Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

24 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Just to set the context, I think "legit dumb" is extremely relative here. It wouldn't surprise me if Allen isn't considered nearly intelligent enough to run one of 32 NFL organizations. But, in the population of the country, he's still probably in the top 1-2% if that makes sense. The people who run the successful sports organizations are legitimately brilliant. I would not be shocked at all to find out that Allen is not. 

I'm not granting top 1-2% (not saying he's not, just that I don't know his intelligence well enough to go that far), but I agree with you in general. Lack of football acumen and prioritizing politics and PR over team building do not equal him being "dumb".

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not granting top 1-2% (not saying he's not, just that I don't know his intelligence well enough to go that far), but I agree with you in general. Lack of football acumen and prioritizing politics and PR over team building do not equal him being "dumb".

I guess when I think of this country I just think there are fewer adequately intelligent people than I used to believe. But I may have been generous - hahaha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I guess when I think of this country I just think there are fewer adequately intelligent people than I used to believe. But I may have been generous - hahaha

Even engaging in that discussion can do nothing but get me in trouble....

• Haha 1

Bruce Allen is both brilliant and an idiot.  Let me explain.

I do agree he could be in the top 2% in the country.  Heck, he has to be brilliant at something even if its just convincing the owner to keep him employed.  But brilliance is actually worthless if you dont have the right attitude.  Just like NFL draftees are all in the top 1-2% in talent, and yet many dont end up being any good.

Because if your ego is too big, and you think too highly of yourself, you destroy all of your brilliance and just become a regular idiot.  Theres a lot of smart people out there, just like theres a lot of talented athletes, that never do anything meaningful because they are too caught up in their opinion of themselves to put the real hard work in, and questioning themselves to make sure they constantly improve, that the likes of Bellichik and Antonio Brown do. Talent and brilliance give you the opportunity, attitude determines if you take it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Bruce Allen is both brilliant and an idiot.  Let me explain.

I do agree he could be in the top 2% in the country.  Heck, he has to be brilliant at something even if its just convincing the owner to keep him employed.  But brilliance is actually worthless if you dont have the right attitude.  Just like NFL draftees are all in the top 1-2% in talent, and yet many dont end up being any good.

Because if your ego is too big, and you think too highly of yourself, you destroy all of your brilliance and just become a regular idiot.  Theres a lot of smart people out there, just like theres a lot of talented athletes, that never do anything meaningful because they are too caught up in their opinion of themselves to put the real hard work in, and questioning themselves to make sure they constantly improve, that the likes of Bellichik and Antonio Brown do. Talent and brilliance give you the opportunity, attitude determines if you take it.

No, Bruce Allen is neither; he is egotistical.

He doesn't have to be brilliant, or even good, he just has to be someone associated with the organization in any form, so Dan can collect him, and others, like mementos.

Bruce Allen has a trail of victimized teams, shady dealings and questionable morals. He is best known for contract negotiations which heavily favor the team, and releases good players who want to be paid more, all done in the contract to prevent paying the players what they deserve. Contracts designed to give players a fair deal in the beginning and increase as seasons go by, only to release them to avoid paying them the higher pay later on. So players busted their butts believing they would be getting a bigger salary the following year, only to find Bruce releases them.

The Cousins situation resembles this in a way; Bruce said 'prove it', Cousins did, then Bruce backs out. Unfortunately Cousins played fairly well, enough to generate a lot of attention from other teams interested; that's when his agent got the chub and convinced him the team wasn't interested and to bet on himself, which he did, and seemingly won.

Bottom line is, no one outside of Bruce Allen and Kirk Cousins will ever know all of the truth; it will be a lot of innuendos and opinions of why by fans, because neither person is innocent of the mess created. Both are at fault, and both are not the person they claim to be...

Snyder needs to hire a football guy if he wants to keep Allen.  The Eagles finally did this and it worked like a charm.  Bowie Rosemann did contracts and for many years pretending to be a General Manager.

Allen should be placed in the NFL concussion protocol.

Edited by FrFan

Couldn't tell if Cooley was basing it off of insider info or it was just his gut -- but he goes today Bruce's the lead on the stadium, he's not going anywhere until that's done.  Loverro posted if I recall on twitter recently something similar -- Bruce's job security is in place because of the stadium -- he's the key guy leading that.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Couldn't tell if Cooley was basing it off of insider info or it was just his gut -- but he goes today Bruce's the lead on the stadium, he's not going anywhere until that's done.  Loverro posted if I recall on twitter recently something similar -- Bruce's job security is in place because of the stadium -- he's the key guy leading that.

For the love of god, the lease runs through 2027 on FedEx Field.  God help us if he's really in play until the entire ordeal of the stadium is complete.  Can they not just make another role called President of Stadium Acquisition and get someone legit in there to worry about football?  Lord.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For the love of god, the lease runs through 2027 on FedEx Field.  God help us if he's really in play until the entire ordeal of the stadium is complete.  Can they not just make another role called President of Stadium Acquisition and get someone legit in there to worry about football?  Lord.

Not sure if he's in for sure until the stadium is completed -- it seems to be driven by just getting the stadium deal period.  But who knows?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure if he's in for sure until the stadium is completed -- it seems to be driven by just getting the stadium deal period.  But who knows?

Cooley's assertion was the deal...not really construction, moving in, etc. Again, if he's correct, it would be tied to the deal being struck and nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Cooley's assertion was the deal...not really construction, moving in, etc. Again, if he's correct, it would be tied to the deal being struck and nothing more. 

