Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

It appears that we men have a difficult time balancing our caveman ancestry wiuth the requirements of modern civilization.  It cuts across party lines, social lines, financial lines, racial lines, educational lines.  I bet a good percentage of the men responding in this thread are conveniently forgetting things that they themselves have done.   

I would have guessed Trump or Moore or Weinstein.  I might have guessed Al Franken.  I would never have guessed Charlie Rose, not in a million years.

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Stephen Hawking.

I should not have laughed at this but I did.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Predicto said:

I would have guessed Trump or Moore or Weinstein.  I might have guessed Al Franken.  I would never have guessed Charlie Rose, not in a million years.

I should not have laughed at this but I did.  

There's a part of me that wonders if a few of these are good ole fashioned 17th Century Salem cries of "Witch!" "Witch!" "Witch!" I really don't know what is the truth. He may be as guilty as the rest. I do suspect he's at least partly guilty.

Charlie's apology is an interesting one in that I think it is an act of contrition and confusion.

• Like 1

Got to be careful, there is a tipping point, feels like we are at least getting close to it.  

Part of the human existence is our sexuality.  Everyone will experience rejection, humiliation, unwanted advances, and encounters they will later regret.  There is no avoiding this and the propogation of our species.  Where the gray area is when one person is in a position of power.  Because if Charlie Rose worked at a toys r us, he would be the butt of jokes, nothing more or less.  Where there is no gray area is full blown sexual assault, like Weinstein and OReilly.

Regardless, so many of these power hungry types are straight up perverted predators.  It makes sense realy, the sexual retardation resulting from a life spent focused 100 percent on work.  I think that dovetails with the fact these things seem to surface later in life, almost as if they are trying to make up for a youth they spent chasing their careers instead of chasing women.  Who knows though, at the end of the day Im glad these creeps are getting outed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

.  I bet a good percentage of the men* responding in this thread are conveniently forgetting things that they themselves have done.   

*and women

The line between inappropriateness is often nothing more than power.  Go to a sorority fraternity mixer at a state school and observe from the corner... much of what women do to men and what men do to women at those things would all be severely inappropriate were one to have power over the other.  But since theyre all college kids, none of it really matters

Im not talking about the cornering and wanking into a potted plant... im talking more about groping, etc.  Which, is where i feel like we are going soon with all of this

While I suspect that some of the recent allegations are not true and used as a vehicle for a particular person to have their spotlight or whatever they hope to achieve by lying, i don’t think those instances take away or diminish the true accounts that have been hitting the news and we shouldn’t eyeroll when new stories come out. 

I know here are degrees of severity to all this recent news but I don’t worry about reaching a saturation point, i welcome all forms of this type of behavior coming to light so we can deal with it accordingly. For far too long, many of these behaviors, even the lighter versions have become acceptable and just dismissed as guys being guys etc (and it happens on the other side as well) and if this type of mass reckoning is what it takes to enlighten us to what is and isn’t tolerable, I think we as a society stand to benefit greatly in the long run.

Our base instincts shouldn’t be just “take what I want, give it a shot and see if it is reciprocated”, and that’s not a base instinct I’ve ever felt anyway. We have to be better than that. I hate that all of this has happened for so long but I respect all of the victims for coming out and I hope more continue to do so. While I agree that being in a position of power adds a different element to it, the worker at Walmart or student in the frat/sorority party isn’t any less wrong for doing these things either.  

Let’s use this moment in history as a chance to continue to evolve and move forward into a better people 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Predicto said:

I would never have guessed Charlie Rose, not in a million years.

I know a woman who worked as a photographer on his show, and described him as an absolute scumbag off camera. She hated him, and said he constantly made lewd tasteless sexual comments.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Who's next? Tom Hanks?

the first...and biggest... domino was Bill Cosby   

if allegations against Mr Rogers start to circulate, i am honestly going to start crying on the shoulders of random strangers on the metro :(

1 minute ago, mcsluggo said:

the first...and biggest... domino was Bill Cosby   

if allegations against Mr Rogers start to circulate, i am honestly going to start crying on the shoulders of random strangers on the metro :(

I feel you, but honestly, the most shocking ones would surprise me the least. Partially the reason why in the other thread about Manson, I agreed with the notion about the "face of evil."

The most dangerous animal in the jungle isn't the big cat or snake, it's the pretty flower, beautiful tiny frog that looks like a childs dream pet, or unseen spider when you sit on a log, that you may let your guard down against, because they don't "look" like something dangerous