Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

10 hours ago, TheCoach22 said:

Williams deserves the chance to lead one or two draft war rooms without the board GMSM left behind. I'll also say that resigning Brown and figuring out Kirk's contract could go a long way in showing some semblance of being a legit front office.

Why though? The previous GM had a proven track record of building contending teams and was well-respected throughout the league. Williams had a stint in Tampa Bay that as previously stated produced mixed results. We don't know how involved he was, but he was a Personnel executive and Coordinator of pro scouting during that time. Those teams speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My hope on this front is that Kyle Smith is the defacto GM at least in terms of the draft.  And Doug is just a figurehead.  I think Doug was ponied out there in part because of all the bad press the team got about the Scot departure -- and they might have figured Doug would kill two birds with one stone -- win over the press and the fans.  It didn't seem to win over the fans.  But Doug is teflon with the press so that part sort of worked out.

If that is the case, why not just name Smith the GM? Games like this are just frustrating and honestly, the good teams don't do it.

The team needs a personnel guy that not only knows how to spot talent, but has the ability to stand up to the front office in defense of those players. One of the best things IMO during Mccloughan's time here was him, and Jay, standing up to the owner and straight up telling him Kirk needed to play over RG3. Allen was here before Mccloughan. Why wasn't he advocating for that? Something tells me he was on the side that needed convincing. Could you ever envision Williams or anyone in the current front office doing that?

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get plenty of beefs with the current front office structure and the players involved than just the Kirk contract.  But if today's report from Rapoport is true (and considering the source that's a big If) that the FO is still unsure about Kirk and letting him leave in FA is a viable option to them -- it takes the cake for me. They still aren't sure?  Wow.  Hopefully, he's wrong.  But considering my lack of faith in the FO decision makers I sadly consider a story like this as viable because it would be consistent to how they've played it thus far. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000881738/article/kirk-cousins-future-with-redskins-lies-in-play-down-stretch?campaign=Twitter_atn

That story got my attention a little more than normal in part because I heard on the radio yesterday that Doug apparently is heavily scouting college QBs.   Love Doug the player.  But Doug the personnel guy doesn't even remotely ooze competence to me.  I still can't get over Chris Russell in his attempt to defend the Williams choice in one segment months back was going on and on about yeah his sources have told him that Doug was a bit lazy and not the best evaluator but apparently this Spring his work ethic has been revitalized and he's now really into it.   Well, that's great to hear from one of Doug's "advocates" that he is now really into it but wasn't before. :)

I haven't really found anything relating to Doug as to judging QBs aside from reading an article about him touting himself that he prodded the Tampa Bay FO to draft Josh Freeman and he liked him over Sanchez.  We got Doug basically saying Kirk isn't a top 10 QB (with his top 15 comment in the off season) and touting how good Sudfeld looked in practice.

I suspect if there is a group still within the FO as to we can let Kirk go and we'd find another one -- Doug is part of that group and Bruce is the ring leader.  If so, hopefully Dan listens to another great former QB instead, Joe Theismann who said recently Kirk is bordering top 5 let alone top 10. 

My hope on this front is that Kyle Smith is the defacto GM at least in terms of the draft.  And Doug is just a figurehead.  I think Doug was ponied out there in part because of all the bad press the team got about the Scot departure -- and they might have figured Doug would kill two birds with one stone -- win over the press and the fans.  It didn't seem to win over the fans.  But Doug is teflon with the press so that part sort of worked out.

Even with those who tried to sell Doug last off season by talking about his part with the team.  All i can recall hearing was that Doug was a cheerleader type who boosted morale.  The Scot thing was a downer to some and Doug lifted spirits and get people to bounce back.  I don't recall anything about how it was Doug that was behind this pick or that pick or this signing or that. 

God help me, if this is true, and I wouldn't doubt it one bit, that's the final straw.

Allen has been NOTHING but a jinx to this team, let alone Snyder, even though its hard for me to put all the blame on Snyder; his biggest problem is NOSTALGIA.

