Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Let's be clear on this, too- even if Bruce is telling the truth (unlike at best), there is absolutely no way employed coaches are calling right now. That would be improper on every level and no one would risk there professional reputations being found out as seeking other jobs while in the middle of the season.

So no, whatever he wants to lead people to believe, there is literally zero chance Lincoln Riley or Eric Bienemy or David Shaw or Robert Saleh are expressing interest in the Redskins Head Coaching job.

If anyone is reaching out, it is the likes of Brian Billick and Hue Jackson. 

• Like 2

So we all agree Bruce Allen is awful.  The worst gm in the NFL, I think most across the league would agree.  But I'm curious if we are now starting to enter historically bad.  Matt millen esque.  Millens Lions teams were 31-81 (.277 winning percentage) while he was employed and was the GM at the start of Detroit's 0-16 season in 2008.

Allens 43-77 record is a little better, and I while Redskins fans vilify and mock him, I don't think he is getting nearly as much national criticism that Millen received. Millen was an absolute mockery.   Every nfl fan knew he was terrible.  And surprisingly, I dont think Allen has reached that level yet.   Amazing considering how foolish he is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/608836002

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

So we all agree Bruce Allen is awful.  The worst gm in the NFL, I think most across the league would agree.  But I'm curious if we are now starting to enter historically bad.  Matt millen esque.  Millens Lions teams were 31-81 (.277 winning percentage) while he was employed and was the GM at the start of Detroit's 0-16 season in 2008.

Allens 43-77 record is a little better, and I while Redskins fans vilify and mock him, I don't think he is getting nearly as much national criticism that Millen received. Millen was an absolute mockery.   Every nfl fan knew he was terrible.  And surprisingly, I dont think Allen has reached that level yet.   Amazing considering how foolish he is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/608836002

Millen had an easily recognizable and hypable signature power move though--he drafted a WR in the top 10 like three years in a row. He could never come back from that even if you took away everything else lol

• Like 1

On this night, a 19-9 Minnesota victory at U.S. Bank Stadium, the takeaway shouldn’t have been as basic as trying to declare a definitive winner and loser in the bygone saga. That will always be a nuanced debate. But considering what the Redskins have become and how they failed to sell high and maximize Cousins’s value when they had the chance, the debacle should have a different legacy: It represents the half-in, wishy-washy unsophisticated manner in which they evaluate talent.

They don’t know when to act. They never know when to act. Of course, hindsight makes that even clearer now, but it should’ve been clear then. The front office was uncertain about Cousins after his breakthrough 2015 season, which was understandable given his meteoric rise. So Washington put the franchise tag on him for 2016. All good. But it meant that after the 2016, the organization needed to make a clear decision: extension or trade when it’s highly possible that the return could have been multiple high draft picks. Instead, it became the first team to franchise quarterback twice.

You know the rest of the sad story — the bad luck with Alex Smith included — and we can revisit some of it in a minute. But it’s relevant now because Washington is still on the same indecisive, destructive path. The front office, led by Allen, learned nothing from the irresponsible way it handled the Cousins conundrum.

The Redskins are shuffling their feet and publicly refusing to consider trading disgruntled left tackle Trent Williams before next week’s trade deadline. The Williams situation is sensitive and complicated, but Allen’s pettiness makes it worse. There is also diminishing hope that they can come to terms with Pro Bowl guard Brandon Scherff on a contract extension. They’re all over the place on when to turn the offense over to rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, but that might have changed Thursday night because Case Keenum left at halftime concussion-like symptoms.

Talent evaluation isn’t just about picking new draft picks and signing free agents. It’s about understanding the talent and the value of your current players, internally and externally, and reacting in proactive fashion to those instincts. Washington stinks at it. If it weren’t also addicted to doing reprehensible things, we would pay more attention to this shortcoming.

At one time, Cousins was the biggest asset the franchise had. It had reservations about paying him top dollar. Okay, fine. Leverage his productivity to a franchise obsessed with his stats. But rather than maximizing his trade value, they waited too long and ultimately got a third-round compensatory pick for Cousins after letting him enter free agency. They did that because Allen went out and traded both draft capital and a good young corner in Kendall Fuller to Kansas City to get Smith. And Allen gave Smith $71 million guaranteed before he ever played a down here.

