Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Toomeys comments are encouraging. Maybe something finally happens.

I have been thinking a lot during the day about how to maintain optimism in the face of unimaginable social grief and sadness. I am sad for everyone in this country, left or right, who is hurting about our current situation. Deep down inside most of us know that something is very, very wrong. 

I don’t know how we become a kinder, more fair society, but I know keeping optimism alive somehow despite a barrage of hate and terror is a necessary part of the equation.

So maybe I’m an idiot, but I am going to bed optimistic that maybe we have finally arrived at the lowest point, and that from here we can finally look past the usual BS and acknowledge that small, incremental changes can help us get on the right path.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, visionary said:

Without closing private sale loophole none of this means anything. I was at the US-127 Yard Sale yesterday. A 690 mile long yard sale that stretches from Michigan to Alabama. It took me all of 5 minutes to find a guy selling no less than a dozen AR's many with long range glass attached selling for an easy $675 without glass. 

All without a background check.

So lets talk about "red flags" and mental illness, and criminal backgrounds. I'll go buy a dozen tomorrow. 

Then...

Then I'll go online and buy my AR and AK build kits and with a $20 jig on ebay I as an amateur gunsmith make ghosted ARs that NO ONE KNOWS about. No serial numbers, no registration...complete ghosts.

So yeah, go ahead and ****ing waste our goddamn time, efforts, and momentum passing laws that won't work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I have been thinking a lot during the day about how to maintain optimism in the face of unimaginable social grief and sadness.

Not directing this at you or anything, but when I read your post it made me think about what I was thinking about today.

You know what I was thinking about today at my neighborhood pool when I was there with my son and wife, having a fun Sunday at the pool with family and friends, firing up the grill and having a few ****tails?  WTF would I do if someone came in with a gun and just started shooting up the place.  There is like NOWHERE to hide.  

It's pathetic that this thought actually crossed my mind today.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Now, I'm not saying Disney doesn't invade their customer's privacy.  They absolutely do.  In ways that I find really offensive.  (They're really not even subtle about it, any more.)  

I'm just saying that I'm confident that they don't have a database full of "good enough to convict you for murder" fingerprints of everybody who's gone through the gates.  They can't even maintain a web site that runs decently, or deliver decent cell coverage in the parks.  

Single day pass at Kings Dominion with the fast pass is at least $100, Six Flags doesn't offer fast pass with single day passes.  I plan on going to Busch Gardens around labor day, that's between $45-$75 a day with all day fast pass and mentions nothing of a fingerprint scanner even in security articles from 2019.  If they do and won't let me in unless I do it, I'll leave and let you know. Just for two people for one day in Disney World is like $260, and it wouldn't let me look at fast-pass pricing without going through the ticket process, tells me it'd just be even more.  

They are "hashing" the fingerprint, that's what you mean by keeping a numerical value, which should be a numerical value unique to the fingerprint.  You can underestimate them if you want.  Plenty of them say what they will do what your customer data then we find out something different.  We didn't have to keep putting our fingers in "The Land", but if that hash is meant to be in the system throughout the day, then each time you scan your finger it can't generate a random number from what it caluculates, otherwise it can't match to the number it generated the first time you scanned your finger.  That tells me its a repeatable algorithm and if they don't delete the hash digest, every time you scan your finger that algorithm will generate the same result and can continue to be matched.  

Apparently reading around you can show a Photo ID when you first get in and get redirected to somewhere to get okay'd, they just don't say that because they don't want the lines to get in the individual parks to take forever.  When did they start doing that at DisneyLand? Everywhere I'm reading is they still haven't yet.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What exactly is an assault rifle?

Are you being serious?

Here's what I remind folks, when I was in Basic Training in the Army we literally spent weeks shooting our M16's EVERY DAY. Over 1,000 rounds down range ALL on semi-auto single shot. You know how many times I shot my M16 on full auto?

1.....1 time 30 rounds, at night.

So you tell me, how was the Army training ME a soldier to kill human beings with my M16? On full auto spray and pray, or one shot one kill, quick target acquisition semi-auto combat?

So if the US Army gave ME that assault rifle (because apparently the full auto capability is what the idiots insist is needed for that designation) yet they trained me to use my M16 as if it were an AR15 then you tell me the difference.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Vagueness isn't good when crafting policy.  And there is a lot of vagueness there.

A big ass gun that can shoot many bullets and kill many people. Is that specific enough? I wasn't trying to write a bill.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Vagueness isn't good when crafting policy.  And there is a lot of vagueness there.

ANY semi-auto rifle with capacity for extended mags. And the minute someone posts a hunting rifle alongside an AR that person will out themselves as a fool. The 5.56 round was NOT designed for hunting deer. It was designed for killing humans. And THAT is an undeniable fact.

• Like 2