Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

14 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Allen will not get fired and anyone who thinks he will is just fooling themselves.

If Dan can find another Bruce/Vinny that will willingly take bullets to keep Dan's amazing Wile E Coyote-esque talent in the background you know he'll happily roll another one out there.

He's already sort of replaced Bruce twice with Scot and now Doug. Whatever keeps the heat off his meddling ass is fair game but it has been obvious both times that those guys, Scot and Doug, aren't really in charge of anything. Why does anyone believe that Bruce actually is either?

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Danny eventually let go of his other BFF in Vinny so I have some hope.

Piecing together different narratives from people covering the team, I am convinced that Dan understands fans are unhappy but is confused about one thing:

A.  Hey you wanted me not to interfere and I am not so what gives?

Many people covering the team have said Dan rarely if ever interferes anymore.  But if so, what he obviously misses is its not about getting out of the way for a sleazy and incompetent executive and let him do his thing.  We weren't looking for Dan to hire his version of a mini-Dan who acts and thinks like he does.  We wanted a real kick butt executive who can present the organization with class and competent.  We weren't looking for Vinny Part 2 but Beathard Part 2. 

If Danny is really that confused, he's just about as dumb as I suspected. In fact, probably even moreso. 

There is no hope.

If Bruce gets canned, he will just get replaced with another yes man who will have Snyder’s balls in his mouth 24/7.

He runs this team like a fraternity. Only people who will be his “buddy” gets the job. There’s documentation showing Snyder hates criticism, and won’t stand for someone who calls him out. 

Snyder will never sell the team. I think there was an offer a few years ago where Ronnie Mervis (diamond guy) offered to buy the team, and Snyder didn’t accept. We are basically tied to him until he dies, and even then he’ll most likeley keep it in the family

23 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

He runs this team like a fraternity. Only people who will be his “buddy” gets the job. There’s documentation showing Snyder hates criticism, and won’t stand for someone who calls him out. 

The Redskins ran buy a real world version of this guy:

goodlife7.jpg

Like he used to say, he never makes the same mistake twice.

No he'll just make different dumb  decisions but consistency in making them is the key.

25 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Snyder will never sell the team. I think there was an offer a few years ago where Ronnie Mervis (diamond guy) offered to buy the team, and Snyder didn’t accept. We are basically tied to him until he dies, and even then he’ll most likeley keep it in the family

I don't think that was ever real. Just a fan petition type deal.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think that was ever real. Just a fan petition type deal.

Oh my bad. But it’s getting harder and harder to purchase a team, as the value of the franchise is more than it was when Snyder bought it in 98. Think it’s worth over 2 billion now...

Who has that kind of buying power and has the interest in running an NFL team at the same time in 2018? Elon Musk? Jeff Bezos?

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Oh my bad. But it’s getting harder and harder to purchase a team, as the value of the franchise is more than it was when Snyder bought it in 98. Think it’s worth over 2 billion now...

Who has that kind of buying power and has the interest in running an NFL team at the same time in 2018? Elon Musk? Jeff Bezos?

Yeah, this is probably the biggest issue.  There are few people who can get 3 billion together, which is what Forbes has it worth now.

6 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I know it's very rare but maybe a partnership or an investors group

Jeff Bezos could buy every NFL team and still be set for life

Unfortunately the NFL is lobbying to make him purchase the Seahawks

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I think Dan is the last person to figure out what Bruce is.  The rest of us have known for years.

The sad thing is I think he knows... he's just got some delusion that Bruce can change because he want's to keep Bruce around.  Bruce does what he says, he's got 'legacy' status being the son of a great, and he's positioned Bruce to be the punching bag despite the fact that he's never available to be punched.  It's a win / win / win for Dan. 

He cannot be reassigned to some other role. As long as he's in the building, he is trouble. Brewer captures it well in his latest column, "He can't do his job, and he gets in the way of others doing theirs." I agree 100%. But you can't keep him in the organization. He will find a way to undermine others in authority who cast a shadow over his mediocrity and ineptitude. God, I wish Snyder would wake up! This guy has had the wool over his eyes for way too long.

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

The sad thing is I think he knows... he's just got some delusion that Bruce can change because he want's to keep Bruce around.  Bruce does what he says, he's got 'legacy' status being the son of a great, and he's positioned Bruce to be the punching bag despite the fact that he's never available to be punched.  It's a win / win / win for Dan. 

I used to think this somewhat but after reading Hoffman’s take, it seems much more realistic.  That Dan and Bruce are buddies and that a lot of what Bruce does is what Dan would do as well.  Basically that’s the worst possible scenario fo Redskins fans and what seems to be the most realistic.  

George Allen's son knows this and is using it to the fullest advantage. It's a real shame for the organization, for the fans, and certainly for prospects for our productivity on the field. It will take someone of greater stature (in Snyder's eyes) to talk to him and help him realize what poison this guy has brought to the organization. No one short of Gibbs or a group of A-listers from the 80s squads can probably get to Snyder to talk some sense into him.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I used to think this somewhat but after reading Hoffman’s take, it seems much more realistic.  That Dan and Bruce are buddies and that a lot of what Bruce does is what Dan would do as well.  Basically that’s the worst possible scenario fo Redskins fans and what seems to be the most realistic.  

What makes it even worse is that it appears Dan listens to us as fans more than he does the football people in the building.  I want Bruce gone and I want Jay gone.  So does the majority of the fanbase.  Dan likely feels that and is going to be forced to make a move, not because he agrees wit hit, but because he feels he has no choice.  Any good business man, in a customer based business, listens to their consumers to an extent.  They also are constantly looking ahead to try to prevent public outcry.  Dan waits until the fans force him to play his hand instead of being proactive.  The people running the franchise need to be smarter than us.  They need to believe in what they are doing, and us minions should only be a portion of their influence in decision making.  Bruce should have been shown the door 5 min after Scot was fired, because it was about as good a time to rebuild as any we had been in. 

We weren't strapped with a large QB contract

We weren't loaded down with expensive contracts

We weren't on the brink of making any realistic run at long term postseason success

The division was on the brink of being out of reach

Dan needs to stop basing his decisions on what ifs, maybes, and could be's and start making decisions based on whats best long term for the team.  This is a clear and open window for him to make a move at GM and build the team.  We're going to struggle for the next 2 years regardless of what moves are made (or not made) so lets look at where we can possibly be in 3 years.  I don't think there is ANY way that Bruce OR Jay are a part of that equation, so why delay it?  Dan has a chance to be a GOOD business manager and understand the projection of the franchise.  I don't want to wait on Bruce because that's 3 important weeks of whoever is in the GM position to see what's currently on the roster.  If you want to wait til the end of the season to get rid of Jay, I guess I can see that as I don't really think anyone is going to put us in a better position to make the postseason... even though we're technically not out of it. 

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Bruce should have been shown the door 5 min after Scot was fired, because it was about as good a time to rebuild as any we had been in. 

We weren't strapped with a large QB contract

We weren't loaded down with expensive contracts

We weren't on the brink of making any realistic run at long term postseason success

The division was on the brink of being out of reach

The only glimmer I have is that, given the nature of NFL contracts, you're never more than a season or two away from clearing the deck entirely. This isn't baseball where a GM could walk into year 3 of a 10-year, $290M contract for an aging player. Even the impact of the horrible Smith extension will be history by the time the players jog off the field in late-December of 2020. 

That doesn't make your point above "wrong" at all...just that it's never a disaster with rebuilding in the NFL because every window is 3-4 years. 

Archived