Yes, an unpredictable and tragic injury to Smith makes that entire deal and QB exchange look even worse. But even if Smith were healthy, the process to acquire him and essentially dump Cousins was still a net loss, in terms of assets. It’s one of the most preposterous misuses of resources in recent NFL memory. It’s impossible to get ahead playing the game this way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-kirk-cousins-bowl-really-was-a-matchup-of-one-team-with-title-hopes-and-the-redskins/2019/10/24/6d56ea00-f688-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

I am not going to quote Skinsinparadise's post, but they also don't mention the lackadaisical approach they had with Gruden after last year at the end of the season.  It felt like Gruden's time was done, and it felt that way all year.   I think that article hits the nail on the head.  

Dan Snyder is now 140-187-1 as an owner.

The Redskins are 4 games over .500 historically now which means they'll likely go under .500 this year.

When he bought the team they were 51 over and after 1999, which his incompetence had no effect on, they were 55 over.

2000-2001 were 8-8 seasons so since Spurrier was hired Dan's Snyderskins are 51 games under .500.

Bumbling Bruce Allen can take credit for 34 of those 51 in 8 seasons. 34 is 2/3rds of 51.

But it's always the coaches. 💩

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, charles mannley said:

I am not going to quote Skinsinparadise's post, but they also don't mention the lackadaisical approach they had with Gruden after last year at the end of the season.  It felt like Gruden's time was done, and it felt that way all year.   I think that article hits the nail on the head.  

True, and I’d add that any coach’s time would be done after such gross resource mismanagement. No one wins with that for any sustained amount of time or even gets hot and wins a championship.

No one.

Give me one example and I’ll be stunned. Give me more than one and I’ll shut up for good. 

Let me see a single example of one team spending that much on the QB position within a 5 year span ($115 million guaranteed from 2016-2020, a 3rd round pick and Kendall Fuller), losing the more productive one in the process to only get back a 3rd round comp pick, and then getting next to nothing (or actually NOTHING) out of your other most expensive assets (Alex, Trent, Jordan, Norman, Richardson). Kerrigan could be added to that, as well, but it’s debatable. Scherff is probably the only guy producing for what he’s paid. 

It’s friggin maddening. We’re asking these guys to coach with one hand tied behind their back relative to what the rest of the league’s teams have with their top assets.

Anyone want to have a fun time? Look at the salary cap table of the last (how ever many you want) Super Bowl Champs. Look at what they were getting out of their most expensive assets. Look at how little was wasted. Yes, even the Eagles, who some like to point to as an example of winning through major injuries (and even if they were right it’d be lame because you don’t point at the exception versus the rule)... they still had the vast majority of their top ten most expensive assets producing at an extremely high rate. 

Here, I’ll make it easy:

2018 Patriots Cap Table

2017 Eagles Cap Table

2016 Patriots Cap Table

2015 Broncos Cap Table

2014 Patriots Cap Table

2013 Seahawks Cap Table

2012 Ravens Cap Table

Look at the beautiful efficiency that is the roster construction of all the above. Look at their top assets and how much they were producing for

them. Look at how little was wasted. Now compare it to us right now (or any time under Bruce Allen for that matter):

2019 Redskins Cap Table

Just for kicks, let’s compare it to the year we last made the playoffs in 2015: 

2015 Redskins Salary Cap Table

It still wasn’t very good in terms of injuries and dead cap, but at least most of our top guys were productive players in Garçon, Djax, Trent, and Kerrigan. That’s as close as we came to having decent roster construction and the results were consistent with that on the field. 

Bruce sucks at the most important aspect of winning at the pro level; resource management. He’s horrific at it. He, and the fool who continues to employ him as his top exec, have singlehandedly destroyed any chance we have. 

