Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

Can’t believe the Patriots put their coach in front of the media to deal with Brown saga ;) 

This isn't the first time of late that I've had to bring this point up, but it's wise to not ever compare the Skins to the Pats in really any capacity whatsoever.  The Pats are an anomaly.  They have a ton of guys behind Belichick that help Bill be Bill.  But he has been and always will be the voice of that franchise until he decides not to be.  He is practically a hybrid of both GM and head coach so it makes sense for him to handle those duties.  Not to mention he's a grizzled veteran with more experience than any other top guy in the NFL with a bunch of rings.  I think he can handle himself okay.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This isn't the first time of late that I've had to bring this point up, but it's wise to not ever compare the Skins to the Pats in really any capacity whatsoever.  The Pats are an anomaly.  They have a ton of guys behind Belichick that help Bill be Bill.  But he has been and always will be the voice of that franchise until he decides not to be.  He is practically a hybrid of both GM and head coach so it makes sense for him to handle those duties.  Not to mention he's a grizzled veteran with more experience than any other top guy in the NFL with a bunch of rings.  I think he can handle himself okay.

It appears it’s common in the league to have the coaches respond to news within the “media routine/expectation”. Theoretically, this will assist with maintaining the norm. 

The alternative being to call a press conference or have a member of the organization speak outside of the norm adding to the news overall. 

16 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Here's how awful I am at projecting who will be good for the Redskins...

Before the 1999 season, I was livid that Stephen Davis was going to be the featured RB and not Skip Hicks. 

Not picking on your particularly but imagine you running the team. That’s basically Snyder and whatever GM he chooses. These guys don’t know ****.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Not picking on your particularly but imagine you running the team. That’s basically Snyder and whatever GM he chooses. These guys don’t know ****.

Exactly! 

That's why I wouldn't be that type of owner. We all hate Jerry Jones, but the man has some football acumen. I don't. I would turn it over to people who know their ****. 

This team president is a survivor. He knows where he can set up shop and do his thing. No other team in the league would ever give him an access code to the front door except an owner mesmerized by nostalgia of Redskins glory, an owner bent on links to football tradition, and dummies like the Glazers. As he's shown, he is very clever at positioning himself in a way that insulates him from culpability when things go wrong. Unfortunately, he apparently knows exactly what buttons to push with this owner. Riding that nostalgia train is reaping incredible rewards, and has ensured his longevity.......in spite of the results of his leadership. Doug is carrying out real NFL executive duties about as much as Ray Charles did as an air traffic controller. The losses, the morale, the stadium full of colors other than burgundy and gold, the canning of a superb executive (Brian Lafemina), the meddling with a HC (major FA signings without consulting him)...........the list goes on and on. The only individual who could take the owner aside and say, with effect, "you have to get rid of him" is Gibbs. He would never do that, of course. Or maybe if Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, Starke, and May too him aside and said the same thing........I don't know. Somebody has to get to Snyder and loosen him from the grip of Rasputin. But as I said, dude is a survivor. His next move is probably to talk Russ out of retirement and bring him in as the next HC. The owner would buy it, and the team president would buy himself more time.

39 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

HOW IS MINKAH STILL A DOLPHIN

MAKE THE TRADE

If they had traded Trent and collected more assets I'd say go for it.  As it stands now the Skins don't have a 2nd rd pick and I don't think they'd trade a 1st for Minkah.  I mean the Skins need to focus the 2020 draft on offense so I don't think they can have their 1st and 2nd picks used on the defensive side.  

Besides, Minkah's a nice chess piece to have with a creative DC.  We've got Manusky.  

Mike Florio is reporting Guice maybe out all year- it depends on which type of surgery Dr. Anderson performed on him.

After the Dallas game if we have more injuries just remember we do not have a lot of depth at some of the key positions.  Remember why we cannot afford

to bring in more depth-  Mr. Allen, the Prince of Darkness signed Alex Smith to that huge contract so while Alex is recuperating and collecting his money we

do not have the cap space to bring in more talented players.  This season is going to be more frustrating than previous years. I think Gruden knows the end is near.

So. Allen isn’t playing, he’s hurt.  

Reed was hurt for the first game.  Might/might not play on the second.

Brantley might not play.

Guice most likely to IR 

Dunny is hurt again.  

Moreau is hurt.

We’re in week 2.

Guice was hurt last year.

Dunny was hurt last year. 

Allen missed most of his rookie campaign with an Injury.  

I get the feeling we’re heading towards another 

“BUT THE INJURIES!!!!l excuse for Bruce. (Though j get the feeling it might not save Jay this time)  Even though most of the guys who are injured have been injured before. 

Also Trent is holding out.  

I see Bruce being able to sell Dan that they are still close, need to replace a few guys and probably need new coaching. 

Which makes ne kind of sick.  

BTW, how much cap space do the Skins have right now? It’s not a trivial amount, right?  They could have brought in more guys to back up the oft injured folks, but just chose not to.

Dan needs to see through This charade and understand that part of the injury issue is continuing to sign and count on guys with injury histories.  

Thanks to signing Alex Smith for too much money our cap space is not as good as it might have been.  Allen should be trying to find a way out of the Alex mess he created so we can bring in more depth to deal with these injuries.  If I am Gruden, I cannot wait to be fired so I can find another job.  He has his $25 million already in the bank, so he can leave this dumpster fire for a new Skin head coach to confront.  Also, why keep Colt McCoy around now too?  The next head coach will release him.

Archived