If Snyder can just stay in the office, be a cheerleader, fine, but Doug Williams, Bruce Allen, Gibbs II [ will give him props for that one ] Greg Manusky, Jim Zorn, and god knows who else, all former Redskin players or popular players or people associated with history of this team.

If that fat **** Bruce Allen lets Cousins go, I'm gonna take a break from football for a few years, at least until Bruce is either fired or goes missing on a boating trip and is never found. That piece of **** has screwed the Raiders, the Buccaneers, and now the Redskins, not to mention his other shady dealings with other slimy ventures. He will stand in front of a camera and flat out lie if it makes him look good instead of telling the truth. Nothing that comes from his pie hole I believe one bit.

The sad part is, he's got Snyder's ear and has him completely confident in his judgement, and Snyder, the dumb dwarf that he is, will let Allen completely ruin this team, and believe Allen when he says it was someone elses' fault.  I am so far past despising and hatred for this man, I don't want to say what I really feel and get booted off ES.

One thing not lost on me is that there is only one constant that remains during the mediocre reigns of both Bruce and Vinny, and that is the little guy in the big office.

I will remain convinced, until proven otherwise, that the Washington Redskins franchise will continue in fail mode as long as Snyder is head man. 

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's basically Vinny Cerrato with better public speaking skills and more charisma.

Nope. He doesn't even have that over Vinny. He has the public speaking skills of a drunk sorority pledge and all the charisma of David Brinkley's corpse. 

It's time for people to accept it. He's WORSE than Vinny in every capacity. 

Bruce just bought some 7 million dollar home in Florida, I think. Let his sorry ass go live there.

when he does move in, at night, a group of people goes in, cuts the phone lines, installs a cell phone jammer, and boards up every window and door.

Then he can be considered a defector and Snyder will fire him. Hopefully.

But seriously, what is Danny's infatuation with Bruce?  He is over-bearing and a bull in a china shop for FO personnel, and makes horrible decisions on players he wants to pay and the vets he just assume go find another, as if that position player's talent level is like every other player.

Cousins should have been the icing on the cake, but we can all see now that he still has a candle, and a match to go with the cake, maybe even a knife plate and fork too!

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Bruce just bought some 7 million dollar home in Florida,

California, guy. 

Other fun read material, for those interested, are Bruce's real estate ventures in Arizona during the 80s.

Haha. 

That man was a mover and a shaker. Ha. He left a few people holding the bag a couple of times. 

Bruce just bought

Oh, and it wasn't "just" bought. He closed on it during the time he was supposedly getting Cousins signed to a contract extension. 

That house went on the market in late February and I believe he closed either in April, May or June.

Essentially at the same time the deadline for the contract extension was expiring. 

Bruce just bought some 7 million dollar home in Florida, I think. Let his sorry ass go live there.

when he does move in, at night, a group of people goes in, cuts the phone lines, installs a cell phone jammer, and

I thought that was about to go in a really dark direction.

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Other fun read material, for those interested, are Bruce's real estate ventures in Arizona during the 80s.

Haha. 

That man was a mover and a shaker. Ha. He left a few people holding the bag a couple of times. 

Interesting. I was unaware of any of those stories. After some digging this was all I could find:

Bruce Allen returns to Washington, ready to build on experience

So he started GBA Sportsworld with Bob Owens, a former assistant coach at Arizona State and UNLV. His stint as an agent, though, was controversial. He was accused of signing two players from UNLV before they were seniors, sparking an NCAA investigation. He later was fired by two of his most prominent clients, running backs Ickey Woods and Craig Heyward, who accused Allen of defrauding them and costing them money in bad real estate deals. Another client, Vince Amoia, was awarded $81,000 from Allen because of breach of contract in another bad real estate deal.

Most of the charges, which Allen denied, were revealed in a series of stories by the Los Angeles Times in 1990 and 1991. At the time, Allen blamed the disagreements on ill will from other agents who felt he had an unfair advantage because of his football pedigree.