It could still be a while, grrrreeeaaattt.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It could still be a while, grrrreeeaaattt.

True, but "a while" really could be 1-2 more seasons. I don't think it'd be shocking to have the stadium stuff locked up 6-8 years before the FedEx lease expires. And, when you think about it, Allen being expendable to Snyder right around the time Gruden's contract expires fits nicely. 

I know that the Skins and VA were pushing hard to put a new stadium there under Gov. McAuliffe.  But he's out now, so if VA is still a consideration they need to start fresh with Gov. Northam.  He's a McAuliffe ally so it wouldn't be starting at Step 1, but without getting into his politics, the Skins would still need to sell him on the idea.  So they did move back a few steps in the process and that could lengthen the time for getting a stadium in VA.  

17 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

I know that the Skins and VA were pushing hard to put a new stadium there under Gov. McAuliffe.  But he's out now, so if VA is still a consideration they need to start fresh with Gov. Northam.  He's a McAuliffe ally so it wouldn't be starting at Step 1, but without getting into his politics, the Skins would still need to sell him on the idea.  So they did move back a few steps in the process and that could lengthen the time for getting a stadium in VA.  

Also there has been some talk of DC, Maryland and VA banding together against enticing the Redskins by offering to pay up to put the stadium in their location.  If that ends up true, this could be much more drawn out than one would expect.  Yippeee.

Words cannot even describe how much hate I have for this jackass. He and Snyder have further destroyed my beloved team. 

25 yrs this fan base has wanted a franchise QB and even after drafting the biggest flop in nfl history in terms of cost and production - they somehow still had a franchise qb on the team, AND F’d it up!!!!!!!!!

I’m a fan of 43 years and I may have to walk away for a while. I’ll never root for another team but it’s getting impossible to see any positivity... just cant stand to watch what they have become... it’s just too hard seeing my team be run like this. it’s always 1step up and 10 back. I see the smith trade as more of a Jason Taylor move. Bruce knows he screwed up and had to do something. They had a qb and blew it again. Idk. We are doomed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Again I will ask how do we know decisions made on Cousins were not without input from coaches and other football people?

I see a positive actually with Allen. Snyder was too much of a fan and Vinny indulged him getting whatever big name for any money they wanted.

Now guys get signed on prove it deals and I get the impression that it is more than just what happens on the field that affects negotiations. 

Pryor for instance would have gotten a huge long term deal now the team can make a decision on him.

It seems the team assigns players a ceiling and it won't go beyond that.

5 hours ago, Dan73 said:

Again I will ask how do we know decisions made on Cousins were not without input from coaches and other football people?

I see a positive actually with Allen. Snyder was too much of a fan and Vinny indulged him getting whatever big name for any money they wanted.

Now guys get signed on prove it deals and I get the impression that it is more than just what happens on the field that affects negotiations. 

Pryor for instance would have gotten a huge long term deal now the team can make a decision on him.

It seems the team assigns players a ceiling and it won't go beyond that.

How would have Pryor gotten a long term deal?  There's a reason why he had very little interest last offseason and also why he signed a one year deal. 

17 hours ago, Dan73 said:

Literally just googled "Jay Gruden wants Cousins back"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/08/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-doesnt-want-another-one-year-deal-for-kirk-cousins/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/12/27/jay-gruden-on-kirk-cousins-of-course-he-knows-that-we-want-him-back/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22004463/washington-redskins-head-coach-jay-gruden-wants-quarterback-kirk-cousins-contract-issue-resolved

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/01/09/washington-redskins-jay-gruden-wants-kirk-cousins-situation-settled/

Going overboard in the opposite direction isn't a positive.  You can tell it isn't a positive because our win-loss record is not better (actually worse)  now than it was under Cerrato.  His low-balling GM mindset caused the Cap penalty which decimated our depth chart, cost us Lorenzo Alexander, and leaves us in a position where we are constantly trying to cut corners to make up for lack of foresight and technical knowledge. 

Yeah like whether he's willing to admit he made a mistake because it's in the organization's best interest to do so.  Or would he rather save face and cost the team continuity and homegrown talent just to prove how big his Coors Light can is.

Prove it deals come with 2 serious downsides.  1. They show your front office isn't confident enough in their scouting abilities to make correct calls on long term player commitments.  2.  They sacrifice any sort of team continuity and hinder your coach'ss ability to build a successful long term team culture.

This is speculation, based on nothing

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

This is speculation, based on nothing

A lot like most of what that guy says, this part had me scratching my head.  So the guy chose to come to the Redskins on a 1 year/6M deal over a huge, long term deal elsewhere?  Not only is that speculation, but it's a really poor version of speculation.  What sense does that make? I think it was rather clear that he came here on a prove-it deal because he thought he could prove it and make top/elite WR money on a LTD in the future.  Unfortunately for him, Jay's system exposed him for the WR he is at this point in his career.

On 2/13/2018 at 9:39 PM, Dan73 said:

How do we know Allen is not listening to the football people in the building?

Wait...they have football people in the building? Isn't it the same guys that have been around as long as Allen, or longer? 

Which winning franchise did any of them come from?

Cleveland just signed more winning team FO guys in a week than the Redskins have in probably a decade (or 20 years?).

I wonder which team gets to 11 wins again first and we supposedly already have a QB and a 7 to 9 win team. 

I'd put my money on the Browns.

• Like 3