The Sisko

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

In this case, no you don't get to think both parties suck (or are the same) on the subject of gun control. One would act and is trying to. One does not. Not on mental health issues, gun issues, or anything related to the violence other than to egg it on by instigating more otherism and hate.

 

The GOP does what it does, because a huge part of this country lacks a basic level civics education and understanding of how lawmaking is done. 

 

They know exactly well that people like Taze, who are poorly informed on how Congress functions, are a good majority of the voting public. They know that killing bills by just ignoring them, rather than debating and voting on them, will result in people just deciding that all of Congress is to blame. 

 

It’s a really clever way of destroying the public’s confidence in government and inducing apathy to the point, that you aren’t held responsible.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This is why background checks is a bull**** half assed effort that will solve NOTHING.

Universal Background checks are supposed to take into account domestic violence and mental health issues.  If you combined that with Red Flag initiative, I'd go further and require a doctor's note to purchase a firearm and investigate affiliations with any hate groups.  If we agree that no single thing will solve anything, we should do this to help or at least simply because of the fact its not being done.

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Obama and a democratically controlled congress had a chance to get an assault weapons ban 2008-2010... lets hope democrats don’t blow it again in 2020...

Trump and Republicans had two years to do the same thing from 2016-2018.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Universal Background checks are supposed to take into account domestic violence and mental health issues.  If you combined that with Red Flag initiative, I'd go further and require a doctor's note to purchase a firearm and investigate affiliations with any hate groups.  If we agree that no single thing will solve anything, we should do this to help or at least simply because of the fact its not being done.

 

we should do that for voting as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

what’s the over/under on the ammount of mass shooting deaths we need to average per day to get enough republicans on board with an assault weapons ban? 

 

"One man's death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic"

 

It's not how many die, its who dies, really, and who's doing the shooting.  As long as most of the shootings are being done by people they defend against people they demonize, don't expect much.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

 

we should do that for voting as well

No way, you already have one party using every excuse under the sun to stop people from voting, they would have a field day with this.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

 

"One man's death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic"

 

It's not how many die, its who dies, really, and who's doing the shooting.  As long as most of the shootings are being done by people they defend against people they demonize, don't expect much.

 

I wish this was the case, but the GOP representative that was shot seems to be even more of a gun rights supporter now. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

For the ostriches,  I guess video games are the new “This is Eminem and Marylin Manson’s fault!” 

 

Ugh. 

Nothing new here. Politicians were blaming video games back then too. It's just not bi-partisan now cause it's obviously ****ing stupid.

 

 

Edited by Cooked Crack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

"One man's death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic"

 

It's not how many die, its who dies, really, and who's doing the shooting.  As long as most of the shootings are being done by people they defend against people they demonize, don't expect much.

If a Leftist documented his journey from buying an AR from a yard sale, posting his motivations about proving how stupid the Right's arguments are about gun control, and gun laws, and mental illness then went and shot up a white Evangelical church in Indiana THEN it would be about the Left.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hersh said:

 

I wish this was the case, but the GOP representative that was shot seems to be even more of a gun rights supporter now. 

 

There's no doubt in my mind someone went out of their way to pay him for his stance.  Someone walks into a GOP fundraiser and starts clipping folks they way people are doing it in walmart parking lots, maybe we get some traction.  Thing is, I don't want that, it will be tit for tat at that point, we're talking assassinations in that case, that's the last thing we need.  The second we except changing our government with bullets instead of ballots, we're done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perhaps we should limit young peoples internet use to approved sites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

True, but irrelevant?

 

How is that irrelevant when the conversation is about both sides doing nothing when the Republicans had control of all three branches of government and used it to block any gun legislation on a national level?  There's a difference between not doing anything and blocking everything, GOP had the power to do something about this as well and did the opposite, they made it worse.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burgold said:

In this case, no you don't get to think both parties suck (or are the same) on the subject of gun control. One would act and is trying to. One does not. Not on mental health issues, gun issues, or anything related to the violence other than to egg it on by instigating more otherism and hate.

