Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

I don't think anyone said a Snyder presser would "make all this go away." But it would be a step in the right direction. If his reasoning for not talking is that "people aren't going to listen or will parse every word and make me look bad anyway," then that says everything that needs to be said about the guy and confirms his cowardice even more, as well as his general disdain for the fanbase. 

There's a reason the phrase is "TAKE the heat." Because that implies that the heat dissipates when you step out and rightfully take responsibility for it. Snyder's chosen to just ignore it and let it continue to boil. Only a gutless ****bag handles adversity that way. 

No I agree, I really do. Overall point was some were acting like if he steps out and holds a presser some of the negative press would go away. I don't think that would be the case is all, it's too far gone at this point.

17 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

No I agree, I really do. Overall point was some were acting like if he steps out and holds a presser some of the negative press would go away. I don't think that would be the case is all, it's too far gone at this point.

One presser wouldn't do it.  Neither would if he did what most owners did which have annual pressers and in some cases semi-annual pressers.  But unless he trips all over himself with misstatements (and from what I observed he's actually better at avoiding saying dumb things than Bruce is), he would improve his image.

The idea that he is detached from fans and would rather do things in the dark adds IMO to the sleaze and gutless image that is brewing for him.  In the past, the gutless drill wasn't as heavily ingrained in his image as its becoming now -- ditto the detached.  Previously, it was like hey the dude is just like an overzealous fan (just like us) who can't contain himself and is arrogant in thinking he has all the answers.  The newer image in the soup has him being gutless and detached from fans.   

Some pressers would help his image but nothing will FIX his image until he starts doing things in a way that either most fans perceive to be the right way or if he wants to do it his way then he needs to win.  And by win he's not graded  on a curve with an if and buts explanation for why they didn't win.  If he was a new owner he'd have more leeway to ride an if and buts narrative but the sample size is now almost 20 years.

What he is doing right now is like a dude who owns a hotel who gets slaughtered by customer ratings on Trip Advisor who in particular complain about how rude the manager is.  The hotel is losing money and popularity. The owner doubles down on the manager.  And the people that know the hotel owner say hey the dude doesn't pay much attention to what the customers say.   He doesn't read that stuff and doesn't really talk publicly or interact with his customers.   Then the owner wonders what gives and why are people giving him a hard time.  The owner of the hotel is perfectly in the right to ignore what his customers have said but they'd feel a bit better if the owners said look I hear you and we are doing our best...

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What he is doing right now is like a dude who owns a hotel who gets slaughtered by customer ratings on Trip Advisor who in particular complain about how rude the manager is.  The hotel is losing money and popularity. The owner doubles down on the manager.  And the people that know the hotel owner say hey the dude doesn't pay much attention to what the customers say.   He doesn't read that stuff and doesn't really talk publicly or interact with his customers.   Then the owner wonders what gives and why are people giving him a hard time.  The owner of the hotel is perfectly in the right to ignore what his customers have said but they'd feel a bit better if the owners said look I hear you and we are doing our best...

Knowing Dan's history he'll probably give a press conference and say "I'll never change the name from Redskins" and end the press conference. No questions taken, No statements about coaching searches, but expectations that this little bit will be enough to excite the fan base. I mean its what he did a few years back. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Knowing Dan's history he'll probably give a press conference and say "I'll never change the name from Redskins" and end the press conference. No questions taken, No statements about coaching searches, but expectations that this little bit will be enough to excite the fan base. I mean its what he did a few years back. 

Dan has plenty of faults but coming off bananas in press conferences isn't one of them.  In spite of his apparent social phobias, he actually handled himself ok in interviews.  Arguably he's better at it than Bruce.  That's why I am sticking to the chicken theory.  Yeah its uncomfortable to take on tough questions and he and Bruce are used to people kissing their butts.  But they need to get over it otherwise the perception is just going to get worse.  Here's the last somewhat extensive interview I've found about Dan.  Softball questions but he's not hopeless in terms of handling himself.

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

nothing will FIX his image until he starts doing things in a way that either most fans perceive to be the right way or if he wants to do it his way then he needs to win. 

