Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017-2018 Winter Weather Thread.

Chew

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Ugh the Weather Channel's asinine naming of winter storms thing has caught on. People suck.

I agree that this is super annoying.  Obviously storms with names probably produce more viewers, but it's stupid.  At least if you are going to unnecessarily name winter weather events, get creative.  They have so far been like Sandy or Ethel or ****ing Mindy.  Grandma names.  I wouldn't give them people names, I would give them FEROCIOUS ANIMAL names.  Winter Storm GHOST THE DIREWOLF or Tropical Vortex TYRANNOSAURUS REX and the like.  The rule of thumb should be if the storm is major enough to get named, it should get a name that causes people to panic.  

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree that this is super annoying.  Obviously storms with names probably produce more viewers, but it's stupid.  At least if you are going to unnecessarily name winter weather events, get creative.  They have so far been like Sandy or Ethel or ****ing Mindy.  Grandma names.  I wouldn't give them people names, I would give them FEROCIOUS ANIMAL names.  Winter Storm GHOST THE DIREWOLF or Tropical Vortex TYRANNOSAURUS REX and the like.  The rule of thumb should be if the storm is major enough to get named, it should get a name that causes people to panic.  

Metal bands.

Winter Storm Iced Earth

Tropical Storm Decrepit Birth

You get the picture.

26 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You may be on to something.  Thought of this when I saw you're post:

https://www.npr.org/2014/06/03/318414845/research-americans-less-fearful-of-storms-with-female-names

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Mythical creatures are better. 

"Area schools have closed in anticipation of Storm Ijiraq." 

"Wendigo is a bad one folks, be sure to have enough supplies for at least 4 days."

"We're expecting blizzard like condition as Cylcone Yuki-onna moves into the region." 

If people went through all the trouble of coming up with these monsters and passed them down for generations, we might as well use them to scare people into watching the weather channel. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hate snow so much.  Morning commute was completely unsafe.  They didn't pretreat the roads in my city for yesterday's storm, and they didn't plow them this morning because they claim they can't plow when the snow is less than two inches deep.  So instead what we got were roads covered in sheets of hard packed ice.  And way too many people on them driving aggressively.

Coldest temp in my town in over 20 years.  Got down to 26.

Freaked me out at 3 am when my pool emergency system turned on and my hot tub and lights started going.

Going to lose some plants, but also  it was freezing long enough for the ground to freeze.  That'll help kill the mosquito and noseeums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived