Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

59 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Wait...they have football people in the building? Isn't it the same guys that have been around as long as Allen, or longer? 

Not to mention Doug Williams, our supposed QB talent evaluator.  He evidently thought Nate Sudfeld was playing at the level of a first round pick.  Then a few weeks later, we let him walk for nothing to our Super Bowl winning divisional rival.  Pretty awesome evaluation and handling of team assets right there. 

https://fansided.com/2017/06/19/redskins-kirk-cousins-nate-sudfeld-rumors/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/06/19/doug-williams-has-high-high-praise-for-redskins-third-string-qb-nate-sudfeld/

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/doug-williams-believes-nate-sudfeld-has-already-taken-major-steps-forward-redskins

• Like 5

Bruce isn't going to hire anyone who has strong opinions or is strong minded; he needs to be in control all the time.

Therefore, no point in getting 'hyped up' over any FO hirings; they will all be 'yes' men with the slightest amount of pressure.

Job security.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear Bruce hired a line worker from Subway; he will spin it as 'the guy has a good knowledge of healthy eating which will keep our players healthier'. Then on the field, a fan could throw a foot long at a player and knock him over...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If this trade for Alex Smith is Bruce Allen and a "win now" move then Dan should hold him accountable and if not in the NFCCG in at most 2 seasons let him go and get another GM

43 minutes ago, c slag said:

If this trade for Alex Smith is Bruce Allen and a "win now" move then Dan should hold him accountable and if not in the NFCCG in at most 2 seasons let him go and get another GM

of course its a win now move. this franchise is not willing to tank or do a complete rebuild.  It's just renovation after renovation of a house with poor structural foundation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

of course its a win now move. this franchise is not willing to tank or do a complete rebuild.  It's just renovation after renovation of a house with poor structural foundation. 

Could not have put it better myself. You forgot, of course about the bad roof. Doubly sad

This might be response merged, but I doubt it because this will take some time.

we can still salvage this situation and put the Redskins on the path, but we have to act now, right now.

1. Fire Bruce Allen. 

2. Call the Chiefs and rescind the trade. “Sorry, that was Bruce. He no longer works here.”

3. Call McCartney, Kirks agent and inform him we’ve gone a different direction and that we won’t be trading for Smith.

4. Promote Doug Williams to GM, place the talent, scouting, and player evaluation on Jay and the scouts. 

5. Do not sign or try to negotiate with Cousins before the end of the tag period. 

6. Don’t tag Cousins.

congrats, you’ve now made everyone wonder why you didn’t re-sign Cousins.

I have a couple of other steps, but if this first agenda were implemented, we’d be much better off. 

On 2/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, Reaper Skins said:

Not to mention Doug Williams, our supposed QB talent evaluator.  He evidently thought Nate Sudfeld was playing at the level of a first round pick.  Then a few weeks later, we let him walk for nothing to our Super Bowl winning divisional rival.  Pretty awesome evaluation and handling of team assets right there. 

You're making the mistake of judging this situation with 2017/18 eyes. Gaze into the crystal ball of the 80s! Let the memories of past greatness guide you in the present. Suddenly, Doug Williams looks awesome again! Hey, who's on Carson tonight? 

• Like 3

The results of McCarron's grievance were announced pretty fast. McCloughan's grievance was heard two months ago, and not a peep. No disparaging leaks from Wyllie and company. Makes me wonder if McCloughan won the grievance, or there was a settlement in his favor that included silence on the terms.

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

The results of McCarron's grievance were announced pretty fast. McCloughan's grievance was heard two months ago, and not a peep. No disparaging leaks from Wyllie and company. Makes me wonder if McCloughan won the grievance, or there was a settlement in his favor that included silence on the terms.

If SM's wife is remaining silent, you have to assume it went in their favor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

If SM's wife is remaining silent, you have to assume it went in their favor. 

Doubtful.

She would either:

1 - Mock the Redskins as always if her husband won.

2 - **** about it if the Redskins won.

3 - Have created an anonymous account and start leaking about it if she was supposed to shut up.

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Sure it was a pay off and keep quiet deal.

13 hours ago, Birdlives said:

we can still salvage this situation and put the Redskins on the path, but we have to act now, right now.

1. Fire Bruce Allen. 

2. Call the Chiefs and rescind the trade. “Sorry, that was Bruce. He no longer works here.”

3. Call McCartney, Kirks agent and inform him we’ve gone a different direction and that we won’t be trading for Smith.

4. Promote Doug Williams to GM, place the talent, scouting, and player evaluation on Jay and the scouts. 

5. Do not sign or try to negotiate with Cousins before the end of the tag period. 

6. Don’t tag Cousins.

As much as I'd love to see Bruce gone -- elevating Doug to GM would make me gag.  I'd rather even keep the status quo.  

Now, Doug to me is a classier dude by a mile than it appears Bruce is.

But Doug would be IMO another example of Dan mocking the significance of having personnel gurus running personnel.   If they can Bruce, hire someone with a serious reputation versus someone who is about nostalgia or is someone who can be his close pal. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Birdlives said:

This might be response merged, but I doubt it because this will take some time.

1. Fire Bruce Allen. 

6. Don’t tag Cousins.

I'd LOVE to see Bruce shown the door. I'll personally throw a party JUST for this to happen.

Even if Brucie was shown the door, anything having to do with Cousins is over; that ship has sailed, and I think there'd be a ton of fans dis-liking the idea of signing KC to anything, just because of how things have transpired over the last few months. If there was a way to put everything about KC behind them, they still would have KC's feelings about how he was treated. It would end up being a love-hate relationship.

Until the day Bruce Allen is fired from this organization, this team, will never reach standards of being a perennial winner with playoff visits yearly. Maybe a luck shot back door playoff in-n-out quickie playoff visit every few years, but nothing that shows promise.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As much as I'd love to see Bruce gone -- elevating Doug to GM would make me gag.  I'd rather even keep the status quo.  

Now, Doug to me is a classier dude by a mile than it appears Bruce is.

But Doug would be IMO another example of Dan mocking the significance of having personnel gurus running personnel.   If they can Bruce, hire someone with a serious reputation versus someone who is about nostalgia or is someone who can be his close pal. 

SIP, if Allen is silly enough and Dan allows him to tag KC and KC wins in a grievance, I think SnyderAllen becomes SnyderSchaffer and along with Allen out Williams will be too.  I could possible see Schaffer promoting Kyle Smith or someone else as our new GM.  I've heard that Campbell doesn't want to be a GM so that's why I didn't include him but if that news were false I think Schaffer would turn GM responsibilities over to Campbell first, then Smith if Campbell didn't want the title of GM.  Just a thought.  :)

Edited by RWJ

The sad thing thing is, no one would think there was any chance any team would do any foolishness like what's being discussed with Cousins. Except it's us. The people we have running our team make people think it's possible something that dumb could be possible.

I hope that makes everyone feel good about the people entrusted to running the Redskins.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Again, I think if Allen screws things up and tags KC and KC outsmarts Allen which his agent has done every time, Allen is GONE!

7 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The sad thing thing is, no one would think there was any chance any team would do any foolishness like what's being discussed with Cousins. Except it's us. The people we have running our team make people think it's possible something that dumb could be possible.

I hope that makes everyone feel good about the people entrusted to running the Redskins.

Your clip at the bottom of your posts say it all.

Allen is the chick, and the team and the fans are the ball. And it never stops, it keeps going and going and going...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Again, I think if Allen screws things up and tags KC and KC outsmarts Allen which his agent has done every time, Allen is GONE!

Why is there an IF?

I thought Allen already screwed up things those last years...

Bruce seems like a made guy over in Ashburn. The only way that stupid idiot goes is if the wheels come off and we win 2 or 3 games. 

8 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Peter King today:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/19/quarterback-free-agency-draft-peter-king-mmqb

"I think it’s very hard for me to imagine Washington giving Kirk Cousins the franchise tag for one simple reason: When you put a franchise tag on a player, you intend to employ him at that rate of pay for the season. Washington intends to employ Alex Smith as it quarterback for 2018 and beyond. So if the team does tag Cousins, he would immediately file a grievance to block it, as our Albert Breer reported Thursday. And Cousins would win easily."

