Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

9 minutes ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

Bruce Allen

Oh.... if that was the contexts I totally missed it :blush:

8 minutes ago, wunderhill said:

Obviously he doesn't think much of Stephen A. Smith. I'm pretty sure he meant it as just a joke about being "prince of darkness". Kinda like Vader saying "come to the dark side". It wasn't meant literally.

Just trying to help ya out. :)

That makes sense.

Sorry, I missed that one by a mile.  I guess I need more coffee lol 

I was reading some articles on the post just kind of reliving the season.  I got to this one:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-redskins-were-good-then-they-were-bad-and-recent-history-makes-it-all-feel-bigger/2018/09/21/c95110c2-bdd3-11e8-b7d2-0773aa1e33da_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bd81c8d4b073

And something jumped out at me. This:

Brian Lafemina, the new president of business operations, is trying to improve Washington’s game-presentation methods, and by being honest about some of the problems, he’s also appealing to the humanity of the burgundy-and-gold population. Sometimes it’s best to minimize the arrogance, come to the masses with humility and ask for help. There’s a sense that the franchise is listening now and willing to change for the people instead of assuming it always knows what’s best for them.

In regards to the fans on gameday both in the stadium and the surrounding areas, was this working?  Did we get a sense that things were really different this time or did this strategy fall flat?  If it wasn't resonating, do you think if he had a few more years peoples attitudes would change?

7 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

In regards to the fans on gameday both in the stadium and the surrounding areas, was this working?  Did we get a sense that things were really different this time or did this strategy fall flat?  If it wasn't resonating, do you think if he had a few more years peoples attitudes would change?

I think the fans appreciated that the team was finally trying to be transparent about the lack of a waiting list and inviting the public to buy tickets.   It seems like Snyder and Allen didn't appreciate the new strategy, however.   

But, from my perspective and I think from many fans' perspective, nothing the team can do to improve the "fan experience" is anywhere close to as important as winning.  I think people's attitudes towards the team would keep deteriorating as long as they kept losing, no matter what gameday stuff LaFemina and his people were able to implement.   

4 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

If you had to pick one, who would you pick?

Honestly, I'm at the point where I want Vinny back.  We seemed to be a lot more aggressive in our roster building.  And  on his watch we at least won a couple of playoff games.

I credit Gibbs more for helping keep a festering ship afloat than Vinny LOL!

Please don’t make me choose. That’s like choosing between being castrated or having my nuts cauterized while conscious and without anesthesia.

25 minutes ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

I think the fans appreciated that the team was finally trying to be transparent about the lack of a waiting list and inviting the public to buy tickets.   It seems like Snyder and Allen didn't appreciate the new strategy, however.   

But, from my perspective and I think from many fans' perspective, nothing the team can do to improve the "fan experience" is anywhere close to as important as winning.  I think people's attitudes towards the team would keep deteriorating as long as they kept losing, no matter what gameday stuff LaFemina and his people were able to implement.   

Apparently this was on his whiteboard before he got canned:

We have to do the right thing for 1,000 days and people are going to believe us.

He didn't even make it 365 days :( 

20 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I credit Gibbs more for helping keep a festering ship afloat than Vinny LOL!

Please don’t make me choose. That’s like choosing between being castrated or having my nuts cauterized while conscious and without anesthesia.

No!  You must choose!  Or the bunny gets it!

1377052_71738_fc1fe891a0_p.jpg

4 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Oh.... if that was the contexts I totally missed it :blush:

That makes sense.

Sorry, I missed that one by a mile.  I guess I need more coffee lol 

Prince of darkness was how the media in Tampa nicknamed Bruce Allen when he was there.

And btw don't shoot the bunny!

8 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

If you had to pick one, who would you pick?

Honestly, I'm at the point where I want Vinny back.  We seemed to be a lot more aggressive in our roster building.  And  on his watch we at least won a couple of playoff games.

Vinny always came off as a stupid lackey blind squirrel  that tripped over himself, but always tended to find an acorn at the right time to save himself (until he ultimately pulled off the biggest draft day fail in Skins history). But I felt his heart was in the right place

Bruce seems like the evil dictators favorite general that is incompetent, but delights said dictator with his torture prowess, and no one wants to be around him (because he's, you know, evil, and also smells of ridiculously cheap cologne

Building a Redskins stadium has never been easy. In his darkest hours during a near decade-long quest for a new venue, owner Jack Kent Cooke gave a glancing thought to moving the team to Los Angeles. Three failed stadium sites will do that. Finally, a dairy farm by the beltway proved to be the answer in 1997.

Predecessor George Preston Marshall, losing money in an old stadium, nearly sent the Redskins to Dallas in 1958 before his last-minute demands killed the deal.

Now, Dan Snyder’s quest for a new stadium — his lease at FedEx Field ends in 2027 — has skidded into fresh uncertainty. Once flush with three suitors hoping to provide a home, Snyder is down to one that doesn’t even control the land in question. Oh, this is going to take a while.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has withdrawn from stadium talks, his office confirmed to The Washington Post on Tuesday night.

Snyder’s options include extending talks with the District while hoping to attract a second bidder to gain leverage for an attractive deal; staying at FedUp Field, which the public has long despised; selling the team; or, as Cooke and Marshall did, considering a deal elsewhere.

The London Redskins? Not impossible.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser would be smart to seal a stadium deal now and then work with the federal government to secure the land. She shouldn’t let Maryland or Virginia have second thoughts — more suitors would raise the price for the city.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/2019/02/13/its-time-dc-make-its-push-seal-redskins-stadium-deal/?utm_term=.8fa27f676858

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Redskins relocate to Paris, @Wildbunny loses control

London wouldn't be bad for him either?  I flew once from London to Amsterdam, short flight.  Easier for him than it is for me right now flying up from South Florida.

IMHO, that location across from the National Harbor just made no sense.  As I understand it, it was a park land swap with some acreage up in Cumberland or something.  No metro, no current roads and a lot of MD'rs who were not happy with the idea. 

Does it really end other discussions with some other location in MD or just ends talks on that particular parcel? 

I think the Broncos just made the same move with Flacco that we made last year with Alex Smith except Smith had a far superior year previous to the trade. Question to be seen is whether Elway will go full-Allen and sign Flacco to a costly extension and make it almost all guaranteed. 

In a sense, this goes to show that acquiring Smith was not an unNFL like move. The problem was really the bad luck of the injury and contract that really hamstrings the team going forward.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think the Broncos just made the same move with Flacco that we made last year with Alex Smith except Smith had a far superior year previous to the trade. Question to be seen is whether Elway will go full-Allen and sign Flacco to a costly extension and make it almost all guaranteed. 

In a sense, this goes to show that acquiring Smith was not an unNFL like move. The problem was really the bad luck of the injury and contract that really hamstrings the team going forward.

I think the Alex Smith move was one that you do if you feel like you are close.  That was my issue with it then and still through today.  Sometimes it helps to take a step back to take two steps forward.   The Browns as an example according to a reporter were interested in Alex Smith but didn't promise they wouldn't take a young QB early in the draft, too -- and supposedly Alex's agent didn't like that.  Who would we rather be now -- us or the Browns?

If the idea of acquiring Alex just keeps things same old same old then what's the point?  As this PFF guy says:

Archived