Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

6 hours ago, Larry said:

"Mental Health" is simply a code phrase for "Now that this has happened, I would be all right if this one person wasn't allowed to have more guns, but don't you dare try to take away the guns from the probably millions of people who fit the same profile."  

Onion: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

And the really bad thing about this Onion article?  It's recycled. They bring it out like once a year, and just change the name of the city.  

I think this is the fourth seventeenth time they've used it?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'No_Way_To_Prevent_This,'_Says_Only_Nation_Where_This_Regularly_Happens

7 hours ago, Larry said:

"Mental Health" is simply a code phrase for "Now that this has happened, I would be all right if this one person wasn't allowed to have more guns, but don't you dare try to take away the guns from the probably millions of people who fit the same profile."  

Onion: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

And the really bad thing about this Onion article?  It's recycled. They bring it out like once a year, and just change the name of the city.  

I think this is the fourth time they've used it?  

I have no faith in the problem ever being fixed once and for all. What we should do is have a national boycott of all retail stores. No one go shopping anywhere until we have significant gun control laws on the books. I find it ridiculous that people think their right to own a gun is more important than my friends and family being safe in a grocery store, church, school, movie theater, etc. Its repugnant and selfish.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I have no faith in the problem ever being fixed once and for all. What we should do is have a national boycott of all retail stores. No one go shopping anywhere until we have significant gun control laws on the books. I find it ridiculous that people think their right to own a gun is more important than my friends and family being safe in a grocery store, church, school, movie theater, etc. Its repugnant and selfish.

I don't think there are enough people passionate about this topic to make a dent.

On the fear topic let’s not forget that some right wingers believe(d)...

- small hordes of ANTIFA were roving the American landscape sacking cities and towns.

- Obama was going to invade Texas.  

- FEMA camps.

- Cities had “fallen” to BLM protestors.

- Civil war is imminent.

- Liberals have stolen the election.

- False flag operations are being staged to take away their guns.

- Liberal leaders and their wealthy backers are literally eating  children.

If I believed all that, and moving to somewhere else was out of the question, I’d be armed to the teeth.  I’d also have a dim view of the government trying to take my guns away.  

Fear is certainly playing a role in gun sales and opposition to any gun control legislation.

• Like 7

Fear is definitely a factor in increased sales:

Gun industry prepares for a surge in demand after back-to-back mass shootings

After mass shootings in Boulder and Atlanta that killed 18 people in the span of a single week, lawmakers are once again calling for stricter gun regulation in America. The gun industry is already preparing for a surge of sales.

"When you hear more calls for firearm restrictions, we have observed gun sale increases primarily from people buying before they're not able to," said Rob Southwick, founder of the market research firm Southwick Associates.

It's too soon to know how the back-to-back shootings will affect sales of firearms, industry experts say. Reliable figures from federal background checks won't be released until next month. But if history is any guide, gun dealers and manufacturers can expect a surge in demand.

The pattern of rising gun sales following mass shootings has held true regardless of which political party is in power: Fears of future restrictions prompt gun owners to stock up.

Gun sales surged in January 2013 in the weeks following the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting that left 27 dead, most of them children.

Similarly, gun sellers said they were inundated with orders for bump stocks after the devices were used in the Las Vegas massacre that killed 58 people in October 2017.

Firearms sales rose 12.6% year over year in February 2018 following the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre in Parkland, Florida, according to Bloomberg.

"It's a longstanding pattern," said David Kopel, an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank.

Click on the link for the full article

9 minutes ago, China said:

Fear is definitely a factor in increased sales:

Gun industry prepares for a surge in demand after back-to-back mass shootings

After mass shootings in Boulder and Atlanta that killed 18 people in the span of a single week, lawmakers are once again calling for stricter gun regulation in America. The gun industry is already preparing for a surge of sales.

As predictable as the Onion recycling their article.  

Part of the reason why the NRA, who is completely owned by the gun industry, is steadfast about doing nothing about mass shootings is because the industry profits from it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think there are enough people passionate about this topic to make a dent.

Of course it won't, boycotting is hard to accomplish. I can only think of two successful boycotts in American history: the bus boycott and the tea boycott. 

Most people would rather shop for convenience than literally do nothing to bring about change. I'm not preaching, I can't say I'm any better.

“You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Men, we need to control the bullets, that’s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars… five thousand dollars per bullet… You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders.
Yeah! Every time somebody get shut we’d say, ‘Damn, he must have done something ... ****, he’s got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.’
And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your ****ing head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’
So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you wouldn't have to go to no doctor to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back, like "I believe you got my property.”

― Chris Rock

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

“You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Men, we need to control the bullets, that’s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars… five thousand dollars per bullet… You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders.
Yeah! Every time somebody get shut we’d say, ‘Damn, he must have done something ... ****, he’s got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.’
And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your ****ing head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’
So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you wouldn't have to go to no doctor to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back, like "I believe you got my property.”

― Chris Rock

I’d support this.  I could sell the ammo I have and go buy an island to retire on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I’d support this.  I could sell the ammo I have and go buy an island to retire on.

if the government had a trade in your guns for krispy kreme program we would have very few guns left

the only ones would be for self protection and violent crime would decrease drastically

make it happen Biden

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

if the government had a trade in your guns for krispy kreme program we would have very few guns left

the only ones would be for self protection and violent crime would decrease drastically

make it happen Biden

Apparently, Krispy Kreme is giving away a free donut with proof of vaccination.

• Like 1

My town made national news again

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/us/virginia-beach-shootings/index.html

Two people are dead and at least eight injured after shootings near the oceanfront in Virginia Beach, Virginia, police said Saturday.

Police found at least eight victims at "the original crime scene" when they arrived shortly after 11 p.m.
Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Two people are dead and at least eight injured after shootings near the oceanfront in Virginia Beach, Virginia, police said Saturday.

Police found at least eight victims at "the original crime scene" when they arrived shortly after 11 p.m.

That’s a very confusing story.  A lot going on there.  Some related, some not.  Hope the wounded pull through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Didn’t know you lived down here.  We live close enough that we could hear the sirens and everything.  I got up and locked the door and we listened to it all on the police scanner.