Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

False.

You could argue there needs to be more (and I'd agree) but saying there is zero gun control laws at the federal level simply isn't true. 

I think he’s saying that the obvious loopholes that make the laws ineffective essentially amount to zero control. There’s nothing stopping mentally ill psychopaths from legally purchasing military assault rifles. 

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I think he’s saying that the obvious loopholes that make the laws ineffective essentially amount to zero control. There’s nothing stopping mentally ill psychopaths from legally purchasing military assault rifles. 

That may be what he was trying to say but it sure as hell isn't what he did say.

#factsmatter

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

That may be what he was trying to say but it sure as hell isn't what he did say.

#factsmatter

Yeah, I suppose. “Zero” is an absolute which is almost always a fallacy. I don’t take too much umbrage with it though. If the government bans retail stores from selling crack but allows private transactions, I kinda don’t believe them when they say “we’ve already got laws in place to prevent crack distribution”. No, you have intentionally left the door open to allow it.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As I’ve said before...the sad fact is that the United States has ZERO gun control in place at the national level.

None.

Zilch.

Nada.

It is more or less a total free-for-all.

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

False.

You could argue there needs to be more (and I'd agree) but saying there is zero gun control LAWS at the federal level simply isn't true. 

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

#factsmatter

Savor the irony.

Or savor the blatant fallacy.

Get in where you fit in.

22 hours ago, Llevron said:

Dude is basically saying there is no value in human life unless that human life worships HIS god. The same god that does nothing to stop these shootings no matter how much we pray. And wonders why people dont fall for this **** like they used to. Yall do it to yourselves. 

I do not agree with blaming God for allowing this to happen when we are constantly doing it to ourselves by refusing to modify our gun laws.

You ever heard the story about the guy drowning and praying to God for help?  Boat shows up, but guy says hes waiting for God.  They throw him a flotation device and says hes waiting on God.  They swim out to pull him to the boat and refuses saying hes waiting for God. 

When he finally drowns and goes to Heaven, he asks God why he didnt save him.  God, frustrated, responded saying he sent him a boat and everything.

• Like 1

I think that anyone who is against stricter gun laws shouldn't be allowed to participate in the gun control debate, period! These are the same people who spout talking points and other nonsense like : " If you make guns illegal, only criminals will have them", "its because of mental health", "its videogames", "lack of prayer", etc. These are the same people who offer no solutions or what could work, only what will not work.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I do not agree with blaming God for allowing this to happen when we are constantly doing it to ourselves by refusing to modify our gun laws.

I get why you would focus on that part of my post but that wasnt my point so dont think we need to have a deep theological discussion on it -- but if we are using god as an excuse NOT to change the laws, and this is spread by people that are supposed to be leading gods flock, then you would think god would act. But im sure there is something written excusing the inaction as there always is, so we really really dont need to go there. I get it. 

5 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I think that anyone who is against stricter gun laws shouldn't be allowed to participate in the gun control debate, period! These are the same people who spout talking points and other nonsense like : " If you make guns illegal, only criminals will have them", "its because of mental health", "its videogames", "lack of prayer", etc. These are the same people who offer no solutions or what could work, only what will not work.

Is there anyone here who isn't for at least some form of stricter laws?  I can't think of any.  The debate is what those laws should be. 

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I get why you would focus on that part of my post but that wasnt my point so dont think we need to have a deep theological discussion on it -- but if we are using god as an excuse NOT to change the laws, and this is spread by people that are supposed to be leading gods flock, then you would think god would act. But im sure there is something written excusing the inaction as there always is, so we really really dont need to go there. I get it. 

I cant give a specific verse that says he wont get involved anymore, I've been looking, but plenty that show jus saying God approves of something doesnt mean he does. 

This maybe offtopic on topic, not sure, but my bigger problem isnt why people that use God to justify these horrible stances so loud, it's why are they the loudest?  Why they always the ones on TV?

Instead of focusing on interpretations of the Bible in relation to public law, think we should focus on interpretations of the constitution:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/establishment_clause

I'd be perfectly fine if a candidate finally said by religious beliefs are separate from my political platform, which I think is much harder then jus not bringing up religious beliefs.  When the gay guy mentions their religion more during the debates then the other candidates, I question the point I'd bringing it up anymore.

56 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I thought he was talking about specific posters on ES.  Rereading it, he may not have been.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant literally EVERYONE. I'm sick of people saying "there is nothing you can do about it", so they do nothing and make sure nothing can be done. A sweeping majority wants stricter gun laws, but the niche market of the NRA donates to politicians who do their bidding. I'll let you guess which side of the political field the NRA spends most of it's money donating to...

11 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As I’ve said before...the sad fact is that the United States has ZERO gun control in place at the national level.

None.

Zilch.

Nada.

It is more or less a total free-for-all.

NRA has an awful lot of money and influence 

Chris Grant, ‘hero’ in El Paso shooting honored by Trump, made it up: authorities

A man who claimed that he hurled bottles to distract the El Paso Walmart gunman — and was even honored by the White House for his actions — lied about some of the details and was not a hero after all, authorities said in new reports.

Chris Grant, 50, was one of 11 people set to be honored Monday by President Trump for their bravery in the midst of the El Paso and Dayton mass shootings, which happened within hours of each other.

Instead, Grant was detained by the Secret Service at the White House — and authorities are questioning his account of events, ABC News reported. His mother, who was in attendance, accepted a certificate of commendation on his behalf.

Grant, who was wounded in the shooting, said that he had hurled bottles at accused gunman Patrick Crusius to try to distract him, rather than fleeing from the rampage that killed 22. Then, he claimed, the shooter turned his weapon on him.

But El Paso police told ABC Wednesday that video surveillance contradicts Grant’s story.

“[His actions] were basically human instincts, survival instincts but they were not heroic or as he described,” police spokesman Enrique Carillo told the network.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1