But let’s all just hope the perfect coach with a magical scheme and wonderful discipline comes in and saves the day. Mmmhhmmm. Because that happens in the NFL. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29cb8e99396301f5acab

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

So long as Danny own's this team, this team will never win! The sooner we come to grips with that, the sooner we can stop getting worked up over our losing way's, as it should be expected!!! Still thinking there is a hot shot up and coming coach out there just waiting for his chance??? Think again!!! Any truly gifted football man will have nothing to do with Danny, they have no interest in coaching a team with a medalsome midget with the football IQ of a cheerleader telling them what to do! Danny sent the football world notice to his medalsome I'm the boss and i will do what I want way's when he fired Marty after 1 season, a season that should be viewed as a phenomenal achievement in Redskins history considering the circumstances!!! But instead of a medal and a contract extension; Marty was fired! Why? Because Marty wouldn't let Danny boy play fantasy football with a real NFL team! 

No matter how brutal Danny is at talent evaluation, coaching hires etc. no matter how many times he fails and has to start over, he will always believe that the "NEXT" time will be the time he finally figures it out!!! 

The only questions left are; how much will we devalue Trent's value before we finally trade him (see Kirk Cousins)? What is the over under on how many coaches will be fired attempting to develop Haskins? And will we spend more or less time attempting to develop Haskins,,, as we did J. Campbell??  I "DONE" don't know!!! 

Edited by THE HAMMER'IN HOG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Millen had an easily recognizable and hypable signature power move though--he drafted a WR in the top 10 like three years in a row. He could never come back from that even if you took away everything else lol

True.  I wish Bruce's ridiculous quotes got more national publicity.  "Winning off the field". "we're close". Etc. And like the Lions saw when they went on the road with the " keep Millen signs", I would love to see Allen mocked like that.  Just having everybody realize Allen is terrible is not enough.  It needs to be overwhelmingly embarrassing on a national level, then maybe Danny boy will make a move.

• Like 3

Until Daniel Synder wakes up from the dark sith Spruce Alghin the GM (gross manure) who uses the dark force to impose ideas into Synder’s obvious weak mind so he can run Synder as a marionette puppet master as he imposes his own control over him and our franchise, every person who calls in on any Redskins radio program or any sports program discussing the Redskins, should state the demand to fire Spruce Alighin (I refuse to give him the dignity of using his birth name) because of the looser culture he has fostered since his hire.

The noise of out cry needs to drowned out all other conversations.

Come on all you Skins fans,  stand up and be fight for our team!

Lets get “Fire Spruce” chants going at games so the national media can hear it.

if you truly love our Burgundy and Gold Redskins, and honor our mascot warrior, and all our rich tradition,  you will stand up and fight!!!

Hail to my beloved Redskins!!!

Does anybody have contacts or friends who could put up on a bill board in DC “Fire Spruce Alghin”

Can we get people on the entrance ramps to the stadium with huge signs stating, During the game CHANT “FIRE Spruce.”

Fire Spruce, Fire Bruce, Fire Spruce!!!

!

Does anybody have the time to protest at team head quarters and practice facilities with signs that say “Fire our Looser GM Spruce Alghin”

”Fire Spruce, Fire Bruce, Fire Spruce”!!

Until Spruce is fired, when you go to the games, do your best not to buy and souvenirs, food, or drinks other than water.

eat good before you go.  Eat in you car before going in to the stadium.

Do every thing you can to not spend money while there.  

We must make Synder feel our pain by causing him pain if we are to get him to over come Spruce Alghin’s Sith Lord dark power.

Edited by thesubmittedone
Rule 3, spamming. I merged them all.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, THE#1SkinFAN said:

Does anybody have contacts or friends who could put up on a bill board in DC “Fire Spruce Alghin”

2 hours ago, THE#1SkinFAN said:

Can we get people on the entrance ramps to the stadium with huge signs stating, During the game CHANT “FIRE Spruce.”

Fire Spruce, Fire Bruce, Fire Spruce!!!

!

Does anybody have the time to protest at team head quarters and practice facilities with signs that say “Fire our Looser GM Spruce Alghin”

”Fire Spruce, Fire Bruce, Fire Spruce”!!

Until Spruce is fired, when you go to the games, do your best not to buy and souvenirs, food, or drinks other than water.

eat good before you go.  Eat in you car before going in to the stadium.

Do every thing you can to not spend money while there.  

We must make Synder feel our pain by causing him pain if we are to get him to over come Spruce Alghin’s Sith Lord dark power.

