Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

5 minutes ago, owa said:

Matter of perspective.  I consider anyone that doesn't show as the real problem.  Need more real fans and less whiners imo.  Too many fans have been brainwashed by the WP and all their negativity.  I feel like Bruce and Synder both want to win badly and have put everything into it but just haven't hit on the right formula yet.  I can't fault them for trying.

Answer these things honestly please: 

1) have you consistently enjoyed the product they've put onto the field during the Allen era? 

2) do you think putting "everything into it" has included hiring qualified people and letting them do their jobs?

3) do you think they care about what the fans think, or about the game day experience, OTHER THAN to the extent they're losing money?

Calling the team out for not doing the things any competent organization would do isn't whining.  Refusing to buy into their incompetence with hard earned dollars isn't whining.  Looking at the emperor and saying he has no clothes isn't being brainwashed.  It's using your own eyes and mind and your own good judgment.

If you really look at this dog's breakfast of an organization and think they're trying to do anything but enrich themselves and make themselves look better, I don't know that I'll be able to convince you of anything about this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, owa said:

Matter of perspective.  I consider anyone that doesn't show as the real problem.  Need more real fans and less whiners imo.  Too many fans have been brainwashed by the WP and all their negativity.  I feel like Bruce and Synder both want to win badly and have put everything into it but just haven't hit on the right formula yet.  I can't fault them for trying.

How's the weather down there in the bunker?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, owa said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I'm going to start this off by saying that I'm a lot more pessimistic right now than I was in times past. Its honestly reaching Zorn levels of frustration (for different reasons). The honest thing that I was saying to myself was that Bruce was OK to me because he was keeping Dan out of things and we were making "smart" decisions on the football side. We can agree to disagree on whether those decisions were in fact smart (the QB situation, the draft picks, the free agency approach, etc). But the way this firing of front office people is going / has gone has left me just frustrated and questioning how much has really changed. In the grand scheme of things it may be small, but it has the feeling of a head in the sand approach that we knew all too well before. And I'll admit that the handling of the Foster, DJ, benching of Monte, etc contributed to this. 

But that said, I was looking at the thread about what if (things could be better or worse) and was thinking to myself about our team, especially this year. 
 - What if we didn't put in Marshall on that play that got Alex hurt (and kept our QB healthy for the rest of the year). 
 - What if the PI call that was admitted by the league as bad was actually called and we get the easy FG to win the game (putting us at 8-8 if Alex is still hurt)
 - What if Doctson makes the catch against KC last year and everything else goes the same and we finish 8-8? 
 - What if we beat KC and we get the first down against the Saints to finish 9-7 last year? 
 - What if Hopkins makes the chipshot FG over in London in overtime to give us a W instead of a tie? 

I realize that this is grasping for straws a bit but we are literally 4 plays away from 4 more wins the last 3 years. We've done this deeper and could argue that we were closer to more plays and more wins. But thats in the past and its not meant to rehash old arguments but I'm about to watch another Jason Garrett team in the second round of the playoffs, where we haven't been in almost 15 years. I know everybody wants Manusky fired but we did just finish with our best defensive rankings since like 2009, or even earlier depending on which metric you use. I question a lot of his calls and wonder if we could get back there without DJ but this is something we only dreamed about with Haslett and Barry. We literally depended on our defense for half the season. 

So the question really becomes (a) How far away are we on offense and (b) do we have the people / structure in place in the front office to find those missing pieces? I've been a big proponent of our drafts lately but I will admit that I have been left scratching my head with how we use our youth. I questioned keeping guys like Dunn, Alexander, Brantley, SDH, later in the year Monte and Everett, Vigil, just a number of players who were on our roster but not playing. And this was mainly the young guys. Why? Especially with a guy like Sims going to NO when we needed help at WR. I can't praise the depth on this team if (a) we don't use it and (b) we're still ravaged by injuries and (c) when we are ravaged by injuries we'd rather sign a guy off the streets instead of playing the youth we're supposed to be developing. 

It seems less and less likely that Gruden will depart, and Manusky is getting safer by the day. There are questions about the position coaches but I don't think that a position coach change will lead to a philosophy change like a coach or coordinator change. In the past I've been against coordinator & coaching changes because of the overhaul that will lead to in terms of the roster and players who don't fit that scheme. That said, we see what McVay did with Fisher's perennial 8-8/7-9 roster the next year.

So the question is are we a simple few offensive weapons (Guice & a better QB) away, or are we destined to be a perennial team in purgatory hoping that a guy slips in the draft that can turn our team around. Or maybe we do what so many here have been asking for and have a Beck/Grossman type year with Johnson and McCoy and wind up going 2-14

1 hour ago, owa said:

no, it is a matter of logic at this point. a one armed man can enter a rowing contest and want to win more than everyone else but simply doesn't have the capacity to compete. he can put "everything into it" but at the end of the day he should have taken up darts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owa said:

1. You're so insanely incorrect I don't know where to begin.

2. The Washington Post know more about what goes on at Redskins Park than anyone on this message board, who has ZERO access to the hallways regularly.

