Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

41 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You know Baltimore is in Maryland right?

Yep I do.  One of my jobs to get through grad school included selling Baltimore Oriole baseball tickets.  Been to Baltimore plenty.  But people typically don't mean that far north Maryland as for the DMV.  

So not sure the NFL would see Baltimore as covering the DMV area.  Bad enough to travel from parts of Virginia to get to Fedex -- let alone to Baltimore to get to games.  I did it back in the day via the Marc train when I lived in NW DC.  But yeah I doubt the league sees that whole region covered by the Ravens but who knows.

13 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

You know that Baltimore is not considered part of DMV, right?

Depends on who you ask.  Some swear it is only DC metro area.  Some use it to mean Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.  Me?  I was always told DC, Md, and Va.  And that includes everything inside those borders.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Depends on who you ask.  Some swear it is only DC metro area.  Some use it to mean Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.  Me?  I was always told DC, Md, and Va.  And that includes everything inside those borders.

Out here it looks like your talking about the department of motor vehicles.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

DMV is Washington DC and the areas of MD and VA that are immediately adjacent to the District, not the entire states. 

The Delaware, MD VA is the DelMarVa Peninsula or just Delmarva. The peninsula across the Bay bridge has the entire state of Delaware and also parts of MD and VA. Anyone confusing DMV with Delmarva either has never lived there or really struggles with geography. Two completely different things. 

So as stated by another, Baltimore is not part of the DMV. 

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) has informed the Washington Redskins that he is withdrawing from efforts to persuade the team to build its next stadium in Oxon Cove Park, adjacent to MGM National Harbor, “at this time,” his spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday night.

Hogan’s decision represents a reversal after acknowledging in December that he had negotiated a non-binding land swap with Interior Department officials that could have cleared the way for the Redskins to build their proposed 60,000-seat NFL stadium on the parcel of federal land in Prince George’s County.

Moreover, barring a change of heart, Hogan’s decision strips Redskins owner Daniel Snyder of significant leverage in getting his new stadium built — leverage Snyder was counting on when, and if, he starts negotiating with officials in the District on financial incentives and accommodations for the project.

14 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Nope. PG County,  MoCo, DC, NoVa, parts of Charles County is really what people mean when they say it around here. 

B-More is like being in Alaska and seeing Russia. 😂

That nickname you're looking for at the jump is "Delmarva" which covers parts of Delaware, Md, and Va.

Bruce in one of his own interviews acceded that the DC stadium thing is a nonstarter for now until-if the zoning issues or whatever needs to be done via Congress is resolved.  So if that's the case.  And Maryland now supposedly is considering the land near National Harbor for other purposes and not a stadium.  And Virginia supposedly not interested.  What's left?   Staying at Fedex and or like the article suggested build a new stadium right next to the old one and then tear the old one down when its done.

But yeah specific to Bruce, if these dynamics are truly in play then I don't see the value to him anymore.  This is a business that I understand somewhat since I work in it including being close to someone who worked on some stadium deals -- my point is that it requires competence and savvy to work something like this just like any job for that matter and that's not Bruce's wheelhouse IMO.  The fact that they dragged their feet on the federal rezoning, played their cards primarily with just one party, and sounds like didn't notice they were in trouble into the 11th hour -- that all wasn't smart IMO.

So I'll take a shot here.  Yeah I think Dan-Bruce have played the stadium at least from what's been reported as incompetently as they run the team.   In their defense, in this environment you have to play your cards perfectly because new stadiums haven't been proven to be the boon as they've been promised to be in other locations.  So its a more difficult political environment. 

When you are dealing with pure politics which is in play here since you need legislators/council members to vote on this -- the popularity of the principles here -- Dan and to a lesser extent Bruce matter.  Ultimately, if you vote for this or push this you are likely going to have to defend that in a campaign so if Dan's approval ratings so to speak are abysmal -- it does have an impact.

As I've said months back, the fact that the team is arguably at its lowest point with fans couldn't be worse timing for Dan seeking a stadium.   And lets say Dan recognizes firing Bruce would give fans a needed bone -- if at the same time Bruce is the main guy driving the boat on the stadium and he feels lost without him on that front -- then talk about being between a rock and a hard place.    Because in one regard he can give himself a needed PR boost at a time when he needs it the most but in another sense he might feel lost at how to navigate this since Bruce might have been doing all the leg work.

