat tried, but have failed because we commit to half-measures. I personally don’t think we should be regarding them any higher on the chart because just like us they fail to create an atmosphere that could be successful. 

The Browns specifically at the moment are more highly regarded than the Redskins are from what I can tell.   Real GM.  Good talent.  Better record.  They have won twice as many games as we have in their version of a disappointing season.   The Dolphins have a zillion draft picks in the next two years yet have the same record we do.  So I do regard them higher at the moment. 

IMO you don't do a rebuild half way.  That's not rebuilding.  The Dolphins at the beginning of the season had the youngest roster in the league.  The Browns the third youngest.  the Redskins had the 20th youngest roster.   19 teams have younger rosters than we do.

The rest of this isn't directed to your point.  My point is Dan needs to change how he does business.  I am stating the obvious but yeah maybe the 21st season is the charm with the same approach.  I can't mock other teams who are more aggressively rebuilding.  And yeah I do put them ahead of us until something I see works that elevates us above them.  The Browns have disappointed but they are still better than we are.   Their "rebuild" approach while disappointing thus far still beat what we are doing and by a good margin thus far. 

We can laugh at the Jaguars but they'd laugh at us harder.  They won twice the number of playoff games then we have during Dan's reign.  Dan's never exceeded 10 wins.  They've done it 3 times.  They won more games then we did this season and are loaded with picks next season.

In the 80s, early 90s, we'd compare ourselves to the best in the league.  Are we as good as the 49ers?  Giants?  Now during Dan's reign its hey we might not be as bad as the Browns.  The sad thing is it's not easy to win even those sad arguments.  But the fact that this is the discussion shows the depths this team has sunk to.  I see it on twitter sometimes too -- heck people are complaining about Dan but they should chill because we could be the Jaguars right now being mocked today around the league...

It's sort of living the analogy of the kid coming home with the D report card and their excuse is there are 3 other students in class that also got a D and you engage in the conversation like its a perfectly valid excuse.  Sadder yet you delve deeper and you aren't even sure those 3 students are really worse.  But even if you won that argument, so what?   Talk about low standards.  Dan's legacy?

25 minutes ago, Goldynboy7 said:

Hello REDSKINS fans, would just like to chime in as a former Bills fan (HTTR), things changed up there once the Pegulas got rid of Russ Brandon! He too was reassigned throughout the years! Point is, there can be NO reassignment, Bruce must go!!! As a diehard NATS fan(2006), I so bad want to be a Redskins fan, but Allen must go!!!!

My initial thought was Eliot Wolf to run things with McCarthy as HC, for stability.

Y’all make some valid points with Schaefer? and Kyle Smith though, with say a Rivera? Meyer would definitely be a BIG splash, for sure. Bienemy is Zorn 2.0, I agree. KOC is just not ready, sorry. Anyway, thanks for letting me chime in, look forward to hanging with y’all!!

I agree Bruce has to be out, not reassigned. 

The thing that makes just about every NFL organization unique compared to us including the Bills is you've gotten new ownership over the years.  Ditto the Browns, Jaguars, etc. 

When some say why are Redskins fans more doom and gloom than other downtrodden organization?  The reason to me is obvious.  Those teams have had actual regime changes, both in ownership and in the GM spot. 

For this to be apples to apples, to the other organizations Dan would have left years ago and we'd be whining about the next owner let's say Bezos.  Clearly, that's not what's happened here.    The closest version to this I guess would be the Al Davis Raiders back when he was alive.  They seemed stuck with him forever.  But in his case at least he won a SB. 

36 minutes ago, Goldynboy7 said:

In my opinion, though, Russ Brandon was not the problem with the Bills. He was a symptom of the problem: They didn't have good football personnel guys put in place. But Brandon was generally well liked and respected amongst players, coaches and the general population. Comparing Brandon to Allen is a bit of a stretch. Picking bad people (like Whaley) was a common ground for Allen and Brandon, but Brandon isn't even close to being the same animal. 

I think the real tidbit Skins fans should look to Buffalo for is that the Bills hired McDermott... And McDermott demanded a talent guy that helps build the roster he needs and THEN they hired Beane. The Bills are one reason I am in favor of this method of building. 

I have no problem with the traditional GM -> HC model, but I am open to the HC -> GM model as well.

If the HC is the one in the power position, them hiring a personnel guy that they know can acquire the personnel they need is an underrated aspect of that business path. Catch there, though, is if the HC goes, the GM has to go. In the other structure it's opposite. But either way, you need a relationship between those two positions that works well.

The Redskins do not have that. In any form.

Archived