Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

17 hours ago, Burgold said:

Jay would not be a good coach in a different situation. We've never really seen even a glimpse of that. Even when he was accumulating stats with Garcon and Jackson he couldn't score. I know it's fun to bash Snyder, but Jay deserves no get out of jail free card.

Agreed completely, and this is what I dont get about people saying hes be good in a different situation: Hes shown almost zero promise in 6 years of actually coaching games.  

I get saying its hard for anyone to be successful in this organization, but my background was IT, and Im really good at "troubleshooting", AKA, the art of figuring out where the problem is.  The #1 rule of troubleshooting is to isolate certain systems, see what things THEY can control and that will tell you if they are functioning correctly, or if its just something else is broken.  You always have to keep in mind multiple things may be broken.  Jay Gruden cant control who his players are.  We get that.  But he can control how prepared they are on Sunday, and perhaps MORE tellingly, the ONE place Bruce Allen can have no influence over is gameday.  Bruce isnt calling down to the field and making playcalls, gameday is all for Jay.  And Jay is one of the worst gameday coaches in the NFL, calling terrible plays, incapable of adjusting, making boneheaded decisions game in and game out.  Thats all 100% on him.

13 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Agreed completely, and this is what I dont get about people saying hes be good in a different situation: Hes shown almost zero promise in 6 years of actually coaching games.  

And Jay is one of the worst gameday coaches in the NFL, calling terrible plays, incapable of adjusting, making boneheaded decisions game in and game out.  Thats all 100% on him.

We don’t want this type of inspirational leadership???

GIF image.gif

I’m not naive to think all will be well, it hasn’t been for awhile.  My point is too many excuse Jay for his performance but he hasn’t really show an ability to transform or change his way of coaching. And Rapoport now reporting that Colt might start this week. I’d post the link but I need to learn how to do that first. 

GIF image.gif

1 minute ago, carex said:

so how would you all react if Allen ends up promoting someone to GM, but keeps the team president role

Again, just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Bruce needs not have any say over anything related to the football team.  Nor can he be seen as a guy that is going to change or instill culture within the organization.  So what would be the point of that, outside of allowing Dan to keep his buddy around?

that's very interesting, cause in Star Wars Vader wasn't that to the Emperor.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Again, just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Bruce needs not have any say over anything related to the football team.  Nor can he be seen as a guy that is going to change or instill culture within the organization.  So what would be the point of that, outside of allowing Dan to keep his buddy around?

stadium negotiations?  whatever the hell team presidents normally do for teams

7 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

And Rapoport now reporting that Colt might start this week. I’d post the link but I need to learn how to do that first. 

This isn't shocking. Throwing Haskins in against New England would be a monumental mistake. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haskins inactive this week and then the starter next week. I also wouldn't be surprised by Haskins inactive for 10 weeks in a row. Nothing surprises me anymore.

5 minutes ago, carex said:

stadium negotiations?  whatever the hell team presidents normally do for teams

Dan can make up some title dedicated specifically to the stadium with no line of reporting that attaches Allen to anything related to football operations.  Bruce clearly has an itch that he can't scratch in regards to being a 'football guy' so I wouldn't even trust that to work, but it'd be better than nothing.  

I was thinking last night how Allen keeps his job.  Honestly, it is insane.  Batsh*** crazy, insane.  Tampa was good before he helped run them into the ground.  His record here is under .400.  No one seems to like, or wants to work with the guy but he gets kept around for what?  A stadium that they will fill 50% full in 2027 or some idiotic reasoning.  What politicians does he know?  What does that even matter?  Having a stellar football team nets you a new stadium because people will have a demand for you, not some daddy's kid who (from what I can tell) has accomplished nothing. 

It was what Kevin Smith said about Hollywood.  "You just kind of fail upwards"  when he spoke of Jon Peters.  I highly recommend looking that up for a good laugh.  I honestly don't understand a single thing he does well.  Most of this roster is his and Dan's guys I presume.  A good GM and scout team get players that fit in well with their coaches schemes and they work in tandem well with their coaches.  Not some dude who gives a politicians thumbs up when a random he drafted gains a yard or makes a tackle.  

That Chad Dukes rant from 10 years ago is accurate. but it was 10 years ago and it is the same thing today.  I don't know what fixes this insanity of keeping this dude around for unknown reasons.  There are literally none, a stadium makes zero sense and if that is what Snyder is thinking he should seek mental health help immediately.  I am not joking, this is at a point of insanity.  There is something mentally wrong with Snyder beyond his narcissism and Napoleon complex.  He should listen to those inner voices and sell the team.   

Great job Allen, you have a garbage O-line, sh** WR's outside of the rookie who will somehow get ruined here, wretched LB's, sh** secondary, nothing to speak of at QB (Haskins undecided obviously)  No depth at all and it's been like this for quite a while.  The players we have that are good just get bogged down by the sh**show here and look bad when they really aren't.  But yeah, we're so close!  

