Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Lol, that's the narrative to a degree on Scot and Lafemina.   Multiple reporters have said it drives Bruce nuts when OTHER people are seen as the saviors.  Is that true?  Don't know.

But hopefully it's different with Kyle since he's one of his best friend's sons.  But yeah a lot of love for Kyle today on twitter.  One reporter mentioned that Jay said Kyle's name in every presser he did about the draft. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Posted (edited)

If Dan and Bruce trust Kyle Smith's evaluations and prepwork, then they should definitely promote him to GM. It will not be long before he is a hot commodity throughout the league. I'll give it by the end of this season and we'll start hearing the murmurs of other teams being interested. I believe he drafts by toughness, passion for the game, coachability, and talent from what I've seen so far. He used to be in charge of the southeast scouting area, so it's no surprise that a significant amount of our recently acquired talent comes from there. 

Front office roles (in my own fantasy world)

Dan- (Owner), ultimately has the final say in every decision, lets smart football people run the football team. He is basically in charge of how much money the Redskins make him. Marketing, setting ticket prices, parking prices etc. 

Bruce- (Team President), in charge of hiring staff, reputable/qualified scouts, networking for the team outside of football (Getting a new stadium built), in charge of anything shady outside Redskins Park (intentional draft leak type of stuff), and lastly contract negotiations (runs the numbers with Schaeffer). 

Doug- (President of player personnel), he's in charge of overseeing player development, Some scouting, and has a hand in the vision for the football team with Kyle Smith. 

Kyle- (GM), overall in charge scouting college players and his scout team, Free agents acquisitions for the team, and ultimately building the team in the shared vision with Doug. Him and Bruce acquire scouts for the team (Bruce imo is actually the one that's very good at finding interns for the Redskins, young guys who are hungry and understand football). 

Jay- (Head Coach), In charge of play calling, How practices are ran, but also another voice for our talent evaluation. He has a say with Bruce when it comes to a coaching staff, but ultimately this is Bruce's decision. 

In my opinion the only ones that should really have communication between each other on how the team is built is Doug, Kyle, and Jay. I'm not entirely sure on Doug's abilities as a talent evaluator yet, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. We've heard for a while that Gruden and Kyle are obviously pretty good at it and share similar opinions. Let Bruce be in charge of hiring anyone non-player orientated (basically the coaches, desk workers, scouts along with Kyle). 

To me, this is about as least dysfunctional as we could get with who we have. It actually seems like a decent structure, and in my opinion is already pretty close to what we are currently doing and we may be trending towards this direction. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lol, that's the narrative to a degree on Scot and Lafemina.   Multiple reporters have said it drives Bruce nuts when OTHER people are seen as the saviors.  Is that true?  Don't know.

But hopefully it's different with Kyle since he's one of his best friend's sons.  But yeah a lot of love for Kyle today on twitter.  One reporter mentioned that Jay said Kyle's name in every presser he did about the draft. 

So I'm on record for saying I don't mind the way the FO is structured as long as the people involved don't mind it. I'm going from my own experiences when I base these things but my thoughts are that with Scot running things vs with Doug "running" things, the inside has changed a lot while the outside looks kinda the same. What I mean by that is that we "the fans" and they "the media" have little to no knowledge of whether Kyle had Haskins 1 and Jones 2 or Jones 1 and Haskins 2, and even less with the later round picks. For example, the Wes Martin pick reminds me of the Matt Ioannidis pick, in that he was an unheard of guy, he benched through the roof, and he was somebody that Jay went to bat for, Was it the same thing with Wes? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

But what is getting me right now is that we're still a laughing stock. Its kinda like we do things where we try to make ourselves a laughing stock. I got so frustrated by how the Foster and Brown fan situations were handled. You can probably add to that the Norman and Thompson things but they aren't as big. And even isolated those things didn't bother me, but then we have a player like DJ who is the best player on defense and we just cut him when he has an outburst. Then we fired the guys we brought in, then there was the way the R. Foster situation was handled. And I don't know who the guys were to go to bat for Foster and I don't really care. You see with other orgs when a player gets involved in something you see a response from leadership to say "we don't approve of this" or "we support our player". So I got real frustrated that Bruce was sending Jay and Doug to talk on this like it was another typical pickup. 