3. They have made zero attempt to do it the right way - they sort've tried once and got mad at McCloughan for getting credit and then fired him in the most humiliating way.

I honestly CANNOT believe any fan actually thinks the media is doing this team wrong. It is truthfully unfathomable. The only answer is people who actually have nothing in their lives except the Redskins and if that's the case, I mean this seriously  with no sarcasm because people go through hard times, I am sorry.

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

It is the league's passive aggressive way to get the name changed without looking like anyone caved.  Team moves to a new city and has to take a new name.  At best we get an expansion team (or a current team that is looking for a new home).  Jaguars or Bucs are pretty generic so team wouldn't need to be renamed for instance.  New team could also be called the Warriors and everybody is happy,

New team can be the Washington Braves.  That was the original name when they moved from Boston.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, owa said:

I think it was only yesterday that someone was nominated for the worst post ever and hear you come giving them a run for their money.

Are you a manager by chance? And if so are you hiring?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it was only yesterday that someone was nominated for the worst post ever and hear you come giving them a run for their money.

Are you a manager by chance? And if so are you hiring?

I'm thinking that poster is really hardcorezorn. :)

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

It is the league's passive aggressive way to get the name changed without looking like anyone caved.  Team moves to a new city and has to take a new name.  At best we get an expansion team (or a current team that is looking for a new home).  Jaguars or Bucs are pretty generic so team wouldn't need to be renamed for instance.  New team could also be called the Warriors and everybody is happy,

I think its exactly this.  I've actually had a theory for a couple of years now involving the league and the name.  Refereeing in the NFL as we know it is pretty poor all the way around.  But there are some teams that seem to consistently get the lions share at key times, and those that consistently get the shaft.  I think while the referees arent technically paid off, the NFL has given them certain directives at certain times to orchestrate things to what they view as best for the league.  I think that the NFL purposely wants to, very much behind the scenes, encourage the crashing and burning of the Redskins so that they can get the name changed.  I think we all know by now the league office is run by some incredibly corrupt, but incredibly smart people, as with almost any business of its size.  Goodell and the rest of the owners would be happy to get past the name controversy, and they see the opportunity in letting Snyder continue to run things into the ground.   Heck, forcing Lafimina to come in gave them additional ammo, because they knew Snyder wouldnt stand for him, and then later they can use it to point out how unstable Snyder is.

I would love for someone to do a poll and see how many current fans would accept the name change if it meant getting rid of Snyder.  I dont think approval of that has ever been this high.

I cannot believe what I am reading.

Bruce HAS to have a video of Snyder and a sheep gittin' jiggy with it.

Let's think about this for a moment; we know Snyder is the majority owner, but there are other owners, correct?

What are the chances of contacting these people and voicing our displeasure? Even though they may be the minority owners, they still have fundamental rights, right?

Boycotting Fed Ex ?  Letting Fed Ex know their services will be boycotted until their name is removed from the stadium? Its a long shot, but someone will notice it.

The only other option is to boycott the games. Do not go, do not buy Redskin merchandise, protest and picket any venues Redskin-related, no tailgate parties, etc. But Allen would pull some crap like giving away free tickets to anyone just to put bodies in seats to please Dan.

I am still in somewhat of shock hearing Bruce Allen has been given MORE authority and power.  Snyder has officially gone off the deep end now.

I am to the point now that I wish Bruce Allen would get hit by a bus. I hated Haslett with a passion, but Bruce has far surpassed him as the most hated Redskin personnel of all time, and I didn't like the fact he was even hired to begin with way back then; I thought it was nothing more than a PR stunt, but I never expected this.

So, to Snyder and Allen, you have now run your team into the ground, alienated your fans, and have made horrible decision after horrible decision, and you will get whats coming to you.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So the question is are we a simple few offensive weapons (Guice & a better QB) away, or are we destined to be a perennial team in purgatory hoping that a guy slips in the draft that can turn our team around. Or maybe we do what so many here have been asking for and have a Beck/Grossman type year with Johnson and McCoy and wind up going 2-14

I've been pessimistic as you know about the FO for years.  But I've not been down on the W-L prospects in recent years.  This coming year if they keep on this trajectory, I see a 4-12 type of season mainly because of the QB situation.  And I am probably President of the Guice fan club but I still think you need a QB.  And we don't have any passing weapons to boot.   And holes on defense.