This is all ego pure and simple from the owner/GM.  Great way to run things.  

Hopefully KOC is doing his top secret genius nerdly duties and compiling a simplified playbook catered to Haskins for when he gets the call.

That way when Jay gets **** canned, he can hit the ground running.

Including implementing simplified terminology.

It's too bad Bruce is not smart enough to:

Fire Jay and Manusky immediately. Ditch Tomsula too since he loves Manusky. 

Promote Ryan. Tell him to mirror the scheme and plays used by Chicago, or "I will fire your ass."

Promote KOC to interim head coach and give him full control of play calling, implementing THE Haskins playbook he is compiling.

Our offense exceeded expectations BY FAR before Case cracked under pressure. Our defense is healthy, and is so ready to be unleashed. Defense wins games, folks.  You know you hate it you want offensive aerial shows but just look at the Bears win yesterday as proof.  Terrorizing QBs is the key to defense.

The Craig Hoffman piece today is excellent, making sure that the main area of blame for this franchise's predicament lies squarely on Bruce and Dan. This quote especially helps show just how despicable these clowns are and how little character they have as human beings. These are not leaders. They aren't even men as far as I'm concerned. 

To make it worse, they do this while taking no accountability, in terms of public interviews, all while their coach gets hammered from every corner of media and social media for something he can't really explain without throwing the future of the franchise quarterback or his bosses under the bus. This is not surprising. This is how Allen and Snyder have operated for most of the near decade that Allen has been in charge of the team. This is my fifth season covering the team. I have been to zero Bruce Allen press conferences where he fields questions from the press pool in Ashburn. It is not because I have missed any. It is because there haven't been any. He is the organization's primary decision maker.

Most organizations do not do this and especially not the good ones.

Nothing all but the willfully blind don't already know, but still a good read. What a **** show. 

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-at-a-crossroads-leadership-nowhere-to-be-found

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I get saying its hard for anyone to be successful in this organization, but my background was IT, and Im really good at "troubleshooting", AKA, the art of figuring out where the problem is.  The #1 rule of troubleshooting is to isolate certain systems, see what things THEY can control and that will tell you if they are functioning correctly, or if its just something else is broken.  You always have to keep in mind multiple things may be broken.  

If you had to quantify the problem with this team's recent history -- how would you quantify blame -- percentage wise to Dan, Bruce, Jay?    I get there can be multiple problems at the same time.  But from my own experience its pretty rare that multiple problems are evenly distributed.  So am curious how you would distribute it -- ball park in percentage terms?

From Craig Hoffman piece 

"He [Bruce] has continued to freelance and in turn has a 60-88-1 record (.402 winning percentage) to show for it. There have been few executives in sports history who have had as poor of a record and as long as a tenure, which is why some of this ire has to go towards Snyder."

"Instead, the status quo continues. The status quo of the Allen/Snyder era is losing. It is losing games. It is losing fans. It is losing employees. It is losing respect around the league. It is losing hope.

We often use the phrase "once-proud franchise" to describe the Redskins. The problem seems to be the men in charge are still proud of what they are, despite what they are: a losing franchise with no clear direction for the future."

How can this be so obvious to so many but not to Snyder?  It is now transitioning from thinking that Snyder is a buffoon to thinking he just doesn't care.  Winning clearly isn't his motivation.

30 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

From piec Craig Hoffman

How can this be so obvious to so many but not to Snyder?  It is now transitioning from thinking that Snyder is a buffoon to thinking he just doesn't care.  Winning clearly isn't his motivation.

Been listening to a lot this morning on that front from people who claim to know people in that FO, what they are saying doubles down on what others have been saying including this season.  That seems to be that Dan and Bruce are in this ivory tower and think everything is fine.  They realize the season is going poorly but don't think things are that bad with the fans.  They don't think anything has changed from the past where they can get easily corral the fans after they fire a coach, make a big signing, etc. 

Keim once said in the last off season, he's talked to multiple people in that FO and more or less the takeaway is Bruce gets that's he's disliked but he's confused as to why because he doesn't see any reason for it.    

Paulsen was just talking about it saying Dan-Bruce probably think they just need to fire Jay at the end of the season and that's all it will take to sell hope for 2020. 

It doesn't really paint a picture that Dan gets it but just blows off what is so obvious to everyone else.  It's painted worse than that -- like he actually doesn't get it or at least he doesn't get its a big problem just yet.

Part of the reason why I am so focused on Bruce is there is plenty of indication that he helps feed this delusion in a big way with Dan. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Paulsen was just talking about it saying Dan-Bruce probably think they just need to fire Jay at the end of the season and that's all it will take to sell hope for 2020. 

It will though - not with everyone, but there is still a pocket of folks left that will continue to fall for this dog and pony show again.  When fans want blood and you give them blood, they'll find reasons to buy back in.  It will be short lived obviously, but they will buy back in.

Archived