And that's just the second half of last season. I also have the philosophy of 9 years for a GM (3 coaches, 3 years each) and he's at that limit, although with just 2 coaches, its not my fault that both had some hope that led to them not being fired after 3 years.

So if we fire Bruce and promote Kyle, that'd be my first choice, but I could also see Eric getting that role, or another person. Honestly what I want to see is the team invest in analytics. And this is coming mainly from me being a mathematician but also from seeing teams like Philly who invest so much in it do so well, and how its transformed the game of basketball, and seeing myself how these analytics people on the outside can do so much for the game. I don't know how much they're using it (little knowledge of inside the park and all) but I hope they are using it and whatever level they are using it, I hope the plan is to increase it. 

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm on record for saying I don't mind the way the FO is structured as long as the people involved don't mind it. I'm going from my own experiences when I base these things but my thoughts are that with Scot running things vs with Doug "running" things, the inside has changed a lot while the outside looks kinda the same. What I mean by that is that we "the fans" and they "the media" have little to no knowledge of whether Kyle had Haskins 1 and Jones 2 or Jones 1 and Haskins 2, and even less with the later round picks. For example, the Wes Martin pick reminds me of the Matt Ioannidis pick, in that he was an unheard of guy, he benched through the roof, and he was somebody that Jay went to bat for, Was it the same thing with Wes? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Ioannidis wasn't that obscure.  I actually asked for him ironically in the 5th round on the draft thread that year before he was taken.  

16 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But what is getting me right now is that we're still a laughing stock. Its kinda like we do things where we try to make ourselves a laughing stock. I got so frustrated by how the Foster and Brown fan situations were handled. You can probably add to that the Norman and Thompson things but they aren't as big. And even isolated those things didn't bother me, but then we have a player like DJ who is the best player on defense and we just cut him when he has an outburst. Then we fired the guys we brought in, then there was the way the R. Foster situation was handled. And I don't know who the guys were to go to bat for Foster and I don't really care. You see with other orgs when a player gets involved in something you see a response from leadership to say "we don't approve of this" or "we support our player". So I got real frustrated that Bruce was sending Jay and Doug to talk on this like it was another typical pickup. 

I've said the point I am about to make many times.   If I were a Bruce defender here and thought he really did a good job in the FO -- he'd still frustrate me on one key level.    He's the team president.   It's his job in part to put a good face for this organization.  The leak to the press about Scot.  The press release about Kirk and the leaks about him when he left.   The comments about the R. Foster situation from Doug.   All the craziness at the end of 2013 with RG3-Shanny.    Heck even going back further to the Zorn departure.   The winning off the field comment.  The comments about how everyone including him should be mostly graded on their W-L record.  This organization is a walking gaffe or incident waiting to happen.   I personally think that the dude has poor PR instincts and either makes the organization look bad or at best doesn't seem to have an idea of how to stop this stuff from continuing to happen.

I heard him on Sheehan 980 years back saying when asked about the subject say that he didn't know about the WP story where a source told them about Scot's drunken behavior.  He said he wouldn't have condoned it.  I don't know if I believe him or not.  But even if it were true -- they need to find a way to put a lid on the crap.  It makes this organization look crass and petty.  The reason why they don't get the benefit of the doubt especially from the national media is partly I think because this stuff continues to happen. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Hard for me to disagree with you here. We should have definitely put some feelers out there on the market for Swearinger to see what we could get for him. Maybe we did and we just don't know it, who knows. To be honest, he's a really good player, but maybe also kind of a cancer in the lockeroom? It really was never his place to insult the play calling on defense even though we all agreed that it wasn't that good. Cutting him immediately after his outburst was a jumpy decision, we should have probably waited until after the season. The Reuben Foster thing was a bit sleezy, but if we didn't pick him up when we did and take the flak for it, we wouldn't have him, period. He would be on the Patriots after he was cleared 100% and they would be seen as geniuses once again. Until we start winning consistently, we'll always be looked at as the team that spends too much in FA (which besides this year we haven't dabbled into majorly in almost 10 years). Also on Foster's pickup, I'm not sure what else could have been said, going either way with it would have probably drawn negative attention to the Redskins no matter what. All in all, I think the FO is going in a better direction... but we can probably always expect these little circus moments. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's the team president.   It's his job in part to put a good face for this organization.  The leak to the press about Scot.  The press release about Kirk and the leaks about him when he left.   The comments about the R. Foster situation from Doug.   All the craziness at the end of 2013 with RG3-Shanny.    Heck even going back further to the Zorn departure.   The winning off the field comment. 

