Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I know you’ve been all in on Guice before Skins drafted him, but man, he flashed big time last game. A significant physical presence. You can see how his his style could really wear down a defense physically and mentally. 

If the team team can find 30-35 carries for AP and Guice to eat on, Skins will be in most games. We’ll see if Case can protect the ball and use legs in critical situations. Defense will have to take another step as well. Overall, I’m ho hum on Case— history tells us he can win and lose games, more losing though. 

Sheehan was going on today about how he thinks Case is an improvement over Alex.  As you know I was a bit disappointed with Alex last year but I don't think Case is as good.  If your QB doesn't make many big plays -- and arguably Alex did not -- then the dude has to protect the ball which he did.  I don't think Case will make enough plays to justify his propensity for turnovers.  But if Sheehan is right and I am wrong, I think they can be a wildcard type team.  The run game and defense IMO is strong enough where it can get by with mediocre QB play.  I don't think it could survive though a turnover prone QB. 

Back to Guice, if he's 100% and is back to his 2017 form, IMO he will be a superstar.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan was going on today about how he thinks Case is an improvement over Alex.  As you know I was a bit disappointed with Alex last year but I don't think Case is as good.  If your QB doesn't make many big plays -- and arguably Alex did not -- then the dude has to protect the ball which he did.  I don't think Case will make enough plays to justify his propensity for turnovers.  But if Sheehan is right and I am wrong, I think they can be a wildcard type team.  The run game and defense IMO is strong enough where it can get by with mediocre QB play.  I don't think it could survive though a turnover prone QB. 

Back to Guice, if he's 100% and is back to his 2017 form, IMO he will be a superstar.  

When a QB is average or below, it comes down to what are the “known variables” the team can rally around. Keenum presents some scattered play making ability, but nothing you can count on or expect. His knowns is his propensity to make turn overs and overall (in my view) not manage games or situation well. If chaos shows itself (it will) not sure he possesses the intangibles/skill to manage situations. 

With that said, if running game is clicking 10 of 16 games, defense is dominate 6 of 16, Keenum catches fire 2 of 16, defense is competitive 13 of 16, win turnover margin by +2 — 4 of 16...

There just might be a formula in there that provides Keenum enough support to win 9-10 games. 

Edited by wit33

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

When a QB is average or below, it comes down to what are the “known variables” the team rally around. Keenum presents some scattered play making ability, but nothing you can count on or expect. His knowns is his propensity to make turn overs and overall (in my view) not manage games or situation well. If chaos shows itself (it will) not sure he possesses the intangibles/skill to manage situations. 

With that said, if running game is clicking 10 of 16 games, defense is dominate 6 of 16, Keenum catches fire 2 of 16, defense is competitive 13 of 16, win turnover margin by +2 — 4 of 16...

There just might be a formula in there that provides Keenum enough support to win 9-10 games. 

Keenum though (pass protection, too) needs to provide enough of a threat to keep defenses honest.  Otherwise, they will get stacked boxes every game to stop the run.  They really need to figure out play action this season in a big way IMO.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Can you be an effective run team consistently without having a top 10 QB? On the aggregate, exceptions I’m sure exist. 

Yes.  Alex Smith wasn’t a top 10 QB and the Chiefs could run on anybody.

I’d argue Wentz/Foles aren’t top 10 QBs, Eagles can run the ball.

2 years ago the Jags could run the ball and whatshisnugget was a bottom 5 QB.

Its possible.  You need to scheme it and commit to it.  But it’s possible.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes.  Alex Smith wasn’t a top 10 QB and the Chiefs could run on anybody.

I’d argue Wentz/Foles aren’t top 10 QBs, Eagles can run the ball.

2 years ago the Jags could run the ball and whatshisnugget was a bottom 5 QB.

Its possible.  You need to scheme it and commit to it.  But it’s possible.

Last year:

-Jags 20th

-Eagles 29th (Wentz was leader for MVP in 2017 before injury)

It’s certainly possible, just being consistent is tough and often times, the defense must superb to provide the volume needed. 

