Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Russell is in on the conspiracy against the Redskins.  Joining the ranks among Roger Goodell, the entire Mara family, everyone that has ever worked for a Washington newspaper, every member of the national and local media.  Am I missing anybody?

Nothing to see here folks.  Everyone loves working in Ashburn.  

The refs!

Surprisingly, I was pretty happy with a lot of what Bruce said in that interview. They wont reach for a QB at 15, They need to improve keeping their players healthy, The draft seems to be run efficiently...blah...blah...blah. But I still cant stand the sound of the mans voice. He reminds me of a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman. 

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Surprisingly, I was pretty happy with a lot of what Bruce said in that interview. They wont reach for a QB at 15, They need to improve keeping their players healthy, The draft seems to be run efficiently...blah...blah...blah. But I still cant stand the sound of the mans voice. He reminds me of a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman. 

Oh he sucks alright.  🤣

13 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

In case anyone doubted EB and 106.7....

There's nothing in that story that should stop anyone from doubting Bickel and 106.7's version of what's going on with Gruden.

Russell even says at one point "Maybe it's not fair of me, but it generated somehow, some way, through Jay Gruden's frustration and anger. Somebody found out about that. I don't know how they found out about it."

Russell also says "I'm not saying specifically that I know Jay gave that information...but Jay let it be known to whoever in turn got it to EB. Unless EB got it directly from Jay – I don't know."

When you're saying "maybe it's unfair of me...", "I don't know..." and, "I think that Jay feels...", you're giving plenty of reasons for someone to doubt the story.

Not to mention, isn't Hoffman part of 106.7?...if so, it would mean even someone at 106.7 is contradicting EB. And Dukes, who is also part of 106.7, seems to be doubting Russell's take on things in that article. We're not supposed to doubt Bickel or 106.7 even though some at 106.7 are doubting Bickel's story lol...

So EB just woke up in the morning and decided to make that up?  Same with Alex being worse off than reported last year?  He just got lucky with that one?

I dont really care either way, as none of it moves the needle for me.  I just think it would be naive to assume that EB is full of it because Jay aw shucks’d his way through a press conference.  He never came out and unequivocally denounced the rumors. He kind of played along and danced around the stuff like the team has ever since he joined the organization. Russell’s version makes the most sense.  In that Jay will be the sacrificial lamb when this thing goes bad and he knows it.  

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So EB just woke up in the morning and decided to make that up?  Same with Alex being worse off than reported last year?  He just got lucky with that one?

I dont really care either way, as none of it moves the needle for me.  I just think it would be naive to assume that EB is full of it because Jay aw shucks’d his way through a press conference.  He never came out and unequivocally denounced the rumors. He kind of played along and danced around the stuff like the team has ever since he joined the organization. Russell’s version makes the most sense.  In that Jay will be the sacrificial lamb when this thing goes bad and he knows it.  

Who said anything about Bickel making anything up?...

I mean, this part says it all imo"I shouldn't jump to this," he said, "but I'm just saying, the EB story didn't come out of nowhere. Maybe it's not fair of me, but it generated somehow, some way, through Jay Gruden's frustration and anger. Somebody found out about that. I don't know how they found out about it. Maybe it was Jay wanted them to find out about it."

Russell clearly is pointing the finger at Bickel's source being fed information that might not be accurate, but that he feels what his source was told reflects Gruden's frustration with the Redskins decision-makers. Russell makes it a point that he doesn't know if this is true but believes that it is. In other words, he's downplaying the accuracy issues as not really that important because what's really important is Jay's frustration is fueling these reports. Or so he believes, anyway. He makes a point of saying he doesn't know and that it could even be "unfair" to claim the starting point of the inaccuracies is Jay himself. 

In other words, Russell is basically saying "The story about Jay not being involved in free agency at all to the point that he only learns about FA signings from media members may not actually be true...but, hey, that's not really important...what's important is that Jay is feeling so frustrated with the Skins' FO that his frustration is leading others to reach that inaccurate conclusion. Hell, Jay may have purposefully made people believe it to be true, he's so frustrated." I can understand why he'd take the "inaccurate but true" stance since so many others have come forth and stated that they either know through sources or know firsthand that Jay is indeed involved in free agency...

Unfortunately, in the article, Russell brings up Crowder as an example of Jay's frustration and lack of control over who the team signs/drafts and who they let go. If anyone remembers Scot's story about drafting Crowder, they may understand why Russell should have used a different player to make his point.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I tend to agree.  While I am not a big Jay fan I think the writing is on the wall.  If the team fails, and nothing in the past 20 something years has proven to any of us that another rinse and repeat is looming,  this ass hole front office will do what they always do.  They will blame Jay and probably stir up a rumor about him over a couple of Coors Lights. 

