Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

FYI...

NFL owners CAN force a fellow owner to sell their team if they deem that the owner of a team is harming the reputation or integrity of the game by their actions.

If the Redskins continue down this slippery slope of fan revolt...empty stadium....plus the renewed interest in getting rid of the Redskin name they could be deemed harmful to the game then owners can vote and force the team to be put up for auction.

You want Snyder out....then you need to do your part by boycotting the games.  If you don’t do your part then you become part of the problem and subject all area fans to continued dysfunctional mediocrity.

One thing that stands out if true is Snyder’s skipping the owners meetings which will make him already an outcast.   If his personality and image are as bad as reported then I can see a glimmer of hope in all this.  

Do your part.  Don’t get sucked in again with empty promises.   Twenty years is enough.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

First, I agree 100% here. More addressing the last statement as an add on. 

I have my doubts also - not that maybe he might have privately been a little chapped, but just how upset he was. I am pretty sure I remember there being quotes from Kyle directly that he appreciated Scot encouraging him to get out to see more players in person. That Scot taking over some of the administrative part of scouting allowed him to see more players and develop his own eye for talent. He was speaking of Scot as more of a mentor. Maybe I am imagining that.

The two are not mutually exclusive. He could on one hand be happy about the increased learning but be a little pissed if that person seems to be getting all the credit. The good managers I have had make sure to identify when I make significant contributions. I try to do the same with anyone who reports to me. My guess is though, that any issues arose from the way Bruce manages, He may have even stoked those fires - I am purely speculating here. No proof what so ever. 

Anyway, I never got the impression there were strained relationships between Scot and the scouting team - quote the opposite. If the truly was an issue, I would need to hear context. Was he slightly annoyed but it's wasn't really a big deal - Bruce just using it at scapegoat material, or he was really pissed. If it's the later I would be disappointed with Kyle. 

Agree and I'd add this:

If you recall I think it was Michael Robinson who said Bruce told Scot no one likes him when he canned him.    As for how things went down -- who knows.  But the one common thread with these stories is that there is a villain, different factions, bad blood, etc.   And over the years we get new plots -- new players, rinse and repeat.

On something like the Scot situation, it could have been something innocent like Kyle joking to Bruce about how Scot is given all the credit for a draft pick where he's the dude that spent all the hours dissecting said prospect.  And Bruce goes aha, there is another in my camp!    Plus Bruce is best friends with Kyle's dad.  So Kyle would have to be careful dealing with Bruce if Bruce already made up his mind. 

The thing is we've experienced this in school or in business where you have "in groups" and factions.  And to survive some sell out to be in the "in group".  Or someone takes something out of context to kick whoever is on the outs.  But it takes energy and effort to play that game.  And Jay for his faults has more on his plate than the typical coach because of all of that nonsense and its part of the reason why I give him more of a break than most do.

The funny thing to me with the Dan debates over the years is it has to be one scene or the other. 

A.  He hires grossly incompetent people with bad character

B.  He hires good people and his own bad culture-character filters to them and it sours the broth.

With some who have defended Dan and to an extent Bruce too -- the debate often centers on are they right or were their hires right?  But the debate itself is screwed up IMO because how can Dan-Bruce be the good guys in their battles with their own hires?  At best, you can say they are grossly incompetent at making good hires.   And that's if you win the debate trying to defend them.  Personally I think its B not A. 

The two things that annoy me the most when insiders talk about the culture there its this:

A.  Dan and Bruce are arrogant as heck and think their crap doesn't stink.  That's just stunning to me.

B.  Dan fuels a dog eat dog culture over there because of his own immaturity and emotional issues -- Bruce is a bird of the same feather supposedly.  And that I think is the kicker where you can't attract good people to that building anymore.  The idea is its hard enough to circumvent Dan but now you got to circumvent two crazy dudes -- that's too much.  

Listening for example about the situation with Gregg Williams -- the vibe I get listening to Laconfora among others is that he might have taken the job if Bruce wasn't around.  But Bruce being in the picture along with Dan would be too much for him to like.