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Last year:

-Jags 20th

-Eagles 29th (Wentz was leader for MVP in 2017 before injury)

It’s certainly possible, just being consistent is tough and often times, the defense must superb to provide the volume needed. 

Everything is harder without a top 10 QB.

But it’s possible. 

Its also possible to make the playoffs withoot a top 10 QB because 12 teams make it every year and not all the best QBs make it in... (Though most do...)

• Like 1

Redskins sources said they believe there's an outside chance that the Lions could decide to get something in return for Sanders. The Redskins have three first-round choices in next year's college draft, and they apparently are prepared to offer at least one of them for Sanders.

I didn't know about that oldie, funny high draft picks were burning a hole in Dan's pocket right from the outset.

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Everything is harder without a top 10 QB.

But it’s possible. 

Its also possible to make the playoffs withoot a top 10 QB because 12 teams make it every year and not all the best QBs make it in... (Though most do...)

I think teams have proven every now and then you can make the playoffs with a Jag or worse at QB, see Bortles, etc.  But that journey tends to be short lived.  It's really hard to be a habitual winner in the league without a franchise QB.  "Most" is the operative thing for just about everything.  There are always exceptions.  Not saying you are suggesting otherwise.  I am just doubling down on the point that this franchise is likely going nowhere until they get the Qb position right. 

I think the D is a little too good for 3-13 and we play some weak teams like the Dolphins and 49ers. 5-11 or 6-10 is my pick.

Why would anyone respect the Redskins?  They have been absolute **** the past 2 decades for the most part.  We get excited for 8-8 seasons around here since those are the outliers.  And now that the Browns seem to have their **** together, we are now the Browns of the NFL until proven otherwise.  Hell, I bet outside of DC, people call the ****ty teams "The Redskins" of the NFL.

To be respected the Redskins have to earn it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

another 3-13 prediction. 

I know it means nothing but damn it’d be nice to be respected once in a while. But i can’t even say i fully disagree. I’m at 5-11

It's tough for me.  I root for them hard every game no matter what.  But at the same time a 3-13 season might be the perfect storm to bring needed change.  I know some are fixated on getting rid of Jay.  I like Jay but I don't live or die with his prospects so what happens with him happens.  The dude I want out or reassigned is Bruce.

So whatever bloodletting it takes for Dan to finally understand what most other sports franchises get -- hire a top guy to buy the groceries and get out of that person's way.  Even if Dan is too dense to understand that's how you build a winner he should at least get with the 21st century as to PR in sports.  In the last I'd say about 5-10 years the sexy hires are the GMs these days not so much the HC's anymore.  Dan if you want to get good press?  It's no accident that you got better press with Scot and received the benefit of the doubt much more.   These days the John Dorsey's, Chris Ballards are as big with the insider types and especially the media as the head coaches are if not bigger.  Dan has improved in some regards but otherwise he always seems a bit behind the times which is odd considering he's always been (even now) one of the youngest owners in the NFL. 

The other upside of a crash and burn season is that it might get Dan off the ledge that they are "close".  And they'd go full gear (hopefully) with a rebuild.  And with a record like that you'd have an easy shot at either Wirfs or Thomas at LT in the draft -- both to me are mega talented. 

Having said that, I doubt they go 3-13.  People hype up the first 5 games of the schedule being tough.  But otherwise their schedule to me is weak.  If I recall technically its the weakest schedule in the NFL.  I think their defense is too good and I believe in Guice-Peterson in the running game to where they go 7-9 or 8-8.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Why would anyone respect the Redskins?  They have been absolute **** the past 2 decades for the most part.  We get excited for 8-8 seasons around here since those are the outliers.  And now that the Browns seem to have their **** together, we are now the Browns of the NFL until proven otherwise.  Hell, I bet outside of DC, people call the ****ty teams "The Redskins" of the NFL.

To be respected the Redskins have to earn it.

Exactly...and sadly we are closer to 3 decades than we are 2 at this point. 

