Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posed this elsewhere but it fits better here.  If Laconfora's article is right then we got the departing GM spearheading the coaching search.  Though I recall a similar thing with Cerrato, I recall him being a huge Shanny guy so I'd bet he pushed it ironically. 

Talk about Dan doing it backwards and weird.

I admit I do take some satisfaction with all the talk about how coaches apparently not only don't care for Bruce but don't like the "weird" FO structure.   Both topics were debated on this thread by me and others versus some who disagreed for years.  We contended that this FO structure isn't normal.  And apparently plenty in the NFL agree.

What I'm afraid of is, rather than change the structure,  Snyder will just go with the first person who's ok with the weird FO structure.  Who might be the 3rd or 4th choice.

42 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I don't understand this dicking around from Snyder. if your going to fire bruce, then ****ing do it! Get going on the evaluations. 

He doesn't want to fire Bruce. He wants Bruce to retire so he doesn't lose his golfing buddy. At least that's my thought.

Plus, who's going to hire the new coach and GM (in that order, of course) if Bruce is fired too early?

Dan is exactly the type of inept owner to allow Allen to hire the next coach before moving him to a different deck on this sinking ship.

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

We haven't even shined in the offseason for quite some time. The Kirk situation, the Trent situation, etc., etc. 

Still better than our regular seasons. So sad...

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I think Dan is going to hire a former player. Similar to Elway in Denver and John Lynch in San Francisco.

Craziest one and I think he might actually do it is Aikman. That’s a splash move and a middle finger to the Cowboys. Aikman wants a Gm role. 

Alex Smith would be the obvious choice. He announces his retirement, helps out the Skins cap situation, gets a GM job. 

I don’t love it. But I could see it.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone thinks that the way this team operates is normal.

What I really dont get is guys like Gruden being fired and then defending it. From what I can tell hes not on a NDA so its confusing. 

edit: I just got this horrible feeling that Bruce will retire and help Dan find his replacement on the way out.  

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Alex Smith would be the obvious choice. He announces his retirement, helps out the Skins cap situation, gets a GM job. 

In this scenario you know the GM has Haskins back which is prob what Dan wants

33 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What I really dont get is guys like Gruden being fired and then defending it. From what I can tell hes not on a NDA so its confusing. 

edit: I just got this horrible feeling that Bruce will retire and help Dan find his replacement on the way out.  

Unfortunately this makes the most logical sense, based on his history.

56 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I didn't take much of what Gruden had to say as a defense of the organization.  It sounded like he was just playing nice, and it depends on how you take the statement "They pay you well".  Sometimes, particularly, when it's the first part of a statement - that's a jab.  He also said him and the FO didn't see eye to eye on personnel and threw in the "but that's just how it is" in an effort not to sound like he was crying over spilled milk.  Dude wants to get a job elsewhere and isn't going to risk it all to trash anyone after his exit.  While he could probably say a lot, that many guys who could potentially hire him would agree with, it's never a good look to badmouth a prior boss.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

What I'm afraid of is, rather than change the structure,  Snyder will just go with the first person who's ok with the weird FO structure.  Who might be the 3rd or 4th choice.

Could be so.  I think they are vested in selling the warped structure.

The way I boil down their FO structure is something like this.  And clearly this doesn't escape coaching candidates.

A.  Committee structure of decisions = non-football minds (Bruce and Dan) have as much say in football decisions as anyone in that building. 

B.  Better yet, the non-football minds (Bruce and Dan) have final call.  And the football guys in that building can't complain since they don't have final say.

They defend the structure by saying hey its democracy at its best since everyone coaches included get to impart what they think.  But the bottom line of the structure is Bruce and Dan are in control and they make the final call and they weigh what everyone thinks and they decide what's best.  And clearly if you want to survive in that building, its best to roll with Bruce-Dan when they want something and agree if you want to keep your job. 

Plus those who suck up to Dan-Bruce and or is good at coddling them will be the most likely to thrive there. 

So for any coach to embrace the "committee structure", then they'd be embracing that the top football mind-minds in that building won't be making the calls.  

Bruce when on occasion has been cornered on that point liked to laugh it out and imply his power is just a formality and then deflects the attention to Doug or Kyle or whomever.  But yeah if that was really the case then why not give up that power?  Name one organization when the one with final say isn't truly powerful?  It's not a formality.  He just wants people to think it is and focus their attention elsewhere. 

Sheehan among others have said that that FO is a mess and a tough environment to work in isn't a well kept secret.  Heck just by stuff we know alone that has done public:

A.  Shanny saying that although he often wasn't interfered by Dan, he was interfered with sometimes.   And that's with Shanny given "full control" so are people going to take Dan's word this time?

