Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Snyder, sell the team and be done with it.  Throw in the towel and unload the team while some other idiot with 3B will buy it, maybe Bezos who seems bent on owning the town.  Ping Bezos and take your money Snyder and let us be rid of you and let Bezos pick the new guys because he has to be better than you Snyder.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I just gotta say what if. What if we signed Bill Parcells after getting rid of Marty in 2001 instead of bringing Vinny back. Imagine that Parcells has full control, and is all buddy buddy with Snyder, hires a good football coach and puts us on a path towards relevancy

I'd hire Parcells to do what he did in Miami to simply be in charge of hiring a GM, he ended up hiring Ireland who is arguably a stud in NO.    Sort of what the Jets did with Casserly years ago. 

12 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Neutral on Dungy what is your beef with the guy?

I'm not interested in continuing to hire coaches that no other team wants to hire. Especially retired ones. Dungy is the past of the NFL and brings nothing I specifically want in a modern NFL coach that only he can bring--which is the only reason I'd pull someone out of retirement. He's not nearly good enough to pull out of his media job. He's overrated to begin with but I think I've laid out enough relevant, big picture reasons without having to actually crap on the guy for the career he's already had. 

21 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm not interested in continuing to hire coaches that no other team wants to hire. Especially retired ones. Dungy is the past of the NFL and brings nothing I specifically want in a modern NFL coach that only he can bring--which is the only reason I'd pull someone out of retirement. He's not nearly good enough to pull out of his media job. He's overrated to begin with but I think I've laid out enough relevant, big picture reasons without having to actually crap on the guy for the career he's already had. 

4Hq2x6t.gif

35 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not to mention that Dungy retired with Peyton Manning as his QB.  

Its unlikely hed have have any interest in coming back to coach Colt McCoy while suffering 50+ million dollars of dead cap space.

It wasn't Veryoldschool who brought up the Dungy thing, it was me, so no point in jumping on him.

It was just an idea I had; I didn't say it was a good one. I'm just on the fence with hiring some college wannabe NFL HC who will say whatever he can to get his foot in the door.  This entire organization has had its fill with smooth talkers, so if its going to be a college coach, he better be a damn good one, not a flash in the pan 1 or 2 year wonder boy, and I just don't know of any who are.  Besides, we've went the college way before; remember flubber lips?

I'd prefer another up and coming OC or DC from the NFL. We HAD that in McVay, and let him go. Should have dumped Gruden's sorry ass to the curb 3 years ago when we HAD an offense that could move the ball.  Now we have an entire TEAM doing nothing but scratching theirs.

Has anyone created a list of candidates for HC or GM yet?

I just don't want to be the new Cleveland Browns, but I'm realizing the Redskins are closer than most think.   I

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the 2nd part of the point is the operative one for me -- they have been mediocre to stinking under his watch but the kicker to me by far is all the dump crap that's humiliating and makes the team a laughing stock.   And we know there is always something new that will pop up soon enough.

It's pretty impressive for someone to make you long for the vinnie days (not really, but close!). Under vinnies watch we were just mostly bumbling and ineffective. Under bruce we have gone to great new lows as a franchise. It is becoming more and more difficult to be a fan of this team - hence the empty seats.

It's too deeply ingrained in me. I wish almost every day I could move on from this team but I just cannot. It's been too big a part of my life for way too long. But I certainly understand others making that decision. 

If they keep bruce, that may finally break me. 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It's too deeply ingrained in me. I wish almost every day I could move on from this team but I just cannot. It's been too big a part of my life for way too long. But I certainly understand others making that decision. 

Likewise.  

Contrary to popular belief, I desperately want to be a homer.  But as I grow older and wiser, it’s become increasingly difficult to get behind them in any fashion.  Obviously losIng with regularity plays into that but I loved the Gibbs teams even when we lost.  Of course I would get mad, but it didn’t stick with me.  

There are are so many parallels for me between this team and my former employer.  I used to tell anyone who would listen how great our company was and when any bad news came out, I’d immediately downplay it.  I could always find ways to rationalize the mistakes. But over time, watching everything deteriorate coupled with learning more and more about those who call the shots, I grew incredibly sour.  As a leader, I had to harness my negative feelings and put some semblance of spin on things just to keep our ship afloat.  Eventually it got to the point where I was no longer capable of doing that anymore.  I could no longer insult my team members intelligence to continue spinning the executives BS into some form of positivity.  We ended up rallying together behind our disdain for the powers that be.  

That’s a lot like my relationship with the Redskins right now.

