Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Fire Bruce Allen isn’t enough. 

I wish people would just go straight to the point and instead start calling for Snyder to sell the team. 

The fans hate him and it’s obvious he has no love for the fan base. How long can an owner stay silent if the entire fan base has only one demand: for you to gtfo?

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Fire Bruce Allen isn’t enough. 

I wish people would just go straight to the point and instead start calling for Snyder to sell the team. 

The fans hate him and it’s obvious he has no love for the fan base. How long can an owner stay silent if the entire fan base has only one demand: for you to gtfo?

forever.  Hell, he could move the team and the place he moved it to would love him for it

We’ve dissected the Redskins firing Jay Gruden a couple of different ways today—Alaa Abdeldaiem covered the initial news break, Conor Orr weighed in and so did I. But one important thing that relates to the impending head coaching search is the disconnect that exists in the building between personnel and coaching. 

Everyone made a big deal of who wanted (or didn’t want) Dwayne Haskins last April, but it’s far from the only example that’s driven Washington coaches crazy. Another was the case of linebacker Zach Brown. Following the 2017 season, the coaches made clear they didn’t want him back. So what did the Redskins do? They signed him, of course, to a three-year, $24 million deal, and a year later, he was cut. Washington is carrying $3 million in dead money on their cap this year as a result. This is not how good organizations operate.

• Redskins president Bruce Allen said at his presser that he hasn’t had any dialogue with other teams on disgruntled left tackle Trent Williams, and that Williams isn’t available for trade. That matches what he’s told other teams who have inquired—he has taken the calls but politely declined to engage in trade discussion. The issue between Williams and the team remains of the Redskins’ handling of multiple medical situations, and to this point seems to be well beyond the point of no return.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

From a certain perspective, we just lost to the Dolphins twice this year. One in terms of the race to the top draft pick and again for the trading of draft assets (their trade of an average LT for a king's ransom and our failure to do anything)

The Dolphins stripped their team of talent, loaded up on a zillion draft picks to rebuild and still could go toe to toe with our roster.

On Sunday, the retired banking executive forked over $1,600 to have an advertising firm fly a banner over Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium for two hours before the Dolphins hosted the Redskins in a battle of winless teams. “Help Skins Fans Fire Bruce Allen!” the banner read, a direct shot at Washington’s team president, who has presided over two playoff appearances and zero postseason wins during his 10-year tenure.

“Under Bruce Allen, it’s just been horrible,” Coltman, who has followed the Redskins since 1956, said in a telephone interview after watching Washington improve to 1-5 from the Hard Rock Stadium stands. “It seems to me it’s a total lack of understanding of how to manage something. You can’t allow internal competition and internal politics to interfere with the objective. … That’s what Bruce Allen has done historically, and he’s going to keep doing it unless we change it.”

After the Redskins fired Coach Jay Gruden on Monday and Allen told reporters that the culture of the organization was “actually damn good,” Coltman and his son, a fellow Redskins diehard, began brainstorming ways to make a statement.

“I decided that I at least ought to express that this was not a Jay Gruden issue,” Coltman said. “It was a management issue, a process issue, and we gotta change it.”

Coltman joked with the advertising firm he contacted about the banner that he originally wanted to fly, which would have carried a different message: “Dan, what does Bruce have on you?” The actual message flew above the stadium from 10 a.m. to noon. It’s unclear if Allen or Snyder noticed it, but fans on social media and in the stands sure did. Many told Coltman he was a hero and offered to buy him beers.

Man I wish we could be the Cleveland Browns right now, they are in such an enviable position at 2-4 with all their new toys to show for it after years of “tanking.”

Ship off Trent, that’s absurdity because he clearly is so adamant about not being here that he’s willing to forfeit millions. After that complaint, let’s lay off all of this talk the Dolphins are somehow a shrewd organization for trading known stud quantities under 25 like Minkah Fitzpatrick to “load up on draft picks.” All of those draft picks are going to walk into a building that basically public ally admitted they were OK with losing. That’s a loser mentality, and it’s not going to disappear with a few first rounders. Look at the Browns, a whopping 1 game ahead of this piss poor excuse of a football team this year. 

45 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Man I wish we could be the Cleveland Browns right now, they are in such an enviable position at 2-4 with all their new toys to show for it after years of “tanking.”

Ship off Trent, that’s absurdity because he clearly is so adamant about not being here that he’s willing to forfeit millions. After that complaint, let’s lay off all of this talk the Dolphins are somehow a shrewd organization for trading known stud quantities under 25 like Minkah Fitzpatrick to “load up on draft picks.” All of those draft picks are going to walk into a building that basically public ally admitted they were OK with losing. That’s a loser mentality, and it’s not going to disappear with a few first rounders. Look at the Browns, a whopping 1 game ahead of this piss poor excuse of a football team this year. 

I must have missed all this the ‘the Dolphins are a shrewd organization’ talk.  The Dolphins are actually probably the closest comparison to this organization.  Rich history with a once large fanbase spanning across the country, that have been checking out in droves.  Poor management, no culture.  They’ve tried to be splashy and failed.  

At this point, they are just trying something different by embracing the suck.  Is it guaranteed to work?  Certainly not.  But it says that they’ve atleast acknowledged the error in their ways for how to build a winning team and are willing to completely reboot in an effort to change that.  If ownership, the GM and the coach aren’t all on the same page, it can easily backfire.  

As for the Browns, the book is not written on them yet.  Mayfield is in his 2nd year and they still have work to do protecting him.  The Kitchens hire may be an issue as well, perhaps in over his head.  Similar to the Dolphins, I don’t follow them intricately enough to understand the dynamics of how ownership, the GM and the coach all came about and work together. 

What I do know is both organizations are at least trying and don’t appear to be so damn arrogant that they actually believe their **** doesn’t stink.  I know that their GM’s aren’t so incredibly unlikable and embarrassing that when they speak it makes prime time news across the globe.

Archived