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

SIP, if Allen is silly enough and Dan allows him to tag KC and KC wins in a grievance, I think SnyderAllen becomes SnyderSchaffer and along with Allen out Williams will be too.  I could possible see Schaffer promoting Kyle Smith or someone else as our new GM.  I've heard that Campbell doesn't want to be a GM so that's why I didn't include him but if that news were false I think Schaffer would turn GM responsibilities over to Campbell first, then Smith if Campbell didn't want the title of GM.  Just a thought.  :)

I like Schaffer.  He's smart and seems classy.  Not a true personnel guy but I'd take him over Bruce.   Kyle Smith also seems about pure football.  I'd prefer a top personnel guy from elsewhere but I could live with a set up like this for the time being.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Deserved or not deserved (I am in the camp of deserved) I think its hard to question that Bruce has put himself and the FO back to punchline status.  I grant for Bruce it took him longer than Cerrato to find himself in the camp of being an instant subject of mockery -- but he got there or is right on the brink of being a national punch line.

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Redskins-offseason-Redskins-could-cut-Josh-Norman-this-offseason-115296051

For what it's worth, Norman's potential departure wouldn't be the most unexpected move, but it would be somewhat concerning given the the impending loss of Kendall Fuller and the likely one of Bashaud Breeland. It would likely leave the Redskins having to overpay for a starter to replace, and as they've shown in the past, they aren't exactly wise when it comes to throwing money around.

At some point though, enough has to be enough. The front office has led the Redskins backwards and is seemingly a punchline around the NFL, leaving it more and more difficult for them to sign anyone to begin with.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Why is there an IF?

I thought Allen already screwed up things those last years...

Specifically, talking about tagging KC.

On 2/18/2018 at 7:34 AM, Dissident2 said:

You're making the mistake of judging this situation with 2017/18 eyes. Gaze into the crystal ball of the 80s! Let the memories of past greatness guide you in the present. Suddenly, Doug Williams looks awesome again! Hey, who's on Carson tonight? 

I'm just excited to wake up next Saturday and watch Smurfs before heading to my soccer game. It's fun playing, but hoping that some mom will bring Capri-Suns instead of oranges for the halftime refreshment is what really makes me happy! After the game, I'll probably have a couple friends over and play Voltron and Transformers. Then, after my bath, I get in my Redskin pajamas and go to sleep. When I wake up the next morning, I'll be ready for Gibbs to lead the Redskins out onto the sloppy RFK field to beat up on yet another NFC rival. I love being 8. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sigh. Checked in this thread and regret it.

Same people that dogged the MGMT for letting Chris Baker walk. And take a look at how his time was spent in Tampa. Hint: loafing. 

If y'all don't get it right the first time you'll never cease to amaze me with your ways of pinning the tail back on your ex future father in-law (aka Snyder/current GM)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Sigh. Checked in this thread and regret it.

Same people that dogged the MGMT for letting Chris Baker walk. And take a look at how his time was spent in Tampa. Hint: loafing. 

If y'all don't get it right the first time you'll never cease to amaze me with your ways of pinning the tail back on your ex future father in-law (aka Snyder/current GM)

It’s the easy thing to do.

Funniest part is if you present reasoning outside of saying the FO is terrible, Bruce is a douche, and Dan is a master manipulator, it means you have a blind allegiance to the FO and kick the player to the curb in favor of Bruce/Dan. Some make it very black and white when there is in fact a lot of grey area here. 

You would think we were the Cleveland Browns who went 1-31 (LOL) the last two seasons by listening to some. Not a team who has an above .500 winning percentage over the past three seasons. The narrative doesn’t necessarily fit reality, but then I remind myself that some people just love being negative for the sake of being negative. It’s easy or comfortable, or maybe some truly don’t recognize the power of instantaneous media and social media in today’s day and age. 

• Like 1