Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Return of the King

Henry

Two weeks out and a buddy of mine sends me this EM. I thought I'd share:

"The ****S. There's been Director's and Writer's Guild screenings the past week, and the World Premiere in Wellington, NZ wrapped up a few hours ago.

Here's one fellow (Moriarty of AICN, actually) who caught a WGA screening Thanksgiving evening, I scoured his non-spoiler mini-review offa CHUD.com message board:

"It's amazing. It's better than you think it's going to be.

"It is astonishing. There's a stretch in the middle where PJ hits an emotional crescendo that lasts almost an hour and a half... I don't think I've ever been so worked up in a movie. I didn't know if I should stay seated or jump up or what. It's preposterously great.

"Take all the emotional power of the first film... and double it.

"Take the battle intensity of the second one... and double it.

"Then put them together.

"I talked to three people at the DGA afterwards... all three are voting Academy members, and all three are guys who are part of major voting blocks. They all said the same thing: 'There is no competition for that. There can't be.'

"And the crowd... a fairly blase industry crowd... went nuts. They applauded at least eight different scenes."

After the premier they have already said it will get the oscar for director and might for best picture :)

I can't wait.

Oh, there is rumor of a prequel already based on the "Hobbit". The Director talked about it at the premier.

Damn here I was thinking..oh well hey it is going to be the final one..the first one was freaking amazing and while the second one was fine..it sort of left a bad impression on me..not making me as pumped up for this one. But now after reading that little snippit..Im going to go get tickets extra early.

Two Towers was jumpy and inconsistent. It lacked the flow of the first movie. Part of that was how the book was, but a large part was also how he put it together. No one would seriously think Two Towers was on the same level as a movie as the first, obviously. But, it was also just not as enjoyable as many movies are. I haven't seen the extended version though.

Originally posted by Muskrat

I am SOOO anticipating RotK!

Oh, and how was anyone disappointed with TTT? ..and if so, I suggest you check out the extended edition. Awesome.

Actually, Art summed up my feelings quite nicely on TTT.

The first movie had a steady consistant flow whereas the TT's was filled with constant slow downs and while it had some awsome scenes, as a whole, I'm not drawn to watch it again and again.

Basically for me, there were too many slow areas of the movie and what I thought was unnecessary dialog at times.

But I havent seen the extended edition either.

i thought LOTR was an epic movie. good story telling, amazing scenery, and nice action.

TTT was a good movie, but like art said, not up to par established by LOTR. much better action, good scenery (not as good as LOTR), but poor plot pace.

if ROTK can combine the scenery and story telling of LOTR with the action of TTT, it will solidify this as one of the best (if not THE best) trilogy out there.

Anyone who thought T2T was choppy will probably like the extended version even less. I happen to think it's all good, but pacing becomes even more of an issue when you add 43 extra minutes to a theee hour movie.

Just remember there was no WAY they could structure the second movie the way that Tolkein did the second book. T2T was basically two seperate stories, and Tolkein wrote them that way. The entire first half of the book is the Strider/Legolas/Gimli story, and the entire second half is Frodo/Sam. Jackson had to figure out how to mix the two storylines together, not to mention the Merry/Pippin/Treebeard section, and then he added the whole section with the elves and Arwen (not my favorite plotline personally) which wasn't really in the book at all. At one point there are four or five storylines being told at the same time. Plus there's the break in the middle when Galadriel goes into her "the story so far" monologue.

Just remember that Jackson treated this trilogy as a single large movie, and T2T is the smack-dab middle of it. There's a lot of transitional stuff that he's got to cover, and it doesn't work wonderfully as a stand-alone movie. But then again, it's not meant to.

That's why I have a hard time comparing a trilogy like this to other similar series', like, oh I dont know, Star Wars. The structuring is very different.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Henry,

There was another way to do it. That way was to do it like the book did. Hell, even make it a FOUR movie series if you must. But the story in TTT just doesn't flow as well as it should or did when I read it. It may not be ideal cinema but if you're not following the book anyway, why not make a three book series a four movie series :).

Quite honestly, I found TTT to be the hardest of the books to get through...on the other hand, I feel the extended version makes the film longer, yet holds the film together better, allowing for more character (and story) development in several areas: Gollum, Faramir, and the Ents...with lesser added development to Aragorn and the Hobbits.

Actually, if you look at the actual TIMELINES that exist in the books, you'll find that Jackson follows them better than Tolkien himself did in some cases...

Sigh. I guess I really do have some reading to do. Book one it is. readpb.gif

Oh..whoops...er.... I mean Lord of the Rings. book.gif

:cheers:

Still can't wait to see that 3rd one. Sigh.......tap...tap...tap...... Are we there yet? :silly:

Henry, I totally agree with your assesment of the TT's.

I hated the Liv Tyler stuff in TTT's, it was boring as hell. You summed up what Jackson was trying to do quite well, but it was too much for me. I have the DVD, but I've really never watched it (other than the special features), once was enough for that movie.

But I have watched the FOTR 4 or 5 times.

Interesting footnote to the Harry Potter movie experience. I haven't read any of the books, thought the first movie was decent and liked the 2nd one better. My wife, on the other hand, read both of those books, loved the first film but really was disappointed in the second one.

We both agree on LotR, however, even though I'm the only one who's read the books..in fact, she is insanely in love with these films now. Totally shocked me...

The extended edition of TT adds some stuff that ties together the story a lot better than the theatrical version did, but it also throws in some unnecessary, distracting scenes. A lot of the movie could have been much tighter in the theatrical version.

However, I loved it, and I cannot wait until RotK. I'm pretty mad that it doesn't come to Australia until Dec 26--shouldn't we get a bonus for being adjacent to New Zealand?

The Harry Potter books are leagues better than the movies. There's no comparison (but there's hope for the upcoming movies).

One question about the Potter films: the books take place in successive years, yet the films are going to be more spread apart...eventually, they may run into a problem keeping the cast together (not to mention aging causing a problem).

OK, so I have a question for everyone – what was the deal with the parallel stories going on with Froto and his sidekick in TT? I mean, were they kidnapped, or riding the damn talking tree?

I purchased the DVD, so maybe I need to watch it again – but I could not figure that out for anything.

Archived