Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You won't get an argument out of me that he's going to be much better than McCoy.

I just think it's a band aid fix, that will obviously make the team better in the short term than McCoy and a rookie.  A job saving move much more than a team saving move.

Actually I think there are some long term benefits such as the ability to groom a QB now behind a legit starter without the need to rush them in next year after our tagged QB walks, the ability to tell free agents at skill positions who is going to be under center, the ability to maintain the same system and continue developing what young talent we have and are going to draft, and all of this without having to change scheme, system, philosophy to adapt to the QB because he's not a fit for our system.  

I agree OVC, it's a band-aid but it's a band-aid that gives multiple benefits over the other band-aids that were available. Even if you discount all that though, I'd rather lose Fuller and a 3rd than lose all of our first and second round picks until 2025 moving up to nab Baker Mayfield. If nothing else, the trade for Smith stops the "brain(less) trust" in the FO from making a dumb move to trade up for a QB in the draft out of sheer panic.

Edited by UKskins

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm with ya, just stating that in large part age at the QB position is not as 'do not touch' as it used to be.  I don't think he's going to find some other gear, but he may not need to.  Look what he did in KC, 1 year he didnt throw a single TD to a WR and they won 9 games.  I'm not saying he's gonna come in here be an MVP, but the guy has been able to get some good offense out of minimal talent at times.  I just think he could come in here and help this offense, being a lot more effective than Colt McCoy. 

"could". however, this is the washington redskins. well get just enough early to think.....just maybe.....what if......then as per usual, epic failure.  

yes, when EVERY single thing went our way last year we looked good. any adversity and this team crumbles. we have a terrible owner, abhorrent management and a simpleton head coach. I've seen enough, clock mismanagement, straight quitting, 25 yard passes to the sideline for a 1 yard gain and "dag nabbit just run off tackle to the right" into a fully stacked and expecting defense to believe no matter who quarterbacks this team we are capped at 9-7. much less with alex smith. he simply won't have the fortitude to overcome the opposing team AND our inherent ineptitude.

its like bruce said to dan, "boss, we just need to get someone with a few more years experience being as medium as we are, THEN, together we shall become EXTRA medium bwahahahaaaa" dan: "i like it, there'll be a keg of the silver bullet delivered to your office, now go get some more of these super experienced EXTRA medium players for the defense....trade some young guys if you have to...they haven't even proven to be medium yet"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I agree OVC, it's a band-aid but it's a band-aid that gives multiple benefits over the other band-aids that were available. Even if you discount all that though, I'd rather lose Fuller and a 3rd than lose all of our first and second round picks until 2025 moving up to nab Baker Mayfield. If nothing else, the trade for Smith stops the "brain(less) trust" in the FO from making a dumb move to trade up for a QB in the draft out of sheer panic.

That's so cute that you think this stops them.  You seem to have a lot more confidence in them than I do.  :ols:

• Like 1

I've calmed down a little bit. Losing Fuller sucks but we can now draft more defensive players in the draft. Having Smith gives a legit chance to be good for the next few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

I've calmed down a little bit. Losing Fuller sucks but we can now draft more defensive players in the draft. Having Smith gives a legit chance to be good for the next few years.

Or we could have kept Fuller and still drafted more defensive players to be even better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Or we could have kept Fuller and still drafted more defensive players to be even better.

No we would have had to draft a QB in the first round. Kirk was never resigning. 

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

No we would have had to draft a QB in the first round. Kirk was never resigning. 

There is no rule saying you have to reach on QBs. That's how teams get in trouble.

Sometimes the best move is to not make a move at all.

Was there ever any closure to the Scot grievance hearing?  There was a lot of speculation that dirty laundry would be aired, however after the reports of the hearing starting, the entire thing seems to have died?

2 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Was there ever any closure to the Scot grievance hearing?  There was a lot of speculation that dirty laundry would be aired, however after the reports of the hearing starting, the entire thing seems to have died?

You won't hear anything about it because there'll be a gag order attached to it.

• Thanks 1

Twitter is the official Bruce Allen Com. Network

Edited by FrFan

17 hours ago, TK said:

You won't hear anything about it because there'll be a gag order attached to it.

That alone should tell you what you wanna know.  No way Scot agrees to that unless he got what he wanted.  

• Like 1

Made me think of watching the ceremony at Fedex when Bruce introduced Beathard to the Ring of Fame -- he had a smug look on his face like hey maybe that's me, Dan's got to put me in the Ring of Fame some day. :ols:   But yeah just looking at Bruce juxtaposed with Beathard in a ceremony then made me cringe.  Beathard aside being really good at his job, also a classy dude.

More

Anthony Brown Retweeted JP Finlay

Bobby Beathard makes the Hall of Fame. #HTTR Joe Jacoby, the anchor of the HOG line that Bobby built, did not. ??

Anthony Brown added,

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 2/2/2018 at 8:45 PM, ggarriso said:

On 2/2/2018 at 8:48 PM, TK said:

Well it looks like he's back to being employed, so even if there was no gag order there would be no need to speak on it at this point. Does his hiring back in the NFL give any indication of what happened while he was here or how the grievance played out?

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/960162200466833408

Chris MortensenVerified account @mortreport

Scot McCloughan has joined the Cleveland Browns as a personnel consultant for the 2018 NFL draft, as of Saturday, when he participated in full scouting sessions, according to sources. More coming.

With Scot going to the stacked Browns FO now, I'm so damned envious of them.  Cap space galore.  Draft capital galore.  I know they still have Hue as their HC but holy cow, they sure appear they are primed to make a big leap in the standings...  And then... there's us.  /sigh

https://twitter.com/thomloverro/status/960239048785825794

The Prince of Darkness is very secure in his throne. Was told recently by someone in stadium negotiations that Bruce Allen is still very important to that project #Redskins

Also, time to update those standings.

Jerry Jones (1989)   - 4 NFCCG Appearances, 3 Super Bowl Appearances, 3 Super Bowls

Jeff Lurie (1994)       - 6 NFCCG Appearances, 2 Super Bowl Appearances, 1 Super Bowl

John Mara (2005)     - 2 NFCCG Appearances, 2 Super Bowl Appearances, 2 Super Bowls

Dan Snyder (1999)    - 0 NFCCG Appearances, 0 Super Bowl Appearances, 0 Super Bowls

Is it any surprise that Snyder and Jones, two similar owners, have had the least amount of success the past 20 years relative to the rest of the division?

The most damning thing about the Eagles win today is how empty their roster was after Chip Kelly. The Eagles had absolute crap in terms of talent. It doesn't take twenty years to rebuild or ten or five. The Eagles did it in two freaking years.

Allen and Gruden need to take that to heart.