Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:


No one could’ve predicted this.

Nope.

 

And the solution is clearly more guns.  I mean those hundreds of police officers outside of the supermarket with guns wasn't enough good guys with guns. 

 

We need more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

So I've seen "person of interest" and "suspect" used, plus he was taken in alive...for a white a guy that killed ten people (an officer included). If it was any other...nevermind, I give up.


you were saying???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:


you were saying???

 

That his skin color changes the narrative and how the event ended.

 

*Added - and now that his name is released the narrative shifts again, such as your question.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

 

That his skin color changes the narrative and how the event ended.

 

*Added - and now that his name is released the narrative shifts again, such as your question.

image.gif.2fde3e1877ebbb00e9ed55c2a06864c5.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Treading lightly here.  To my fellow common sense deocrats - do everything in your power to close gun show loopholes, beef up background checks, lengthen the amount of time before you can purchase a gun after submitting your paperwork, ban high-cap mags/drums, etc.  I'm good with sweeping reform on the gun purchasing process.  

But do not flat out ban assault rifles.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What exactly are you just saying? 


That the admittedly imperfect narrative that people with dark complexions tend to receive harsher treatment at point of arrest than people of lighter complexion still holds in this case.

 

And as an interesting counterpoint, the moment the picture broke yesterday of the perp being walked out in handcuffs MAGA Twitter let loose with an avalanche of “false flag/gun control” takes.  Why?  Because of his complexion, I would think.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lemme see..

Thought and prayers: check!

Time for grieving: check!

Its not the gun's fault: check!

 

Hmm, well I'm out of ideas. Maybe be should pray for the grieving gun thats been given a bad rap?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've come to hate the "mental health" argument not because I think that mental health doesn't sometimes play a role in these mass shootings, but because at every opportunity to address mental health in this country these handwringers have screamed "no." They don't want additional money for insurance, for testing, for facilities, for training, for care, etc, but they want to scream that MENTAL HEALTH is the real problem.

 

If conservatives won't address the mental health issue then it's just empty words. During the Trump era when Republicans controlled all three branches or even after they lost the house have they ever proposed anything to deal with these "mental health" issues? On the contrary, they voted to reduce funding and access to care.

 

So, they either don't believe their arguments, are stupid, or both.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've come to hate the "mental health" argument not because I think that mental health doesn't sometimes play a role in these mass shootings, but because at every opportunity to address mental health in this country these handwringers have screamed "no." They don't want additional money for insurance, for testing, for facilities, for training, for care, etc, but they want to scream that MENTAL HEALTH is the real problem.

 

"Mental Health" is simply a code phrase for "Now that this has happened, I would be all right if this one person wasn't allowed to have more guns, but don't you dare try to take away the guns from the probably millions of people who fit the same profile."  

 

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Lemme see..

Thought and prayers: check!

Time for grieving: check!

Its not the gun's fault: check!

 

Hmm, well I'm out of ideas. Maybe be should pray for the grieving gun thats been given a bad rap?

 

Onion: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

 

And the really bad thing about this Onion article?  It's recycled. They bring it out like once a year, and just change the name of the city.  

 

I think this is the fourth time they've used it?  

 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When there were no meaningful long term changes after someone gunned down 26 people at an elementary school, I knew it was over for America. I expect absolutely no significant changes to take place following this or any future shooting. The blood spilled in these shootings is treated like a necessary price for freedom, a sad reality of an ideal system, rather than a sign that something is terribly wrong with the laws and culture we've developed.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bacon said:

When there were no meaningful long term changes after someone gunned down 26 people at an elementary school, I knew it was over for America. I expect absolutely no significant changes to take place following this or any future shooting. The blood spilled in these shootings is treated like a necessary price for freedom, a sad reality of an ideal system, rather than a sign that something is terribly wrong with the laws and culture we've developed.

 

I get what you're trying to say, but I wouldn't describe it as "an ideal system" where innocent people are regularly slaughtered while shopping, attending an outdoor concert, or sitting in an elementary school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

 

I get what you're trying to say, but I wouldn't describe it as "an ideal system" where innocent people are regularly slaughtered while shopping, attending an outdoor concert, or sitting in an elementary school.


Nor would I. 2nd amendment apologists would say that, not those of us sincerely wracking our brains for effective solutions. I personally believe we're totally ****ed.

 

The core problem is that the concept of freedom (not necessarily freedom itself; people are less free than they think) is a drug. As long as the freedom to slaughter one another is treated as one of the many things that makes our country Great™, nothing is going to change. If one side can hide behind "this is how it's always been and it's necessary to our identity," regardless of how shameful that identity may be, the results don't matter. Blood is essentially an expensive tax for our freedoms.

Edited by Bacon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...