Individually I can give just about each of these a pass. Things happen. I think the winning off the field thing has been one of the most overrated things he said. But its like, we're in a constant countdown until the next mishap. That's why the fan base was so afraid this week, because we knew we were due. Heck we still are. I give some fault to the media but some has to go to Bruce. That's why I got so mad when they fired the guys from the front office. Because they were trying to at least build that bridge again. And then, just cut the rope. So we're back in hostility with WP, 1067 and the media. So its only natural for there to be guys like EB who look for every opportunity to talk about rumors and negative things going on. I don't always hear them or care but it does impact the fan base because Keim, Craig and JP ave  to report on it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lol, yeah I've become an expert on the Redskins brand outside the market or at least it feels that way in my own mind.  😀  I live in place where you got fans from everywhere.   I have lived in DMV years back and have family in the area still and go back there once a year for a game and try to hit training camp every other year or so.  And then I usually see a road game or two.  

And yeah I got no doubt the brand is in danger some or at a minimum has dissipated some.  It was actually in good shape during the Gibbs 2 years from what I observed.  Sunk under Zorn.  Rejuvenated under Shanny than slagged a little then went crazy in 2012 with RG3.  Then has been slowly sliding.  Scot gave the brand a little jolt.    But for whatever reason the brand hit a low in 2018.

I do think Bruce hasn't been hot for the brand but i am tired of debating that.   My point is they had to do something I think to jolt up the brand regardless of what brought them to this point.  There is no doubt in my mind the Redskins aren't a sexy team to jump on the bandwagon if you are a young kid these days searching for a team to get into. The team for whatever reason doesn't get much national attention.   And like I've documented here, some national shows even make fun of how irrelevant they think this team is.   Heck even when we weren't great we'd often get 4-5 prime time games.  Now, not only don't we get Sunday Night games anymore, we can't even get a 4 pm game.  

If I were Dan, I'd feel compelled too to do something about it.   And while I don't know about Haskins personally as to whether he's the goods -- got no doubt that he brings some panache and attention and national talk.  And they desperately needed it.   They don't really have players like that.  Maybe Guice helps on the front.  And like I said this stuff never crossed my mind in all my years following the team.  Through their ups and downs the team felt relevant nationally as a marquee franchise. 

Again personally like anyone here, I will watch any game regardless of who they put out there.  But the average fan IMO aren't people like us.  They are paying a lot less attention.  And I don't think the casual fan is saying hey lets go see Case Keenum this Sunday!   I think Keim had a funny line last year saying look are you telling your spouse lets go to a Redskins game and watch Alex not throw an interception.     Now, I would. 😀  But I don't see myself as an average fan.  The average fan isn't spending 4 hours on a Sunday writing stuff on a Redskins fan board. :ols:

But seeing if Haskins is the goods -- that I think is much more intriguing for casual fans.  Dan is running a business and we can scoff that it doesn't matter but I'd presume it does matter to him to have shrinking stadiums, TV ratings and the NFL thinking the team isn't even worth giving one 4 pm game or a Sunday Night game. 

So I think the Haskins move was a home run move from that context.  And heck i feel like I get Dan's predicament some because like you I have to sell the sexiness of the team to my kids -- and that isn't easy.  So I'll milk Haskins.  :ols:   And I think he is an easy dude to market to them.  Guice was to a degree until he got hurt.    But otherwise IMO its a QB driven league and star driven league unless you are winning without those dynamics.    

