• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Bruce survives at least one more year because he can sell a new beginnings narrative plus the stadium is still in play.  If another firebruce thing though heats up, I wonder if that's a factor?  Don't know.  

He exhausted the new beginnings excuse with RG3 and then with Kirk. We've went through two franchise QBs already under his watch.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

The firing of Bruce Allen would bring a much needed shot in the arm to a very indifferent and apathetic fan base.  

Unless he's replaced by Vinny Cerrato. Sounds crazy, but Snyder clearly values boot-licking yes-men over competent, independent-minded football executives.

• Like 4

Snyder and this team don't deserve a new stadium or a cent of taxpayer money, and I hope that issue becomes so huge that the NFL has to intervene. If Dan can't lock down a new stadium, things could get ugly. The other owners have always resented Snyder for setting precedents in various markets that screw them all--coaching salaries in the past, FA salaries bidding against themselves and resetting the markets. Imagine if Snyder becomes the first loser billionaire in the NFL to have an entire geograohic area tell him to shove it and refuse to help him finance a stadium, and for good reason. That is a bad look for the league and an awful precedent going forward--that a team can be so poorly perceived that cities can just laugh and say "nah" to forking over taxpayer money or even a stadium site. The NFL does not want to see that come to pass...I wonder who recommended LaFemina to come "fix" a legacy brand in a deteriorating, underperforming market. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Dear Mr Snyder.

Please consider the two following possible scenarios.

Option 1. You keep Bruce Allen as your GM.

He will continue to make decisions which appear to be made with an ego driven agenda. The Kirk Cousins situation and now the Trent Williams problem are shining examples of this. He seems more concerned with doing what's best for himself (as in appearing to win the argument) rather than doing what's best for the team.

Sure, you'll lose your favourite drinking buddy, but come on, you don't really like the slimy sycophant, do you That would be like saying that Mr Burns actually likes Smithers, it just ain't so.

Also, you could hire any number of people to facilitate the new stadium, Give Jerry a call, he'll know some guys.

I know you don't get out much, but just so you know, everyone thinks that you and your team are a joke. All the other owners laugh at you behind your back and the Redskins have been irrelevant for a number of years now. Attendances are down, unless you count the hoards of opposing fans overrunning the stadium. How many more seats do you have to remove in a vain attempt to make it look like it's full?

In short, Mr Snyder (no offense meant) If the Prince of Darkness continues to be the GM, things will never improve, they will only get worse, apathy will reign.

Option 2. Fire Smithers and hire a real, competent GM.

If you have to, hire a personnel company to recommend the best candidates available, and don't be cheap. Give him complete control of the team, let him install a hierarchy where everyone has proper defined roles and everyone is accountable.

The drafts have been pretty good recently, so if you've had some input in them, then great, carry on. Otherwise stay the **** out of all football related decisions.

It won't happen overnight, but the team will improve, the wins will come, the fans will return. You can start to re-install all those old seats that you've got stored in your garage. But more importantly, you will gain some respect from your peers. You can hold your head up high in owners meetings.  You'll get new drinking buddies, Imagine lording it up over Bill Belichick, Andy Reid and Sean Payton on your lavishly expensive yacht. Sean McVay will look up to you, oh the joy!

Imagine it Mr Snyder, standing up on the podium at the Super Bowl, holding the Lombardi in your tiny little hands. Tens of thousands of adoring fans chanting your name. Imagine it Dan, It can be a reality. All you have to do is FIRE BRUCE ALLEN. Make it happen Mr Snyder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

All you have to do is FIRE BRUCE ALLEN. Make it happen Mr Snyder.

February 10, 2020

WASHINGTON -

Redskins owner Dan Snyder called a rare press conference today to announce the firing of GM Bruce Allen and interim coach Greg Manusky.

"He (Allen) wouldn't let me pick my own players," Snyder said. "I wasn't having any fun."

Snyder took the opportunity to announce the new GM of the Redskins: himself.

"I've been doing this for 20 years now and I think I've earned the right to choose my own players. I read Street & Smith's every year before the draft."

Snyder also mentioned he was looking at head coaching candidates. "Anyone have Jeff George's phone number?" he asked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

He exhausted the new beginnings excuse with RG3 and then with Kirk. We've went through two franchise QBs already under his watch.

