Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

" The presence of Bruce Allen, whose poor record running football operations as team president has become a focus of scorn in the fanbase and derision around the NFL, has been a detriment to landing coaches"

Yet danny boy is promoting him, and he's still on his wild goose chase in search for coaches, that makes sense right ? :wacko:

FlawlessPerfumedGalago-size_restricted.g

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that.  Very interested to know if Bruce was a part of the meeting with Bowles or if Dan kept him out of the talks.  It would be nice to hear if both Bruce and Jay are lame duck and will be replaced by next season.

Who the hell cares about Bowles, find me the article where McVay walked into the office. The lack of management to see a far better talent in a lower ranking position and not promote him will be one of the worse decisions of Snyder's reign. 

• Like 3

Some takeaways for me from that if all of that is true

A.  The idea that Dan wanted to use the D coordinator to make a splash was true.  Beat guys were on that narrative for weeks.

B.  Dan is feeling desperate for a splash

C.  Dan getting more involved as he typically does when he gets fearful and or antsy.

D. Jay is neutered even more than what's been reported previously.

E.  Bruce being an obstacle to bringing coaches -- heard the same last year in terms of personnel people

F.  Why is Dan keeping Bruce anyway?  Is it the BFF thing or the stadium?  Or both?

G.  The part that Dan would make concessions on the personnel situation is interesting - was that a conversation about Bruce?

H.  The idea that Dan-Gregg now are cool, I take seriously.  Because back in the day, JLC was generous in terms of responding to emails and I asked him about what he was hearing about the coaching search back then including about Gregg.  And i'll just say the narrative has changed from then to now. 

I get into arguments sometimes with some fellow critics of Dan/Bruce who think Bruce might be a good guy or just an empty vessel who is simply being pulled by the strings by Dan.   But digesting everything, my take continues to be the idea that Dan pulls Bruce by the strings is sometimes true but Bruce mostly puts his own stamp on the dysfunction.  Dan's the owner so the culture is driven by him so he deserves all the blame.  

Bruce was called the Prince of Darkness in Tampa.  I've elaborated many times giving examples to parallels to Bruce's style here versus Tampa-Oakland.  Bruce isn't playing a new character in a movie.  He's playing the same guy personality wise.  To me if this was a James Bond movie, Bruce wouldn't be a wide eyed dupe just mindlessly carrying out the orders from the master villain.  Instead, Bond would have two master villains to foil. 

And none of that is a backhanded complement to Dan.  To me its the reverse of that.   Personally, I think the idea that Dan hired a fellow douchebag to mismanage Redskins Park makes him look even more pathetic.  The narrative that most beat guys have as to what's being said behind the scenes involves Dan saying fans want him to be hands off so now he is hands off and is letting Bruce run the show.  And fans are still dissatisfied.   So what gives? 

Personally, I don't believe that Dan isn't involved and isn't pulling the strings sometimes but I do believe he doesn't do it as much as he once did.  Too many reporters I trust who don't like Dan double down on that point without anybody dissenting.   But the idea that not only is he a bad owner but can't hire a decent personnel person and doesn't understand how to build a winning structure makes the dude look even more pathetic IMO.    And to me the bigger point about Dan is the culture.  That's all him.  The culture which is driven by impatience, fear, politics, factions, etc.  And putting ego before competence.  On and on.  None of that looks to have changed one bit.  So if Dan thinks its all about whether he meddles with personnel -- its not IMO.    That meddling is only a slice IMO of the dysfunction. 

I do think when they finally dump Bruce and I think it happens if they have a bad season next year -- it should help attract better people to the building.  Because I think working for the Redskins has never been worse for a number of reasons.  But one of them is in the past you had Dan and Vinny but the vibe was Dan controlled Vinny versus it being double trouble.  I think the Dan-Bruce combination is even more lethal for people considering coaching or working in personnel here -- because even if you are convinced that Dan will stay out of your way, good luck convincing people that BOTH Dan and Bruce will stay out of your way.  Maybe Scot's and Kirk's camp were both fooled but what comes out media wise from both is that Bruce is a controlling douche and Dan isn't as bad.    While that might not be true in reality, I don't think people can be convinced that Bruce won't stab you in the back if he feels threatened.

36 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Who the hell cares about Bowles, find me the article where McVay walked into the office. The lack of management to see a far better talent in a lower ranking position and not promote him will be one of the worse decisions of Snyder's reign. 

To me I don't think the interest in Bowles is the interesting part of the article but the process around it.  Only interesting thing to me personally about Bowles is Dan being infatuated with another Redskins alumni.  The dude is nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.  I like Bowles but don't love him and his past Redskins pedigree means nothing to me in the context of being a coordinator. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

This DC thing was all Snyder (classic Snyder actually). Bruce likely wanted to keep the current DC to maintain both chemistry and Tomsula. 