The thing is, if Snyder has proven anything during his embarrassing reign as the NFL’s Modernday PT Barnum, it’s that he can’t win doing it his way. He has had no sustained success because “his way” (whatever that may be) only leads to failure. Or eventual failure. 

I get your hotel manager analogy, but you would assume at some point he’d make a move to assuage the fans like firing Allen, even if it’s only a publicity move and he keeps him on the payroll or something. Especially during a period like this where the fan frustration has made national news. 

This entire offseason has just been one big bummer. From watching both Philly and Dallas win a playoff game to seeing us publicly fumble the search for new coaches/handling of current coaches. I’m very much bracing myself for some big newsworthy move in a few months that I will no doubt talk myself into believing may actually work until it becomes clear we’ve once again guided ourself into quicksand. 

The only thing that will fix this and renew fan interest is WINNING.   Plain and simple winning cures everything.  If, for example, he was to hire Gibbs back regardless whether it was as coach or team president I don’t think even that would make a difference.  Let’s justget back to winning. #HTTR

4 minutes ago, SkinsBoss said:

The only thing that will fix this and renew fan interest is WINNING.   Plain and simple winning cures everything.  If, for example, he was to hire Gibbs back regardless whether it was as coach or team president I don’t think even that would make a difference.  Let’s justget back to winning. #HTTR

Sorry, I do not agree. It may fix my apathy towards watching games. But it will not change how I feel about Dan S. I have listed the whys 100 times so not regurgitating it all over again. But my loathing for him goes much deeper than just the Redskins winning or losing. He has turned us into an embarrassment, and not just in terms of W/L record. But as an organization. 

Yea, I know some people don't care about that. Good for them. I mean that. But it makes a difference to me. Maybe it cures the football side of things. But it does not fix him as a person. And again that makes a difference to me. 

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Skinsinparadise wow, you're 100% right. He comes off as genuine and likable in that clip. I'm sure he has a petulant side to him, but I have also seen enough times where he's tolerable and relateable that makes me think he's not just some evil guy. I wonder what his obstacles are! 

You need to hack Bruce's computer to know :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry, I do not agree. It may fix my apathy towards watching games. But it will not change how I feel about Dan S. I have listed the whys 100 times so not regurgitating it all over again. But my loathing for him goes much deeper than just the Redskins winning or losing. He has turned us into an embarrassment, and not just in terms of W/L record. But as an organization. 

Yea, I know some people don't care about that. Good for them. I mean that. But it makes a difference to me. Maybe it cures the football side of things. But it does not fix him as a person. And again that makes a difference to me. 

I’d agree with this. A few months back I fought with someone here who made the comparison to Steinbrenner.

Snyder will be a piece of human garbage no matter how good or bad the Redskins’ record is. I will never care for him or respect him as a person. That being said, I’d much rather despise him for just being a scumbag than also causing me sadness and pain on most Sundays, the occasional Monday, and a rare Thursday or two every fall/winter. 

Snyder isn’t the only asshole rich man in power, but he’s the only one who runs my favorite sports team into the ground time and time again that’s for sure. 

2 hours ago, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

The thing is, if Snyder has proven anything during his embarrassing reign as the NFL’s Modernday PT Barnum, it’s that he can’t win doing it his way. He has had no sustained success because “his way” (whatever that may be) only leads to failure. Or eventual failure. 

Agree.

I get your hotel manager analogy, but you would assume at some point he’d make a move to assuage the fans like firing Allen, even if it’s only a publicity move and he keeps him on the payroll or something. Especially during a period like this where the fan frustration has made national news. 

Agree on this too.  The only thing I'll say where I could understand why he might be keeping him around is the stadium.  Arguably the future of his ownership's finances is all tied to that stadium.  And I know from some of my own work in the field including being around a couple of stadium situations -- its not an easy task.  Listening to Liz Clark explain what she's hearing about how its going -- she thinks there is a strong chance he doesn't get a stadium period and would have to self fund.  So Bruce perhaps is lucky as heck because his leverage right now with Dan might never have been this high.

