• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      The home team fans are at home, these games no longer matter, and it’s probably better for the team to lose than it is to win.  It must be December in Washington.  Welcome to week 15!

Redskins Inactive: 
      Colt McCoy  
      Trey Quinn 
      Quinton Dunbar  
      Josh Harvey-Clemons  
      Ross Pierschbacher  
      Brandon Scherff  
      Caleb Wilson  

Eagles Inactive: 
      Nate Sudfeld  
      Nelson Agholor 
      Jordan Howard  
      Shareef Miller 
      Lane Johnson  
      Sua Opeta  
      Derek Barnet

There are two camps for Redskins fans at this time of year.  Those that want to tank and those that want to win.  If this describes you, I want you to know something important. You’re wrong.  You should probably feel bad about it too, but that’s your business.  The right way to go about this, is simply to embrace the double think.  
      Before and after the game it’s perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that losing has its advantages.  It does and it is undeniable.  Afterall we could be talking about the difference between Chase Young being in a Redskins uniform, or not.  What we need for that to happen is simple.  Redskins lose out.  Giants beat the Dolphins and Redskins.  Dolphins beat the Bengals.  All of these things are perfectly reasonable outcomes.  We’re that close to having an elite pass rusher.   

Before that happens, we have a game to play.  It is in this moment that we should embrace the other side of our demented double think.  While the game is being played, especially against a division opponent, fans should want their team to do well.  Assuming they have a soul and any decency.  There is just no way that I can root for the Eagles to beat the Redskins during a game.  If you are the type of fan that does this, I hope you find someone that can fix what has broken inside of you.   

Pregame Prediction:  Redskins 23 – Eagles 30  
      More interesting game we are missing because we are still watching the Redskins:  Packers – Bears  
      Things I am snacking on:  Brownie.   
      Number of colons used:  Six.  (so far)  

Check back for updates.  I’m going to wander around the room for a while and stretch my legs to get away from a certain well-known ESPN Eagle fan’s boring conversations that my ear phones aren’t blocking out entirely.

Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

If Bezos buys the team, you can certainly count on the 'Redskins' name disappearing.

He likes to run with the 'sensitive' crowd, and will immediately move to change the name, and that's not something I can support.

The only hope is the league disagrees with a name change but I seriously doubt that will happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

We gotta get Bezos to buy the team off Snyder.

It makes sense with him owning the Post and having Amazon HQ here in NoVa

I agree, but he will MOST DEFINITELY change the name at some point. 

• Confused 1

Just now, BleedBNG said:

I don’t care if the name changes if Bezos buys the team.  I’m definitely willing to make that sacrifice.  Either we get a new owner whose NOT Snyder and the name changes, or we keep the name and suffer with another 30-40 years of futility and embarrassment.  At this point it’s not a hard decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

I don’t care if the name changes if Bezos buys the team.  I’m definitely willing to make that sacrifice.  Either we get a new owner whose NOT Snyder and the name changes, or we keep the name and suffer with another 30-40 years of futility and embarrassment.  At this point it’s not a hard decision.

It's sad, but what can we do? Sacrifice the name for a winning team. This is what I have hated about Snyder thru these years...Oh yeah, it was fine for him growing up and experiencing a winning club thru the Cook years, but he has made it unbearable for the latest generation with his meddling buffoonery. His father would not only be very disappointed with what his son has done or not done with this franchise... he would also be disgusted. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

Why do you think that after the PC crowd was sent scurrying for cover after the Washington Post poll?

41 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Why do you think that after the PC crowd was sent scurrying for cover after the Washington Post poll?

I don't think he would care about any polls. I feel they'll come back in some way to try and persuade him to change it. Picket outside the Post or the Amazon HQ's or whatever. They'll chant that The Post and Amazon are racists blah, blah. It could be awhile, but he'll eventually give in. I feel the same even if he is successful in landing a spot in the District for a stadium. D.C. will come up with something that will make him change it... or else.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I don't think he would care about any polls. I feel they'll come back in some way to try and persuade him to change it. Picket outside the Post or the Amazon HQ's or whatever. They'll chant that The Post and Amazon are racists blah, blah. It could be awhile, but he'll eventually give in. I feel the same even if he is successful in landing a spot in the District for a stadium. D.C. will come up with something that will make him change it... or else.

Sorry I misread you,  I saw " it will" instead of "he will" (Yeah I can see him doing it so I'd be opposed to Bezos buying the team).

Edited by nonniey

6 hours ago, skins island connection said:

If Bezos buys the team, you can certainly count on the 'Redskins' name disappearing.

He likes to run with the 'sensitive' crowd, and will immediately move to change the name, and that's not something I can support.

The only hope is the league disagrees with a name change but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Depends on what kind of name they come along with.

If it starts with an "R" and doesn't change much of the team colors, come with a great logo, I might not be opposed to it.

Kurt says Hi There ! ;) Let's see if he can also raise his game when it will matter the most.