It's so obvious who only watches FOX news. Those on the right have lost all manner of reasonable ideas, and as their party disintegrates into chaos, they claim "both parties" suck so they don't have to be responsible for the sh!t show the GOP has become. They are destroying America!

Edited by Skintime
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every country has violent video games.  We are the only place that kills each other so grotesquely.  The GOP is really depraved.  Disgusting.  They'd rather accept this bloodshed than suggest that we should do something about guns. 

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manifesto:
Channels Michael Savage and other "hard ideological" folks who deem illegal immigration an "invasion". The Democrats are about to take Texas... America is domed when this happens!! Cites corporations as an evil partner in this. All of it is what I would expect a white nationist to say and then claims, "calling me a white nationalist is fake news."

People who act like illegal immigrants have such a great life in America are morons -- "free health care, cell phones, cars.... all paid for by Americans!!!!!". I think Trump says dumb stuff like this.

This has been a losing argument politically for 20+ years... so now that these people don't have a political voice, they are turning to violence.

"My poor, small American dream is ruined, so I am going to take it out on innocent people who are trying to live their own American dream instead of adapting."

Why didn't we have mass shootings during the Great Depression?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

 

It's definitely not the cause, but watching little kids play these games there's no doubt in mind it further desensitizes them.  I've met kids and even young adults who don't look at Fortnite is a shooting game.  I'd never get my kids a shooting game, I don't care how bad they want it, but parents do that to shut them up and don't even watch them play it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

It's definitely not the cause, but watching little kids play these games there's no doubt in mind it further desensitizes them.  I've met kids and even young adults who don't look at Fortnite is a shooting game.  I'd never get my kids a shooting game, I don't care how bad they want it, but parents do that to shut them up and don't even watch them play it.

the thing is most people can distinguish it as fiction. it doesn't really lead to gun violence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing will happen.  If SandyHook couldn't get real change, nothing will.

 

It's just an unfortunate part of American life now. You don't know if when you step outside , if it will be the last time.

Yes, lots of things can happen but now; you could get shot and killed at a Walmart, the movie theater, etc... because this country loves their guns.

 

Sadly, this mass shooting epidemic may just become a daily thing now. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Every country has violent video games.  We are the only place that kills each other so grotesquely.  The GOP is really depraved.  Disgusting.  They'd rather accept this bloodshed than suggest that we should do something about guns. 

I mean Japan must be over-run with gun violence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

what’s the over/under on the ammount of mass shooting deaths we need to average per day to get enough republicans on board with an assault weapons ban? 

giphy.gif

 

When you've convinced yourself that in no way shape or form are guns the problem, then it doesn't matter how many die.  There will always be some other issue.  Mental health.  Video games.  Not enough guns.  There's always some issue besides the guns themselves.

 

55 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This is why background checks is a bull**** half assed effort that will solve NOTHING.

 

I don't think this is so.  There is a very strong correlation between domestic violence and gun violence.  Sure, some of these people would slip through the cracks, but even if additional background checks didn't drastically lower mass shootings, it'd certainly lower domestic violence homicides.

https://www.joinonelove.org/learn/the-surprising-link-between-mass-shootings-and-domestic-violence-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

 

But background checks won't do enough, and the problem of younger radicalized people without records seems to be growing.  Background checks have to be part of a wider series of reforms.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DogofWar1 said:

I don't think this is so.  There is a very strong correlation between domestic violence and gun violence.  Sure, some of these people would slip through the cracks, but even if additional background checks didn't drastically lower mass shootings, it'd certainly lower domestic violence homicides.

https://www.joinonelove.org/learn/the-surprising-link-between-mass-shootings-and-domestic-violence-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

 

But background checks won't do enough, and the problem of younger radicalized people without records seems to be growing.  Background checks have to be part of a wider series of reforms.

Do you REALLY think that domestic violence cases are going to be used to deny white men gun ownership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.