This entire offseason has just been one big bummer. From watching both Philly and Dallas win a playoff game to seeing us publicly fumble the search for new coaches/handling of current coaches. I’m very much bracing myself for some big newsworthy move in a few months that I will no doubt talk myself into believing may actually work until it becomes clear we’ve once again guided ourself into quicksand. 

Awful off season so far IMO but will see maybe they got something cooking, was just listening to Sheehan's podcast with Finlay and they think they likely realizes they boxed themselves into making a move on QB.  Personally I hope they wait until 2020.  but will see.  My main hope is that this thing finally crashes and they reboot and are set up for a draft that looks very good at the Qb position. 

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

You’d think by this thread “nice guys always finish first”

With that said, we as fans are due to hear from the FO in some way soon. 

Dan and Bruce aren't evil but they come off as jerks.  That's a different dynamic.   You can surely be a jerk and win.  And I'd take it if that's the best we can do.    But being a douche and losing -- that's a double whammy because you have to accept the losing and you can't even hang onto well at least my organization is classy.  This way we got nothing.  Where I live, there are fans from all over the place and I often when getting into conversations have to start by somewhat explaining why I am a Redskins fan -- the team is a punchline to some and not one of the cool teams to like.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Skinsinparadise wow, you're 100% right. He comes off as genuine and likable in that clip. I'm sure he has a petulant side to him, but I have also seen enough times where he's tolerable and relateable that makes me think he's not just some evil guy. I wonder what his obstacles are! 

Yeah he isn't great as an interview but not a disaster either.  I think he actually comes off better than Bruce ironically.  From my own personal exchange with Bruce and just watching his rare interviews over the years -- to me he comes off very much like his politician reputation.   Dan almost comes off a bit sad. 

WP story just now, if true this is a bit wild. I am guessing if Dan's verdict was to improve the coaching staff, I gather Dan is now over it seeing their top targets aren't interested in coming. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/16/redskins-expected-keep-greg-manusky-after-looking-other-defensive-coordinators/?utm_term=.00ce87c7f86c

Improving the coaching staff is believed to be a mandate of team owner Daniel Snyder. People familiar with the Redskins’ postseason planning said Snyder considered firing Gruden after the team failed to make the playoffs for the fourth time in Gruden’s five years as head coach. Ultimately, Snyder decided to keep Gruden, who has two years remaining on a contract extension signed in the spring of 2017. In retaining Gruden and expanding the role of team president Bruce Allen, Snyder is said to have hoped he could make upgrades on the coaching staff. It is unclear what those upgrades will be, particularly with Manusky remaining as defensive coordinator.

24 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Hey, Danny Boy... how’s about waiting until AFTER you fire your coaches before you start interviewing new ones. Kinda’ broadcasts a lousy message to essentially the entire world.

Maybe he learned is lesson from 2008.  They hired Zorn before their HC and was forced to promote him.  You don't want to create a hole unless you are certain.

But yeah, it shouldnt have been leaked they they were searching.

22 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Maybe he learned is lesson from 2008.  They hired Zorn before their HC and was forced to promote him.  You don't want to create a hole unless you are certain.

But yeah, it shouldnt have been leaked they they were searching. 

They couldn't control the leaks. Seeing as it was either national or individuals outside the market with the news, you can assume the agent was sharing the info with the media.

You either do it or you don't. Can't assume your current staff won't find out.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Cmon if we were say12-4 every year we wouldn't even be having this conversation!!! Whether we like it or not we are stuck with Dan as our owner. I prefer to watch the games on Sunday through the lens of the great teams I grew up watching ,not the mess Synder has made us

3 minutes ago, trap said:

Cmon if we were say12-4 every year we wouldn't even be having this conversation!!! Whether we like it or not we are stuck with Dan as our owner. I prefer to watch the games on Sunday through the lens of the great teams I grew up watching ,not the mess Synder has made us

The conversation from me - and quite a few others - would be I am glad we are winning but Dan Snyder is still a POS. So yes, we would be having this discussion.