Peter King says Doug Williams is influential for Redskins, but 'the buck still stops' with Bruce Allen

ATLANTA — The Redskins front office operates in a different structure than most other teams around the NFL.

There is no general manager; instead Washington has team president Bruce Allen oversee the whole organization while Eric Schaffer, Alex Santos, Kyle Smith and Doug Williams all handle significant portions of the football operation.

..."[Williams is] the face. He’s influential, he is influential, but the buck doesn’t stop with hm. The buck still stops with Bruce Allen."

King compared the Redskins front office organization to the system in Dallas. The Cowboys employ lots of scouts and personnel executives, but ultimately, Jerry and Stephen Jones make the final call.

In Washington, Allen has that type of authority. 

He's maintained that position for nearly a decade now, and without much playoff success to back it up. The Redskins have twice made the playoffs in Allen's nine seasons as team president, but are yet to win a postseason game.

..."In some ways Washington has been snake bit, but in the NFL you usually get what you deserve," King said.

Some observers were surprised that the Redskins elected to make no major changes this offseason, despite a second consecutive 7-9 record and a third straight year out of the playoffs. King thinks the team really needs to deliver this offseason to prevent a change from happening next year, though.

"I think this is the year that if they don’t have a big impact draft, and you’ve been saying this forever, that Daniel Snyder is going to have to do something to get a full time general manager," King said. "Whether he gives that to Doug Williams or brings in some boy genius, I don’t know."

It's hard to define what constitutes a "big impact draft" but the Redskins do need significant talent boosts at a number of positions, and most importantly, the team needs a quarterback. 

What can be defined, at least to Peter King, is that for the Redskins, the buck stops with Bruce Allen. 

Bruce making his yearly appearance on his pal's show in SD

https://973thefansd.radio.com/media/audio-channel/redskins-president-joins-dan-sileo-show

Bruce sticking to his injury excuse.

Was amusing to hear the radio host say Bruce knowing you -- you stared down Reuben Foster and sized him up and decided to sign him after that.  Bruce had to tell him there was no face to face before they claimed him

talked about wanting to compete for the division title next year

Only news is he suggested they'd try to sign Josh Johnson in FA. 

2 minutes ago, bh32 said:

If they do sign Johnson in FA than you can basicly kiss drafting a QB high goodbye which is fine by me..

I don't think it would stop them at all.  From what people have said who talk to sources in that FO -- there is fear about Colt's injury history and they are likely running with 3 QBs.   Seems like a given from what they are hearing they will draft a QB in the first three rounds.  For me personally I don't care if they do or don't -- I prefer to shop in the 2020 NFL draft for one.

9 minutes ago, bh32 said:

If they do sign Johnson in FA than you can basicly kiss drafting a QB high goodbye which is fine by me..

Josh Johnson? Why? He stinks, he's gonna be 31 or something and no one else wants him. Signing him would not only be cheap, it wouldn't prevent anything else we want to do at QB. Hopefully we do nothing. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Josh Johnson? Why? He stinks, he's gonna be 31 or something and no one else wants him. Signing him would not only be cheap, it wouldn't prevent anything else we want to do at QB. Hopefully we do nothing. 

I just don't think they are gonna carry three QB's on the active roster..

20 minutes ago, bh32 said:

So, you think they will only carry 2 QBs, even if one of them is an injury prone Colt McCoy and the other is a rookie? And that they would be so determined not to carry a 3rd QB that they would pass on drafting a 1st round QB that they like because they had signed Josh Johnson to a cheap contract?

giphy.gif

I just listened to Bruce’s interview.  Where the rolling smiley when you need it?

First of all, the mere fact that this guy would never man up and do a piece like this on one of our local stations should be insulting to every fan of this team.  

It is hilarious listening to his old buddy talk him up like he’s ever been successful at anything other than having the last name Allen.  At the end of the interview Sileo says “spoken like a true politician, he’s going to be running for Mayor of DC” as if he’s completely unaware that DC loathes Bruce.  There is no politicking Bruce can do at this point to save what’s left of the family name in DC.

