Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Colt Brennan, the new GM?  I recall he was tight was Cooley and Cooley was in on the meeting with Dan.  He's a legend with some fans still.  Hawaii connection might lead us to Tua in 2020.

How about Tanard Jackson?  He's been the missing piece all these years.  The NFL doesn't drug test front office folks.  Bruce and Dan finally find the loophole to get him back inhouse.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have to admit my main fascination is it has the feel of a stupid kind of move baked in nostalgia so what's their new version of it?   Sort of like when they reshuffled they desks to give Doug a new title.  I recall Bruce's wicked grin during that Doug press conference where he had the look of suckers -- top that!  Even though to most of the fan base it was yawn at best.  This feels like another round of this.

Trying to connect the dots.  Something that Brewer thinks they are higher about internally than the fans will be yet they think the fans will see it their way.  And they are waiting for some entanglement to unfold to pull the trigger.

FO nostalgia ties?  Another promotion for Doug?  Martin Mayhew?  Casserly?  Gibbs in some consulting role in tandem with someone else?  D. Hall?

What's Art Monk doing these days.

It's going to be a former Joe:

Gibbs

Theisman

Morris....whoops that was Jamie  :)

21 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I nominate Albert Haynesworth for Director of Player Development. 

Nah, he's perfect to head our Strength and Conditioning Department.    :)

I'm going to throw out a wild prediction and guess Marvin Lewis. 

Checks all the boxes.

1) Flashy name

2) Familiarity with Jay

3) Former Skin 

It would also fall in line with them being more excited about it than fans. I am curious to see who (if anyone) is named as new Team President, if the rumblings are to be believed.

It’s like watching a re-run of Family Matters and while Urkel used to be hilarious in his every movement, you’ve memorized his moves and the story loses its luster.

Then a year later you’re busy doing something and you notice the show came on... and it’s that episode again. You sigh deep, slightly frustrated that it’s  the same re-run you’ve seen 476 times (ignoring the fact that you’ve seen all of the episodes so  many times and there will never be another new episode again. Maybe someday they’ll remake it like Fuller House and you’ll get the excited feeling again.  Or at least that’s what you tell yourself to keep depression from setting in.)

and with a slight twitch of your finger you change the channel and don’t give it another thought.

Thats the Redskins.

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Let's also not forget Chick Hernandez's tweet from a few days ago saying we'd have "a familiar face in the building very soon", according to one of his sources. My money's on Shar Pourdanesh, personally. 

I took that to believe that it was Joe Gibbs attending our last game at Fedex Field.  Who knows.

The one person I hope it is is Joe Gibbs. And honestly not even so much for football reasons. He’s the one person with enough clout and respect from Snyder to be able to keep Bruce out of the football operations. He’s also the only guy I believe that would be able to tell Dan hey this is what I want and what needs to be done and have Dan listen. From a football perspective he doesn’t even have to do that much just defer to Kyle smith and Eric Schaefer.

As @KDawg and @Skinsinparadise are saying, this just feels like a rinse and repeat with a different color.  Everyone wanted McCloughan, and Bruce brought us McCloughan!  But, whether or not it's actually true (I believe it to be), his departure will always be tied to a perceived pissing contest with Bruce.

No matter who we bring in or who has what title, as long as Bruce is so much as allowed in the building, it'll be Bruce's show.  While I would want Schaffer or Smith to step up into a real role, the idea of bringing in a big name is just the same old ****.  The fans now don't even know who Joe Gibbs is any more than I know who George Allen is.  He's a name that was before my time.  I am 34 and barely have flickers of memory of the first Gibbs run.  The market an owner would want, from teenagers onward to build brand loyalty, would look at any of these "big names" the same way they would look at a rotary phone.

Bruce just needs to be gone with a permanent PFA.  Until he is, it's essentially multiplying by zero.  No matter how perfect the equation is, you're always going to get nothing if Bruce is involved.

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I took that to believe that it was Joe Gibbs attending our last game at Fedex Field.  Who knows.

I don't think it was Gibbs just visiting for a game.  Finlay said Gibbs visit just came out of the blue -- usually they announce it but this time he was just there.  I think Chick knows no one cares about someone visiting one day for a game -- he was suggesting someone is coming for a role.  Russell talked a little about Chick's tweet on the weekend.

So we got Brewer, Sheehan, Chick and Russell suggesting something is brewing and hinting they know who it is -- so why won't someone say it?  Guessing their sources told them to hold on to it for now and you don't want to burn your sources or its not a done deal so they don't want to look wrong?

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

No matter who we bring in or who has what title, as long as Bruce is so much as allowed in the building, it'll be Bruce's show.  While I would want Schaffer or Smith to step up into a real role, the idea of bringing in a big name is just the same old ****.  The fans now don't even know who Joe Gibbs is any more than I know who George Allen is.  He's a name that was before my time.  I am 34 and barely have flickers of memory of the first Gibbs run.  The market an owner would want, from teenagers onward to build brand loyalty, would look at any of these "big names" the same way they would look at a rotary phone.

Bruce just needs to be gone with a permanent PFA.  Until he is, it's essentially multiplying by zero.  No matter how perfect the equation is, you're always going to get nothing if Bruce is involved.

Perfectly put.  100% on the money.

7 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

The one good thing is every beat guy more or less is calling any move with Bruce still in the building as BS.  They sort of backed off of making a point like that when Doug was promoted so some fell for that promotion a little.  But I think the media and fans will pound them for any move that keeps Bruce in that building. 

2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I'm done with sexy. It seems they will never learn. Of course why would the owner and his bestie fire themselves. Never going to happen boys.  The King never steps down.