And my point has nothing to do whether Dan drove the pick or not.  i am just saying I don't blame him if he wanted it to go down even if its purely incidental and he was the best player on the board.  They IMO needed to do something to shake up some interest.  I saw the Redskins are tied for first in most ticket sales spiked after the first day of the draft.

1) No, you're definitely not the average fan lol...you and others here have a ton of respect for your views on college players. In fact, for this draft in the later rounds, when we'd select someone I'm not at all familiar with and you'd chime in and say you've been rooting for that player for months, my opinion of them drafting the player instantly goes up lol...

2) No doubt not having anything remotely close to a truly good QB on the roster at the time of the schedule's creation affected whether or not to place the Skins in any of the prime spots. And no doubt Dan noticed. Completely agree there. Dan would never be cool with going 1-31 over two seasons with the idea of accumulating draft picks and finding a franchise QB down the road. I just don't believe, though, that marketing was high on the list for getting Haskins. I would more likely start to believe it if they traded up into the top 5 to get him, or if they pulled a Gettleman and drafted Jones in the top 10. When Gruden said they briefly considered what it might take to move up into the top 5 but decided none of the QBs were worth the draft haul required, that said a lot to me. The marketing opportunities and buzz-creation is worth the draft capital needed to trade into the top 5...the player himself is not. If marketing played a huge role (and I'm not saying you think it did, for the record), Snyder would have forced that move to be taken, imo.

3) Seeing if Hsskins is the goods is abso-stinkin-lutey intriguing for both casual fans and hardcore ones (I'm looking at you, @bakedtater1 lol). I'm guessing that the crowds at training camp are gonna see a noticeable increase in size. And yeah, having the QB be from my daughter's alma mater is gonna be a good selling point towards her this offseason lol. 

4) That's a trip about the ticket sales spike...and remember, Lafemina didn't get that to happen lol...not criticizing him, he wasn't given enough time to implement things that would have resulted in any noticeable ticket sales spikes. But the optics of tix selling better from actions Bruce is in charge of than from things Lafemina tried implementing probsbly gets added to my earlier list lol. Again, Bruce gotta be walking around Redskins Park right now like...

giphy.gif

And Dan must be like...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One reporter mentioned that Jay said Kyle's name in every presser he did about the draft. 

If that's true, then this article's claims aren't true at all

Kyle Smith is the Redskins’ best kept secret and they are trying to keep it that way

https://theathletic.com/835997/2019/02/25/kyle-smith-is-the-redskins-best-kept-secret-and-they-are-trying-to-keep-it-that-way/

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If that's true, then this article's claims aren't true at all

Kyle Smith is the Redskins’ best kept secret and they are trying to keep it that way

https://theathletic.com/835997/2019/02/25/kyle-smith-is-the-redskins-best-kept-secret-and-they-are-trying-to-keep-it-that-way/

What's the reason they give for wanting to keep Kyle a secret?...

Wait, let me guess: so that Bruce can get all the credit lol...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

As far as player evaluators go, it sure does seem like we got the better of the 2 Grudens.

Probably not but we definitely got the dumber brother for play calling. 

The FO nailed Reuben Foster acquisition and this draft looks like an A+ so they're probably on the melt up! 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Individually I can give just about each of these a pass. Things happen. I think the winning off the field thing has been one of the most overrated things he said. But its like, we're in a constant countdown until the next mishap. That's why the fan base was so afraid this week, because we knew we were due. Heck we still are. I give some fault to the media but some has to go to Bruce. That's why I got so mad when they fired the guys from the front office. Because they were trying to at least build that bridge again. And then, just cut the rope. So we're back in hostility with WP, 1067 and the media. So its only natural for there to be guys like EB who look for every opportunity to talk about rumors and negative things going on. I don't always hear them or care but it does impact the fan base because Keim, Craig and JP ave  to report on it. 