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It's pretty impressive for someone to make you long for the vinnie days (not really, but close!). Under vinnies watch we were just mostly bumbling and ineffective. Under bruce we have gone to great new lows as a franchise. It is becoming more and more difficult to be a fan of this team - hence the empty seats.

I was just talking to my brother about this. Back with Vinnie it was almost endearing the way we bumbled around. Like the Bad News Bears. Losing wasn't fun, but it wasn't what it is now. Under Bruce there's a disgust beyond the lack of winning. Heck, the Gruden era has had some of the more competitive teams we have had in over 2 decades. But with Bruce, there is an underlying disease that we can all see. We can't even lose with dignity. 

Count me in the group of Lifers that probably couldn't get away if I wanted to, but if Bruce is retained i may be reevaluating that situation. 

16 minutes ago, dballer said:

I was just talking to my brother about this. Back with Vinnie it was almost endearing the way we bumbled around. Like the Bad News Bears. Losing wasn't fun, but it wasn't what it is now. Under Bruce there's a disgust beyond the lack of winning. Heck, the Gruden era has had some of the more competitive teams we have had in over 2 decades. But with Bruce, there is an underlying disease that we can all see. We can't even lose with dignity. 

Count me in the group of Lifers that probably couldn't get away if I wanted to, but if Bruce is retained i may be reevaluating that situation. 

I like your signature. What's interesting is there has been great debate on who actually started that line. Some credit Frank but most say it was Dean Martin. I first heard of Dean using that line during their live shows at the Sands while filming Oceans 11. As you probably know they would finish 14 to 16 hrs of shooting and go to the Sands and do several hours of stand-up together. There is a great CD of one of the performances. There is also a video released of a closed circuit broadcast of a Frank Sinatra charity show in which Dean. Frank and Sammy did most of their stuff from the Sands shows. Johnny Carson was the MC as Joey Bishop was sick. 

The interesting thing is that Dean is the one who told that joke in all those performances with Frank. I would think if it were Frank's joke that he would not want Dean stealing it. Having said that, Dean was known to do, and get away with, anything he could to mess with Frank. Stuff no one else would dare to do. For example it was well known that Frank did not like brown suits. He did not want people in his bands or in his movies to wear them. So Dean used to show up many times in brown suits, just to mess with Frank. Dean and Don Rickles were the only ones who get away with stuff like that with Frank. Others would be banished and then blackballed for life. See Peter Lawford. 

Anyway, you probably already knew much of that but thought I would share anyway. It allows me to take a respite from ****ing about bruce, and hoping his ass gets fired really soon. Thanks for providing the impetus for the break. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I like your signature. What's interesting is there has been great debate on who actually started that line. Some credit Frank but most say it was Dean Martin. I first heard of Dean using that line during their live shows at the Sands while filming Oceans 11. As you probably know they would finish 14 to 16 hrs of shooting and go to the Sands and do several hours of stand-up together. There is a great CD of one of the performances. There is also a video released of a closed circuit broadcast of a Frank Sinatra charity show in which Dean. Frank and Sammy did most of their stuff from the Sands shows. Johnny Carson was the MC as Joey Bishop was sick. 

The interesting thing is that Dean is the one who told that joke in all those performances with Frank. I would think if it were Frank's joke that he would not want Dean stealing it. Having said that, Dean was known to do, and get away with, anything he could to mess with Frank. Stuff no one else would dare to do. For example it was well known that Frank did not like brown suits. He did not want people in his bands or in his movies to wear them. So Dean used to show up many times in brown suits, just to mess with Frank. Dean and Don Rickles were the only ones who get away with stuff like that with Frank. Others would be banished and then blackballed for life. See Peter Lawford. 

Anyway, you probably already knew much of that but thought I would share anyway. I it allows me to take a respite from ****ing about bruce, and hoping his ass gets fired really soon. Thanks for providing the impetus for the break. 

Funny thing, i heard it being said by Dean Martin, but when I looked it up it was always credited to Sinatra. But, now I just did a little more digging after your comment, and it looks like it may actually have been Jack Lemmon first. 

Due to the questioning of who actually said it first, i may just start taking credit myself lol.

I wonder whose idea it was to get Mark Sanchez. Bless his heart, but when the predominant thing anyone knows about a former QB is a rare and elusive butt fumble, you are asking for even more bad PR.  Nothing hardcore mind you, but it almost just reinforces that our front office is a laughing stock.  And this has nothing to do with Sanchez's abilities of course, but reality is, that is simply what he is known best for here in the year 2018.  Heck he got asked about it by OUR media. Everyone is laughing.  Even Mark, whose long planned, well thought out and executed butt recovery was a decent try at clearing his name.