I also thought it was funny hearing him talk about karma and luck concerning injuries.  “No team has 9 guards on their depth chart” .  As if we didn’t face the same scenario in 2017.  Maybe, just maybe there’s more to it than luck there, Chief.  Not to mention that it seems the Redskins go street shopping more often for FA’s when guys go down vs. signing guys they paid and practiced with in the offseason. 

In summary, there is literally nothing Bruce can say at this point to appease the fanbase.  Other than “yes” to an interview request with 106.7 or 980.  He just doesn’t have any logical answers to questions of the past or future and is too scared to face the music.  Worse off, Dan doesn’t force it on him.  He’s probably of the belief that they bully Bruce just like they do poor him.  Sad state of affairs to say the least.

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I want to say bless the dudes heart for trying, maybe he deserves a participation trophy or something. Maybe if we had him in the offseason he would have looked better but I have my doubts. Maybe if we had better WRs, he'd be better, but again I have my doubts. 

I think he gutted it out and made watching those last few games bearable, and that Jacksonville win was all (or a large part) on him, with the TD to Sprinkle, but lets not kid ourselves. We can give him an invite to camp because there's no guarantee that Colt will be healthy (sure he'll be recovered but he's Colt) and the goal is probably going to be to have a vet or 2 as the main guys on the roster with a rookie behind him. 

So I'm guessing that the plan right now is Colt, Josh and a rookie. But if they make a deal for a McCarron or another QB on that level then its Colt, McCarron and a rookie. Sorry Josh. And they may actually go back to the 4QBs in training camp thing that we used to see. 

48 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I want to say bless the dudes heart for trying, maybe he deserves a participation trophy or something. Maybe if we had him in the offseason he would have looked better but I have my doubts. Maybe if we had better WRs, he'd be better, but again I have my doubts. 

I think he gutted it out and made watching those last few games bearable, and that Jacksonville win was all (or a large part) on him, with the TD to Sprinkle, but lets not kid ourselves. We can give him an invite to camp because there's no guarantee that Colt will be healthy (sure he'll be recovered but he's Colt) and the goal is probably going to be to have a vet or 2 as the main guys on the roster with a rookie behind him. 

So I'm guessing that the plan right now is Colt, Josh and a rookie. But if they make a deal for a McCarron or another QB on that level then its Colt, McCarron and a rookie. Sorry Josh. And they may actually go back to the 4QBs in training camp thing that we used to see. 

I have my doubts that Bruce will trust a make or break year on Colt's health, Johnson and a rookie. My guesses Tyrod Taylor. He'd be fairly cheap, will likely accept being a backup and wouldn't get in the way of a rookie or Smith's return. 

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, you think they will only carry 2 QBs, even if one of them is an injury prone Colt McCoy and the other is a rookie? And that they would be so determined not to carry a 3rd QB that they would pass on drafting a 1st round QB that they like because they had signed Josh Johnson to a cheap contract?

giphy.gif

Dont think they draft qb in the first..

10 hours ago, bh32 said:

i realize the FO has not given us much reason to believe they will not make the worst decisions - but even for them this would be horrific. I am virtually certain, like 99% certain they carry 3 QBs this season. It's not like they never did before. If they sign JJ they have an injury prone guy and another who has not been playing live football for several years. They need a 3rd. Now is that a high draft pick that makes the final 53 or a late round developmental QB, or maybe even another veteran that makes the final 3. Drafting one is most likely but again it is Bruce. 

Surely they will not be that dumb as to carry only 2 QBs. But then there is a reason I said 99% certain - any other team it would be 100%. 

19 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

FYI...

NFL owners CAN force a fellow owner to sell their team if they deem that the owner of a team is harming the reputation or integrity of the game by their actions..

They can but they won't.

