Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Bruce may be interjecting himself into multiple areas in order to try and convince Dan that it's not that easy to replace him.  What worse about that is that his influence in multiple areas is failing but that's likely not the picture he's painting in the board room.  

I can see it as part of the soup, sure.  Ditto the stadium because even with Lafemina involved in the stadium -- Loverro (and one other guy am trying to call maybe it was Finally but don't recall for sure) said Bruce is still involved, too. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Charlie is a nice guy and would bring needed class on that front but on another front he wasn't IMO great at drafting.  We had some horrible drafts under his watch.

If they make a change I'd like an up and comer preferably.  Kyle Smith would be nice or someone of that ilk.

Charlie is 70 years old and has a pretty sweet NFLN gig. He'd not a candidate to replace Allen, but I was more wanting to try and understand how someone can fire Charlie to hire Vinny? How does one do that? 

The answer IMO is not far away.

Sean McVay got away. You want a Team President/GM who I think aligns with him, but on the front office side?

Omar Khan - 41 Year old Vice President of Football & Business Administration for the Pittsburgh Steelers

1997–2001    New Orleans Saints football operations
2001–2011    Pittsburgh Steelers Football Administration Coordinator
2011–2016    Pittsburgh Steelers Director of Football Administration
2016–present    Pittsburgh Steelers Vice President of Football & Business Administration

Over 20 years in the NFL. With the Steelers through 2 Superbowls. Give the keys to this young man and get out of his way for a decade +. Let him rebuild the entire front office, scouting, medical, coaching, EVERYTHING.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/30/teams-in-need-of-a-gm-are-missing-the-boat-on-steelers-omar-khan/

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, remember when some folks here arrogantly told us that while not conventional, this FO setup is working, and we just can’t see it because of our irrational hate for Bruce?

Owning and running an NFL team has pretty objective measurements, wins and losses.  In the end, nothing else really matters.  Starting the 2000 season, this team has stunk: 

115-156-1  42.3%

5 winning seasons

4 playoff seasons

2 divisional titles

How Synder continues to stand for this less than mediocre product is ridiculous.  He has a billion dollar company that is producing **** and it seems as though he is okey dokey with it.  How many more seats will he cover up before he decides to take action and fix what everyone else knows is broken?

9 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Owning and running an NFL team has pretty objective measurements, wins and losses.  In the end, nothing else really matters.  Starting the 2000 season, this team has stunk: 

115-156-1  42.3%

5 winning seasons

4 playoff seasons

2 divisional titles

How Synder continues to stand for this less than mediocre product is ridiculous.  He has a billion dollar company that is producing **** and it seems as though he is okey dokey with it.  How many more seats will he cover up before he decides to take action and fix what everyone else knows is broken?

If he's actually been doing what is feared and making decisions channeled through Bruce... Dan's not gonna fire himself, nor is he going to be quick to give up that ability and power.  The puppeteer can't blame the puppet for not selling out his shows and claim a bad product.  

Lets hope this isnt the fact, and Dan is starting to see the issues that have been pointed out many times... 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

If Bruce is telling the coaches who to play and how many reps they should get that's insane.

It basically implies that Gruden is completely undermined in his role. I alluded to that a few days backs as being the dirt that would fly if Gruden left.

If that story is true, then Gruden will want out. His reaction after we won Sunday may be the actions of a man fighting for his reputation more than anything else. 

Interesting to see how this unfolds, although the whole thing has a distasteful undercurrent.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

It basically implies that Gruden is completely undermined in his role. I alluded to that a few days backs as being the dirt that would fly if Gruden left.

If that story is true, then Gruden will want out. His reaction after we won Sunday may be the actions of a man fighting for his reputation more than anything else. 

Interesting to see how this unfolds, although the whole thing has a distasteful undercurrent.

The important thing is that this become a bigger story. Our only real hope as fans is that the level to which we're a laughingstock becomes so undeniable than even Snyder has to confront it.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

The important thing is that this become a bigger story. Our only real hope as fans is that the level to which we're a laughingstock becomes so undeniable than even Snyder has to confront it.

Haven't we reached that point, yet?

The stadium is reportedly half empty and half of those attending are wearing the wrong jerseys.  Are we really down to 20k Redskins fans at any given game?