Shows that Snyder is starting to jump in a bit. Wouldn’t surprise me if we see more of the same this offseason. 

I don't want Todd Bowles here, and that's based solely on his sideline demeaner; far too laid back IMO.

I wonder if this is a sign of Snyder starting to get more involved again, because surely hiring a DC should be a collaboration between GM and HC?

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

This DC thing was all Snyder (classic Snyder actually). Bruce likely wanted to keep the current DC to maintain both chemistry and Tomsula. 

Shows that Snyder is starting to jump in a bit. Wouldn’t surprise me if we see more of the same this offseason. 

According to most who cover the team, Bruce is selling behind the scene that everything is great -- because apparently Dan needs to be convinced they are on the right track for people to keep their jobs.  Bruce it sounds like is selling (with help from Jay but I don't blame him what else is is supposed to say?) to Dan that their 6-3 start is the real deal.   And there is nothing to panic about in 2019 because Colt can do the job.  And they are as good as just about any team in the NFL.  So it wouldn't make any sense for Bruce or Jay to panic about the defensive coordinator let alone admitting they made a mistake about the Manusky hire in the first place.  

It puts me in a weird place as a fan digesting this.   Considering its no win either way for me. 

A.  I hate the narrative that the team is close.  I despise Bruce so I got no problem taking him to task for it.  I like Jay so attacking him on this is more uncomfortable for me.  But I don't really blame either one for pushing this narrative.  What else can they say to justify sticking around?  Jay going to say dude I know it was a rough year and maybe next year will be even rougher but stick with me because in 2020 I think this turns around?  That's not a narrative I think that would work on Dan.  The main reason why I hate the narrative is it puts this team in a another win now mode.  So you win the battle to lose the war potentially by making win now moves.   

B.  I do think this team crashing next season has major upsides if that's whats needed to rid of Bruce and reboot, high draft pick, etc.   Judging by narratives I've heard, I do think at the present time, Bruce is the bigger douche and control freak than Dan is.  But Dan is the one who sets the culture and allows for a politician like Bruce to thrive in the jungle among other things.  I think they both bring out the worst in each other.  And I think they are both douches on the same level and both are incompetent -- with Bruce being slightly less incompetent than Dan.

C.   But to break up that party, do I want Dan making the decisions let alone in the same old same old ways?    Dan willing to give away the store to Bowles seems a bit crazy to me.  Bowles was a good coordinator in Arizona but as a HC he was beleaguered big time.   He seems to fit the profile of what Dan likes -- a mild mannered dude who won't stand up to him or whomever.  And represents nostalgia which is what floats his boat and he assumed the fans are taken by.  It's part of the reason why I would have been impressed with them hiring Gregg.  It's not that i thought Gregg was the be all and end all but that his personality would be so going against type. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

I don't want Todd Bowles here, and that's based solely on his sideline demeaner; far too laid back IMO.

I wonder if this is a sign of Snyder starting to get more involved again, because surely hiring a DC should be a collaboration between GM and HC?

That's ridicules, what are your thoughts on Belicheck then?  Doc Walker once addressed this double standard on his show once and went into a rant.

4 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

That's ridicules, what are your thoughts on Belicheck then?  Doc Walker once addressed this double standard on his show once and went into a rant.

Well.....am I forgetting a place where Bowles has been successful?  HC wise, I mean. He may be a good DC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Well.....am I forgetting a place where Bowles has been successful?  HC wise, I mean. He may be a good DC. 

If you would look at Belichecks first three years with the Browns you wouldn't say he was successful either.  Bowles leaving seems to be more influenced by the whole QB whisperer wave going on

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Lol we were never going to fire jay and hire mcvay after two years in a row of the best football we’ve seen in DC in a long time (minus 2012). At that point we had just had a 9-7 season (2015) and 8-7-1 (2016). To fire Gruden at that point would’ve been ridiculous. In hindsight, yes, we should’ve promoted mcvay right away. But the general consensus (from what ive seen here on the board) is that it was unrealistic back then. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

Fair point, although I think that Belichick quietly fumes on the sideline when things go wrong and you get the feeling that he will tear into the offending player afterwards.

Bowles just kind of nervously smiles all the time and looks like he will just give the player a hug. Purely my opinion I know.

Read a few books about Belichick, he's not a laid back dude at all.  He has zero charisma and not a pump up the players kind of guy but rules with his intensity and fear.     From what I've read about Bowles that's not him.  One of the criticisms of him in NY was he let the prisoners run the asylum.