Al Davis was causing a ****storm and not a peep about it from the other NFL owners. Jim Irsay was arrested. Married Jerry Jones caught on camera groping young women. Dan hasn't come close to ruffling feathers the same way or embarrassing the NFL image. Owners are not going to turn against their own unless it's something heinous that they themselves wouldn't do (or confident they wouldn't get caught doing it), otherwise they'd be putting targets on their own backs for any future infraction that might endanger their ownership.

7 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I have my doubts that Bruce will trust a make or break year on Colt's health, Johnson and a rookie.

I have my doubts that Bruce sees it as a make or break year.  None of the actions taken to this point indicate that he’s in any trouble.  He’s like a kid with parents that never discipline, he can just do whatever he wants without fear.  

That said, I’m sure Dan wants more than Colt and Josh Johnson.  So there is certainly a possibility they continue the cycle of mortgaging the future for potential, minimal short term gains at the QB position.

15 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

They can but they won't.

Al Davis was causing a ****storm and not a peep about it from the other NFL owners. Jim Irsay was arrested. Married Jerry Jones caught on camera groping young women. Dan hasn't come close to ruffling feathers the same way or embarrassing the NFL image. Owners are not going to turn against their own unless it's something heinous that they themselves wouldn't do (or confident they wouldn't get caught doing it), otherwise they'd be putting targets on their own backs for any future infraction that might endanger their ownership.

Richardson was forced to sell the Panthers last year over sexual harassment claims.  Same thing almost happened with McNair of the Houston Texans.  So it can happen if the national heat becomes too intense and the revenues get threatened.

It is all about money.   Jerry Jones owns the most profitable franchise so he is safe regardless of any personal scandals.  But when the League sees the 3rd most profitable Redskins fall off a cliff like what happened last year, there is that chance because now it’s about revenues.

The TV negotiations will be coming up soon and the league is already dealing with declining fan interest issues which they blamed on the National Anthem protests but in reality the millennial generation is not as interested in sports like the previous generation due to a wide spectrum of entertainment choices. The League is scared and have been the past several years.  Therefore they will act more severely than in the past like in the days of Al Davis.  They have to protect the Shield and the status quo at all costs. 

When you add in the precipitous drop in attendance in Redskins games in 2018 from 3rd highest to 27th place....then see the fan revolt coupled with the Redskins not doing or being able to improve for 2019 which could very well see those attendance numbers drop even more....the League is going to see a problem and a threat to their revenues that they share.  You can’t have a team that was consistently ranked third in attendance with a reputation of having extremely loyal fans that made Washington one of the premier markets come tumbling down due to dysfunctional management and cavalier arrogance.  The League will tolerate personal scandals as long it isn’t damaging like sexual harassment which came to the forefront due to Harvey Weinstein which forced them to act or become a national target....but they can’t tolerate damage to their revenues.

The League knows Dan and Bruce are inept and a laughing stock.   Another year like this year of even greater decline in attendance at games plus a losing record with Elizabeth Warren bringing back the issue of the Redskins racist team name and Dan’s stubbornness to keep it at all costs could very well lead to the League stepping in and forcing change first then voting to have the team sold at auction.  I believe LaFemina was sent to try to salvage the business side of the Redskins due to the declining revenues and now that he has been fired, I believe the League is at the tipping point of dealing with this ‘bad’ partner in their Cartel.

I was doing my morning research on ESPN and saw this:

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truekc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Washington trades for a starting quarterback

Chiefs trade: QB Alex Smith
Washington trades: CB Kendall Fuller, 3-78

Knowing that they were going to lose Kirk Cousins in free agency, Washington got ahead of the situation by agreeing a trade for Smith in January. It seemed like a logical move to target a high-ceiling veteran, and while Smith didn't play as well as he did during his final year in Kansas City, Washington was 6-3 when Smith went down with a gruesome broken leg against the Texans in Week 11. Jay Gruden's team lost that game and went 1-5 the rest of the way, with their only win coming over a Cody Kessler-led Jags team.

