Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

3 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

The FOX pregame guys think it would be a shame if Jay gets fired in season. They think he'd be a good coach in a different situation. So even they know the real problem is Snyder/Allen. 

Everyone in the league knows. 

• Like 2

Jay would not be a good coach in a different situation. We've never really seen even a glimpse of that. Even when he was accumulating stats with Garcon and Jackson he couldn't score. I know it's fun to bash Snyder, but Jay deserves no get out of jail free card.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Jay would not be a good coach in a different situation. We've never really seen even a glimpse of that. Even when he was accumulating stats with Garcon and Jackson he couldn't score. I know it's fun to bash Snyder, but Jay deserves no get out of jail free card.

It sucks to blame Snyder because you can’t get rid of him. That doesn’t mean he’s not the core problem though. Zorn / Spurrier embarrassments were before Allen. 

Snyder is not a winner.

Jay has his moments, but he'll never get another HC job.  And that's why no young coordinator with promise will be applying for the job.  Better to remain a coordinator in a good system and wait for the right situation to come along than to coach the Skins and have your reputation destroyed.

• Like 1

Bruce Allen needs to be fired right after they loose to the Dolphins so a new GM can be brought in and evaluate the team before the season ends..Snyder has to accept that Bruce's run as team president is over..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Jay has his moments, but he'll never get another HC job.  And that's why no young coordinator with promise will be applying for the job.  Better to remain a coordinator in a good system and wait for the right situation to come along than to coach the Skins and have your reputation destroyed.

Gruden has made big HC money for 5+ years now. Most people would take that over OC money. There are only 32 jobs and most of them don't become available. Even better for us if Haskins looks like the real deal by the end of the season. He just needs to flash down the stretch. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gruden has made big HC money for 5+ years now. Most people would take that over OC money. There are only 32 jobs and most of them don't become available. Even better for us if Haskins looks like the real deal by the end of the season. He just needs to flash down the stretch. 

Gruden is making $4M/yr.  Garrett was making $3M/yr as an OC and that was 11 years ago.  JJ will gladly shell out $3M/yr to keep Moore.  Moore would be a dumbass to come here and be labeled a loser while he's still in his 30s.  I think everyone realizes now that every coach will fail under Snyder.  I have 20 years of evidence to back that up.

The "only 32 jobs" argument doesn't fly.  16 of those 32 are on the hot seat every year and 5 or 6 jobs open up each year.  If you are a hot coordinator, it pays to be selective.

What is absolutely stunning to me, is that Bruce may have been the only GM or member of the media or general public to have been right about Kirk Cousins. Sort of. 

Good lord, Kirk is putrid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

What is absolutely stunning to me, is that Bruce may have been the only GM or member of the media or general public to have been right about Kirk Cousins. Sort of. 

He was wrong before he was right, and he handled the situation completely wrong. 

They should have signed him before the 2016 season. After that they shouldn’t have franchise tagged him.  That’s where everything went wrong...

• Like 3

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

He was wrong before he was right, and he handled the situation completely wrong. 

They should have signed him before the 2016 season. After that they shouldn’t have franchise tagged him.  That’s where everything went wrong...

Agreed. He like, kinda got lucky on that. He essentially slow played while he figured out what he was looking at, until it was too late. It’s like his lack of decisiveness paid off. 

No good coach is coming here as long as Bruce is still here..Unless Snyder wises up and fires him i see no hope in the fore see able future.

I hope and pray that if/when Jay gets let go, that Allen is fired first. We need to get a new GM first, then let the GM decide if Jay stays or goes. If Jay goes, then the GM needs to be the one to hire our new coach.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I wish I knew what the Danny was saying to Allen today as they walked out of Giants stadium today........something like- "Glad we both have our houses for sale".

Doubling down on we are close?  Hey Dan I'll tell the fans we are just as passionate as they are...😀

https://www.richmond.com/sports/redskins/bruce-allen-says-redskins-are-close-to-playoff-berth-says/article_d403579e-1e8d-11e9-9ba7-7f4188d8d78a.html?=1234

MOBILE, Ala. - Washington Redskins team president Bruce Allen said the team was just two games out of the playoffs last year, and continues to make strides to clear the final hurdle and participate in the postseason.

In a chat with beat reporters at the Senior Bowl, Allen addressed the perception of growing fan discontent with the way the Redskins are run.

"It's heart wrenching to everyone," Allen said of missing the playoffs. "The passion of our fans is fantastic. They want us to win. We hear from them. I know exactly what they want. They want to win football games. And that is our job, to try to find a way to win these games

"I share their passion for this franchise and for the things we can accomplish. And we're going to get this whole organization believing in it."

He said the team has to find a way to get over the hump.

"We're in the middle of the pack, and we've been in the middle of the pack the last three seasons," Allen said. "It means you're close. It means you're close to being better. We have to find the right ingredients and the right chemistry to be able to do that."

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:03 PM, thesubmittedone said:

And, for the love of God, if anyone gets the desire to chime in with some snarky comment about this being too long, just spare me.