B.  You got the things going south with both Scot and Lafemina both from whom I've heard have good connections in the league and talk

C.  You got both the Kirk and Trent situations being high profile situations and not in a good way.

D.  The rumblings that Doug is mostly a figurehead and he's not happy with that alebit they prop him up as a decision maker.  the whole Doug don't answer your phone part relating to the Alex trade. 

E. We got the weird Shanny-RG3 dynamic and soap opera that ensued with Kyle now a successful coach and willing to talk publicly about it being a zoo there.

F.  You got their best player being unwilling to play there and willing to sacrifice millions on that front

G. The high profile picking of Haskins which is attached to Dan-Bruce.  And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to deduce that the FO wasn't happy about it -- national reporters flat out said that was the case.

That's a lot of crap for someone coming in to digest and accept and something they want to be a part of.   And that's just the public stuff, i can imagine the stuff we don't know.

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I didn't take much of what Gruden had to say as a defense of the organization.  It sounded like he was just playing nice, and it depends on how you take the statement "They pay you well".  Sometimes, particularly, when it's the first part of a statement - that's a jab.  He also said him and the FO didn't see eye to eye on personnel and threw in the "but that's just how it is" in an effort not to sound like he was crying over spilled milk.  Dude wants to get a job elsewhere and isn't going to risk it all to trash anyone after his exit.  While he could probably say a lot, that many guys who could potentially hire him would agree with, it's never a good look to badmouth a prior boss.

Yea I guess you are right. I could argue that if you were worried about your future you wouldnt coach the Redskins, but I know you are right. I just hate it. 

Why is it everyone is acting like this game was some kind of special moment?

Green Bay is likely NFC Title Berth bound.  Their defense is pretty strong, and their offense is multi purpose, for once.

We didn't have the horses to compete once we got behind... period.

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Green Bay is likely NFC Title Berth bound.  Their defense is pretty strong, and their offense is multi purpose, for once.

Not    sure      I'm        gathering that beings       it's the bruce Allen thread   ??

9 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Not from the game outcome per se but generated from local guy tweets like the following.  There's either a lot of smoke or just media hype about FO changes but something is going on.

The game was over when Rogers converted that third and long when we had them pinned deep.  Went all the way down the field, burned a ton of clock, wore out the defense.

Haskins wasn't great, but the 14 point hole and the consistently ****ty 3rd down and long defense (our trademark) ensured we weren't gonna have enough to pull out a win.  We also showed no ability to adjust once the Guice injury eliminated our 1-2 RB punch attack.

6 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Not    sure      I'm        gathering that beings       it's the bruce Allen thread   ??

Yes I'm aware of the 'rumblings' of a FO shake up.  I guess I feel the same today about this as I did above Carolina last monday.   While going in I thought, this could be a trap/fire Ron game for the Panthers.   I didn't have anything before game that would make me think, oh this is the straw....

That's all I'm saying.

I think my opinion on bruce is known well enough.

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Yes I'm aware of the 'rumblings' of a FO shake up.  I guess I feel the same today about this as I did above Carolina last monday.   While going in I thought, this could be a trap/fire Ron game for the Panthers.   I didn't have anything before game that would make me think, oh this is the straw....

That's all I'm saying.

I think my opinion on bruce is known well enough.

Sorry man jus caught me off guard seeing talk about yesterday's game in this thread..not sure i recall seeing anyone saying anything about the game in this thread..nothing to see here..lol..not trying to be rude or anything

Last year at this time all the local reporters were talking about a big front office shakeup too.  It ended up being LaFemina and his marketing team being let go.

I'm not getting my hopes up that this is anything more than another attempt by Snyder to act like he's making changes, but really just re-arranging titles for the same group of guys who have been overseeing this teams decline for the last decade.

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This morning on the Junkies, Lurch said he has a source that told him major shake up coming January.  Who knows but they were talking about it because they are having LaCanfora on this morning at 8:00 to grill him on his story.  Meanwhile, they're talking about maybe something happening as early as this week.

It better. Somebody has got to be at the league meetings and it ain't gone be Dan be himself. If Bruce is there, I'll have a mind to key some cars in valet.

If Dan wants to blow up the FO, he can't afford to wait until January. Too many important decisions needed by the new FO that would require time to evaluate.

Of course, it's Dan we're talking about, so it makes perfect sense that he'd fire the HC in a hurry but drag his feet on revamping the FO.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Alex Smith going from rehab to GM instantly is not a splash move. If he hires Aikman he gets the news cycle for a while and constant national media attention for a season or more. That’s the kind of move he wants to put butts in seats and change the narrative.

Archived