To this point, it is part of an organizations duties to manage the media.  They have whole departments dedicated to it.  If your team president is considered a jerk and also hostile to the media it will take some toll.  The same dude labeled the Prince of Darnkess from a reporter who covered him in Tampa.   The same dude who prefers to do soft media appearances with the national media versus the locals and that happened even BEFORE he started getting bad press locally.   

And then he starts making some misstatements, you hear about tension in the FO or whatever -- it shouldn't be a shock to him that the media doesn't have his back.  Lafemina did media tours.    Came off likable and accessible.  He'd talk to fans including even me after I sent him an email.   And people liked the dude, what a surprise.

As I've documented here, Scot is such a cool dude.  I believe the reports about him having problems.   But as a person, he seems so open, sincere and such a nice guy.  And others who covered him said the same.  What a coincidence that they got good press and coverage when he was there.  

This isn't directed at you.  But I notice some who defend Bruce use the idea that it's the evil media that makes him look bad.  I don't agree.  But even if I did I got no doubt that he contributes to his bad PR via his own actions and own personality.   So I don't feel bad for the dude at all.  He made that bed.   Jay for his faults (though I like him) actually tends to get good press -- just by coincidence he comes off super nice, super open.  And yes IMO there is a correlation. 

10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

1) No, you're definitely not the average fan lol...you and others here have a ton of respect for your views on college players. In fact, for this draft in the later rounds, when we'd select someone I'm not at all familiar with and you'd chime in and say you've been rooting for that player for months, my opinion of them drafting the player instantly goes up lol...

Thanks.  It's actually not that hard the key is to just put in the time to watch multiple games versus the highlights.  It's not a fool proof strategy but it at least gives you a feel for the player.  If you are referring to Kelvin Harmon I wasn't on him for months.  There were other guys I was on for months so maybe that narrative got mixed in to him.  But I did want him before the draft.   The ironic thing about him is I watched give or take 17 other receivers before even getting to him last week.  As for Harmon the main thing that made me hesitate is his 4.6 speed which is pedestrian.   

But then getting to watching Harmon, I was surprised how he get open all around the field, deep, too.  Beats press coverage. You can see that he was really physical and in a fun way.  He has some Garcon personality to him as to how he plays.   Some guys to me just jump out more, like Guice last year you can see he played with oomph.  Harmon to me was one of the most fun watches among the receivers.  So draft week, I added him to my list.  Naturally, I could be wrong about him but I like his chances.   I'd have taken him as early as the third round so when I saw him dropping every round, it drove me nuts.  That was the dude I was yelling at my TV for, keeping my fingers crossed that they'd take him.  I did it on the draft thread too starting in the 4th rd.  But then in the 6th rd i stopped mentioning it figuring I was jinxing it. 😀

My highlights about the receivers is I liked Diontae Johnson, who wasn't a big name guy and the king team for receivers the Steelers took him early and said they had a first round grade on him.     For me my favorite highlight by a mile though was I was clowning Daniel Jones months before he became a national punch line which he has become after Thursday.  There were concerns from others about the dude, too and some clowning but it's now epic.  But I probably killed him the most.   The joke with some on the draft thread was what would I do to the TV if they took Daniel Jones.   So when I saw the Giants of all teams took him, I was beyond ecstatic.  And when you and others post those reactions from Giants fans to the pick, I just can't get enough of it. :ols:   Heck if we get a Haskins-Jones matchup especially if its in NY, I'll fly to that game.  I've invested a lot of time explaining why I think Daniel Jones at best will be a marginal starter in the NFL.  I could be wrong but I hope now I am not wrong. 

10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

2) No doubt not having anything remotely close to a truly good QB on the roster at the time of the schedule's creation affected whether or not to place the Skins in any of the prime spots. And no doubt Dan noticed. Completely agree there. Dan would never be cool with going 1-31 over two seasons with the idea of accumulating draft picks and finding a franchise QB down the road. I just don't believe, though, that marketing was high on the list for getting Haskins. I would more likely start to believe it if they traded up into the top 5 to get him, or if they pulled a Gettleman and drafted Jones in the top 10. When Gruden said they briefly considered what it might take to move up into the top 5 but decided none of the QBs were worth the draft haul required, that said a lot to me. The marketing opportunities and buzz-creation is worth the draft capital needed to trade into the top 5...the player himself is not. If marketing played a huge role (and I'm not saying you think it did, for the record), Snyder would have forced that move to be taken, imo.

