Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will be the best regular season record this season, and how many teams will attain it?

hail2skins

I've heard comments over the last few weeks that basically can be summarized by "is there any team in the league that's very good?"  Started doing some research and found that, since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, there have only been six seasons where the best record in the league was 12-4.  Two teams got to 12-4 in 1979, three teams got to 12-4 in 1980, 1988, 1993, and 2002, and five teams got to 12-4 in 2014.  In all of the other seasons, at least one team got to 13-3 or better.

Given what you've observed so far, do you see any team getting to 12-4/13-3 this season.  Right now there are two 5-1 teams, the Chiefs and the Eagles. Both would only need to go 7-3 over the remainder of the season to get to 12-4......I can see the Chiefs getting there, the Eagles I'm less confident in. The 4-2 teams, including perennial powers like the Patriots and Steelers, would need to go 8-2 the rest of the way to get there. Both have been shaky, and I'm not sure if either gets to 12-4.

I know that there's a lot left and injuries (like Rodgers in GB) can always play a major role, but just curious to see what others thought. 

I'm with ya.  I am bullish on Kansas City - less so Philadelphia.  We agree there.

Thing is, I believe that this is a transition period in The NFL.  The teams that we've grown accustomed to are receding...New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Seattle.  And the Green Bay Rodgers injury furthers the opportunity for a new breed to step into the void.  

Will there be a Breakout Year for a new team?  Perhaps. 

To answer to your question, I see a group getting hot and building momentum.  The tricky part is identifying that team right now.  

So who will it be?  I say keep an eye on Los Angeles(Rams), Buffalo (that Defense!), and US!  (If The Skins go up to Philly and Win, look out!)

It's gonna be a fun year to watch & see who steps up.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, Diehard Otis said:

I'm with ya.  I am bullish on Kansas City - less so Philadelphia.  We agree there.

Thing is, I believe that this is a transition period in The NFL.  The teams that we've grown accustomed to are receding...New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Seattle.  And the Green Bay Rodgers injury furthers the opportunity for a new breed to step into the void.  

Will there be a Breakout Year for a new team?  Perhaps. 

To answer to your question, I see a group getting hot and building momentum.  The tricky part is identifying that team right now.  

So who will it be?  I say keep an eye on Los Angeles(Rams), Buffalo (that Defense!), and US!  (If The Skins go up to Philly and Win, look out!)

It's gonna be a fun year to watch & see who steps up.

The Skins aren't winning 12 games and they aren't winning 11 games.  At best, maybe they get 10 games.

Kansas City may get 12/13 wins.  Philly has an outside shot, will have to wait and see.  If they are for real, then they will. If not, they will fall to 10-11 wins.  I don't think anyone else will get to 12 wins.  Could be alot of 10-11 win teams.  The 7th place team in both conferences may have 9 or 10 wins.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Skins aren't winning 12 games and they aren't winning 11 games.  At best, maybe they get 10 games.

Kansas City may get 12/13 wins.  Philly has an outside shot, will have to wait and see.  If they are for real, then they will. If not, they will fall to 10-11 wins.  I don't think anyone else will get to 12 wins.  Could be alot of 10-11 win teams.  The 7th place team in both conferences may have 9 or 10 wins.

It would be difficult, but the Philly game holds the key to this equation.  I admit it would be difficult, but don't underestimate the power of a good team understanding how good it can be.

(that's not to say that I necessarily disagree with your post)

3 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

It would be difficult, but the Philly game holds the key to this equation.  I admit it would be difficult, but don't underestimate the power of a good team understanding how good it can be.

(that's not to say that I necessarily disagree with your post)

Ah, but we disagree that the Skins are a good team.  They aren't as bad as the 5-11 team, I thought going into the season.  They aren't a good team, they are mediocre. They are a 7-9 win team.  Gruden has taken a team that usually had double digit losses and made it into a mediocre team.

You may want to enjoy this season because, we have no clue who our QB is in 2018. Unless Kirk wins a playoff game, I don't see the Skins even attempt to resign him. He may get tagged; so we can get something for trading him.  If Kirks leaves, who's at QB?

So, enjoy whatever happens this year; it could really be a long year in 2018.

17 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ah, but we disagree that the Skins are a good team.  They aren't as bad as the 5-11 team, I thought going into the season.  They aren't a good team, they are mediocre. They are a 7-9 win team.  Gruden has taken a team that usually had double digit losses and made it into a mediocre team.

You may want to enjoy this season because, we have no clue who our QB is in 2018. Unless Kirk wins a playoff game, I don't see the Skins even attempt to resign him. He may get tagged; so we can get something for trading him.  If Kirks leaves, who's at QB?

So, enjoy whatever happens this year; it could really be a long year in 2018.

WoW.

You are right.  We couldn't be more staunchly in disagreement!  I am convinced these Washington Redskins are one of the 4 best teams in The NFC.  Hands down!

(That earlier post was MY mistake!)

Eagles will go 13-3 or 12-4 and be the top seed in the NFC and probably have the best record in the NFL.  I know praising Philly isnt popular on these boards and why should it be.  But to those of you who "STILL" refuse to believe that Philly is for real is gonna look really stupid soon.  I have never seen an Eagles team more clutch and ready week in and week out then this team.  Very well rounded and mature team.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:49 PM, EaglesTruth said:

Eagles will go 13-3 or 12-4 and be the top seed in the NFC and probably have the best record in the NFL.  I know praising Philly isnt popular on these boards and why should it be.  But to those of you who "STILL" refuse to believe that Philly is for real is gonna look really stupid soon.  I have never seen an Eagles team more clutch and ready week in and week out then this team.  Very well rounded and mature team.

Who are you and what have you done with Westy?

On 10/21/2017 at 12:49 AM, EaglesTruth said:

Clutch eagles team = oxymoron.

The implosion begins tonight :eagles_suck::cheers:

Archived