The Smith deal might end up proving catastrophic, at least in the short term. It's unclear whether Smith will ever play again. In 2019, Washington will owe Smith a guaranteed $15 million base salary as part of a $20.4 million cap hit. If Smith can't pass a physical for the 2020 season, Washington would owe the former first overall pick a $16 million base salary as part of a $21.4 million cap hit. Washington would be able to move on from Smith in 2021 with $10.8 million in dead money on its cap. It's obviously something they couldn't have anticipated when they made the trade, but it could turn out to be disastrous for the organization.

Impact grade: A-

Got to give credit where credit is due

In that card pictured above from Bruce, the guy he was responding to is named "Kevin" and he wrote something that looks like "Kesis", lol. Must be that same rare southern dialect that caused that other infamous mispronunciation. Guess it affects writing ability, too. I'm sure he wasn't drunk when he wrote that. Positive. 

It's time for a new thread: "HIS NAME IS KEVIN!" 

12 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

In that card pictured above from Bruce, the guy he was responding to is named "Kevin" and he wrote something that looks like "Kesis", lol. Must be that same rare southern dialect that caused that other infamous mispronunciation. Guess it affects writing ability, too. I'm sure he wasn't drunk when he wrote that. Positive. 

It's time for a new thread: "HIS NAME IS KEVIN!" 

The other ironic thing about it is it gives a sign that Bruce is the gatekeeper there.  A letter gets written to Dan, that letter doesn't make it to Dan but makes it to Bruce.

It's somewhat consistent with what some beat guys have said (with the exception of one person) which is that Bruce is VERY aware of the fan discontentment about him.  But, Dan was shocked to learn about it.    And I'd put money that Bruce explained to Dan its a temporary thing as for fan discontent and it centers on disappointment that the season started hot and ended poorly.

I've been in a position that while is apples to oranges to a football team it was similar in the sense that my job was to deal with everything and report to the boss.  And being the gatekeeper in away gives you as much power as the boss because you decide what to share with him and what not to share. 

Not that anything like this happened in my case but if i wanted other workers in the office to hand me any letters that referred to me -- they'd do it versus hand it in person to my boss above me -- since they were dealing with me much more so than the boss and for that reason I had more impact on their job security.

It's part of the reason why I think you got to mirror the 2009 optics with signs at the stands, etc for Dan to notice things in a big way.  Because while I think its worth writing letters, sending tweets and leaving voice messages in terms of getting a media hit off of it possibly and it seems like the national media has noticed and that has filtered some to the rest of the league noticing -- but I think as to getting to Dan directly that's not easy with Bruce being the gatekeeper in that building.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have my doubts that Bruce sees it as a make or break year.  None of the actions taken to this point indicate that he’s in any trouble.  He’s like a kid with parents that never discipline, he can just do whatever he wants without fear.  

That said, I’m sure Dan wants more than Colt and Josh Johnson.  So there is certainly a possibility they continue the cycle of mortgaging the future for potential, minimal short term gains at the QB position.

I do think Bruce genuinely believes his spin that they are close and were just befallen by injuries.  Also, the thing is it boxes him in some as to how he approaches the off season because if they were really that good why would the team have to go nuts in the off season?  

And agree that Dan likely involves himself heavier this time.  I think as dense as the dude is -- even he might sense that he needs a splash to regain fan interest.

The guy that has the most complex view of Dan reporting wise is Chris Russell.  He says Dan knows that his brand is in trouble and is very nervous about it.  And that his relationship with Bruce has its downs along with the ups.   If so, why hasn't he done anything about it yet?  The stadium?   Bruce-Jay convinced him he'd be an idiot to break up a SB bound operation?   If Russell's narrative is true -- its baffling.  The only logic I can give it is to run with the WP-WT stadium narrative -- Brewer, Clark, Loverro all say they hear that Bruce has Dan by the gonads because of the stadium.   And suspect Bruce has sold Dan that he has it under control and he's the guy who will deliver it.   Heck hearing Bruce say the best stadium in the world in his press conference gives the vibe that he's laying it on thick behind the scenes.

Archived