Again, I have documented many times why I do not like Dan Snyder the person. Just because we are stuck with him does not mean I have to like him. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WP story just now, if true this is a bit wild. I am guessing if Dan's verdict was to improve the coaching staff, I gather Dan is now over it seeing their top targets aren't interested in coming. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/16/redskins-expected-keep-greg-manusky-after-looking-other-defensive-coordinators/?utm_term=.00ce87c7f86c

<snip>In retaining Gruden and expanding the role of team president Bruce Allen, Snyder is said to have hoped he could make upgrades on the coaching staff. It is unclear what those upgrades will be, particularly with Manusky remaining as defensive coordinator.

Reading that part especially is just soul-crushing.  I don't get how he doesn't get it.  Oh, you have ebola that is clearly killing you?  Let's try to cure that with more ebola.

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Reading that part especially is just soul-crushing.  I don't get how he doesn't get it.  Oh, you have ebola that is clearly killing you?  Let's try to cure that with more ebola.

Only thing on that front is Bruce controlled it before, Lafemina took over that part for 7 months and Bruce grabbed it back.  So technically it was a demotion from that side of the business which he now grabbed back.  Soul-crushing though I agree.

But I think this is going to crash down on everyone in 2019 -- ironically the 10 year anniversary of the last big crash in 2009.  As much as I think this is all a train wreck, I do think they are poised to hit bottom and it all goes down this year and changes happen.  As to them being good changes, who knows. 

5 hours ago, SkinsBoss said:

IMO, I don't want the team to win, or even be competitive next season. It sounds strange for me to say this, but anything to get Bruce's sorry ass out of the organization the quickest is what I would like to see, and the only way to possibly accomplish this is for the team to blow dog and Doofus Dan blows his top and fired Allen. It will probably lead to others being fired, but at this point it doesn't matter to me, I just want Bruce Allen to be banned from coming within 1000 feet of anything associated with the Redskins.

The problem is, Bruce has sucked onto Dan's butt like a suckerfish to a shark and has blown so much smoke up his butt that if Dan held his breath for 10 seconds he would begin to float. Bruce has brainwashed Snyder into believing he is the best person to 'protect' Dan from any negativity towards the team or organization,  and has Dan completely fooled on what the real problems are.

As long as Bruce Allen is with this team, he will meddle and step on/over/through anyone to protect himself regardless of whose job it costs. Until he is removed, this team will not be successful. The only thing I can think of that would persuade Snyder to remove Allen would be a full-on intervention by numerous players, past and present, pleading with him to do the right thing, or the minority owners giving an ultimatum. Bruce Allen is an absolute arrogant egotistical power-hungry kiss-ass who has an absolutely cush job and will step on whoever he needs to in order to keep his job. We are doomed.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Only thing on that front is Bruce controlled it before, Lafemina took over that part for 7 months and Bruce grabbed it back.  So technically it was a demotion from that side of the business which he now grabbed back.  Soul-crushing though I agree.

But I think this is going to crash down on everyone in 2019 -- ironically the 10 year anniversary of the last big crash in 2009.  As much as I think this is all a train wreck, I do think they are poised to hit bottom and it all goes down this year and changes happen.  As to them being good changes, who knows. 

Yeah, I know it's just a restoration of powers, but he had them taken away and Snyder just gave them right back.  There's no sign that anything ever changes.

I have never wanted this prior to a season (when 2011 seemed lost I was whiffin for Griffin), but I want this to be an absolutely humiliating season.  As much as I like Jay, if we have to sacrifice him, then so be it.  We need to hit rock bottom with a rocket attached to our backs in order to get an explosion that Dan will notice.  0-16, basically no attendance by Skins fans, only by opposing teams, no season-ticket renewals, no merch bought.  I want it to hit him as hard as possible, and then multiply that by a million.

That's our only shot.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah, I know it's just a restoration of powers, but he had them taken away and Snyder just gave them right back.  There's no sign that anything ever changes.

He did it with Vinny, he did it with Brucie. It’ll never change.

Archived