I said it last year, no matter how this team might look on paper, it's money in the bank for the national guys to predict a bad season. Maybe not 3-13 bad, but bad. Sure, they'll be wrong 2-3 times every decade where we go 9-7 and win the East or grab a WC in a down year, but to hit 7-8 times out of 10 still makes it worth their while to basically say "eh, it's the Redskins" and predict a last-place finish. 

Of the 10 non-division games:

Not Happening: vs. Chicago, vs. New England

Probably Not: at Minnesota, at Carolina, at Green Bay

Maybe/Probably: at Miami, vs. San Fran, at Buffalo, vs. NYJ, vs. Detroit

If we sweep the 5 'maybe' games and the Giants and steal 1 of 4 from Dallas/Philly it's 8-8. I think even that is unlikely and that's basically the ceiling. 

• Like 1

That tweet is depressing.  Looking how often they are at the bottom of the division just by scrolling across the division standings is pretty hilarious and sad at the same time.

So is the fact we haven't won a playoff game since TWO THOUSAND FIVE.

Seth Walder's top 10 front offices

ne.png&h=110&w=110

1. New England Patriots: It's boring, but it's also accurate. The Pats have a knack for knowing when to cash in on a player (Jamie Collins), when to pick one up for cheap (Trent Brown) and when to pay the big bucks (Stephon Gilmore).

ind.png&h=110&w=110

2. Indianapolis Colts: Through trade-downs in the draft, the Colts have built a nice core, including a rock-solid offensive line.

phi.png&h=110&w=110

3. Philadelphia Eagles: Howie Roseman built a Super Bowl champion team that remains one of the deepest rosters in the NFL.

cle.png&h=110&w=110

4. Cleveland Browns: John Dorsey inherited a slew of assets from Sashi Brown, but he's capitalized on the opportunity. And he swindled the Giants out of Odell Beckham Jr. after Big Blue handed the wideout a contract

bal.png&h=110&w=110

5. Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens have long mastered the compensatory pick game, and now they are building a team that embraces the strengths of an unorthodox quarterback that was acquired relatively cheaply in Lamar Jackson.

sea.png&h=110&w=110

6. Seattle Seahawks:Seattle has had a slew of successes in the trade market, from bringing in Duane Brown to landing a haul for Frank Clark to repeatedly gaining value through draft pick trade-downs.

lar.png&h=110&w=110

7. Los Angeles Rams: You can say this about the Rams: They're always looking to get better. The Todd Gurley contract was quite the gaffe, but hey, nobody's perfect.

kc.png&h=110&w=110

8. Kansas City Chiefs: It hasn't been perfect, but one big gamble on Patrick Mahomes can fix a lot of other problems. Kansas City also cashed out on Marcus Peters at what may have been just the right time.

dal.png&h=110&w=110

9. Dallas Cowboys: They'll probably pay Ezekiel Elliott more than they should, but the Cowboys' investment in the offensive line along with some tricky decisions in recent seasons -- like the transition to Dak Prescott at QB and releasing Dez Bryant -- have helped the team's long-term success.

mia.png&h=110&w=110

10. Miami Dolphins: Tanking for Tua while taking a shot on a young QB with upside in Josh Rosen are exactly the right moves for Miami. Chris Grier is off to a good start as head of football operations by embracing a rebuild.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27431976/10-nfl-analysts-rank-everything-football-best-coaches-coordinators-more

On 8/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

another 3-13 prediction. 

I know it means nothing but damn it’d be nice to be respected once in a while. But i can’t even say i fully disagree. I’m at 5-11

If Keenum plays like bottomless depression and the team gets ravaged by injuries again, then yes, I can definitely see 3-13. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:51 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

It's tough for me.  I root for them hard every game no matter what.  But at the same time a 3-13 season might be the perfect storm to bring needed change.  I know some are fixated on getting rid of Jay.  I like Jay but I don't live or die with his prospects so what happens with him happens.  The dude I want out or reassigned is Bruce.