My gut is Profootball talk was wrong when they suggested that Dan might have just checked out in recent years about this team and is just letting things fly.  But I do get part of that point which is it seems like Dan lets Bruce handle a lot.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Bruce is just taking this all in himself with Dan not that involved -- and by extension that gives Bruce some serious power. 

It brings me back to one of Grant Paulsen's takes on one of his shows (pretty sure it was him or if not it was another 106.7 guy) saying he was told by someone he knows who works in the FO who told him -- why keep messing with Bruce doesn't he know that Bruce is very powerful in that building. 

47 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Entertaining-harsh article.  Wow.   Hoping some rabid football fan rich dude comes in to save the day -- Dan your franchise is in shambles, let me buy you out now at a good price.

One of Liz Clarke's points in a podcast was that she thinks Bruce rolls behind the scenes by selling optimism.  She gave the example about how he kept telling people they had the previous QB's contract situation under control when he didn't. 

Heck he's even putting a nice bow on the Alex Smith trade recently saying it was no brainer and smiled ear to ear talking about it -- where it came off to me like he was basking in all the good will that Alex is deservingly getting for dealing with that injury.   I recall the wide grin he had on his face when they announced Doug was getting a new position -- where it gave off the vibe of top this one for all those who are whining about Scot leaving.   The dude has pushed multiple times lately that they are "close".  And my thought is if Bruce is willing to say that stuff publicly I can just imagine how much he hams it up behind the scenes.

In one of Dan's rare interviews, I recall him once slipping in how Vinny was the ever optimist.  So I am gathering maybe Dan likes to have guys around him that sell that all is right with the world and if there are problems that will either be successfully addressed or they are other people's fault.

And for the few defenders of the FO-Dan left, I'll say yeah I am just guessing.  But in my defense, they are so stealth about how they go about their business and Dan has gone full tilt Greta Garbo -- so what other choice do we have but pick through crumbs and try to piece things together the best you can.  If Dan doesn't like being dissected that way via media-rumors, etc -- it's his fault IMO.  If you choose to do your thing in the shadows all the time, you are unlikely going to get the benefit of the doubt unless you get results.

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Not that it matters. Kindergarten Ninja... Little Brucie... Danny will just replace with the third version.

If you had to pick one, who would you pick?

Honestly, I'm at the point where I want Vinny back.  We seemed to be a lot more aggressive in our roster building.  And  on his watch we at least won a couple of playoff games.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, veteranskinsfan said:

Recently Stephen A Smith said the Skins should go after Nick Foles.  But he did not say how we could afford him.  He just said Skins could run similar offense that Eagles ran for him.   The Prince of Darkness has indicated they are not going to tank by taking the full cap hit for Smith next season.

I'm not a fan of Stephen A, but I'm not sure what skin color has to do with his opinion.  Plus he doesn't know for sure if what we are doing with smith only our FO knows.

53 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm not a fan of Stephen A, but I'm not sure what skin color has to do with his opinion.  Plus he doesn't know for sure if what we are doing with smith only our FO knows.

I could be wrong but, you might want to edit out the part about skin color. Also, there is nothing in his post that says anything about skin color.

10 hours ago, FrFan said:

" FedEx Field is only 21 years old having opened in Sept. 1997, but the report says owner Dan Snyder blames the stadium for declining ticket sales and attendance. " link

Cronyism denial 🤢

Well, he's not entirely wrong. it's not his biggest issue, but the stadium sucks and going to games is a pain in the ass. That was the case even before the fans reached pure apathy. 

I was offered Dream Seats for the Cowboys SNF game to decide the 2012 NFC East champion...I ultimately went, but spent 2 days debating internally before saying yes. I was offered the same seats for the following playoff game against Seattle and chose to watch at my house. 

So, Snyder isn't wrong that the stadium is a factor in the attendance issue. It's not the only or biggest factor, but it's a factor nonetheless. 

36 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Maybe I'm mistaken but what did he mean by "Prince of Darkness"

Obviously he doesn't think much of Stephen A. Smith. I'm pretty sure he meant it as just a joke about being "prince of darkness". Kinda like Vader saying "come to the dark side". It wasn't meant literally.

Just trying to help ya out. :)

Archived