I know how to deal with kings...

guillotine-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx.jpg

Now, I also know a famous Redskins that happens to be sexy and could get fans excited:

screen-shot-2015-05-19-at-3-10-08-pm.png

Mia Khalifa, fits rights in it!

Not the opposite!!!

The fact that any front office person, not previously in the gang or of Redskins lore, can't even last a year here has made perception a reality.  Bruce has backed himself into a corner.  If they would've replaced GMSM after his release, there could be some doubt that it was something other than Bruce's ego.  Same scenario with Lafemina.  Bruce thinks he's just using scapegoats, but he's actually removing any doubt on the problem being anything but him.

One thing to consider in this conversation is that while I certainly would like to see the Redskins move on from Gruden and I would be fine with seeing the team move on from Allen, moving on from either, right now, is not only exceedingly foolish, but implausible.   In fact, one could legitimately argue that we are very fortunate both guys are already here.   Why?

Our situation with Alex Smith makes this a VERY unattractive place to work the next couple years if he is unable to play.   While Snyder would pony up whatever money is required to land whatever coach he'd want under normal times, NO "good" coaching candidate and no "good" personnel candidate will come here while there's a legitimate chance the team will have to carry so much dead money from a Smith retirement that it will be unable to legitimately compete for at least two years and likely not seriously compete for four.

And by compete I merely mean the ability to be kind of a thought in the playoff race.   

So, yes, I view Gruden as the key problem with why we falter so badly late in the season due to the injuries we sustain due to what I perceive to be a super soft culture.   I also blame Gruden for the sluggish starts where any team that practices harder than us in camp stomps our guts out while we get our football legs back.   But, honestly, he's a VERY good coach to have in place on a team that is seriously unlikely to be at all competitive if Smith retires.

And if Smith does come back, Gruden is a good enough coach that the team can kind of compete and barring injuries could as easily win the division as anyone next year.   But while there is ANY doubt, NO one is coming here and we won't have any answers until September more than likely as to that.   We may have rumors and leanings before then, but we won't REALLY know until September.   

As for Allen, I think on him as I do on someone like Grunfeld.   He's been here a while.   We've done it a number of ways.   One can't really point to any personnel type moves as simply galling but whatever we're doing also isn't working.   I mean, I LOVE both Payne and Allen, but, frankly, Payne is NOT that good as a 3-4 nose and Allen is pretty good as a 3-4 end, but both are IDEAL for a 4-3 interior.   **** doesn't really just fit well with how we are put together.   I'm NOT saying Payne isn't a good pick or that Allen isn't, but we just aren't ideally suited for what we run.   We need a fatter body at nose.   Ultimately this is why Allen can go and it's no biggie to me.

He's had a chance and we haven't improved.   But like with Gruden, no personnel guy will come to a team that may be UNABLE to do much on the personnel side other than draft for a couple years with the Smith contract hanging over us.   As such, in a way, we are probably fortunate to have any real experience in both spots at this point.   I think this logic is more suitable to someone like Gruden as a coach KNOWING he's going to lose for a few years because of the cap situation won't put that on his jacket.   A personnel guy might as we generally still consider performance a coaching responsibility without a CLEAR ability to point to a lack of personnel.

As much as I'd prefer at least Gruden to be gone and would fine with Allen gone, I think they actually represent a real benefit to us in this narrowly defined instance where Smith's future rests so heavily on the team's ability in the next couple years.   I do think we are also fortunate in that we have personnel enough defensively that a good coordinator could still come in and cut his teeth with that unit and become a head coach -- maybe our next head coach -- if Smith has to retire and he does a good enough job.   If we can get someone in here to run a 4-3 we might actually be a good defense even if we are hopeless on offense.   

Which we'll be if Smith has to retire and the losses we'll have to absorb to build a functioning roster.   Colt may be KIND of able to play a wee.   Johnson can't, and RGIII is better at everything Johnson can do, and is a barely alive third stringer.   We REALLY need Smith to come back to have much of a chance to attract anyone.   So I would anticipate 2020 before we make any serious changes IF Smith is back and 2021 if he has to retire and we JUST start to come out of that cap hell.

20 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

The one person I hope it is is Joe Gibbs. And honestly not even so much for football reasons. He’s the one person with enough clout and respect from Snyder to be able to keep Bruce out of the football operations. He’s also the only guy I believe that would be able to tell Dan hey this is what I want and what needs to be done and have Dan listen. From a football perspective he doesn’t even have to do that much just defer to Kyle smith and Eric Schaefer.

You would think so.  But Gibbs was complimentary of Vinny and that was a mess.  

I know I know you can’t get rid of Snyder.  But we’ve been down this road before Allen.  I have no hope that anybody that replaced Allen would have authority to handle football opps independent of a meddling owner.  Snyder just can’t get out of his own way.  I don’t know how he graduated kindergarten much less was able to finagle purchasing the team away from Howard Millstein.

I think things have finally gotten to the point, that even the name of Joe Gibbs wont get fans back inside the building, or caring again, or trusting the team, or excited about them, until Bruce Allen is gone.

I never thought there would be a day that the Gibbs name wouldnt be the magical cure all for fans, but I think we have hit it, and Im not sure Snyder realizes that.

EDIT:  Just a sudden thought.  What if its actually that Gibbs is buying a minority ownership stake from Snyder?  I could see them trying to pull that.  Gibbs gets 5-10% of the team, Snyder gets to put Gibbs face as part of the "Ownership Duo" of Gibbs and Snyder, and appease the fans.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

E.  He's not sure that this new President will have the power to make a decision on Jay.  There is something holding up to the announcement because its tied to something they are trying to finalize. 

Didn’t Louis Riddick recently sign either a new contract or a contract extension? What’s the buyout clause on that again?

Archived