In the end barring him leading us to the playoffs, signing him and seeing him benched already just reeks of another skid Mark on Bruce's resume.

This is so bad but honestly if I had one sports related wish (now that the Caps finally got the Cup), it would probably be to randomly wake up and see a report about DC being awarded an expansion football team. 

The area connection is the only thing keeping me around. I just want an opportunity to be proud to be a fan 

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

It wasn't Veryoldschool who brought up the Dungy thing, it was me, so no point in jumping on him.

It was just an idea I had; I didn't say it was a good one. I'm just on the fence with hiring some college wannabe NFL HC who will say whatever he can to get his foot in the door.  This entire organization has had its fill with smooth talkers, so if its going to be a college coach, he better be a damn good one, not a flash in the pan 1 or 2 year wonder boy, and I just don't know of any who are.  Besides, we've went the college way before; remember flubber lips?

I'd prefer another up and coming OC or DC from the NFL. We HAD that in McVay, and let him go. Should have dumped Gruden's sorry ass to the curb 3 years ago when we HAD an offense that could move the ball.  Now we have an entire TEAM doing nothing but scratching theirs.

Has anyone created a list of candidates for HC or GM yet?

I just don't want to be the new Cleveland Browns, but I'm realizing the Redskins are closer than most think.   I

Wasn’t trying to jump at him. 

Just the idea lol 

17 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

A dirty Sanchez perhaps?

Ya see. He is the butt end of endless jokes.  Who are we kidding, so are we.  If the shoe fits....

We have to have the lowest rated PR department, of any team.  Who is worse?  Watch Wyille become our next president.

I bet Bruce was afraid of a PR nightmare of going after Josh Gordon, even though its basically legal now here.  Probably from watching his favorite 1936 movie over and over. And went with the safer choice with a DUI incident instead.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I wonder whose idea it was to get Mark Sanchez. 

I’d love for that to be something we can pin on Bruce, but other than Sanchez being terrible and cheap, this doesn’t smell like a Bruce move.  

If I had to guess, Jay was convinced into Sanchez by Cavanaugh and O’Connell, due to their familiarity with him.  He may have looked better in shorts as well.

Listened to Sheehan's podcast with Loverro.

He said a good source to the FO is telling him that they are rationalizing fan discontent to be driven by the dissatisfaction of watching backup QBs play.

Loverro saying though he heard Lafemina is involved with the stadium now -- Bruce is still in that mix and implied that's part of why he has his hooks in with Dan right now.  He said he knows some people who are on the back end of the stadium push and they still hear from Bruce on it directly

There are a few things that would concern me to a great extent:

1) Bruce isn't let go.

2) If Gruden is removed and Allen isn't OR Gruden is removed BEFORE Allen is.

3) If we don't hire an agency to hire a new GM.

The first two things are mind numbingly painful to think about happening. The third thing is the first step in restoring the franchise.

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He said a good source to the FO is telling him that they are rationalizing fan discontent to be driven by the dissatisfaction of watching backup QBs play.

Loverro saying though he heard Lafemina is involved with the stadium now -- Bruce is still in that mix and implied that's part of why he has his hooks in with Dan right now.  He said he knows some people who are on the back end of the stadium push and they still hear from Bruce on it directly

The Junkies had Rick Snyder on yesterday and he was implying that Bruce isn't as involved in the stadium because VA has kinda bowed out due to the Amazon relocation. 

Its seeming like a battle between National Harbor and RFK. I'll be honest. I prefer National Harbor. RFK is doing too much of what Snyder does - hang on to old things he had no part of. He needs to be doing soemthing new. The Harbor is right off 295, 495 and 95. Its at the mix of MD, VA and DC, there's already an ecosystem there so it wouldn't be like the current stadium in trying to make an area a target. Problem is the metro access, but they've got to have some possibilities there right?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is so much wrong with this.  I cannot comprehend the level of willful ignorance it requires to pin this level of apathy on watching backup quarterbacks play.  Sounds like we’re right back to where we were again, where these guys truly believe they’ve put together a winner and unluckily have an injury problem again.  Sadly, I see a scenario where everyone in the building convinces Dan of this.  Dan needs to personally view twitter, this forum and the like, and all forms of social media to confirm what his stadium is already telling him.  There is more to it than just not wanting to watch Butt fumble live in action.  They didn’t want to watch you when you were at your very best.  Get a freaking clue!

Archived