Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

For a few years now I have been telling myself that I'm not going to care as much how the skins do. I think it's a defense mechanism to try and not be so disappointed.  But I'm always here, always follow the games and follow how the rest of the division is doing. I feel like this next cpl of years is going to be a make or break type run, not so much for the franchise but as for me as a fan. If I lose my love for the skins idk if that's something I will be able to overcome and chose to follow them again, even if they start winning. Which I think is where a lot of fans might be mentally.  Maybe they will acquire a new era of fandom from the younger generations if they were to start being a competent franchise. I just hope I can hang on long enough to save my relationship with them.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just saw this on twitter, if you click on it you can pull up the whole thing.  IMO it was well said.

It's nice and all, but he might as well stop watching. It's obvious d that the team does not give a damn about stuff like this. Everything is fine, and theyll continue rearranging furniture in a smoldering ruin

22 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It's nice and all, but he might as well stop watching. It's obvious d that the team does not give a damn about stuff like this. Everything is fine, and theyll continue rearranging furniture in a smoldering ruin

Yeah.

But we are close!

I think the idea of them not caring what the fans think -- judging by what some of the beat guys are saying -- that's true and not true depending on the perspective.

Sounds like people (Bruce) have sold Dan that the fans are just upset because of how the season ended versus having holistic gripes about how the team operates and in turn fans will embrace them again this season when they rock and roll their way into the playoffs.  Or some version of that narrative.

My theory is I think Bruce bought himself some time with that sell but his luck will run out if what he's selling proves to be false.  So I think all these fans gripes will ultimately become relevant if the season goes south in 2019.  But who knows.  Will see. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My theory is I think Bruce bought himself some time with that sell but his luck will run out if what he's selling proves to be false.  So I think all these fans gripes will ultimately become relevant if the season goes south in 2019.  But who knows.  Will see. 

If the team starts 6-3 and fans still aren't showing up?  I don't necessarily see 6-3, but the apathy feeling isn't just going to go away with a few wins (maybe for some).  I think this team is going to need to show some next level **** to overcome the frustration/gripes. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the team starts 6-3 and fans still aren't showing up?  I don't necessarily see 6-3, but the apathy feeling isn't just going to go away with a few wins (maybe for some).  I think this team is going to need to show some next level **** to overcome the frustration/gripes. 

40 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

For me, it's several seasons, before I ever believe again.

Throughout his tenure as owner, Snyder has been able to dupe fans like this by overseeing the occasional  9-7/10-6 oasis amid a desert of 4-12/6-10 suck.

I'm not getting duped anymore.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:33 AM, goskins10 said:

This is a false statement. Just in terms of draft picks alone he made a very positive impact. And what you and everyone who likes to trash him ignore is that he made huge strides in the back end of the roster so that when injuries happen guys stepped right in. That is also good on the staff but he was very good at finding the right talent for the system. If you look at people with what are considered "good drafts' there are about on par. 

You can't blame him for Bruce trading away or letting people walk, or injuries for that matter. Coming out of college Josh was one of th best if not the best WR prospect. That was widely agreed to most anyone paying attention. It has not worked out but that happens in the draft. Sherff, Jones, Corwder, Fuller Iaonnidis all impctful players. Jarrett was headed that way until injuries set him back. In 16 games with only 6 starts he had 58 tackles, 4 passes defended and a FF. 

Scot may have had his problems personally, but he was doing a good job picking players - especially when you consider BA not letting him do what was needed in FA. And we don't know where else Bruce shot him down. 

image.thumb.png.e4caf8aeed735fe862d5c49eb871835b.png

JONES???? WHAT???? Dude is out of the league right now. Preston is inconsistent, Crowder is alright but nothing special, Fuller is okay but not great in KC, and Matt I is good. So like I said that’s two impactful picks in 2 years that he’s produced for us. And that doesn’t even begin to cover his abysmal FA.

17 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

JONES???? WHAT???? Dude is out of the league right now. Preston is inconsistent, Crowder is alright but nothing special, Fuller is okay but not great in KC, and Matt I is good. So like I said that’s two impactful picks in 2 years that he’s produced for us. And that doesn’t even begin to cover his abysmal FA.

I did mis-type Jones it was supposed to be Smith. You can marginalize the players in your own mind but that does not make if factual. Not to mention you and others continue to ignore the back end of the roster. You can blame Bruce for the major FAs - or lack there of. Scot did a very good job here despite the bull**** he had to work with in terms of Dan and Bruce.  Last response as you clearly have your opinion regardless of the facts. 

9 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

Sure, don't get me wrong, I think this will blow up in their faces.  I don't care for Bruce to say the least but at the same time I don't blame him for selling Dan on this behind the scenes otherwise what rationale would he lean on to keep his job -- hey Dan wait to my year 12 then we will finally start rocking?