SMI576520.png

Preston Smith   #91 OLB

Sacks 10.0    FF 1   INT 1

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Just a few more factoids based on the season so far to back up Allen's "We're close" comment. 

Oh, and Old Man Callahan said the same thing on this week's Coaches Show. "We're close" he said. 

I think they're right based on these current stats at NFL.com:

1. Win/loss record - 31st out of 32 teams

2. Points scored: 32nd

3. Home Record: 32nd, tied with Bengals. One of only 2 teams who have yet to win a home game

4. Division and Conference record: 32nd in both categories, tied with Bengals in former

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

Kurt says Hi There ! ;) Let's see if he can also raise his game when it will matter the most.

SMI576520.png

Preston Smith   #91 OLB

Sacks 10.0    FF 1   INT 1

Doc and Galdi discussing this right now and makes a good point...

GB scores points and plays with a lead, forcing the opposing offenses hand into dropping back and becoming prey.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your “Washington Primes”

I ****s with it

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skins island connection said:

In a sense, aren't you also in the "sensitive" crowd when it comes to the actual change of the name? As in your sensitive to the point where you will be upset if the name is changed and it will affect your level of support?

Everybody is sensitive, we're just sensitive to different things and we endlesslessly have hypocritical, non-self-aware conversations where we berate each other for the things others are sensitive to, but we are not, and then go on the defensive to the things we are sensitive about, but others are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching Dallas and Philly battle with “mediocrity” this season challenge anyone’s thoughts on Skins being in similar position the last 4 seasons? 

Not attempting to be condescending. 

17 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

It makes sense with him owning the Post

Am I crazy to think that it doesn't make sense for a sports team to own the major outlet responsible for reporting on the sports team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Watching Dallas and Philly battle with “mediocrity” this season challenge anyone’s thoughts on Skins being in similar position the last 4 seasons? 

No, it still makes me wish that we had the problems they are having.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Mediocrity is their bottom but it's the Redskins Super Bowl.

Of course I doubt that the cowboys can win a SB with Garrett either but their ceiling is probably the NFCCG or possibly losing the SB while we will never win a playoff game.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Am I crazy to think that it doesn't make sense for a sports team to own the major outlet responsible for reporting on the sports team?

ESPN 980 = Redskins Radio they even use the logo in place of the 0. And let's not forget Snyder owned Red Zebra which until May 2018 owned WTEM and many smaller stations in the DMV. And of course, Larry Michael masquerades as a Sports Announcer/Anchor when in reality he is the team's PR flack.

19 hours ago, nonniey said:

Sorry I misread you to saw it will instead of he will (Yeah I can see him doing it so I'd be opposed to Bezos buying the team).

Yeah, I'm on the side that doesn't want him to buy it either. But I also want Snyder to leave SOOOOO BAAAAD.

Edited by BleedBNG
Name changes belong in the Tailgate

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is what well-run organizations do before their premium players hit FA.

He's making close to 14 mil a year. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

He's making close to 14 mil a year. 

Yes, $13.55mm for the best guard in the league.

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

In the last 5 seasons, Cowboys have had winning seasons in 4 out of the 5.  they had a season where they won 13 games and a season where they won 12 games.  (things this team have never done under Dan).

The Eagles in the last 5 years, won a SB and had a 13 win season.

If we won for example 13 games one season or a SB, I can't speak for everyone else but I wouldn't be crying over a 5-4 season.    Cowboys and Eagles I doubt are jealous of our 9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9, 7-9 run. 

And I don't mean it in a condescending way either.  I know you genuinely think in contrast to previous years the mediocre run might be undervalued.   I get the point but for me the mediocre run is marred with all the mishaps (or at least what i perceive to be mishaps) and the sleaze.  

But I don't think alas we can compare this situation with the Eagles-Cowboys.  They are  a clear peg above.  The Giants IMO is a more apples to apples analogy but only if we keep it recent as opposed to the full Dan tenure. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And I don't mean it in a condescending way either.  I know you genuinely think in contrast to previous years the mediocre run might be undervalued.   I get the point but for me the mediocre run is marred with all the mishaps (or at least what i perceive to be mishaps) and the sleaze.  

But I don't think alas we can compare this situation with the Eagles-Cowboys.  They are  a clear peg above.  The Giants IMO is a more apples to apples analogy but only if we keep it recent as opposed to the full Dan tenure. 

I wanted to quote this because it really does highlight many of my frustrations when it comes to engaging in debates on this board. Correct me if I’m wrong @wit33 but I don’t think the overarching point is that we are as good or have been as successful as the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants. It’s that being mediocre and stringing together 4 straight seasons of playing in December feels a hell of a lot better than being 1-8, and the tone and overall attitude toward the team from the media/fan base would normally reflect that. But for some reason SIP, you took this and ran with the comparison angle, as if that post was remotely suggesting we should all be celebrating being as good as the other teams in the division. The natural and accepted way on this board to frame anything that’s not somewhat negative toward the skins, is to portray it up as a homerific view and attack the argument as such. That runs rampant around these parts. 

• Like 1