It just kills me as a fan to know that the guys running the Redskins, and drafting the players, amount to nothing more then a business executive with no credentials to indicate he should be evaluating professional football talent, and a fan boy who just can't run his franchise the way other successful franchises are organized and ran.  

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Who said anything about Bickel making anything up?...

It's been insinuated several times that he and folks like him just make this stuff up to get people riled up and get listeners.

I'm sure EB exaggerated what he was told, like he does with everything - rumor or not.  But if there is no truth in what he said, Jay really is a dummy.  He should be concerned about how the offseason has panned out particularly on his side of the ball.  He should be concerned that guys like Bruce and Doug appear to be entrenched and the guy to fall on the sword is going to be him.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's been insinuated several times that he and folks like him just make this stuff up to get people riled up and get listeners.

I'm sure EB exaggerated what he was told, like he does with everything - rumor or not.  But if there is no truth in what he said, Jay really is a dummy.  He should be concerned about how the offseason has panned out particularly on his side of the ball.  He should be concerned that guys like Bruce and Doug appear to be entrenched and the guy to fall on the sword is going to be him.

1) If people are insinuating that Bickel made up his story, then I agree with you. For me personally, my issue is that sometimes sports reporters aren't as careful with whatever info they get from sources/"sources" as they should be, and fans tend to take sourced info as undeniable fact. Russell has said in the past that sometimes sources either slant their info for their own reasons or are just flat-out wrong, and guys like him can be burnt because of it. Not that it happens all the time or anything, but that it does at least on even rare occasion happen.

2) I personally didn't assume Bickel was exaggerating, I thought he was passing along info that had been exaggerated TO him, and that he should have been more skeptical before publishing it. Just going on logic should have told him that Bruce involving Jay in free agency very little or not at all was unlikely to be true.

Keim, Hoffman, Finlay who all questioned EB's story but they also said that EB had the right conclusion which is Jay is indeed frustrated by the FO and personnel moves. But EB picked the wrong angle for the frustration. That is, Jay indeed gives input. And sometimes they take it. But also sometimes they don't. 

We've heard that Jay was unhappy about losing weapons on offense like Desean Jackson. So Russell suggesting that Jay is frustrated by losing Crowder seems feasible to me. This team has gone in a short amount of time from having one of the best passing teams in the league to having one of the worst.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim, Hoffman, Finlay who all questioned EB's story but they also said that EB had the right conclusion which is Jay is indeed frustrated by the FO and personnel moves. But EB picked the wrong angle for the frustration. That is, Jay indeed gives input. And sometimes they take it. But also sometimes they don't.

You said it quicker and shorter than I did lol...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

You said it quicker and shorter than I did lol...

So here’s the thing that I’m genuinely curious about. Do we want Jay to have full control? Or any head coach? 

Lets take the Crowder example if we are to believe that. If it were up to Jay we would have inked him to what, a 9 million deal annually? It’s like letting Spencer Long walk last year. Yeah he’s better than what we had. But at 8 million? In today’s NFL you basically have a core of 5-10 guys on large contracts and then have to have everyone else on vet min and rookie deals. That’s why having 4 comp picks this year and set to get an extra 4th and 5th in 2020 is so huge. I guess I just don’t understand why nobody else sees that and instead chooses to rally behind Jay is the sacrificial lamb who gets no choice. 

33 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

So here’s the thing that I’m genuinely curious about. Do we want Jay to have full control? Or any head coach? 

I don’t.  I don’t gather most people do either.  The issue isn’t so much about full control as it is the offensive side of the ball stinks.  If I’m Jay Gruden, I’m hating where I’m at with my roster and the idea that when it all goes to hell, it’s my fault. 

Also, if there is any truth to the rumors about Jay garnering more say in the building when Scot was there and shortly thereafter, only to see that fading over the last few years, it’d be easy to see why he feels a bit salty.  I’m sure it would be easier to swallow if his bosses were putting together a roster he believes in.  

On 3/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yep - good post. EB and the Junks don't need to come up with jaw dropping news leaks to get mouse clicks.  He heard something, and he put it out there.  I am glad he did and anyone that doubts it, may forget this is Bruce Allen's team.  I trust what EB says more than Bruce Allen. How bout dem apples.

Anyone that listens to the show knows they don't just throw **** out there. And there has been plenty of chances to do some serious slinging over the past 10+ years.

Jay is nearing the end of his contract, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn he finally cracked after all the bull**** he has had to put up with.  Including my favorite, he is our PR guy.  Its still mind boggling Bruce sent Jay out to be the lightning rod after getting Foster.

That may well have been the straw that broke the camels back, actually.

If I delve deeper into this by combing Russell and another reporter's narrative (forgetting who the 2nd one was). I heard this on the radio.