Look, I know you signed up a couple years ago and that you haven’t really posted up until now, but you’ve already committed multiple rule violations by posting in the wrong forum (rule 4) and creating a topic that already exists (rule 7). I asked you to read the rules in the warning I gave you last night, and now here you are violating rule 3: 

3. Spam is strictly prohibited.
The following are some examples of what ES considers spam:

• Very short posts that do not add value to the topic.
    Example: posts with only the words, "I dunno," or "lol cool," or "in before close" or a quote of a post with only "smileys" added, or simply the word "this" and an upward arrow or "x2" added. If that is the only contribution you have to make to the discussion, this is not the place for you.
  •  
  • Double Posting.
    A double post constitutes back-to-back posts by the same member. The second post may be considered spam. If you make an error while submitting a post, or realize you would like to elaborate further, please use the "edit" button/function (located at the lower right of each post) to modify the original rather than create an additional post. An exception to the rule applies when a member wants to address the content of separate individual posts from different members. For example, the first point addresses the content of member A's post; the subsequent post addresses the content of member B's post.
  •  
  • Posts that serve no apparent purpose other than to increase one's post count.
    For example, if someone asks a question and you reply just to say you don't know the answer, or create "test" threads or posts, this will be considered spam. If you want to test your signature picture/text, you can do that in any thread where you have already posted. Every time you edit and save a change in your Profile, simply hit your browser’s "refresh" button in a thread in which you have posted. Your account will have been updated across every post you have ever written.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate and unacceptable on any of our forums.

Work with me here, brother. Posting will be restricted for a couple days, please read the rules you agreed to abide by when you signed up here. I’ve merged those posts for you together. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

I was about to ask if anyone thought the "Spruce Allghin" iine was funny or interesting. Apart from the guy who came up with it and was repeatedly referencing himself about it, that is.

49 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I was about to ask if anyone thought the "Spruce Allghin" iine was funny or interesting. Apart from the guy who came up with it and was repeatedly referencing himself about it, that is.

Odd, obsessive, slightly disturbing...  yes.   Funny or interesting?  Nope.

• Like 1

The idea that this is the worst organization in sports has really gone viral.  In recent years, it's been "one of the worst" in the NFL.  Now it's the worst in the NFL and in sports -- that's becoming a common refrain with national commentators.   

I bet Bruce and Dan are drinking tonight again telling each other how close they are and hey we are even coming close to winning real games.

If Trent shows up week 10, they need to fail his physical for his head surgery as a non football injury and place him on the NFI list. 

He then won’t get a year accrued on his deal and his contract will toll. He’s not being smart coming in right before the deadline.  That’s how you screw him and gain leverage in a trade. Would be a total Bruce move.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

If Trent shows up week 10, they need to fail his physical for his head surgery as a non football injury and place him on the NFI list. 

He then won’t get a year accrued on his deal and his contract will toll. He’s not being smart coming in right before the deadline.  That’s how you screw him and gain leverage in a trade. Would be a total Bruce move.

You want them to do something which would make every player in the NFL thinking they are snakes who are willing to use any dirty trick possible to screw their own, making this place even less attractive to Free Agents? With a ploy that would certainly be overturned as a grievance, thus resulting in no positive result at all?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

I’m just saying that seems like a Bruce/Dan move...

I understand you threw that in at the end of your post, after professing the rest of it was what they "need to" do. So, if your point was "here's something that would be totally stupid to do", you were, at best, confusingly unclear about that.

It increases the redskins leverage. They should exhaust the possibility.  Plus it’s a total Dan/Bruce move...

Edited by SoCalSkins

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

It increases the redskins leverage. They should exhaust the possibility.  Plus it’s a total Dan/Bruce move...

So, you said this is something they "need to do". You posted this same idea in another thread that they "should" do it. And here, again, you say they "should" do it. But you try to hedge it by saying it would be a "Dan/Bruce" type of move and when challenged on how bad the idea is, you claim that all it is is an example of something they would do, while still going back to saying it's something they should do.

So, to be clear, you're just posting a really, really dumb idea while trying to shield yourself from any accountability for how bad it is.

source.gif

• Like 1