I agree but Dan isn't the most self aware dude.  I am not sure he knows yet that his bag of tricks has worn thin.  I still recall Bruce's self satisfied look on his face when he introduced Doug as ostensibly the GM of the team as if the fans just like him are just blown away by nostalgia.   Nostalgia and new beginnings are Dan's favorite selling points.  But I agree fans aren't buying it anymore. 

Firing Bruce would bring about a euphoria among die hard fans as did the firing of Ernie Grunfeld, but I don't know that it moves the needle for the casual fan. Bruce ought to go because it is the right move. And it is the right move. He has been at the job for ten years, a job that is solely about winning a game, and he has proven himself unable to consistently win. He hasn't even cobbled together a team and a staff able to have that miracle run that fans can point to as the Giants did among Eli's up and down career.

All that said, the ecstacy among fans following Bruce's departure turned to confusion and dismay at the Wizards' inability to find his successor... eventually stumbling into a promotion from within that left their fans nonplussed. Oddly, what many here hope for (possibly myself included) is Bruce departs and Kyle Smith gets promoted with Doug finding a role somewhere too. 

There's this weird disconnect with the 'skins in that they seem to be drafting well. Outsiders have called the last two drafts home runs and among the best in the NFL. That said, what doesn't work is broken and might be broken beyond repair. Worse, that drafted talent isn't being seen on the field or it isn't shining brightly enough. Couple that with a lackluster free agency and an inability to fix the defensive coaching crew, player dissatisfaction, and a bevy of other problems and you have a situation which needs to change.

The vision of the Redskins needs to change. The architect and the chef both need to change. I think it's fair to say that after nearly ten years for Bruce and six for Jay that the light bulb is not going suddenly switch on. Change needs to happen for the team's sake, but also because the Redskins are seeing real revenue shifts.

What's happening is failing off the field.  So, even if you don't care about winning and all you care about is making money... right now, money is being lost.

• Like 2

For curiosity, did Kyle Smith's name enter the article? I know he's well-regarded on ES, but is he actually an NFL hot commodity.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

For curiosity, did Kyle Smith's name enter the article? I know he's well-regarded on ES, but is he actually an NFL hot commodity.

Nope.  I like Kyle but he's rarely mentioned in any article about the best personnel guys in the league.  Part of it could be his title.    For example McClay from Dallas who gets a mile more buzz than Kyle is involved with BOTH college and pro player personnel.

I've been fairly critical of this team's pro player personnel and I am far from alone on that.   McClay arguably kicks butt on both fronts for Dallas -- college and pros.  He doesn't always.  But plenty enough.  I think for Kyle to rise in esteem in the league, he'd need to show he can do both.  I suspect he could do a great job with both.  

As I've said many times if Kyle is promoted to run personnel versus his role right now which is to recommend players in the draft -- it would go a long way in terms of the perception of the organization and I think they'd win more, too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2018 at 11:59 PM, SkinInsite said:

BAs rebuild plan includes McNugget trade and extension debacle, RG3 debacle, Shanny boys debacle, KC contract debacle, SM debacle. 

Dude is still in charge

1.5 years later you can now add the Lafemina debacle, the Alex Smith debacle, the Trent Williams debacle, and the soon to be ending Jay Gruden 6 year Saga.

The ineptitude is accelerating at a rapid pace.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

The ineptitude is accelerating at a rapid pace.

But to Allen there is no such thing as ineptitude (even when he drinks Coors light) so therefore to him it is not accelerating and is just the norm for him. If Gruden takes the team close to the playoffs or to the playoffs (not sure how but stranger things can happen) then Gruden will be back next year since he is still has a contract for 2020. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

What's happening is failing off the field.  So, even if you don't care about winning and all you care about is making money... right now, money is being lost.

This is the most baffling thing.  Snyder wants to make money. Yet he’s resistant to changing what he has to know deep down has to be done.  

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

Id love to believe we have a top tier future GM in the fold right here, but to be honest, I suspect much of the hype over Smith is purely internal and based around the fact that hes not as crap as the rest of the people hes surrounded by. He was a man chosen by a man who doesnt know how to choose, which is one red flag.  Once one of Smiths drafts actually pan out rather than just on paper, maybe the rest of the league will take notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Id love to believe we have a top tier future GM in the fold right here, but to be honest, I suspect much of the hype over Smith is purely internal and based around the fact that hes not as crap as the rest of the people hes surrounded by. He was a man chosen by a man who doesnt know how to choose, which is one red flag.  Once one of Smiths drafts actually pan out rather than just on paper, maybe the rest of the league will take notice.