There are multiple reporters who have been saying for weeks-months that Bruce has Dan by the barrel because of the stadium.   That was Loverro's narrative in particular that he talked to politicians involved in the stadium and he heard from them the guy they talk to is Bruce. I talked to Lafemina for a good 20 minutes months back and it was easy to pick up the new stadium is the be all and end all.   Liz Clark and Brewer in different radio segments said they heard Bruce has job security because of the stadium.

I haven't pursued a stadium in my workings but have done some minor PR work on a stadium in South Florida.    Political connections and understanding the process is critical.  Bruce I'd bet is so knee deep in this stadium that if he's dumped right now it would be like hiring a contractor to redo your roof and then dumping them when the roof is half finished and then squirming to find someone who can take over without losing a beat.   It would be a pain in the butt.

I've easily been at least one of the top 5 critics of Bruce Allen here.   As you know i think he is a major problem with this organization.  But I am not reading that deep into Bruce staying where Dan is into continuity.  It's possible.  But I think almost for sure the stadium is a big part of Bruce's current job security.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 1/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Nobody sees Dan Snyder In public there?.. how can we get a thousand people to approach him and to let him know how ****ty of a job he's doing..I know the whole doing things personally is completely out the window these days.. but that could possibly work.

Probably has 5 gump ass body doubles, like a true insane dictator. Take o e down and another one pops up like wack-a-mole. He is Legion.

Have been in a class all day only to come for air and see the "news". 

**** you too, Dan.  Since you already told us all to collectively **** off today as well. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar

3 hours ago, owa said:

No disrespect, but what the heck are you smoking????

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There are multiple reporters who have been saying for weeks-months that Bruce has Dan by the barrel because of the stadium.   That was Loverro's narrative in particular that he talked to politicians involved in the stadium and he heard from them the guy they talk to is Bruce. I talked to Lafemina for a good 20 minutes months back and it was easy to pick up the new stadium is the be all and end all.   Liz Clark and Brewer in different radio segments said they heard Bruce has job security because of the stadium.

I don't doubt that for a moment, but from everything I read it appears that the stadium project isn't exactly going well. 

At the rate the Redskins are going with attendance, they could just imitate the Chargers and move into the new soccer stadium (Audi Field).

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been pessimistic as you know about the FO for years.  But I've not been down on the W-L prospects in recent years.  This coming year if they keep on this trajectory, I see a 4-12 type of season mainly because of the QB situation.  And I am probably President of the Guice fan club but I still think you need a QB.  And we don't have any passing weapons to boot.   And holes on defense.

I haven't pursued a stadium in my workings but have done some minor PR work on a stadium in South Florida.    Political connections and understanding the process is critical.  Bruce I'd bet is so knee deep in this stadium that if he's dumped right now it would be like hiring a contractor to redo your roof and then dumping them when the roof is half finished and then squirming to find someone who can take over without losing a beat.   It would be a pain in the butt.

I've easily been at least one of the top 5 critics of Bruce Allen here.   As you know i think he is a major problem with this organization.  But I am not reading that deep into Bruce staying where Dan is into continuity.  It's possible.  But I think almost for sure the stadium is a big part of Bruce's current job security.  

Here are my quick thoughts:

I get the "importance" of a new stadium - how the heck with the crapfest that Snyder/Allen have created do they expect the local politicians to agree to funding a new stadium from tax payer monies?  It's clear to me that Dan may be rich, but it's all tied up in an illiquid asset (Redskins/FedEx field) - he's lost serious money in all his business investments since buying the Skins (Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra, Six Flags) - probably explains why he's got so cheap over the past few years, and while Bruce gets "credit" for establishing fiscal responsibility - I think its more that than Bruce's "business smarts".  Finally, even if they somehow "hoodwink" some politicians and somehow they get public funding for a stadium - do they think it will "magically" fill up the stands and all will be forgiven?  Dan is delusional. 

• Like 1

I said before, it’s 2022 before there’s a chance for a change anywhere.  2019 excuse of no QB is already written.

2020 will be probably be the rookie QB year. 

2021 is the second year of QB.

Maybe after that, if things go as expected there will be a change.

its about the worst possible scenario. The roster should get somewhat better through some good drafts, but QB play will likely be spotty.

And since Jay Gruden is the coach, we know we’re going to have an unimaginative, boring, undisciplined football team that will make a late push to get to 7-9.

Shrug.  I really just don’t care nearly as much anymore.  It’s clear Dan is clueless and has no idea that Bruce, and by extension Jay, are responsible for the losing and it’s not all just bad luck.

Whatever.  I’m rooting for the saints because my wife is a Saints fan.  I’ll always be a Skins fan. But there’s reallly nothing to be a fan about at the moment.

7 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

This makes sense because the Skins haven't accomplished enough in the last 25 years to warrant enmity.

Only Redskins fans think there are rivalries, those three just think we are a joke and they are correct. 

• Sad 1