No doubt IMO their QB situation affected their TV schedule.  Heck Alex isn't really an exciting QB either where he is a must TV watch.  Yes, he has a big name and beats Keenum though on that front.   As for Haskins, the narrative from the 106.7 guys who seem to have decent sources to the FO based on other reports they've done (and yeah they could be wrong) said before the draft that Dan has a massive man crush on Haskins (as for who others did, I guess that's debatable depends on the story but it seems pretty clear at the very least Doug had a man crush, too) but they aren't trading up.  They are hoping he falls to 15.  Finlay and the others locals said the same.  So like I said on the draft thread back then the national media and local media are on two different tracks.  The locals ended up right.  I'll give the benefit of the doubt that Jay was swayed at some point in the process, got some doubt thought.  No way to know.  Will see. 

As for the marketing of Haskins was an incidental benefit from the pick versus the main driver.  Maybe.  I guess my point though is it wouldn't bother me if it was a prime mover of the pick as long as some people there have some confidence in Haskins.  I think its very hard to sell hope let alone any excitement if you don't have a young QB that has promise. 

And it bothers me a little that i got to worry about flying up to a home game and feeling like it's almost a road game.  I get why some say it's more fun now to watch the team on the road.  I thinks it becoming that way for me, too.   And seeing some of the new stadiums in person, i want a stadium like that in the DMV.  It's a disaster backdrop IMO to chase a stadium in the middle of a season with declining attendance and TV ratings.  So I am hoping fan enthusiasm spikes up. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Umm...........

We literally have had a decade to see thats true.  At some point you have to believe your eyes, and your ears, and what everyone who is actually close to the situation is saying.

• Like 1

Bruce being bold, national media appearance in a venue that's not naturally predisposed towards him.  What next Skip Bayless?  Just by chance I recorded that episode so I'll watch shortly. 

That smug look on his face, supposedly according to some he's smug all the time.  Not just this time because the media loves the draft.  😀

Posted (edited)

How many people here have actually met Bruce Allen in a non-public environment, shook his hand, chatted with him?   I have.   He's not smug.   He's jovial and engaging and interesting and funny as hell.   I can say only people who have never met him would consider him smug.   So it would make sense the media says that as they have never talked to him :).   And listen to his answer in the clip above.    About how OTHER PEOPLE, not him, are around to help Haskins be all he can.   Smug guys don't do that.   They say, "I've created an environment," not "We have an environment."   The "we" versus "I" usage tells you almost everything about a person.   It's all you really need to know honestly about who that person is.

Here's the whole of it:

Edited by Art

Posted (edited)

Disagree that a First Take interview and how he sees the QB situation is all you need to know about what type of dude he is.  But I agree we have no way to know about any person without meeting them first. Not sure if that's really enough either.  I've met Bruce, shook his hand and spoke with him for a few minutes.   So I meet that criteria personally.

I didn't really have a takeaway from that as to what type of person he is.    I can think of one person who has commented on the threads in this forum about meeting Bruce and said he comes off like a glad handing politician.  I can see that from my exchange, I can also see him being seen as charming.  Depends on perspective.   It felt like both things to me from my exchange.  But tough to gauge any person without spending a good amount of time with a person.

I've worked with people in public positions who are charming as heck when dealing with people out in the open especially if it serves them to be that way but behind the scenes are totally different. 

There are multiple people that have worked and or covered Bruce who aren't fans of the dude and yes said he's smug and arrogant.  Could they be wrong?  Sure, why not.  But I think the proper gauge if we are trying to figure that out first hand is deal with them in an environment that would bring out that side of them.  