What intrigues me about Kyle is that we finally seem to be drafting better and have hit at least two in a row (at least on paper) More, we're getting contributions from low round draft picks and undrafted guys. I think SIP has a point that if only one phase is working right (the draft) and all the others (player relations, free agency, stadium and fan relations, etc.) aren't working it's hard to know if Kyle has "it" Then again, he has one job right now and seems to be doing it well.

If we have to lose him to get rid of Bruce and Jay then so be it. The bigger goal of resetting the team needs to take precedence. 

The culture thing will dog Dan until his ownership ends, I doubt he even understands the word.  For those who defend him because he spends money.  On that point, he doesn't always spend money, on some fronts he's arguably cheap but I'll play along  and give him that.   Some of the people who worked at Redskins Park have rallied around the fact that the operative words there are fear, impatience, alliances, etc.  According to some you need a master's in office politics to succeed there.  Fortunately for Bruce is sounds like office politics is his wheel house.  That culture from above filters downs.  It effects coaching.  It effects personnel.  It's not just about whether an owner is willing to splash the cash.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Makaveli said:

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1175811845409726465

Dan Steinberg: Booger McFarland calls FedEx Field a great, “iconic” venue and says Bruce Allen has done a “solid job” running the Redskins

Booger is the ****ing worst.  Honestly, I have hated his analysis, commentary, and just him opening his mouth about anything since he started on SiriusXM NFL several years ago.  Even his unfortunate partners on different programs would joke his stupid comments, and the network happily let him go.  ESPN, of course, couldn't help themselves.  It is like they have gone out of their way to make MNF as difficult to listen to as possible.

• Like 1

Just taking stock a few items

-Kyle is now undefeated in SF

-McVay is undefeated in LA

-Several rookie QB's are looking like studs while sloth Haskins continues his "development" after a below average preseason where he clearly looked overweight and overmatched in the NFL while his daddy setup his brand.  

--KC using tools from the trade with us for Smith to go undefeated while Alex Smith recovers from a busto leg

--Basement of the NFC East

--Mystery and lingering injuries continue unchecked

--Reed probably never to play again after collecting a fat check to do nothing for two years (to include this one)

--Team "captain" never wants to be associated w/ this organization ever again

--Hall of Fame RB making fun of FO publicly after being unceremoniously benched

--Guice

--Fan apathy at an all time high

Bruce you SUCK - I truly hate what this org has become

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Several rookie QB's are looking like studs while sloth Haskins continues his "development" after a below average preseason where he clearly looked overweight and overmatched in the NFL while his daddy setup his brand.  

Your post would have been spot on if it didn’t include this garbage

• Like 1

Ok...while I still maintain that Dan and Bruce are not bad people. I will say that I am in agreement with Mr. Lombardi's take (interviewed on 106.7 the fan). I do believe Dan needs to rid himself of Bruce. And like Lombardi said, Dan needs to hire a guy to coordinate a winning culture with an emphasis on conditioning and smarts. Once Dan does that, step the **** out of the building and don't return until you see what that looks like. Right now Dan does not know what he doesn't know. Once you hire this guy, IMO you should bring in Eric M. Bieniemy, Jr. as your head coach - one that comes from a winning organization; one that has a handle on today's offenses and one that understands the type of player makers to field on Sunday. But even if you don't hire Eric, you have got to change the culture.

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

Just taking stock a few items

-Kyle is now undefeated in SF

-McVay is undefeated in LA

-Several rookie QB's are looking like studs while sloth Haskins continues his "development" after a below average preseason where he clearly looked overweight and overmatched in the NFL while his daddy setup his brand.  

--KC using tools from the trade with us for Smith to go undefeated while Alex Smith recovers from a busto leg

--Basement of the NFC East

--Mystery and lingering injuries continue unchecked

--Reed probably never to play again after collecting a fat check to do nothing for two years (to include this one)

--Team "captain" never wants to be associated w/ this organization ever again

--Hall of Fame RB making fun of FO publicly after being unceremoniously benched

--Guice

--Fan apathy at an all time high

Bruce you SUCK - I truly hate what this org has become

So putting this into perspective, the Redskins have sucked for most of its existence. But Bruce does suck.