It wasn't all that long ago that you couldn't get a Redskins ticket without moving a mountain.  Now you can probably find them in any trash can near Fed-Ex shortly after kickoff.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Agreed. Although I'm not sure what scale that would need to get to on Snyder's radar. Does he even have one? Prior to the Jags game I thought Bruce was on borrowed time, seems like since then his position of strength over Snyder keeps being reinforced. Not sure what breaks that link.

4 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

The stadium is reportedly half empty and half of those attending are wearing the wrong jerseys.  Are we really down to 20k Redskins fans at any given game?

It wasn't all that long ago that you couldn't get a Redskins ticket without moving a mountain.  Now you can probably find them in any trash can near Fed-Ex shortly after kickoff.

Has Bruce been fired? The answers to that question and your question are conjoined.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agreed. Although I'm not sure what scale that would need to get to on Snyder's radar. Does he even have one? Prior to the Jags game I thought Bruce was on borrowed time, seems like since then his position of strength over Snyder keeps being reinforced. Not sure what breaks that link.

Don't know. Would think there has to be one, but it's hard to find what level we'd have to reach. As I say, our only hope is that we find and reach it.

6 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

I agree...and sadly I think the "let's be heard" mentality isn't going to get us very far. 

Turning in your fan card (something I recall a group doing back in 2009 has less leverage now than it did. For one, the organization itself has already admitted that sellouts don't exist anymore (much different than what we were hearing 8-10 years ago. Secondly, that's just a drop in the bucket when it comes to revenue, etc. I'm sure Snyder hates the negative perception, but the new stadium that's coming in the relative short-term will cure that for a while. With a new location, smaller venue, etc. it is going to sell out.

So, I just don't think we have as much control over any of this. Fans like to think the Redskins care if we walk away, but they don't really. 

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I suggest you to go back to the days when we traded for HHCD.

Coaches were telling left and right that they intended to insert him slowly into the lineup. That they'll ease his way into the team and so on.

That might be coach speak, but in the end, HHCD played most of the game snaps. And since then our D went south...

Always found it weird that coaches said X and did Y.

And as I've said it since that Foster's presser, Gruden seems like a guy that wants out. We're reaching a point where I believe even for 10M all the troubles wouldn't be worth it.

Gruden resigning from his job and not keeping his mouth shut there after, that would be huge against Bruce as Jay's supposedly a friend of him. Though reports have been surfacing that the two had divergences lately.

54 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree...and sadly I think the "let's be heard" mentality isn't going to get us very far. 

Turning in your fan card (something I recall a group doing back in 2009 has less leverage now than it did. For one, the organization itself has already admitted that sellouts don't exist anymore (much different than what we were hearing 8-10 years ago. Secondly, that's just a drop in the bucket when it comes to revenue, etc. I'm sure Snyder hates the negative perception, but the new stadium that's coming in the relative short-term will cure that for a while. With a new location, smaller venue, etc. it is going to sell out.

So, I just don't think we have as much control over any of this. Fans like to think the Redskins care if we walk away, but they don't really. 

Get the point but I think its totally the opposite.   Listening to different people who cover the team -- Dan and company are very concerned about the waning fan interest and that's the main reason why new people were hired to deal with it.   

The new stadium isn't happening for another 8 years and according to some, they are behind schedule -- the idea that the fans are losing interest now doesn't help their leverage at all if they want any state-city funding help.   

As an example, Bruce sold Richmond that they'd make up for the expense for training camp via fan spending in their city but that never materialized.   The team being on the wane with fan support is rotten luck for them as they pursue the stadium.

Declining TV ratings, stadium attendance, more apathy then anger = as some who cover the team have said this is the bottom-low point in Dan's tenure.

My guess is as fans we might never has as much leverage if we complain than we do now.  I won't get into it to protect people's privacy but I sent communication to the team about my beefs and I ended up getting a phone call about it (no it wasn't from Bruce but someone fairly high up) and I discussed it.  I shared the incident with someone here in a PM.  But yeah based on that conversation I don't think the reaction at Redskins Park is yawn when it comes to fan anger.    As Vinny himself said Dan really pays attention when the anger reaches his door step.   But yeah i don't think confining these complaints to a blog means anything on these points but if you hit up Redskins Park, yeah I do think they will notice.   I think letters are the strongest because its a hard copy and most noticeable 

For anyone wanting to have a go at it carpe diem.  I only think its in vein if hardly anyone does it. 

