Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, ThePackisback said:

I think coaching and The GM is the problem? Am I right?

Primary problems are poor ownership and a lousy organizational culture.  That’s why fans shouldn’t be excited about changing coaches and/or team President. Snyder has to be willing to act differently and stop repeating mistakes (forcing RG3 in 2012, forcing Haskins in 2019).  At this point doesn’t seem possible. 

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

Primary problems are poor ownership and a lousy organizational culture.  That’s why fans shouldn’t be excited about changing coaches and/or team President. Snyder has to be willing to act differently and stop repeating mistakes (forcing RG3 in 2012, forcing Haskins in 2019).  At this point doesn’t seem possible. 

He should ask Robert Kraft for some advice... Guy has been a Pats' fan all his life, bought the Pats where they were rock bottom and dead last in revenues in 94. Now they're on top of it. They are winning ON and OFF the field.

5 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

I think coaching and The GM is the problem? Am I right?

Keep going up - It all starts at the top. The real problem is Dan Snyder. He hires yes men that install the culture he wants - a fractured and very uncomfortable organizational structure and culture. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

He should ask Robert Kraft for some advice... Guy has been a Pats' fan all his life, bought the Pats where they were rock bottom and dead last in revenues in 94. Now they're on top of it. They are winning ON and OFF the field.

Sorry, even with Kraft’s guidance and insights - no happy endings with Snyder...

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Simple, get a GM and let the GM pick the HC. And above all... stay out of it unless you want to repeat another 20 years. It worked for JKC.

5 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

At this point doesn’t seem possible. 

Anything is possible! (Unless you are dealing with idiots)

So yeah we're pretty much ****ed that's why it's more fun to just enjoy what you got, which is a never-ending **** show.

If you buy what some have said that talk to some in the FO -- the problem is Dan still thinks he's smarter than everyone else.  I bet Dan just thinks Kraft got lucky.  If these guys are correct, Dan hasn't hit rock bottom yet -- not even close.

The reason why I think removing Bruce might help on that front is the impression I get from multiple people who cover the team is that he's the ultimate enabler.  Sounds like they are BFFs, drink with each other almost every night and tell each other how great they are and how misunderstood and unlucky they've been. 

giphy.gif

It's remarkable to know things are actually going to get worse than this.

Here's the hilarious part. Losing to lowly Miami is going to be no where close to rock bottom. Ironically, its the best thing that could happen to us.  Bruce cannot even screw up correctly at this point.

He is a new low for our organization, that's for damn sure. Trent is so smart to stay around from the fire right now, as our injuries continue on top of it all.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

It's remarkable to know things are actually going to get worse than this.

Here's the hilarious part. Losing to lowly Miami is going to be no where close to rock bottom. Ironically, its the best thing that could happen to us.  Bruce cannot even screw up correctly at this point.

He is a new low for our organization, that's for damn sure. Trent is so smart to stay around from the fire right now, as our injuries continue on top of it all.

The end of the year will be the all-time low IF......

Bruce is still on board at the end of the season

Trent is not traded and continues to decide not play for the Skins

Scherff walks in free agency

Kyle Smith walks

Kevin O'Connell becomes rookie HC and Bruce still has full control

Enter the off season needing CB and every position on the offensive side of the ball...and having the perk of no decent free agent wanting to play in DC

Plus no prospect of a new stadium

That to me is rock bottom and it is a horrible reality

5 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

The end of the year will be the all-time low IF......

Bruce is still on board at the end of the season

Trent is not traded and continues to decide not play for the Skins

Scherff walks in free agency

Kyle Smith walks

Kevin O'Connell becomes rookie HC and Bruce still has full control

Enter the off season needing CB and every position on the offensive side of the ball...and having the perk of no decent free agent wanting to play in DC

Plus no prospect of a new stadium

That to me is rock bottom and it is a horrible reality

I get the point of the rest of the list, agree with most but a few not as concerned about, but in reality you could have stopped at #1 - if Bruce is not removed at the end of the year, then most of those other things will probably happen and worse. 

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I get the point of the rest of the list, agree with most but a few not as concerned about, but in reality you could have stopped at #1 - if Bruce is not removed at the end of the year, then most of those other things will probably happen and worse. 

I agree here. If Bruce is still on charge, then it'll be worse.

Obviously we (The FO) haven't learn from Kirk Coursins and are about to double this with Scherff. Word is we lowballed him, then you have reports of 13M/year. Which is hardly lowball. Letting us now that something might cooking inside. Trent is on the same subject as well, as it's definatly not about money.

But FO is still going this road because Dan & Bruce think they're close and smarter than everyone. At which point we can end up with #1 and draft Tua, we'll have noone to protect him and he'll get Patrick Ramsey'd quick.

At least in the Vinny Cerrato players did seem to care and/or get paid, now we seems to head into a situation where coaches and players simply don't want to come here, or on short contract to show their skills then head elsewhere...

Fans are already heading elsewhere as well...

Tomlin, you cool with Bruce?  you got me at hello

Snyder, who has long been a fan of Tomlin, has gotten to know the Super Bowl-winning coach more personally over the years, at league meetings and through several mutual friends and peers, and would be willing to give Tomlin a top-of-the-market salary and full authority over the organization, the sources said. He views Tomlin as the kind of coach, leader and face-of-the-franchise Washington sorely lacks -- the perfect point person with the media and sponsors and to help efforts to get a stadium built in downtown Washington, DC.

Tomlin has an excellent coaching record, is a member of the prestigious Competition Committee, is one of the game's great orators and already has relationships with key members of the organization like team president Bruce Allen and general manager Doug Williams from their time in Tampa. Snyder believes Tomlin could help restore faith in the fans and kick-start the team's sagging business operations as well.

Snyder fired coach Jay Gruden last week in his sixth season on the job, and would be prepared to part with draft picks to secure Tomlin, who signed a one-year extension with the Steelers before the season. Three times before has Snyder made the head coach also the head of football operations -- with Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan -- and Tomlin, a Virginia native, would have the opportunity in Washington to not just to put a coaching staff together, but also reshape the franchise however he sees fit in ways that just would not be feasible in Pittsburgh, where both the coach and general manager report directly to the owner.

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Goooood ole Tampa connection still burning strong

Yep, article said the Steelers might be interested because they don't have many draft picks in this draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dan-snyder-expected-to-make-strong-push-to-acquire-mike-tomlin-from-steelers/

Snyder also would have interest in Tampa defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, sources said, if securing Tomlin is not possible. He met personally with Bowles last season for a potential defensive coordinator job after he was fired as head coach of the Jets. Gibbs, who is still close with the owner, has urged him to hire Bowles, a former standout defensive back in Washington, as well.  Snyder also has maintained ties with Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was a defensive coordinator in Washington and has been a head coach with Buffalo and Cleveland (as a successful interim last year).

Current Raiders coach Jon Gruden was the last coach to be traded, though the Browns and 49ers did discuss a trade for Jim Harbaugh earlier this decade but could not agree on compensation.

From a purely football standpoint, I wouldn't mind Tomlin.  It'd be a welcome departure from getting a next in line offensive coordinator because of what he can do for your current QB.  Considering we'd have to guarantee him 5+ years to probably get him to take us seriously, chances are, he'll get his opportunity to influence the next QB should Haskins not work out.  

But to trade draft picks to once again relive the non glory days of Tampa, I think I'd pass.  Especially if the chain of command remains as is, with everyone on the football side reporting to Bruce.  Only way this has a chance to be successful, is if Tomlin has a GM, and they both report directly to Snyder.  

Archived