So whatever bloodletting it takes for Dan to finally understand what most other sports franchises get -- hire a top guy to buy the groceries and get out of that person's way.  Even if Dan is too dense to understand that's how you build a winner he should at least get with the 21st century as to PR in sports.  In the last I'd say about 5-10 years the sexy hires are the GMs these days not so much the HC's anymore.  Dan if you want to get good press?  It's no accident that you got better press with Scot and received the benefit of the doubt much more.   These days the John Dorsey's, Chris Ballards are as big with the insider types and especially the media as the head coaches are if not bigger.  Dan has improved in some regards but otherwise he always seems a bit behind the times which is odd considering he's always been (even now) one of the youngest owners in the NFL. 

I feel basically the same way as you do.  It's next to impossible for me to root for the Skins to have a poor season, but I'd stomach it if it meant major wholesale changes in the way the front office operates, which would be the only way we could achieve long-term success (i.e., something other than a wildcard berth every four years or so).   

But I've come around to the inescapable conclusion lately that it doesn't matter how bad we are.  Why would a particularly bad 3-13 bloodletting convince Snyder that he's run this franchise into the ground and that it's time to act like a normal team and hire and empower a real GM?   We've seen absolutely no evidence to lead to a conclusion that Snyder would ever do that.  We keep relying on reason and common sense (if it gets reaaally bad, Snyder will change) when it's more than apparent that reason and common sense do not apply here.  

• Like 1

I really wish that reporter would have asked:

”Bruce, can you please explain the meaning of ‘full mode’?”

Full mode in my opinion tops Kurt, winning off the field and all other Bruce-isms.  Maybe that’s recency bias though.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I really wish that reporter would have asked:

”Bruce, can you please explain the meaning of ‘full mode’?”

Full mode in my opinion tops Kurt, winning off the field and all other Bruce-isms.  Maybe that’s recency bias though.

I laughed at that, too. It reminds me of a line from a Chris Farley/Adam Sandler sketch on SNL when Sandler says, "Each word more useless than the next." 

I'm surprised he didn't say, "We're in full ala mode right now." 

• Haha 1

The memories

On another note, i watched the full interview tied to the link below.  Good news is Bruce shares the fans concerns and likewise just wants to win.  for those who forgot they got it cooking last year and then the injuries hit 😀.  But the key point to me is he said we got to wait another year for the stadium announcement, implying that it hasn't quite been figured out yet.   If so if guys like Brewer, Snider among others are right, we got at least one more year of Bruce because they think Dan won't move him until the stadium is done.  

6 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I'm surprised he didn't say, "We're in full ala mode right now." 

rs-205371-GettyImages-96996621.jpg?resiz

What he meant is that we're in full on Depeche Mode right now and he's Dan Snyder's Personal Jesus.

Reach out, touch faith my brotha

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, i watched the full interview tied to the link below.  Good news is Bruce shares the fans concerns and likewise just wants to win.  for those who forgot they got it cooking last year and then the injuries hit 😀.  But the key point to me is he said we got to wait another year for the stadium announcement, implying that it hasn't quite been figured out yet.   If so if guys like Brewer, Snider among others are right, we got at least one more year of Bruce because they think Dan won't move him until the stadium is done.  

Its not that unexpected to note Bruce said 6 months ago we would likely hear about the stadium announcement within a year.  Many here rightly called it as BS and his way of putting it off, saying "likely" because then later he can just claim he never said it would happen within a year.  Now hes said he thinks it will be a year, so at least 6-12 months later than he said even 6 months ago.  Really, all of the smoke has been that his negotiations and attempts to play everybody has been a terrible disaster, and if thats the case and Allen is lying(shocker) about it likely being in about a year, and instead the whole thing is in jeopardy, Snyder may can him for botching the stadium project.  If Brucey cant deliver a stadium, then he really has no value, and its not even just about delays anymore, but if he can even do it at all.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, PF Chang said:

Minnesota

Only saving grace: Kirk Cousins, prime time game. If we're over .500, guaranteed win.