Posted (edited)

@Skinsinparadise I've met Bruce behind the curtain.   When he didn't have to be political or savvy or concerned with public appearances.   i've met a lot of the Redskins people past and present in that way and I can tell you Bruce is somewhat unique in NOT being a raging dick.   Hell, I still recall from when we were negotiating with the team to take over ES the VPs in that room said, "We're a billion dollar organization and you are four guys in the back of a truck."   And we giggled, responding, "Who have somehow surpassed anything you would or could do in this venue, right?"   We really should have sold T-Shirts with that slogan :).   One problem the Redskins have had -- and I can't speak if this is uniform or not -- is the general dickishness of the people at high levels when they can reveal who they really are.

The team really hasn't taken quality of character as seriously in business folks as they have with their draft picks this year :).   At least in the past.   I'm further and further from any connection so all that could be different.   I can say Bruce is one of the genuinely nice people, when he didn't have to be, I've encountered with the group.   Snyder is the biggest prick on planet, though.   Can't argue there.   The point remains how you conduct yourself personally in your public persona also matters.   And Bruce is actually quite deferential there.   If anyone cares to look.   And that matters.

Edited by Art
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Art said:

How many people here have actually met Bruce Allen in a non-public environment, shook his hand, chatted with him?   I have.   He's not smug.   He's jovial and engaging and interesting and funny as hell.   I can say only people who have never met him would consider him smug.   So it would make sense the media says that as they have never talked to him :).   And listen to his answer in the clip above.    About how OTHER PEOPLE, not him, are around to help Haskins be all he can.   Smug guys don't do that.   They say, "I've created an environment," not "We have an environment."   The "we" versus "I" usage tells you almost everything about a person.   It's all you really need to know honestly about who that person is.

I'm wondering why he didn't Jay or Doug do the First take interview like he did after the Reuben Foster...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm wondering why he didn't Jay or Doug do the First take interview like he did after the Reuben Foster...

First take asked for Bruce.   Tony Wylie had to give them some basic ground rules, which you saw Smith allude to.   Those rules were, "You can talk about the draft and draft picks and anything surrounding the draft, but control your other ****."   And Smith followed it.   Which is kind of a miracle.

3 minutes ago, Art said:

First take asked for Bruce.   Tony Wylie had to give them some basic ground rules, which you saw Smith allude to.   Those rules were, "You can talk about the draft and draft picks and anything surrounding the draft, but control your other ****."   And Smith followed it.   Which is kind of a miracle.

I could bet reporters asked for Bruce after the Reuben Foster incident but were denied it as well...

I am not shocked that Bruce chooses to participate in a venue like First Take after receiving his first ounce of pundit praise this decade, perhaps his entire life.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I could bet reporters asked for Bruce after the Reuben Foster incident but were denied it as well...

Local reporters ask for Bruce all the time, yeah.    There was no Reuben Foster incident I'm aware of.   There was an organization taking a no-risk shot at a talented player with potential baggage.   Doug's job is to speak to the local media on moves of that sort as the player personnel leader.   What Doug said at the time kind of made it worse as while he was right that what Foster was accused of was small potatoes in the world of issues, saying that led to scrutiny unnecessary for such a smart football move at the time that has panned out in our favor especially well.

Bruce has spoken to the media on the Foster situation.   As an example, at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/bruce-allen-does-not-know-why-redskins-would-expect-suspension-reuben-foster

He spoke before then as well as reported by Lisa Salters as summarized by JP Finaly.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/bruce-allen-discusses-decision-sign-reuben-foster-espns-lisa-salters

Bruce does not make himself out as the face of the organization so he doesn't give a lot of media availability.   That's by design you can be sure.   He was very uncomfortable having to face the organization when the Scot McClouhan situation was happening as it was an uncomfortable time all around and he prefers people in those roles to handle those roles.   Bruce doesn't speak after games either as that's Jay's job.   He wasn't up with the top picks on the memorial steps either as that's Tony's job.    He'll be there for signings and stuff as he's the Pres.   But I wouldn't read especially much into it.   

Doug gets paid to talk to the media about personnel choices within the personnel department.   It's ok if he does it.