I do agree with those who say personality isn't the be all and all and you can be laid back and succeed.   I wouldn't mind Bowles as a D coordinator, I wouldn't like him as a HC.  Being a HC is a lot about being a leader of men and Bowles doesn't strike me as that.   

• Like 1

Dan and Bruce both need to take a cruise straight out to sea, and when they reach international waters, send a missile at it.

Utter disgust at both of them, its like they're TRYING to piss off anyone they can for ****s and giggles.

If Dan feels desperate to make a splash,then I am very nervous about what could happen in the 1st round of the draft.

• Like 1

There are only 12 seats in the iMax theater?  That says all you need to know.  Dan and Bruce can get an entire row to themselves casting tubes of our next QB.

Full court press on Todd Bowles? Good thing he bolted.

Edited by RandyHolt

8 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

If Dan feels desperate to make a splash,then I am very nervous about what could happen in the 1st round of the draft.

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. Trades, too. Especially after him failing to get his target coaches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Dan and Bruce both need to take a cruise straight out to sea, and when they reach international waters, send a missile at it.

Utter disgust at both of them, its like they're TRYING to piss off anyone they can for ****s and giggles.

I have experience in this field.  Just sayin'

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. Trades, too. Especially after him failing to get his target coaches.

Johnny

Manziel

🥺

About this Bowles situation, remember when Dan used to be able to close a deal like this?  When Snyder used to get involved, he usually made it happen, for better or worse.  

Now, people are looking at the money and the promises and the schmoozing and are basically "nah".

26 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Johnny

Manziel

🥺

You got the right height. Am guessing.

Kyler

Murray

so it was Snyder who wanted a change at DC not Gruden, but apparently not Allen either. 

I suggest that means he wanted a guy he could potentially promote if he fires Gruden, but it also suggests that we'd find out when Snyder was the cause of stuff unlike all the people who say that something seems like Snyder even if it'd denied and no one ever proves it

1 hour ago, SprintBomb said:

#FireBruceAllen IS a splash move!

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You got the right height. Am guessing.

Kyler

Murray

Gil Brandt is already starting to link him to us...

I'm not interested at all...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, carex said:

so it was Snyder who wanted a change at DC not Gruden, but apparently not Allen either. 

I suggest that means he wanted a guy he could potentially promote if he fires Gruden, but it also suggests that we'd find out when Snyder was the cause of stuff unlike all the people who say that something seems like Snyder even if it'd denied and no one ever proves it

Bruce & Jay according to people who cover the team are selling Dan on the status quo.  I don't see how they'd have another choice but to sell that.  Bruce can't sell Dan something like hey this is year #10 for me but this is going to be a rough season, hang in with me further for a rebuild in my year #11 here or Jay saying the same for year 6 and tell Dan to wait for year 7.  So they are likely selling Dan on exactly what Jay said in his last press conference which is this team is really close and is as good as anyone.

The question then becomes does Dan believe them?   Bruce or Jay on their own trying to shake up the status quo would go against their own narrative let alone it sounds like Manusky was their hire so doubt they'd be in the mood to tell Dan yeah we blew that one, lets see who else we can get.  

According to some who cover the team right now Bruce and Jay's future are somewhat interlocked.   Heck the beat guys also got right that defensive coordinator is where Dan wanted to make a splash instead of replacing Bruce or Jay. So on that front, perhaps Bruce and Jay were ok with it because it might have helped their own job security.   

Whether its good that Dan wants to take that lead -- that's another story.  I don't think its good.  But I hold Bruce in just as low esteem as I do Dan.  So I don't want Bruce making the call either.  I don't think either should mess with coach decisions.  It should be Jay.  And if either doesn't trust Jay, then just fire him as opposed to neutering him. 

If Dan is neutering Bruce some now its an interesting dilemma for me because I don't see either one as competent football people and I see both as people who deserve situations that force feed them some humility.  So I look at is as a Godzilla-King Kong battle where I'd root for them to eat each other up.

But in short one insider here said Bruce was making the assistant coach decisions.  Now we got angry Dan kicking in and taking over and doing his thing on that front.  Both scenarios are wrong IMO.  It should be Jay.  Now if a HC change is being made -- that's different.  Dan is the guy that technically should make that call or his GM but I don't trust either one to make a good decision.  But the HC should hire his own assistants. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

#FireBruceAllen IS a splash move!

Gil Brandt is already starting to link him to us...

I'm not interested at all...

Wait to Dan sees this.  He might be able to figure out how to get both Brown and Murray.  😄  All problems with fans over.  He might even think he can give Bruce a big fat extension if it happens and they can keep getting hammered together and congratulate each other for how much smarter they are than the rest of the league. 😥

• Sad 1