Jay likes Kyle Smith. And Kyle likes Jay. Jay would like Kyle to call the shots. Jay has been frustrated at times by Bruce but he is in an odd place with that since Bruce got him this job. Russell specifically also said that Jay doesn't get why Doug is like teflon in that building.

While I am Ok with letting Crowder go at 9 million. I was not Ok with letting Desean Jackson go. I saw Doug once say something to the effect of any QB gets 4000 plus yards in Jay's system. And I saw Bruce once smirk when asked about losing Jackson and Garcon by citing how close Pryor and Quick's numbers were to them.  So he didn't expect much drop off.

I used to argue this point in another thread. That is, I respect Jay as an offensive mind but I don't think he or anyone has a magic system that transcends talent. So heck yeah I thought it was possible that if you strip enough talent from the passing game it would stink. And here we are.

And I presume this is a major source of frustration for Jay. So I doubt it's about losing Crowder in a vacuum but instead its likely about what talent he now has to work with in the passing game. Crowder isn't a superstar but he arguably was their top receiver and it was already a weak-injury prone group. So what next for that unit?

It's no accident that Vegas and power ranking types rate this team going into this season as either the worst team in the league or top 5 worst. I think that is a bit harsh but I'd put money they are low on this team because of their passing game.  It's a passing league.

Is all of this true? Don't know. But it seems intuitive to me.  Keim for example is really conservative when it comes to throwing speculation out there. And I've heard him multiple times say Jay is frustrated.

I really like Hoffman. But 106.7 just seems like the Kardashians when it comes to the Redskins. We already know that it's not a well run operation. Jay is frustrated? Didn't we already know that by his own comments about the lack of communication with the FO. What EB is saying really is just more gossip. 

As far as Bruce is concerned, he's a loser and he will do anything to stay employed. We're never going to win with the current set up. And I was afraid that this would happen, but i"m not terribly impressed with Williams either. And it hurts me to say that cause I will never forget 1987. I wish he had just stayed away from this sheetshow.  And Jay is Jay, he's as average of a coach as there is. Redskin Park just needs a total house cleaning in the worst way. Hopefully it happens after a 5 or 6 win season. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And I presume this is a major source of frustration for Jay. So I doubt it's about losing Crowder in a vacuum but instead its likely about what talent he now has to work with in the passing game. Crowder isn't a superstar but he arguably was their top receiver and it was already a weak-injury prone group. So what next for that unit?

This may have been talked about before, but I listened to the Junkies the other day and they had someone on talking about Jay and his voice in the room and they said Jay was the driving force behind the Skins aggressively going after Paul Richardson last off-season and of course jumping on the table to draft Quinn in the 2018 draft.  So the FO could also be looking at Jay like we gave you what you wanted last year and look how that turned out.  Quinn looked promising in the limited action he got but got injured.  Paul Richardson,  was okay but got injured.  Jay's always been snippy with the FO, like back when he said he wants more out of the 1st rd then an injured player and a guard.  Both sides want to get some playmakers, but neither seems to know how to do it.  

Jay also from what I heard led the charge to draft Ioannidis. Everyone blows picks and signings.  So Jay and for that matter everyone will make mistakes. I also found it interesting when ESPN quoted personnel people from around the league about each team's draft last year - they specifically cited Jay as the  best personnel guy at Redskins Park.  Its actually become a running joke whenever Cooley interviews Jay.

I am with those who believe the GM should run personnel not the head coach. However, I don't consider Bruce Allen a true personnel guy.  So heck yeah I would trust Jay on personnel matters over Bruce who to me is essentially a politician.  

16 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Who cares about whst Bickel says and if its true or not ...i just need to see Allens record here to throw up.

But it was the same **** when Vinny was here hired by Danny.  So really it is Little Boy Danny's record because he does not hire NFL experienced GM's. So you wind up with a Vinny or Bruce.  And so what Bickel says is true because we heard leaks of frustration when Shanahan was coach and felt undermined.

Jay may be miffed that he doesn't get input on the high profile signings. Especially after having a lot of input normally. If Bruce had half a brain of course he would be polling Jay for info. 

Maybe the high profile no Jay input = Dans PR stunts.

I bet Jay had no idea about Alex.  Doug had no idea, so why would Jay?

On 3/28/2019 at 11:31 AM, Califan007 said:

There's nothing in that story ...

Russell's take on things in that article. We're not supposed to doubt Bickel or 106.7 even though some at 106.7 are doubting Bickel's story lol...

106.7 has an awful lot of personalities and air time to fill. Would it surprise you that to learn that they may purposefully contradict each other, to fill basically 24/7 of air time?

Where there is smoke there is fire.  I know of no track record of EB fabricating stories about Jay.

Archived