Bryan-Cranston-Who-Me.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, benskins26 said:

Well, there was that Scott McLaughlin guy...  Who also may be actually be the only one between him and Bruce who got it right, because Bruce wanted to give him massive bags of money, and Scotty Mac only wanted him signed for cheap.

• Like 1

lot of material in this article

When I finally got the chance to talk to Allen in the spring in a one-on-one interview at the NFL's Annual League Meeting, I asked him what he'd learned in nearly a decade with the Redskins. He said that was "a better question for my brother. He's a shrink."

He laughed. I didn't.

The answer seems to be nothing. He has continued to freelance and in turn has a 60-88-1 record (.402 winning percentage) to show for it. There have been few executives in sports history who have had as poor of a record and as long as a tenure, which is why some of this ire has to go towards Snyder.

It is the owner who allows Allen to keep running his franchise. It is the owner who has talked to the press exactly zero times in any on-the-record capacity in the last five seasons. It is he who could change anything he wants with one fell swoop and does not.

Instead, the status quo continues. The status quo of the Allen/Snyder era is losing. It is losing games. It is losing fans. It is losing employees. It is losing respect around the league. It is losing hope.

We often use the phrase "once-proud franchise" to describe the Redskins. The problem seems to be the men in charge are still proud of what they are, despite what they are: a losing franchise with no clear direction for the future.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Unfun fact:

Bruce Allen is the worst GM in Redskins history, not just morally/ethically, but statistically.  In 80+ years he has proven himself to be at the very top, of being terrible.

I have been loving this damn team since WAY before Dan bought them. Bruce is the worst. A match made in Hades. Most down I've ever been on this team. I wish that whatever made me fall for them as a youth could be undone. Embarrassing to even be a fan. Very sad state of affairs. Hail

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is honestly not enough outrage within the fanbase OR local and national media that Snyder hasn't been in front of a reporter in five entire years to answer for this mess. What other owner gets away with that? There's very little pressure on him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

See the Jerry Brewer column today in the Washington Post-with this headline -"Jay Gruden will be fired, but he may be the best man for this particularly awful job."

Brewer focuses on the toxic work environment which leads directly to Allen and the owner.

• Like 3

...His longevity, despite a 35-48-1 record, is a testament to his unique ability to hold this wacky franchise together. Since his hiring in January 2014, Gruden has been the glue for Washington. He has helped it aspire to be, and sometimes resemble, a functional outfit. On a rudimentary level, at least. Because of his easygoing personality and knack for moving on quickly from disappointment (losses or wonky front office decisions), he is a connector and quite good at minimizing a potential crisis. Those skills seem more like superpowers when navigating the toxic culture in Ashburn.

...There is even more to consider, but let’s stop reading the list. Here’s the larger point: Gruden has made it longer than anyone in Snyder’s collection of head coaches because he managed to remain on task and keep dropping hints of progress even as dysfunction continued to swirl. Gruden is also fortunate that Snyder, after years of burdening the franchise with his impulsivity, has been in a patient mood. But the coach inspired that mood with his talent for managing up. Gruden made it work with Allen for as long as any human could. The few times Snyder interfered, Gruden resisted being offended. When Gruden messed up, he admitted his mistakes and evolved as a first-time NFL head coach. Quite often, Gruden made the Redskins feel like they could do something special. He was good for their ego. That’s why he staved off joining Snyder’s morgue of head coaches.

...The eradication of Allen’s influence is the must urgent and potentially transformative matter facing Washington. To Snyder, however, Allen is a confidante and a shield. So he stays, and instead of a significant front office overhaul, Gruden and the coaching staff will take the hit.

They will take it because Allen breathlessly declared the franchise is “close” to realizing its dreams. I’ve mocked that before and will do so again: Just because the Redskins hovered at .500 for Years 2-5 of Gruden, just because they were 6-3 last season when Smith went down, just because they’ve drafted a few good young men, it doesn’t mean that they are on the brink of perennial contention. That lie has been exposed the first month of the 2019 season.

...There is evidence to suggest that Gruden’s tenure represents close to the best that Washington can be with Snyder and Allen living in their aloof bubble. That sounds ludicrous at first, then sobering, then mortifying.

A firing is supposed to be an opportunity to foster new hope. Good luck with that. The Redskins figure to dismiss Gruden soon, but the organizational stench shall remain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl/jay-gruden-will-be-fired-but-he-may-be-the-best-man-for-this-particularly-awful-job/2019/09/30/2f98e174-e36d-11e9-a331-2df12d56a80b_story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gruden is a joke,  the team doesn’t respect him and he doesn’t coach. He is an overpaid playcaller.  By his own admission he isn’t good at that.   Bruce is horrible too, but that doesn’t excuse what Jay is doing to the team. You think he is a good guys and drinking buddy?  You say you don’t love him but you sure seem to deflect for him. 

Edited by Rypienskinz

Just now, Rypienskinz said:

Gruden is a joke,  the team doesn’t respect him and he doesn’t coach. He is an overpaid playcaller.  By his own admission he isn’t good at that. 

If he's the problem, then they should be fine.  Dan will figure things out.   :(

• Haha 2