I don't think they will go 6-3 at least with the roster as its currently constructed so I don't think that theory will be tested.  But if so, they'd need some pizzaz to the season IMO for people to get into this team.  I've said before in a weird way Bruce has hurt Dan's brand with fans IMO more than Vinny -- because with Bruce they've not only won less but the team has also become really boring.   And by that I mean to casual fans.  Most of us would watch any version of this team.  But for more casual fans I don't think this team has much juice.  I saw the list of the top 50 selling jerseys last year.  No Redskins players on it.  8 of the 50 though were Giants, Eagles, Cowboys.  When the Giants aren't doing hot they do have marquee players-stars that fans go to watch.  When they debuted the NFL commercial during the SB, they had 3 Giants in it.  No Redskins of course.  I think part of that is the Bruce legacy -- the no frills-no stars-no first strong all pros.   I think and hope Guice might finally change that though.  Will see. 

As Sheehan likes to say, Dan should just lose the way he used to where at least they were most interesting.  Chase stars in FA versus have Jay say with a serious face yeah we considered Calais Campbell but we got two player instead -- McGee and McClain!  To me that was the vintage statement of the Bruce Allen era albeit said by Jay.  When Russell said he heard Jay and Bruce butted heads about FA in the past but especially last year -- that didn't surprise me. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But for more casual fans I don't think this team has much juice.  I saw the list of the top 50 selling jerseys last year.  No Redskins players on it.  8 of the 50 though were Giants, Eagles, Cowboys.  When the Giants aren't doing hot they do have marquee players-stars that fans go to watch.  When they debuted the NFL commercial during the SB, they had 3 Giants in it.  No Redskins of course.  I think part of that is the Bruce legacy -- the no frills-no stars-no first strong all pros.   I think and hope Guice might finally change that though.

This is spot on! Almost every team has a "guy" that you can post on the front of the season ticket email banner or draped over the side of a building beside the stadium. Who is that guy, that face if the team, the player that's leading the sport center segment for the Redskins? 

Draft geeks like Kiper say like a mantra if you get 2-3 players out of a draft that's a good one.  GM's strike out on most of their picks.  That's why people like Kiper, Parcells, etc say the most important thing to do in the draft is to accumulate picks to increase your odds.  Heck even our own Doug Williams was quoted last year saying the draft is a crap shoot.  

Heck even the best at this rep wise John Schneider has plenty of bad picks -- heck and even flat out bad drafts in the mix.  From what some of the beat people have said about Scot, the powers that be behind the scenes didn't have beefs with his drafting ability it was the extra circular stuff.  Supposedly they heavily relied on Scot's (Jay and Campbell admitted it) board in both FA and the draft in 2017 after he left.

For example I've not only seen Scot but plenty others hung for missing on third rounders.  But statistically speaking most third rounders are indeed busts.  We got some concerns right now that G. Christian and Apke must be busts.  But heck if that goes down, that's not a statistical surprise.  It happens more than 50% of the time.  Your 4th rounder being a bust and your 5th rounder succeeding -- as it might happen for the Redskins in the last draft -- that's just part of the randomness of the draft.

Scot's 2015 draft was killer.  Scherff was a great pick, pro bowler. People went nuts about L. Williams but few are saying that now.  Williams isn't special -- the Jets are talking about trading him.  Preston Smith is likely about to get 10-14 million a year -- so he's far from a bust.  Compare him to the other 2nd rounders we've had over the years -- looking at him that way, we should build a shrine to the dude. 😀   Crowder for a 4th rounder was a great pick.  Jarrett for a 6th rounder -- another great pick, just befallen by bad luck.    Your 5th rounder, Spaight, being a backup LB for years and starting some is a good pick for that round.  Reiter is a starter in this league.   So he way exceed the 2-3 players.

Scot's 2016 draft was so so to good.  Not terrible IMO.  Doctson so far looks like just a guy -- not that uncommon sadly for a first round WR not panning out.  Cravens looks like a bust.  Fuller looks like a great 3rd round pick.  Ioannidis looks like an outstanding 5th rounder.  The Eagles think they robbed us with Sudfeld and I heard they might tender him as a 2nd rounder as a restricted FA.   But the key thing about this draft is they traded away their 4th rounder and accumulated three picks for the 2017 draft by trading down.  That's not a big deal I think for most of us because I seem to typically be the only one who touts this point over the years.  But its very Belichick and its how you build winners -- trade today for tomorrow. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

I believe Scotty McDoogle hit a home run with Scherff. I don't wanna touch the whole "he should/shouldn't have been canned" thing but I appreciate what he did drafting Scherff.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

246 pages of he is dodo

Hey that's how many pages this thr..duhh nevermind.

20 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm just thinking of how different the NFL is just from the 80s to now...whole different ball game..way to much money and greed involved... I loved how the NFL was a hobby in the day not a job.

Talk about different.... look how TINY the OL were..... ok this is the 70's.

I was looking for any other number 62s in DC sports history, after the caps just picked up Hagelin

Sting Ray Schoenke

007484.jpg

Archived