Am guessing the main minority owners email is this:

rothmanr@redskins.com

Email: washingtonredskinsfans@redskins.com (general)
Email: clubinfo@redskins.com (seats)

Daniel Snyder
Redskin Park
21300 Redskin Park Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147-6100

“I think that the owner of the team isn’t always aware of everything,” Hernandez said Thursday morning. “We might assume it, but he’s not aware of everything that goes on. He doesn’t do social network stuff. He doesn’t have e-mail. So you’re talking about a guy who doesn’t see all of that.”

“How can he not have e-mail?” Eric Bickel interjected. “That’s impossible to believe.”

And indeed, it kind of is.

“No e-mail,” Hernandez said again. “He’s Howard Hughes, dude. He’s one of those guys.”

This still seemed too absurd to believe (sorry Chick), but a team spokesman confirmed to me that Snyder does not, in fact, have e-mail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/28/daniel-snyder-doesnt-do-e-mail/?utm_term=.0a73e86c545e

51 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm sure Snyder hates the negative perception, but the new stadium that's coming in the relative short-term will cure that for a while. With a new location, smaller venue, etc. it is going to sell out.

Isn't reducing the size of the stadium to assure a sellout the wrong thought process?  How about providing a solid product that is in demand?  The NFL isn't going to be happy with a smaller stadium and Snyder will feel the pinch in concessions and merch.

14 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Isn't reducing the size of the stadium to assure a sellout the wrong thought process?  How about providing a solid product that is in demand?  The NFL isn't going to be happy with a smaller stadium and Snyder will feel the pinch in concessions and merch.

Id imagine with the way things are going, smaller venues will be the trend and the NFL will have no issues with it.  In fact the smaller venues provide better tv optics.  The big massive stadiums are likely going to be a short term trend and stadiums like jerrys world and mbz will be few and far between.   With tv options, gambling, fantasy football, and countless other things, selling 100,000 seats to a pro football game is not easy.  Id guess that the number is somewhere near 60,000.  With Capital One, Nats Park, and other entertainement venues, its not going to be like Jerrys world that hosts NCAA tournanment games, monster truck rallys, or even a large amount of other sporting events. 

Sprinkle in a few here and there, but to build a stadium visible from space would be excessive and a money pit.  

Brian Lafemina is not part of Bruce and Dans good old boy network, the guy is respected and known to be top in his field.

His job is to understand the temp of the fanbase so there's no way in hell I'm buying that Dan doesn't know what's going on, maybe before Lafemina was hired but not now.

We'll see what happens with him, he's in a tough spot because he just got here and I know the last thing he wants to do is tell Dan the entire city hates Bruce Allen but its either that or he resigns because as long as Bruce is here Lafemina is spinning his wheels.  He can be the best COO in sports but as long as Bruce is around he doesn't stand much of a chance.

I know Lafemina and EB from the Junkies kind of got buddy buddy with each other earlier this year, I can't imagine that EB doesn't tell him some of the things that fans say on the show.

I agree with @Rufus T Firefly, the media needs to apply pressure with this story.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Brian Lafemina is not part of Bruce and Dans good old boy network, the guy is respected and known to be top in his field.

His job is to understand the temp of the fanbase so there's no way in hell I'm buying that Dan doesn't know what's going on, maybe before Lafemina was hired but not now.

We'll see what happens with him, he's in a tough spot because he just got here and I know the last thing he wants to do is tell Dan the entire city hates Bruce Allen but its either that or he resigns because as long as Bruce is here Lafemina is spinning his wheels.  He can be the best COO in sports but as long as Bruce is around he doesn't stand much of a chance.

I know Lafemina and EB from the Junkies kind of got buddy buddy with each other earlier this year, I can't imagine that EB doesn't tell him some of the things that fans say on the show.

I agree with @Rufus T Firefly, the media needs to apply pressure with this story.

I also think because of that, if Lafemina is doing his job, there's no way Snyder is as out of the loop and unaware of fan sentiment as some have speculated. Besides which, if nothing else, Snyder has to have seen the bottom line. He must see how the revenues have dipped this year and that began well before the injuries.

Archived