Regardless of his past, the bottom line is his resume speaks for itself. He has never built a winner and I do not believe he will build one here. On top of that, he does not seem to be as respected around the league as McCloughan was. We all saw Mason Foster's outburst on Twitter, McCloughan describing him as a "politician", etc. To be fair, DeAngelo Hall was the one person to throw his support behind Bruce Allen this offseason, but that probably indicates he's one of Allen's "guys". He didn't look too good last week though. I imagine if McCloughan was still here he wouldn't have made the roster before the season started.

3 minutes ago, Makaveli said:

Interesting. I was unaware of any of those stories. After some digging this was all I could find:

Oh, there's more. 

A few articles on the FBI investigation, a few more lawsuits, a former secretary who was spilling the beans. 

If you're interested, reading up on the LA Thunderbolts and the Arizona Wranglers gives some great insight into the character of the man. 

Patterns emerge.

I haven't delved into the Raider years whole hog yet, information is scarce in that arena. But, that was one of the new patterns that Allen developed, which is longevity in obscurity. 

But I don't necessarily want to take the time to post my newsletter, that method drew ... uhm, a certain level of scrutiny. 

@Tsailand

Well, to that end, the 36 million dollar cap penalty has taken on a new definition and perspective for me since I've read up more on Allen, in the details, not just glossing over. 

For long now the narrative on the 36M cap penalty has been overwhelmingly shaded as someone else's fault, a league conspiracy, a witch hunt, etc. 

Yet, since impropriety, allegations and litigation, lawsuits and such have been the trademarks for Allen's various tenures after he left Richmond, it colors things differently for me. The Al Davis bully tactics, the separatist positioning and the undermining of relationships all combined shape a new definition for me on the 36M bungle****. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Monk4thaHALL If only you could have been here over the offseason in the never ending "debates" with CaliFan regarding Bruce Allen.  I'd be interested to hear him defend this history you've hipped us to.

What do you mean could have been?

I've been here since: 5a1868a1644a3_ScreenShot2017-11-24at1_44_29PM.png.1021783046811d65ac30540ad44977d2.png

I was all up in the McC firing. 

I debated back and forth with Cali too. But somehow he always pulled that impugning of logic thing. So, we never got far. 

I'm like that dude from the Val Kilmer movie who never graduated, but never left. 

Just now, Monk4thaHALL said:

What do you mean could have been?

I've been here since: 5a1868a1644a3_ScreenShot2017-11-24at1_44_29PM.png.1021783046811d65ac30540ad44977d2.png

I was all up in the McC firing. 

I debated back and forth with Cali too. But somehow he always pulled that impugning of logic thing. So, we never got far. 

I'm like that dude from the Val Kilmer movie who never graduated, but never left. 

Oh I know you've been around a while, just didn't recall any sparring with Cali on that subject.  

I get what you mean though, it got to the point I just gave up.  Basically need time stamped video and audio recordings for him to believe anything negative.

6 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

For long now the narrative on the 36M cap penalty has been overwhelmingly shaded as someone else's fault, a league conspiracy, a witch hunt, etc. 

Oh it's certainly a league conspiracy.  Any time you get 32 evil billionaires in a room together there's going to be a conspiracy.

What I don't buy is that it wasn't Snyder's fault.  These guys are his... I won't say "friends", but they are his associates.  He knows how they work.  He should have known that they would punish him for his attempt to cheat the salary cap.  The fact that his actions were 100% legal, and the league-wide conspiracy was illegal, doesn't matter.

If I'm in the mafia and I rat them out to the government, I should expect to be murdered and dumped in the ocean.  Doesn't matter than narcing is legal and murder is illegal.

9 hours ago, Tsailand said:

@Monk4thaHALLit starts with newsletters, but you end up in a shack in the woods with no electricity, writing a manifesto and building nail bombs...

Seriously though, it would be great for the franchise if some scandal came out which forced Snyder to fire Bruce.

He's a Republican which means he has the groping gene.

Too soon?

Archived